[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is there a better example of oatmeal graphics than Half Life? I don't think so
>>
>>683811298
Please explain the term. I'm not familiar with it. From the context I assume it means a game with textures and models which objectively look bad but serve their purpose well and anchor a distinct and nonetheless appealing style.
>>
morrowind
>>
Is this a new twitter meme?
>>
>>683811953
good way to put it but not quite

"oatmeal" refers to graphics with quite simplistic and low polygon models yet very detailed and "cluttered" textures in an attempt to make up for it, that end up reduced to the lower quality of the game
the textures end up looking kinda like oatmeal as a result
>>
>>683812198
Why would it be from Twitter?
It's an old ass term that got lost when forums became die
>>
the use of this term on /v/ is the ultimate test of functional vs nonfunctional autism
normalfags see a term they don't recognize and go "reeeeee you're acting abnormal i'm feeling unsafe aaaaaaaa!"
full blown tards see a term they don't recognize and go "what? i don't get it i never heard of it therefor it doesn't exist."
only the two elevated aspergians can appreciate it for what it is, are juuust functional enough to glean what it means from context clues yet not conformative enough to be bum bothered by it
>>
>>683812210
In that case, Morrowind and Deus Ex are definitely higher on the list than Half Life, because Half Life's textures are all designed with their limitations in mind, such as the faces being stylized 2D art designed around the head geometry. Deus Ex just mapped stretched composite face textures onto the polygons, and Morrowind did the same with retouched photos, and the mouths almost never moved.

>>683812451
Considering my intuition was slightly wrong, it was good that I asked. Now we're all on the same page.
>>
>>683812772
>>683812210
In my opinion oatmeal is "you know it when you see it" there's no concrete definition and giving it one defeats the purpose, but you can sense it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.