[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/v/ - Video Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: capsule_616x353.jpg (46 KB, 616x353)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
Is Firewatch worth $4? I don't mind 'walking simulators' but the screen shots make it look like it's more for a... softer(?) crowd. I'm also looking at The Mafia Trilogy for $14.
>>
>>691191564
I watched a let's play of it (for some reason) and now I never have to play it. People say this about many games but this is that game.
>>
File: fireshitwatch.png (88 KB, 654x778)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>691191564
no
>>
File: fire shit.jpg (133 KB, 1920x1080)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>691192478
>>
>>691192478
>>691192560
‘Battle Hardened’ right wing warrior defeated by freedom of speech kek
>>
>>691191564
Walking sim with mid story
>>
it's decent as a navigation game if you turn the map markers off
it's not really "woke" but it's also not that good if you hate both of the characters, the story immediately ends as soon as it might get interesting
>>
>>691191564
Nah these fucking faggots ruined valve as a.studio.
Idk why buy gaben bought these retards and then fucked off to new Zealand during covid.
Everything you've seen that's been changed has been from this studio.
The people in it are insufferable, look at the DOTA 2 patch 7.33 notes and tell me you think these fuckheads are okay to support in any amount.
Valve is being destroyed by this studio and the game is extremely overrated.
>>
File: epicprank.jpg (656 KB, 2048x1536)
656 KB
656 KB JPG
>>691191564
>Is Firewatch worth $4?
It's very, very pretty. The art style is absolutely gorgeous.
It sounds pretty good. The writing is awful but the voiceactors do exceptionally good job regardless.
It has a pretty neat and intricate dialogue system with an impressive amount of options and variations. The writing is still terrible and the options don't do anything, they don't actually affect the game in any way, but it's impressive from a technical standpoint.

It's also incredibly, INCREDIBLY fucking stupid, and FUNDAMENTALLY lazy. The story is attrocious, it's actually one of the worst ones I've seen in a serious game. It gets to a point where it does work as a pretty good if unintentional comedy, it's that bad. It genuinely makes Gone Home feel like shakespear in comparison.
The writing is so jarring and completely unfitting (and schizophrenic) it almost makes it feel surreal at times, especially since these awful lines are being read with such sincerity and effort from the great voiceactors.

And finally there is literally not a single original or ambitious, or creative idea in the whole fucking thing. It is the most lazy, most dull, most braindead take on the walking sim you could come up with, there is absolutely nothing to it beyond it being about walking along the path and listenting to people talking. Not even the most token attempt to do something new, to even slightly acknowledge that this is a game of some sort.

All and all it is fascinating but mostly for all the wrong reasons. Unless you take a morbid curiosity in how to not make games or not tell stories, I can safely say it's not worth 4 dollars. The great art direction is the only part of it that can be enjoyed unironically, even the great voice preformances are ruined by the absolutely innane drivel they have to act out.

It's honestly the worst walking sim I've played so far by a large margin.
>>
>>691191564
I really liked it
>>
Very comfy hiking sim
Fantastic music
Nice visuals
That said I felt like playing it again after 7 years and quickly remembered it will be a slog without the "mystery"
>>
>>691197179
Nothing can be worse than Gone Home.
>>
>>691200809
>Nothing can be worse than Gone Home.
Well, this game challenges your assumption.

And the very first trump card it pulls out is the fact that it IS Gone Home. It is literally the exact same thing, entirely and completely copying the same formula which by the way, Gone home itself stole from Dear Esther.

But then Firewatch makes it even worse by also somehow managing to spoil the whole thing LITERALLY BEFORE THE GAME EVEN STARTS.
That is not a joke. Firewatch is the first "serious" story in a game I've seen to completely shit itself, no joke, before the game beings.

I am not implying that gone home is good. But I think a serious case that Firewatch is worse can be made.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.