[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_0281.jpg (11 KB, 398x236)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
How do Japs write better black characters than the west who worships them?
>>
>>683766871
It's okay when Japan does it.
>>
You answered your own question
>>
>>683766913
This but unironically
>>
>>683766871
13% of the population but whites and asians still obsess over us. We really are the main characters lmfao
>>
>>683767012
post hand larping currycel
>>
>>683766913
Most of the time they did ok so, you are not wrong
>>
>>683766871
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=han3AfjH210
Demoman is a good example to make a good black character.
Valve doing magic again and again.
>>
Suda writes plot first before anything else. He is not a victim ideologue so when he makes a black character; his top priority is not painting some narrative to get justice for blacks. If you want cool blacks from the west, stick to 90's or back.
>>
File: fresh prince.jpg (102 KB, 1181x886)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>>683766871
I'm not even racist, I just think the West's obsession with making blacks the focus on everything is disturbing
I mean look at Fresh Prince, it's a show focused black family, and yet I still found it enjoyable and the characters likeable even though I'm not myself black, something nowadays devs and Hollywood are struggling a lot to achieve
I wonder what they did is different back then
>>
>>683766871
You watch some Martin Lawrence and Eddie Murphy movies and play GTA SA (japs also like it) and you will be able to write likeable blacks.
>>
>>683766871
They write characters who just so happen to be black as opposed to "black characters". If that makes sense.
>>
>>683767559
They were made by people who didn't hate you.
>>
>>683766871
Because they're not paired up with white women, and when they are (Xenoblade 3) they're the most buck-broken effeminate niggas so people don't get threatened by them.
>>
>>683769409
Except Barret is literally a Mr. T ripoff, yet everyone loves him.
>>
>>683770435
Well cloud was a Guts ripoff and Sephiroth was a Griffith rip-off, and they're adored. FF7 was really derivative.
>>
>>683766871
>write a human character
>color them black
>>
>>683770435
You say this like Mr. T isn't super black
>>
Because Japan has better writers and character designers than the West in general.
>>
>>683766871
Good black characters just happen to be black, they don't come from trying to create good black characters from the beginning.
>>
To this day I still have no fucking clue what the story was about beyond it being maybe some sort of war between the personifications of the West and East through Harman and Kun-Lan both having a giggle one playing with an actual schizo and the other with a magic virus and the entire thing not actually mattering to them going by the end.
>>
>>683766871
They are allowed to have flaws.
No one likes a preachy stick up their ass character
>>
>>683766871
Don't make me say it again... I'm a Cleaner.
>>
>>683767559
>I'm not even racist, I just think the West's obsession with making blacks the focus on everything is disturbing
by modern standards you are literally a kkk nazi who should lose his job for this take
>>
>>683773617
Garcian, aka Emil, is being manipulated by Harman (who is actually a god) in the Killer7 timeline. Emil has an actual 3rd eye which grants him the ability to literally absorb people's personalities and the only way possible is by murdering them. Since Harman will do anything he can to try and destroy Kun Lan, he uses Garcian to kill all of the people who would wind up becoming the Smiths. When you switch between characters, you are still technically playing as Garcian, but you are only seeing their personalities. All of it is for naught however, as the ending of the game implies that this battle between Harman and Kun-Lan will be never ending. It's not so much as them being the personifications of the West and the East, but more along the lines of a God of Creation and a God of Destruction constantly fighting each other for all of eternity.
>>
>>683773617
They only coincidentally mirror the east/west dichotomy which also plays a big part in the plot. They actually represent creation (Kun Lan) and destruction (Harman). And you're right, it doesn't matter in the long run. Humanity will continue to change, whether they become more connected than ever or revert back to the stone age.

Though ridiculous shit happens like Mask killing 50 billion smiles in New York 1000 years from now, so there's that.
>>
>>683770435
people like mr t
>>
File: file.png (142 KB, 750x650)
142 KB
142 KB PNG
>>683774065
am I the only one who played as Garcian as much as they could? Just because he just felt good to play. I know he has no real abilities like the others.
>>
>>683770435
I like Mr T, therefore Ilike Barret.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (69 KB, 1280x720)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
>>683775112
>flicking the stick and reloading on garcian
>>
instead of treating black people as some collective monolith of being anything other than just human beings
being black is not a character trait no more than being white in the grand scheme of things
it is fucking infantile
>>
>>683769951
Taion's just a nerd. A really cool nerd. The kinda archetype that I haven't seen in a real long while.
>>
Because they write a black character as they would a normal white person
>>
>>683773357
This. The framework of a quality character is under the hood. Make all of those dogshit black western characters white and you'll still have a game full of dogshit characters.
>>
>>683766871
They don't live with them
>>
>>683766871
there's black people and niggas. we used to have black people in media, but now it's all niggas.
>>
>>683767364
Suda didn't write a plot for killer7. It was Shinji Mikami.
>>
>>683767559
my theory is that they overdo representation to further radicalize those that already dislike us for our skin, to further divide the proletariat.
same with gay representation, it's just capitalist that commercialize the sexuality of others to make more bucks and get social goodboypoints. all these characters, gay, black, whatever already have been written before it began to seem like over-representation but honestly that part of the character was just that, a part of a whole character. sometimes it seems newer characters in games have nothing more than that quota characteristic. then there is the thing of fewer story driven games getting made so the character of the individual can't be properly explored to build it beyond these diversity characteristics
>>
>Write a good character
>Make him/her black
>Successfully completed
>>
>>683775882
hell yeah. Plus just running around with the briefcase that could never actually fit a human head in it.
>>
>>683767559
>I'm not even racist
/Pol/ isa thata way
>>
>>683766871
Because they aren't conditioned by the perceived constant threat of being marked as a racist white supremacist if they do anything that might be interpreted as wrong
It's like writing about religious themes or other sensitive topics.
>>
>>683766871
Japs make a character and then make them black.
Western devs make a black then the character.
The color is the most important
>>
>>683767559
They used to write black characters like how did for every other character, now they write black characters as niggas
>>
>>683767012
13% of the population in America
>>
>>683767012
>13% of the population
Correct but...

>responsible for over 50% of the crimes
which is why you chimps get so much attention.

I won't mention Ass Creed but I will laugh at you for losing your precious Affirmative Action KEK
>>
>>683766871
You answered your own question. The west worships black ppl, so they can NEVER make a convincing black dude anymore, at least not until they change their attitude. All the other countries, can make a better black character, because they can make them feel genuine, and because they'll make them have a purpose, rather than just be a decoration for good goy points.
>>
>>683766871
Japs are assuming that the Negro is a human with dark skin

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.