[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

I am too much of a brainlet to enjoy this
>>
>>683801009
game makes retards feel smart
>>
Bro just add more.
Just add fucking more.
You aren't stupid, you're lazy.
>>
>>683801106
I think it's a game for smart people
>>
>>683801191
It really isn't. It's a game for people who enjoy making a plan and seeing it through. The game is VERY simple math but there is a lot of it.
>>
>>683801009
you havent played it, or you're simply baiting to get your factorio thread going. the game is very simple and only gets hard if you want to make it complicated.
>>
>>683801191
That is what i thought, and some times i got challenged with the spaghetti but i always found solutions. You can def be 95IQ and win this game
>>
I got filtered by yellow science and my IQ is 132
>>
>>683801720
Make it big then work on making it small
>>
>>683801009
you don't need brains to just play factorio
you need brains to play factory efficiently
>>
>tfw too autistic to play this game
I hate it when I have everything in a neat grid then realize far down the line that copper wire or something early on isn't being produced in sufficient quantity. Now my factory layout is ruined.
>>
>>683801913
To be fair you are mentally retarded and make mountains out of molehills. The only advice I have for you is fuhgeddaboudit.
>>
>>683801913
don't build in grids or modules, build in a line and have your factories branching off perpendicular to that line
>>
>>683801751
This
>>
>>683802084
don't listen to this guy. main bus will get you to a rocket no problem but if you really want scalability use trains
>>
>>683802084
main bus is
>You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.
>>
>>683801720
This happened to me. The answer is to make more furnace stacks.
>>
>>683802289
>>683802364
There is nothing wrong with a main bus. But when you have a 10 lane bus it is time to branch.
>>
>>683801009
I don't think I'm a retard, but I was only barely able to launch a rocket. maybe I'm just too impatient. also, I did the following to make it easier:
>turned the resources up to max on my map
>turned the bugs to minimum (without disabling them)
>used some blueprints for the early parts of my factory.
>>
>>683801567
some people get too fixated on doing things balanced and efficient right off the bat and so they make the game harder than it should be, and others just don't have the patience to stick with it long enough to launch a rocket, but some are actually too stupid for it. It might not be a hard game but you still need to be at least one step above retarded to complete it
>>
>>683802873
Blueprints are great, especially if you make your own. Biters are definitely a pain in the ass but even on default settings you should be able to fend them off easily if you have a military 'budget.' There is definitely catharsis in driving a tank thru a shitload of biter nests just because fuck em.
>>
Connect the uhhh with uhhhh so you get the baaahhh and craft the booohhaaa
Now connect theee uhhhh with boohhhaaaa and repeat with 30 ingredients until your belts do a bretzel
>>
>>683802873
>used some blueprints for the early parts of my factory.
More likely that you cucked yourself out of knowledge and understanding.
>>
>>683803514
yes
>>
>>683801617
>>683801259
The smartness part comes when you have an autistic compulsion to minimize the size of a given section.
>>
>>683802873
>>used some blueprints
cringe, either make your own or watch a playthrough since you're so committed to have people play the game for you
>>
>>683803514
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfLCuHSZ-U
>>
>>683801191
that game can easily be beaten in a stupid way, i know cause i did it.
>>
>using a main bus
>uniform city blocks
>using other people's blueprints
If you do any of these things, you unironically didn't beat the game
>>
Explain to me the hate for the main bus, is it just pretense?
>>
>>683805764
also people mistake tedium with intelligence, game is very tedious at first before you make your own blueprint library for the most braindead yet mandatory tasks like smelters, oh and dont forget first 4h where you do not have robots yet, what a joy to put all those inserters in right direction
>>
>>683805927
1. sterile
2. soulless
3. wasteful on resources (d00d just assemble a metric fuckmile of conveyor belts just to move this one intermediate instead of planning things out or making them on-site)
4. gigafuck long belts basically become a buffer which in turn in hide production issues
5. most people who use them don't understand throughput or ratios and think they can slap a balancer and a 4 lanes of steel down and then get confused when things try up
6. boring
7. space inefficient
>>
>>683806136
Ah so it's skill issue, not the actual bus.
>>
>>683806136
>just to move this one intermediate
??
But main bus is just the most basic resources you pull from to the sections on the sides?
>>
>>683806368
The sushi belt is this guys main hate for the bus, I'm near confident.
>>
>>683805934
>people mistake tedium with intelligence
I think you're imagining things, nobody finds factorio hard because of its tedious parts, at most they'd say that it's boring then
>>
>>683801009
i'm playing the krastorio mod and it already melts my tiny brain.
>>
>>683801009
It's actually really fucking simple
You just break it into little bits. It's why after I have automated blue science I more or less gave up. It doesn't get fun. It doesn't get harder or more complex.
Utlimately it's just repeating the same shit
>>
>>683806564
once you figure stuff during first playthrough there isnt really much thinking involved, you are just recreating basic blocks which worked in the past and yes a lot of it is tedious as fuck.
>>
>>683801191
nah,its a spreadsheet simulator,nothing interesting in doing the exact same thing over and over
>>
I don't get what people see in this conveyor belt simulator
>>
>>683808518
yeah I'm not denying that, I just meant that it's not the reason why some people think that they aren't smart enough for the game (they usually don't even do multiple playthroughs in the first place)
Their problem is not realizing how little complexity you actually need to launch a rocket because just plopping down more drills/furnaces/assemblers feels wrong, like you are bruteforcing the solution instead of doing things the "right" way
>>683809147
optimizing something in terms of productivity or size, making an incomprehensible spaghetti base that somehow works or something perfectly orderly and clean, finding stupid/needlessly complex solutions to simple problems, becoming a one-man army and genociding hordes of aliens etc.
It's a hybrid between a sandbox and an open-ended puzzle game with satisfying payoffs
>>
>>683801191
Not at all. Factorio was made so that anyone can play it and have fun. You don't need to know math at all when you can glance at a belt and say "Hmm that looks a little low. I think I'll double the production so it fills up"
That's it
That's all you have to do.
Every time you're missing a material you just double the amount you're making until you beat the game.
>>
File: 1709428754890784.jpg (1.15 MB, 1920x1080)
1.15 MB
1.15 MB JPG
It took me 3 fucking days to design a circuit network to stop repair bots from roasting themselves in the fire that actually fucking worked.
Did you know that you cannot detect oil levels in a tank if you connect an input pump directly to the tank with no piece of pipe in between, because the pump holds 400 units of liquid that instantly flow into the tank with no time delay whenever something gets used, even if the pump is disabled?
>>
>>683810915
The I that worked for me was to have inserters empty the closest roboports and belt the bots back further away so that by the time they travelled to the damaged wall the fire would be out by then.
Obviously doesn't work if you had multiple waves attacking at once but it's still far better than having 50 bots die trying to repair .000002% damage.
>>
>>683801009
same
>>
if you like factorio, you should really just get into programming. It's a way more pure form of the same autism.

That or play zachtronics' catalog, all of which are great.
>>
Anybody play this on Steam Deck to any substantial degree? I've been giving it a fair shake, but it doesn't feel super great.
>>
>>683811385
I made a timer that resets itself every time oil levels drop. 30s after every attack there's a time window of a few seconds where bots get added to the roboports, outside of that window they'll be removed and stored in the chests.
I detect oil drops by running the oil count through a combinator, which delays the signal for a single tick, and then compare that to the signal directly from the tank. That way I don't have to fuck around with shit like memory cells, because I have absolutely no idea how to work with that.
>>
File: 1716223074374502.jpg (1.59 MB, 7502x1800)
1.59 MB
1.59 MB JPG
factorio would be a better game if you could actually use copy/paste from the start of the game instead of needing to wait for construction bots. There's nothing more annoying than wanting to reconstruct something than having to deconstruct everything individually... Construction bots should be WAY lower on the tech tree.. like T2 or something.. This is a fucking logistics game, not dark souls. Imagine an RTS where you had to be a certain distance to place a building, and you were placing 40 structures at a time... absurd.

I love the game but it is annoying as fucking doing that shit.
>>
File: 504210_20240724004319_1.png (898 KB, 1920x1080)
898 KB
898 KB PNG
behold my spaghetti
this is why you go to bed and continue the next day instead of beating your head on the wall until you figure it out.
>>
File: 504210_20240726185319_1.png (779 KB, 1920x1080)
779 KB
779 KB PNG
>>683812186
part two
pic related is the improved version i did after one (1) night of sleep
>>
>>683812186
>>683812509
this game is too smart for /v/ but it's a stellar game
>>
>>683811792
dead job, majority of coders are about to get replaced by AI
>>
File: 1703779794454338.jpg (914 KB, 1448x2048)
914 KB
914 KB JPG
>>683812707
I meant more for fun and enjoyment, not a career path. Not to say that it's not a good career, but it is a lot of fun just programming and designing things (in the same way that factorio is fun designing logistics networks, while you're not working in operations at some company)
>>
>>683812829
nta
while i was working at an software firm i started hating programming, now that i've been a NEET for a while my passion started to return
FUCK ODOO, trying to write addons for that piece of shit made me want to kms
>>
File: Factorio SUCKS.webm (3.99 MB, 960x1080)
3.99 MB
3.99 MB WEBM
>>683801009
Satisfactory is better than this awful game.
>>
>>683813147
>satisfactory train crossings
these are a gigantic pain in the ass to build, seeing your trains go in 3D is fun but placing rail neatly is really annoying imo
>>
>>683813147
Then go make a satisfactory thread instead of piggybacking on every factorio thread.
>>
>>683813147
elevated rails coming soon in Factorio
>>
>>683809001
Sounds like a (you) problem tied to you being a fag who needs to resort to spreadsheets and prefab factory layouts instead of doing the fun thing which is to just basically wing it when setting up your assembly lines and make changes along the way to optimize them.
>>
really enjoyed the game at first but starting to get a little burnt out before the end, feels like there is a balancing issue.

I restarted a few times after some things clicked. Problem is about when I get rails is also when I have enough resources to just drive around until I find a better location to build a base with higher tech elements. at that point the bugs are easy enough to wipe out. I have yet to build any rail systems because fueling/defending seems like such a nightmare.

am I just too stupid? Are rails really necessary and I'm just not realizing it?
>>
>>683801009
Reminder to play with companion drones turned on.
>>
>mindless busywork is now considered high IQ gaming
Where did it all go wrong?
>>
File: fff-378-ramp.png (1.61 MB, 1120x736)
1.61 MB
1.61 MB PNG
>>683813147
Soon
>>
>>683805927
It's just cookie cutter. Lame, but not as bad as b*ts.
>>
>>683813147
Satisfactory kind of sucks, mainly because of how much it railroads you down the path of automation. In Factorio you can automate just about anything with enough ingenuity. Want automated furnaces that you don't constantly have to manually fill with coal but don't have electric furnaces yet? Set up a conveyer system that feeds coal directly from your drills in your coal fields into those furnaces. Want a self sustaining power plant? You can automate that shit with a bit of creativity. In Satisfactory there's a lot less room for creativity in terms of that kind of shit because there's a lot of restrictions in terms of what can go into what and how.
>>
>>683806368
Yeah I literally only belt Iron and copper plates. That's it. Then I have a train run alongside the bus for the oil products. Though I much prefer train bases to having a main bus personally or making a mix of both.
>>
>>683812098
>There's nothing more annoying than wanting to reconstruct something than having to deconstruct everything individually...
Just use grenades.
>>
>>683814337
Yes, you are too stupid. Trains are extremely powerful and allow you to get tons of resources far away back to your main base with ease. And defense is easy later on, especially with upgrades and flamethrower turrets. Biters won't attack train tracks randomly so you don't have to worry about them getting destroyed. You just have to set up defenses for your resource outposts.
>>
>>683814434
what is a companion drone
>>
>>683814562
TrainGODS we are eating good!
>>
>>683815358
thanks. I think I assumed I needed to worry about all rails because if one tiny piece got eaten then the train cannot run. you're saying they will not attack bare rails?

so where is best to build a central base to receive resources? On oil?
>>
>>683801009
Actually, that makes you exactly the opposite of a brainlet.

Most games are a waste of time, but factorio is unique in how once you start learning certain basic automation and engineering concepts, especially the almost circuit-like nature of e.g. having a main bus...

...there will be pretty much nothing deeper to learn, and nothing deeper to experience. What you get early game is just a minor modulation of what you'll basically have at endgame, only with far more technical debt to constantly either overcome or just wipe clean and restart with brute force from the far more plentiful resources (once you can exploit them well, that is).

It's like minecraft in a sense, a game that if you don't set very firm and often social goals is never going to truly be any different, where you can keep pouring time into it and the outputs are never going to change, nowhere higher in your brain will be stimulated, no new skills will be learned, no art or new ideas will truly spark better than if you were doing something else.

Anyway go play on random multiplayer servers with a car or tank, it used to be really funny to drive around like a little murderhead freak in a mad max car shooting at biters having to deal with like second-long tier latency in your inputs, it was fucking insane and would feel like ur remotely driving a rover on the moon or something. Or throw rocket fuel in a car or train and prepare to go into hyperspeed.
>>
>>683816047
>you're saying they will not attack bare rails?
Correct.
>so where is best to build a central base to receive resources?
Because of all the options Factorio gives you such as trains, pipes, bots, etc. you really do not need to "move" your base from your starter location (unless it's a REALLY shitty spawn). What most players opt to do is build a starter base at spawn so you can craft items to then use for building your "real" main base later, but you shouldn't have to travel far to do that unless like I said your starting spawn sucks for expansion purposes.
>>
>>683805709
I hate this
>>
I got filtered by two-headed trains. like 5 years ago Hopefully I became smarter and won't get filtered this time.
>>
>>683801191
Smart people just main bus and get boring of going through the motion of constantly addressing bottlenecks.
>>
>>683813147
It would have been faster and more efficient to just run belts instead. Satisfactory trains are garbage.
>>
>>683817049
Don't feel like you need to build two-headed trains for everything. Just make loops.
>>
File: 1694694729921661.webm (3.7 MB, 1120x1120)
3.7 MB
3.7 MB WEBM
>>683814562
I can't wait to see what unholy abominations people can makes with these
>>
>>683818263
God my fucking cock is ready for the nonsense I'm going to create with this.
>>
>>683814562
This is more exciting than any of the space stuff in the DLC about going into space.
>>
File: 1714836910741686.webm (3.88 MB, 1146x930)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB WEBM
IMAGINE
>>
>>683801009
I am too much of a brainlet to use trains in this game. Someone explain to me why you would ever use trains for anything besides the aesthetics since dragging conveyor belts directly to the source is magnitudes more efficient?
>>
>>683819098
Trains have the fastest throughput in the game. Creating long sections of train tracks is way easier and faster than long sections of belts between far away resource patches. Trains are also cool.
>>
Does disabling bugs ruin the game? I just want to autism factory
>>
>>683819098
Trains work better for long distances. Mostly though it's for the modularity, once you get a basic rail network set up it's very easy to expand by placing mini factories along the lines and just setting up the right trains for inputs and outputs
>>
>>683819098
>sell me on trains in autism simulator
Uh.... I don't know how to do that.
>>
>>683801009
It's not hard it's just ADHD proof
The less patience you have for preparation and planning the more you will struggle later on.
>>
>>683813147
The game gives you literally 0 reasons to ever build something like this
>>
>>683818041
I did, but it's a cop out. I want to find closure.
>>
>>683801009
No, you're smart enough to realize the game fucking sucks.
This game ruined so many autistic men who could've been engineers and scientists.
>>
>>683821589
and doctors and lawyers.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.