[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: souls combat.webm (3.77 MB, 1280x720)
3.77 MB
3.77 MB WEBM
Souls is your hitbox vs. theirs in a open, 3D space with free flow movement. You can dodge the attacks any way you want, you can put your weapon anywhere you want, it's just about getting your hitbox to line up with theirs. Enemies are aggressive and will independently attack and overwhelm you. Actions actually have commitment and you can't just cancel out of them with an instant parry or i-frame dodge/jump.

Something like Assassin's Creed and most modern action games are fundamentally different as they are about magnetized attacks, both for you and your enemies, movement and positioning matter very little, enemies will circle around you patiently waiting their turn to attack, and you can instantly cancel out of almost any action with a contextual parry some instant i-frame dodge/jump.

Add onto that a massive variety of enemies and bosses that are aggressive and pose unique dangers with large movesets, incredible level design packed to the brim with secrets, hidden paths, and shortcuts, a generous amount of build variety and playstyles, RPG mechanics that are actually balanced and satisfying and don't lead to spongy enemies or one-shot kills, and a co-op/PvP system, and it's a no-brainer why Souls is as big as it is.
>>
whatever nigga
ds2 bad doe
>>
>>683759996
No, that would be Sekiro. Souls brain rot has ruined FROMSOFT’s design philosophy.
Its great when your character doesn’t control like a slow piece of shit (see, Bloodborne and Sekiro)
Praising Souls this hard makes me think you don’t actually like action games, just the false sense of accomplishment from a boring back and forth
>>
>>683760514
Sekiro is a rhythm game, not even an action game. Every single enemy is dealt with the same way and positioning no longer matters as it's all just parry slop.
>>
>>683760564
The posture bar is the single greatest mechanic FROM has implemented.
>posture bar management
Goes beyond solely parrying, it will always determine your course of attack and keeping up the rhythm of battle.
You can’t call it a rhythm game like that’s a bad thing
>>
>>683759996
Souls combat is shit, but
Please note how this boss doesn't chain 5 attacks together and then pulls off a sippy punish at the end, Elden Fags
>>
>>683761642
What boss filtered you?
>>
>>683761826
I used summons for every boss in ER just to dab on YDBTG faggots here
>>
File: 1720564346873.jpg (35 KB, 1080x237)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
i know
>>
File: Great combat.webm (3.93 MB, 1280x720)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB WEBM
This is how that fight actually goes.
>>
>>683759996
If space and hitboxes were really so important why are their iframes?
>>
>>683759996
I'll give you the same reply I gave you when you posted this garbage post in the action game thread that's still up:
>Souls is your hitbox vs. theirs
Except for the part where iframes literally remove your hitbox entirely to circumvent the issue of hitbox and collision detection and positioning entirely, sure.
>>
Yeah but what’s actually going on in your head when you play it?
>ok, he’s doing that attack, press b, r1
>ok now that attack, wait, press b, r1
>oh that attack, wait, wait, press b, r1
This is what you get when enemy attacks are just picked randomly from a pool, you memorize a response to each one to execute on demand. You don’t strategize, you don’t learn deep mechanics that help you solve problems like emergent puzzles, you’re actively punished for thinking too hard because it might distract you from your rote reactions. Absolute shit gameplay, anyone who thinks otherwise has never played a good game.
>>
>>683760564
>and positioning no longer matters
Positioning in Sekiro has far more effect on what bosses do as opposed to Souls and ER where they only do one of a few things and almost never care where you are or what you're doing (unless you try to heal from neutral).
>>
>>683762903
i liked to do a sweet jump attack on him when i played ds1
>>
>>683759996
Why don't you just play Strangers of Paradise? It's the vastly superior action game.
>>
>>683762903
based zweihander chad showing those idiot japanese game designers their idiot place
>>
>>683762903
Why the fuck is the zweinhander available 5 minutes into the game?
>>
File: qksncbhwiirh.jpg (227 KB, 800x730)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>683763310
Me too, especially when I'm wielding the Black Knight's Halberd because it rocks!
>>
>>683760564
All the enemies are dealt the same way in souls too.
>>
>>683759996
This is obviously a ChatGPT generated post. Good bait OP.
>>
File: 1600225529426.png (136 KB, 376x676)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
>>683762349
>>
What you say is a strength is a double edged sword. Like anything that's loosely limited, an emergent dominant strategy sneaks up and imposes its own restrictions.
That's not to disparage Souls games, but they're far from the epitome of their genre. If anything, they're more popular because they accommodate and reward passive play, which is a lot easier than mastering those high APM techs essential in more niche character action games.
Souls games also lean heavily on irregular hitboxes and animations. Compared to a Sifu or Ninja Gaiden, which can safely demand aggressive play by recourse to their solid foundation, Souls games are uncomfortable with throwing more than a few enemies at the player. Their AI is loosely coordinated, to boot.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.