[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vg/ - Video Game Generals

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: agdg_logo+slogan.jpg (49 KB, 750x920)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
are you ready for Demo Day? edition

>Demo Days
24 HOURS REMAIN: https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-58
Previous: https://itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-57
Older: https://hackmd.io/LhEB6VCZSx-oBalI2cWWoA

>AGDG resources
https://hackmd.io/dLaaFCjDSveKVeEzqomBJw

>Helpful links
New Threads: >>>/vg/agdg
Archive: https://arch.b4k.co/vg/search/subject/agdg/
Steam Games by AGDG: https://agdg-steam.netlify.app/
/agdg/ Steam Games: https://made-by-agdg.vercel.app/

>How to WebM
https://obsproject.com
https://github.com/argorar/WebMConverter
https://github.com/michaelmob/WebMCam

Previous: >>493159879
>>
won't be posting to DD if PATdev is submitting again, don't want my game next to a tranny's game
>>
It's actually just like make a good game now.
>>
File: Hopoo.webm (1.02 MB, 641x720)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB WEBM
Traitor.
>>
>>493226119
who?
>>
File: 1638377046247.jpg (7 KB, 250x229)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>493226023
Didn't know patdev was trans but I can't say it doesn't make sense
>>
Today I'm gonna start making games. I'm gonna show you all how it's done. I mean how hard can it be?
>>
File: file.png (1.01 MB, 966x531)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>493214812
>>
>>493209186
Well that's the question. Is not being good enough caused by mistakes? Is being unremarkable caused by mistakes? If someone makes a song that doesn't become a hit, did they make composing/writing mistakes?
>>
>>493226947
>Is not being good enough caused by mistakes?
Yes.
>Is being unremarkable caused by mistakes?
Yes.
> If someone makes a song that doesn't become a hit, did they make composing/writing mistakes?
Yes.
>>
>>493226762
How hard? Have you tried punching through a brick wall?
>>
>>493227231
I haven't. Surely it can't be as hard as that? You just boot up your Go Dot and then drag around a few sliders and you're done. That doesn't sound too hard.
Ok maybe you'll have to do some programming too, but Go doesn't look that hard.
>>
>>493226947
yes yes yes, of course
>>
>>493227890
I'm making all the art, It's not so much hard as it's going to take a long time to get through the wall even with a hammer
>>
Soon I will be on a modestly lengthy roundtrip car drive with my dad. Will he bring up the gf question again? Or will he ask me how my game is coming along? Neither question is one I want to face. I refuse to settle for just any girl and as for the game it's current trajectory, should nothing change, is looking like a flop. Idk if I should've ever told him about my gamedev endeavour.
>>
>>493229108
I wish my dad would ask me how my game is going.
>>
>>493226947
Worse fat is being remarkably slightly, barely above average. That's the worst place to be.
>>
i'm just taking a short pause, i swear.....
>>
>>493151224
Aurasisters, not like this...
>>
>>493229108
Just say that and tell him quality takes time.
>>
I wish my dick still worked, being sedentary and making games and jerking my dick til I ejaculate blood (making an h-game) has ruined me
>>
how would you spend 350million on your game? asking for a friend
>>
>>493229509
>no actual criticism
Players are dumb, what else is new?
>>
>>493229671

hire a few of my favourite artists and have get them in a room to design the world.
>>
>>493229671
music, fx/regular artist, ui person. Then I would enjoy all the good parts. For the other 349.7million dollars I would just buy nvda stock
>>
>>493229671
Personally hire Juan himself to teach me to master the potential of Godot he's hiding.
>>
>>493229671
>hire voice actors
>go to college for 3d modelling because all the tutorials are too confusing and I'd rather not ask a million questions daily on how to do everything
>hire at least 5 actually skilled programmers
>sit back and relax just making the art and writing the storyline (very expensive, possibly the most expensive out of all of these)
>if one of the games succeeds in the slightest, register as a game studio
>apply for bankruptcy in less than 5 years
>use the spare cash to fly to and apply for citizenship in some barely 1st world foreign country after faking my death
>>
>>493226023
>>493226329
is this real? I WILL become his biggest hater if so. lmk
>>
Imagine if Sony gave each aggydagger yesdev 2 million dollars instead of giving concorddevs 200 million dollars
>>
>>493230765
no
>>
>>493230875
But then it would have come out of their own pocket instead of blackrock's
>>
>>493230875
My plans wouldn't change, except I would hire more voice actors and more skilled programmers before faking my death and gaining permanent citizenship in a barely 1st world country
>>
>>493229108
avoid hyping up your projects, especially to those close to you. If you’re not earning significant money from it, they will see you as a hobbyist with a pipe dream and someone who's wandering aimlessly in life.. not a good look to have. It’s better to keep quiet about projects that aren’t financially rewarding and if they bring it up just keep it brief and say you do it for fun.
>>
File: GWY4T1WWoAE9aDq.png (274 KB, 472x524)
274 KB
274 KB PNG
I feel like if i haven't successfully finished at least 3 game jam project, i won't be able to make the games that i want and like. I know that i can futher work on that game jam project after the event is done and turn it into a commercial game.

How do i work on my gamejam projects after my day job and 2 hours of commute though
>>
I stopped posting my game here because it feels out of place here. You all keep making these baby platofrmer games with bright colours or anime hentai sex fucking games, while my game is set in a realistic world, with normal people where you use guns to shoot other evil people. It just doesn't belong here.
>>
>>493231239
>I know that i can futher work on that game jam project after the event is done and turn it into a commercial game.
That's not true and you know it. You're lying to yourself.
>>
File: Movie_107.webm (2.99 MB, 1920x1080)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB WEBM
>> Progress
Algorithm now works properly. Still testing whether I need to make some tweaks, but player can now reach every node and they update properly.

Also, need some help. Anybody know how to write generic list functions in C#? I want to make my fisher-yates shuffle algorithm take a generic element as an input.

//Fisher-Yates Shuffle - shuffles a list
public static List<Transform> ShuffleList(List<Transform> unshuffledList)
{
System.Random r = new System.Random();
// For each unshuffled item in the collection
for (int n = unshuffledList.Count - 1; n > 0; --n)
{
// Pick item that hasn't been shuffled
int k = r.Next(n + 1);
// Swap selected item with the last 'unstruck' item in collection
Transform temp = unshuffledList[n];
unshuffledList[n] = unshuffledList[k];
unshuffledList[k] = temp;
}

return unshuffledList;
}

something like 'public static List<T> ShuffleList(List<T> unshuffledList)', but this is returning an error.
>>
>>493231309
what is an "evil" person?
>>
>>493230875
I'd make sony a new IP that rivals gears of war. a billion dollar IP. for only 2 million. sony, hire this man! *both thumbs pointing at me*
>>
>>493231239
Save up enough to move to thailand or colombia or any cheap country for a year or 6 months. Then work your game full time there.
>>
>>493231239
get an easier job, like remote codemonkeying
>>
>>493231462
Political extremists, gangsters and NATO soldiers.
>>
>>493231239
wot. game jams didn't exist for the first decade of my dev life.
>>
File: GV236jxWYAA2XOc.jpg (161 KB, 700x988)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
There is this quote in Bruce Almighty where Morgan Freeman said "A mom who is working two jobs and still able to make time for his son's soccer practice is a miracle." How do I apply this in my life? I have hobby projects I want to do even after a long tiring day at my job, all while making time for working out, socializing, and playing an hour or two of video games?
>>
>>493231421
Those icons and doctrine thing look amazing anon. Is that part of some asset pack?
>>
>>493231598
Well he's wrong because it's no miracle. A person with two jobs still has time to do stuff and it doesn't mention any details about the jobs. Really your problem seems to be that you just don't care enough and that's ok. Throwing in the towel is fine.
>>
cum on faggies, pull through, give it the final push! you CAN do it!
>>
File: GWbBhZiWcAAV-RK.jpg (86 KB, 958x1024)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>493231494
I'm already a codemonkey doing webslopping. But i have to be in office everyday
And no, being a QA actually has more hours and insane workload
>>
>>493231421
public static List<T> ShuffleList<T>(List<T> unshuffledList)
{
{
int k = r.Next(n + 1);
T temp = unshuffledList[n];
}

return unshuffledList;
}
>>
>>493231604
Yeah, various asset packs. I mix and match until I get the look I want. The aesthetic is just how I want it, but I'll replace it with custom art someday.

Pic related: original mockup

Solved the generic function as well. Should look like this.

// Fisher-Yates Shuffle - shuffles a list
{
{
int k = r.Next(n + 1);
T temp = unshuffledList[n];
}

return unshuffledList;
}
>>
>>493231421
?
>>
https://files.catbox.moe/rizlzr.webm
>>
>>493231878
*nvm you got it<T>
>>
>>493231984
I daren't click
>>
>>493231528
>political extremists
are they not all people trying to do good in ways we don't approve
>gangsters
poor people with criminal records and drug addictions trying to make money while trying to make their community proud
>NATO soldiers
same as first one, are they not all people trying to do good in ways we don't approve?

yes, perspective. there's not much difference between gangsters, mafia members, mobsters, yakuza, and... someone in poverty born in the wrong neighborhood, maybe with the wrong skin color for the social climate and racial laws, but without a doubt, not a penny to their name in a neighborhood the police are more than willing to harass due to the neighborhoods crime statistics.

I'm just saying, why do a generic shooter when you can easily make it more interesting and unique with a classic "maybe I AM the bad guy... I'm just killing me in another life, in another country, with another set of beliefs", and then have him develop ptsd and kill himself or some shit instead of classic plot armor "hero always wins"
>>
>>493232125
Good take for once in this place.
>>
>>493230875
I could do better than concord at least
>>
>>493232125
There's ways to avoid violence in my game and certain characters approve of different actions (well this is the plan, something I want to do later, right now it's not as pronounced). You as the player decide what to do.
>>
>>493232274
>you may have the money but you must make a live service game
>>
>>493230875
Blackrock wouldnt pay for that.
>>
ok so there's like videos for making game and designing a game
but like how the hell do i actually fill the game with stuff to do?!?
>>
>>493232354
so, basically every single "multiple choice" shooter rpg "but this time it's different because MINE has BETTER storytelling"

you could tell a story of war (like 50000 other games), or you could tell a story of inner turmoil and discovery, betrayal, finding out there's no point to war, that there is no bad guys, that nobody is evil, question what evil is, question why you're there to protect some oil plants from the country they're in, how "your side" has destroyed the local economy by burning fields of poppy, kicking off your own countries pain med shortage, and boy, are you in a lot of pain.
>>
>>493230948
>>493232587
heck i'd write debra wilson into my game if larry pays up
>>
File: IMG_9506.jpg (105 KB, 1707x960)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>493232354
>there are ways to avoid violence in my game
I want this in my game but i cant figure out how to stop the cats being violent
>>
>>493232698
I would gladly make Debra Wilson a kino sidekick if I had the funds for an open world 3D game.
>>
>>493232673
Not anon, but you have a point. It just doesn't fit the agenda. It's easier to point fingers than it is to contemplate morality even though the world and society as a whole is closely tied to religion.
>>
>>493232698
Maybe send them an email with some models/pixel art of some xer they/them.
>>
>>493232673
I'm not writing a book bro. I'm making a stupid game that's supposed to be fun. Games aren't art. Any attempts to be serious like you just said will only result in confusion and rage from gamers.

Some examples being Spec Ops the line which was too on the nose, and CoD World at War where it was so subtle barely anyone even realized the fame har a message.
>>
>>493232673
kojima already did that and everyone kneels to his game
>>
>>493233034
In the most retarded, brute forcing way possible. Because otherwise (You) wouldn't even figure it out.
>>
>>493230875
there's not enough yesdevs, we could reasonably have it be something like 50mil per actual yesdev
>>
>>493232673
>finding out there's no point to war, that there is no bad guys, that nobody is evil, question what evil is
This would have been a smart and sophisticated opinion to have in the 80's or maybe 90's, but in the year of the lord 2024, the vast majority of media is already like that.
>>
>>493233008
>I'm not writing a boo-
where's your script and storyline? You just pull it out of your ass as you go?
>I'm making a stupid game that's supposed to be fun
and that's why it wont sell
>Games aren't art
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
>Any attempts to be serious like you just said will only result in confusion and rage from gamers.
bitch what the fuck, have you played ANY video games in the last 20 years? metal gear? pokemon? MARIO? devil may cry? diablo? baldurs gate? world of warcraft? skyrim?
sure, sure, yeah, some people skip the entire story just to play the game, but theres entire YOUTUBE CHANNELS dedicated to deep diving the (sometimes unnaturally, for mario) serious storylines in these games, and they both have enough subscribers and enough views to make a living JUST deep diving into the lore.

>>493233034
I know
>>
>>493232673
>>493233034
Also Deus Ex (I & II)
>>
>>493233556
Relax.
>>
>>493233670
epic moment when you find out even the competing coffee chains are actually owned by the same company
>>
>>493231309
>>493232354
Just post it retard, what's the point of posting here otherwise?
>>493232673
People like stories because they're entertaining, not because the message of the story is profound or unique. War stories are particularly entertaining.
>>
てすと
>>
>>493233964
>what's the point of posting here otherwise?
To laugh at retards like you and >>493233556

You all are uniquely entertaining in your own way.
>>
>>493233327
No, morally grey media misses the point. It only reaches the first layer, but doesn't get in deeper to where it matters. There is no point to war at all. It's a futile concept of the past that people still try to justify in the year 2024 because imagining that instead of progress through war games that it is possible to settle disagreements is beyond belief. Good and evil are too concepts of the past. Many elements from the old world permeate the new world and it's a poison. A world with no war would mean conflict is possible diplomatically without useless actions. This would be perfect to set a video game on because the wins and losses are real and knowing that things won't divulge into war makes stakes real. With war, there are no stakes, you kill everyone and you declare yourself winner. It's a losing game from the beginning with the only conclusion being genocide of the entire species. Without adhering to good and evil, we can have more complex characters and actions since people won't be turned off by "icky things" that hold video games back. The entire power of creativity in our hands and it's like we're constantly living with one arm behind our backs.
>>
>>493225841
Sup guys I need a GODOT meme asap.
I know one of you has it

It's depicting a scene from some battle manga (naruto I think?) redrawn by Shen Comix, the hero is depicted dropping weights titled ANIME and GODOT to avoid becoming a nodev
>>
>>493234125
This.
When someone stabs you anwsering with stabbing him back will just lead to both of you dying you must try to solve the situation by kindly asking him to please stop doing that and if he just says "no" and keeps stabbing anyways you must let him kill you without fighting back so more people survive that way.
>>
>>493233556
anon is right thoughbeit not in the way he thinks he is
it's not story
it's premise
a hook
>metal gear
so there be like weird machines and shit?
>pokemon
animals but not animals?
>mario
mushroom kingdom but like pipes get it?
>dmc
>diablo
>baldurs gate
>wow
>skyrim
all the same shit of kill cool shit to get cool looking shit
you wouldn't play a game where you use a banana to open doors because it makes no sense
>>
>>493233964
>People like stories because they're entertaining, not because the message of the story is profound or unique
... I forgot how entertaining the bible, torah, and quran are.. oh and let's not forget how purely entertaining and definitely not profound or unique edgar alan poe, drive, fight club, blade runner, dune, star trek, naruto, dragon ball, the boys, joker (2019), her, etc. etc. etc. etc. all are, shit, even twilight, harry potter, and whatever else womanslops been put out, definitely weren't peoples favorites for both their entertainment and their deeper, profound, messages

oh, but those aren't video games, so....
yeah, people AREN'T playing baldur's gate, undertale, dark souls/soulslikes, yume nikki, visual novels, text adventures, or anything similar for the story on top of the entertainment (or sex scenes), they just like wanna shoot n stuff. all that story stuff is just background noise lol. Katawa Shoujo? one of the most popular VNs? just popular because disabled girls hot.
>>
File: 1725150350293974.jpg (275 KB, 920x920)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
>>493231984
>>
>>493234869
>Katawa Shoujo? one of the most popular VNs? just popular because disabled girls hot.
It is. What, you seriously believe anyone actually discusses the narrative of that VN? No, they goon to the fanart of disabled girls hot because 95% of humans have the mental capacity od a dog.
>>
>>493234869
Damn anon got fucking destroyed
>>
>>493231984
>rizzler.webm
>>
>>493235023
you zoomers disgust me. if you didn't shed tears and held your katawa shoujo in your arms as you both overcome the world together, you don't know anything.
>>
File: output.webm (1.97 MB, 718x450)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB WEBM
Adding a Buckler to the game that replaces the dodge with a parry
>>
>>493232707
RA RA FIGHT DA POWA
>>
>>493234773
>you wouldn't play a game where you use bananas to open doors
I'm telling you right now, ANY idea just needs good execution

>you're a banana with amnesia lost in downtown new york
>your goal is to find your way back home to the banana orchard
>but where is it?
>go out and find the other bananas to help make your way to the orchard
>adventure exploration puzzle game, Raytracing and VR!
people are already eating up all of the "you're a cat/robot/man on a mission in the future/past/a city wandering around being a cat who has to go up here/down here/to your owner!"
>>
>>493235224
Show the parry in action when there's hundreds of bullets on the screen.
>>
>>493235137
>zoomers
Lmao.
Only literature has moved me. Videogames, and especially VNs, have never. I get that you want to validate your "hobby" as a serious grown up medium, but it will never work out, no matter how much you try.

Jonathan Blow put it quite nicely in one of his clips why. I'll link it if I find. I'll only add the fact that games that try to be profound always end up either being a very small niche success or doomed to obscurity.

But keep living in your fantasy world where everyone thinks your fanfiction is something profound.
>>
>>493235356
>quotes Jon Blow when he's the exact person that wants video games to be taken seriously
>>
>>493235356
>literature
The YA industry would make you think otherwise
Nobody reads books anymore except for college white women who go to Starbucks and fantasize about a Communist revolution
All the "classics" are indeed "classics" because they're from long ago
>>
>>493235580
People probably read books more nowadays than ever. Just because they're not holding a physical book doesn't mean they're not reading. E-books are great and much more convenient. It's likely people read more in general with all the information there is now.
>>
>>493235580
Women fantasize about being dominated by strong Aryan men.
>>
>>493235356
what kind of retard would try to say vns are magically not literature? other types of literature are not magically better
>>
>>493235423
He's a smart guy but he's doing a fool's errand. He doesn't want to understand the fact that the videogame audience will never accept actually serious games. And I mean actually serious stuff, not "shallow seriousness" like Metal Gear Solid, Undertale, or whatever shitty VNs you beat your meat to.
>>
>>493235356
>but *I* don't like it, and *I* am the default, perfectly average person! *MY* opinion is the global opinion

things you have to lose from adding any semblance of an interesting and deep story, which, is more than likely skippable by pressing space/A/X/whatever the easiest button to press on your keyboard/controller is
>time
>a very very small percentage of people who don't want to press that button but hate your story anyway
things you have to lose from having a generic ass story about how fun war is
>every single person who already hates any generic lifeless war game, a substantially larger percentage of people who can't figure out how to skip your cutscenes
>a decent amount of money that would be there if they didn't refund the game
>a decent amount of would-be positive reviews
>>
my game is finally beginning to look like a game and it's so magical ;_;
>>
File: 6523626.gif (417 KB, 328x207)
417 KB
417 KB GIF
WHERE THE FUCK IS THE /V/ THREAD I GOTTA SHILL MY SHIT
>>
>>493235862
It's funny to see how you project your insecurities on me and my own project. I never even said it's a war story but you seem to actually think it is for some reason. Maybe you should review your own game if you're so deathly afraid of "generic" stories.

Also, I'll provide two examples: Ultrakill and Gloomwood. I barely see people talk about the story, and most of the story in those games are generic religious stuff/medieval stuff as a means to facilitate gameplay scenarios. Those are well received games. Clearly it is because of their stories, right?
>>
>muh real literature
>no one reads anymore besides me the world has fallen
>zoomers/women bitching
>>
>people don't take video games seriously
Do you really believe it? Have you seen the world in the past ten years? People will quote movie lines, follow trends from tv shows and start working out because their favorite Japanese cartoons told them to. It's media in general, video games being a part of it. All the remasters and remakes? We're the Renaissance period where the people of today obsess and appreciate the old just like it happened in Italy.
>>
>>493236242
but you are a woman
>>
File: 1721511440298834.png (346 KB, 2065x1026)
346 KB
346 KB PNG
anyone can recommend some good names for a WWII game similar to X-Com (pacific setting, might expand to italy later on thoughbeit)

also asked Chat GPT and got the following recommendations:
> Pacific Front: Tactical Command
> Tides of Valor: Pacific Command
> Steel Horizon: Pacific Tactics
utterly soulless but better than nothing
>>
>>493236601
The Kievstar Principle
>>
>>493236242
All right /agdg/, if you're such intellectuals, post the last book you finished.
>A History of England by John Lingard
>>
>>493236737
The Great Reset by Klaus Schwab
>>
>>493236601
Bunker Escape: Adolf's Last Reward
>>
>>493236206
>Ultrakill
https://youtu.be/Ift86GjLzeY?si=3N41ivV5oSCcPlwS
>no.... that's not a story, thats... thats... uhh... thats... oh. it is a profound story with a message.

>gloomwood
still in early access for the last 2 years, and interest is already dwindling. I doubt the dev is here, so we can't even ask him if he planned (more of a) story or not, still, theres a deep and gritty story there in the beginning of the game.
>>
File: 1712951311269888.png (368 KB, 1258x904)
368 KB
368 KB PNG
>>493236737
Does manga count?
Eden by lem
Retrofuturism is so sweet and nostalgic its unreal
>>
>>493236953
>a 20 minute video of a youtube imbecile gorging out his headcannon fantasies
Couldn't you have found something actually from the game?

>and interest is already dwindling.
Because there's no new gameplay content you fucking snoy tranny.
>>
>>493226235
nortubel
>>
>>493237139
not that anon but how can you tell it's a headcanon fantasy if you haven't watched the video? seems like motivated reasoning to me
>>
>>493226119
look at that body language. An agdg dev if I ever saw one.
>>
>>493236737
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
>>
>>493237357
I have before. Most of it is ridiculous extrapolation based on bits of info from the game. That's not the actual narrative but a retelling. And, it's a youtuber. Those aren't known for making particularly good content.
>>
>>493236737
Faust Part 1. The writing is so phenomenal I almost feel like learning german just to experience the real thing.
I still think the VN Sharin no Kuni is one of the best written works released in the past 20 years. I have yet to find a single piece of literature after Brave New World who did dystopian society as interesting as it.
>>
>>493237139
look man, just give up on making a game. at this point I'd be amazed if you actually managed to write code for more than 2 days before giving up with how absolutely retarded you are.

>play game
>visually see story happening (burning buildings, people dying, people living, plants growing, architectural styles, colors of peoples skin, the biome, the environment, quality of furniture, food available, etc.)
>auditorially hear the story happening (accents, music genres, ambiance, noises, they verbally tell you what is happening)
>contextually figure out the story (things weren't on fire and now they are, I did things that put out the fire, the fire had to start for a reason)
and finally
>get confirmation on what the story is (written word, people tell you, you have a cutscene, etc.)

this is genuinely, genuinely, one of the most important things to making any game, as long as you aren't making pong or tetris or pacman. making it have some level of profoundness or relateability, some deeper message, even if that message is "hippy dippy peace and love" or "we're all monsters in eachothers eyes" or "drugs aren't cool" or "the american dream is dead, lets all have an orgy" or "good people do bad things, I learned to love murder", is equally as important
>>
>>493236737
Read Real Japanese: short stories by contemporary writers [free CD incl]
>>
>>493238040
It's funny how you moved the goalpost from "having a particularly deep, profound message" to "have any message at all". Every story has a message by the virtue of being written. I understand that and can't work around it even if I tried.

But unlike you, I have no delusions of grandeur and I don't think I'm the second Tolstoy. I have realistic expectations and work on what matters for my game, whilst you will spend years working on some shitty VN, all cocooned in your delusions and when it comes out and nobody will give a shit, you'll kys or throw a tantrum like the YIIK dev.

You need to realise what you're making. Low brow entertainment for manchildren. You're not the next writer who will move generations with his books, AND THAT'S FINE. You don't need to be.

So relax.
>>
>>493230875
Whodevs too? I could contract an artist and coder to turn this sinking ship around.
>>
>>49323833
>you used VNs as aan example so you must be making a VN!!!
nigga I'm tired, it's almost 5am, and my sleeping pills are hitting. I hoppe you make thew right choice and don't make your multichoice shooter rpg painfully generic. Hope you curate some screenshots and don't give up in less than 7 business days. goodnight newfag
>>
>>493238851
>try typing laying down sideways
>fuck the entire post up
oh well, sleepy time.
>>
>>493238040
>this is genuinely, genuinely, one of the most important things to making any game, as long as you aren't making pong or tetris or pacman. making it have some level of profoundness, some deeper message,
Yomi Hustle
Pseudoregalia
Path of Achra
Balatro
Buckshot Roulette
>>
It's no wonder /agdg/ games never work out. You morons don't know a single thing. Not about gamedev, not about the market, not about anything.
>>
File: 1718682808258792.jpg (58 KB, 600x570)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>493236601
so?
any REAL suggestions
>>
>>493239295
I'm not really following the discussion, but I just wanted to say I'm entertained by how amazingly butt-blasted you are by the idea of people using software to tell a narrative.
>>
>>493236737
Malazan 8
I started reading this series 2+ years ago. 2 books left.
>>
>>493236737
Beton by Thomas Bernhard
>>
>>493239960
Make a thread on /v/ for that.
>>
>>493236601
it should have Storm in it
>>
which DD games will you play tomorrow?
>>
File: item.jpg (33 KB, 986x597)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
got first item showing up in ferulorum, didn't gat anywhere near where i wanted to be for DD might sit this one out
>>
Marmo bought a cosplay with all the cash generated.
>>
>>493235723
MARNIX I HAVE SPOTTED YOU
>>
>>493236601
Protocol: Paperclip
>>
>>493240402
nobody will play mine... because i dont hve a demo
>>
>>493240519
Good to see you making progress, don't need to be in DD.
>>
>>493240735
>DD tomorrow
>better namefag as innercircle and spam all week instead of working on my game
>>
File: 1713012785533173.png (1.6 MB, 1093x1077)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB PNG
what program is best for 2D animation my frens
>>
>>493240827
You are assuming I'm gonna post on DD
>>
>>493240929
Nodev.
>>
>>493241038
Im posting on basket weaver central of course I'm no dev
>>
>>493240891
Pencil and paper and a scanner.
>>
I'm going to start working on my game now.
>>
>>493240827
I don't need DD. My game's releasing on Steam in two more weeks.
>>
>>493232125
If Ira fine to do crime and murder people like those people do because their life sucks why isn't fine to murder them because they make life suck?
>>
File: 1700916061824956.gif (123 KB, 720x720)
123 KB
123 KB GIF
>>493241286
why must you lie to me
>>
I can't fucking do this anymore. I'm on the cusp of just calling in and quitting my job. I don't want to go to work every day for the rest of my life. I just want to go back to sleep.
>>
>>493241671
If I had a friend or my parents let me move back in, I'd totally quit my job. I recommend anyone here quit their job and dev full time if they can. Fuck having your own apartment and working just to pay rent and insurance. Go home and dev 12 hours a day for 3 years. At least at the end you'll be pretty fucking good and can get a job if you fail to monetize your work.
>>
File: Window.png (447 KB, 998x806)
447 KB
447 KB PNG
Where's appeal poster now? Just having cute girls in your game is not enough to sell.
>>
File: 20905906.png (25 KB, 104x85)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>493241671
I'm also about to quit my job. 1 more week and I'm free.
>>
Guys! I figured it out.
I was worried about being a wagie after college. Gamedev makes too little money to live off it. But what if I go to a thirdie azn country after I graduate? I'll be able to work on Gamedev full-time, live like a king for $12k a year, and have qts whenever I want.
>>
>>493242130
If a game is sold on story and low resolution concepts like horror, then the preview better be pretty fucking good. Otherwise I'm assuming you're just dumping fucking trash on me.
>>
File: tech tree.png (102 KB, 842x867)
102 KB
102 KB PNG
i want to rework the current tech tree implementation since it's pretty cluttered and overwhelming for the type of game this is, and because i feel like it lacks any unpredictability (you will probably just want to tech the same stuff in the same way). also i think i want to weave more specialization by "drafting" into the game

basically what i was thinking of is:
>rather than clicking a tech and then collecting research towards it, you gain the required amount for a tech and then you buy them off the tech tray
>instead of having a tiered tech selection like pic related, your options in the tech tray instead include 2 faction-specific techs (that your opponent cant pick) and 3 shared ones that are randomly placed on the tray (that there will be dozens of to choose from)
>whenever you buy any tech, it is removed from the tray and replaced with another tech

though i'm not sure exactly how to solve the following

>when you don't want to pick the early faction-specific techs but you want the later ones, how would you handle that? are you forced to pick the earlier techs or could you just press a button to move yourself up a tier or reroll existing techs? it shouldn't be too complicated
>not sure it's a good idea to let players amass research and then buy half a dozen techs at once, or if it's better to force them to buy exactly 1 at certain intervals

but anyway i think i'm pretty much done with the basics of multiplayer, like it actually feels pretty decent to play now. currently thinking of whether to double down on it or add some sort of simple singleplayer/coop stuff to help people get into it (it's VERY hard right now because jumping straight into pvp multiplayer is tough)
>>
>>493242114
>Go home and dev 12 hours a day for 3 years. At least at the end you'll be pretty fucking good and can get a job if you fail to monetize your work.

no you can't kek indie gamedevs are generalists who aren't amazing at anything compared to AAA 3d modelers or AAA game programmers etc.
>>
>>493242253
is this the multiplayer x-com-like with paradoxes? i was disappointed when i found out it was multiplayer only. i wanted to play against AI
>>
>>493242157
I'd say I'd rather not live in a country where I'm one coup away from having my livelihood destroyed but non-African third world countries seem to be relatively stable nowadays.
>>
>>493237726
do you read literary criticism? how often are readings what the author intended, versus what the critic read into it?
>>
>>493242253
what is the game about?
>>
File: rg.jpg (605 KB, 1600x900)
605 KB
605 KB JPG
>>493242114
Fumbled so hard, bros. I graduated hs at 16, then became a neet for 6 years. Went to college at 22, and I'll graduate in 1.5 years at 26. I don't think about it often, but I have a lot of regrets. My parents still let me stay at their house and want me to stay with them after college till I save enough to get my own place. I wanted to do so many things when I was small, but I really let that lil dude down.
>>
>>493212768
>>493212012

Went to sleep but i'm back to praise jon GOD and The Witness, his masterpiece that is perfect in every way (hyperbole)

Y'all niggas didn't get far into the game I guess so I'll spoil it. The environments themselves are puzzles, not just the panels, it's pretty much the joke of the game but it can't be advertised since it would ruin the joke. If you stand in specific spots and look in specific directions you will see the game world actually has line puzzles and you can click on them and solve them too. It becomes a whole new game.
As you can probably imagine if half the stuff in the island moved and shifted around constantly then those puzzles would be sometimes temporarily unplayable outside of the player's controls which would be bullshit.
This is why I like the game so much. It only has the things it needs to have and shaves off the rest. Music? No as it would distract. Stuff moving around the environment? It would occlude puzzles which would be bad game design.

Also the game's inspiration is fucking Myst which consisted of literally static screens, is that game shit and "not a videogame" too?
>>
File: 1718521751631119.jpg (150 KB, 1249x1276)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
>>493242891
At least you made a girlfriend in college though, right?
>>
>>493243059
> at least we tried, right?
>>
>>493227890
if your idea of making game mechanics is concepts like "pressing left makes you go left", it's not programming that you suck at, it's basic game design. If you can't program anything more complex than that, then yeah you suck at programming too.
>>
>>493243059
gamedev hell is seeing the game you could've made if you weren't such a lazy piece of shit
>>
>>493243059
I sometimes think how this would go with my past self, but then I remember I never had any real aspirations to begin with.
>>
>>493243493
>woah, what a piece of shit of a game! The world is better now that it was never made!
>>
File: replay.webm (3.5 MB, 1450x816)
3.5 MB
3.5 MB WEBM
>>493242436
>is this the multiplayer x-com-like with paradoxes?
yeah

>i was disappointed when i found out it was multiplayer only. i wanted to play against AI
yeah, this appears to be a pretty common sentiment lol. but for a long time it has been difficult for me to find satisfying ways to implement singleplayer content. the last game i made was singleplayer and i never really enjoyed playing it myself. i think it was because "tactics" genre trappings.

however, i think since this new game isn't a typical tactics game anymore, and is more focused on larger-scale strategy, i am finding it a lot more interesting to lay down design for singleplayer stuff.
>enter a massive dungeon with your expedition crew, which is just 1 hero at the start
>gain more heroes as you progress, place them in your hero roster, slot existing ones out as you please
>loot weapon stockpiles, free mercenaries, use laboratories to find new techs to slowly grow your army and arsenal, kinda like mount & blade but turn based
>equip your heroes with new gear
>be a full-on military at the end of the campaign, with mass infantry charges and air strikes

and then for mission types
>skirmish missions where it's a typical multiplayer match but against AI
>siege missions where you have to use just your roster to assault an enemy base and destroy it
>horde missions where you have to hold out against waves of enemies while building defenses
>escape missions where you just have to make it to the end of the level before enemies overwhelm you
>etc. etc.

>i wanted to play against AI
i've been somewhat excited to write AI again ever since i rewrote how abilities work. implementing AI and making it smart would be fun and easy, since every ability is basically built out of small reusable components (which means i only need to write behavior into each component instead of each ability)

>>493242612
its like a weird board game type strategy + tactics game (with very placeholdery graphics)
>>
>>493234125
The point of war is that if you win you get to take the other side's resources and order them what to do for your benefit.
>>
I GIVE UP

GAME DEV IS NOT FOR ME. FUCK. FUCK GAME DEV. 15 YEARS DOWN THE DRAIN.

alright see you guys tomorrow
>>
>>493244161
> 15 YEARS DOWN THE DRAIN.
newfag
>>
File: UnrealEditor_1UZZOAGn7p.jpg (486 KB, 1851x1138)
486 KB
486 KB JPG
Since i was redoing the look of the levels, i decided to address the complaint people had about the ground texture being too samey so using 128p textures instead of 64p less noticeable tiling with foliage and more layers of dirt that are populated by trees, i don't wanna add too much clutter as people still need plenty of space to move about.
>>
gaming industry is weird. i think it's because there's not that much investment needed so devs can do whatever they want.
if you buy a store and goods and have customers you really need to do things they like in order to attract them or you might end up in huge crippling debt.
but gamedevs, they never listen to players, dont give a fuck about anything, just do what they want.
like, name one industry that releases 100k+ products where 99.9% of these products dont make any sales.
imagine the car industry mass producing cars and people buy 0.01% of them.
its the most out of touch industry ever.
>>
File: knightsJousting.png (900 KB, 1604x765)
900 KB
900 KB PNG
Good morning AGDG, let's make some progress today!
>>
>phylactery would be a sick name for an rpg
>can't use it because people would be understandably upset the game isn't entirely about necromancy
>over time your necromancer could evolve their own unique look based on what divine laws they've transgressed or what flavor of fel energy they've ingested
>>
>>493240402
none of them, im protesting
>>
>>493244912
Ever gonna make a game?
>>
File: 1712821785943686.png (961 KB, 2048x2048)
961 KB
961 KB PNG
>texture looks different as i zoom out

what is this voodoo
>>
>>493244912
nigger you have bigger things to think about then theory crafting a name for a game
>>
>>493244912
>not making phylactorio
>>
File: file.jpg (78 KB, 333x500)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>493244912
did you mean negromancy
>>
why would anyone ever try to time his progress around /agdg/'s demodays?
>>
File: 1723587387205615.png (2.28 MB, 1836x972)
2.28 MB
2.28 MB PNG
I am demoralized
>>
how do i draw drop shadows in pixel art help
>>
>>493242403
I get what you're saying, but you're wrong.
>>
File: 1713375527270306.jpg (211 KB, 1199x899)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>493240623
Proof
>>
>>493245229
dont blame it on gamedev, it's usually other issues, finding another hobby doesnt help as it'll end in the same situation
>>
>>493244605
There are less and less retard filters. But at the end, like you say, the market comes crashing down on you. You meet the pavement eventually.
>>
>>493245229
Sorry Marmo, next time don’t spend 10 years making a really cringey anime game that no one wants to play
>>
DD54 had 101 entries
DD55 had 102
DD56 and DD57 both had 100
So is it just the exact same people showing up for every demo day?
>>
>>493245501
What job can I get in an industry that uses UE/inhouse C++ engines and Autodesk/Zbrush/Adobe suite when I can only use godot and blender?
>>
>>493245782
No one else is stupid enough to give their game away for free lol. If you want mine you can pay for it on steam like everyone else
>>
>>493242891
Start working very hard now at whatever it is you're doing. You're not far behind. If you work harder than others, like work 60 hours instead of 40, and you'll leap ahead. It's not too late anon. But also strive to work smart. Min max when possible, but work hard. You're not far behind at all.
>>
>>493245782
no because the numbers aren't exactly the same.
>>
>>493244605
A similar situation is seen with film, music and literature. It's normal for some of these creative endeavours to not make money. Comparing games industry to manufacturing is retarded and only shows how out of touch YOU are.
>>
>>493245858
>all AAA companies are stupid for releasing demos
Ok retard, enjoy your 10 review release
>>
patch notes:
- fixed bug
>>
>>493245858
Its Demo Day. You post demos.
>>
>>493245973
They are
>>493246019
No I won’t
>>
>>493245782
I happened to skip every other one. Skipping this one too.
>>
>>493245831
Idk faggot just kill yourself I guess. Fucking loser. Like what the fuck are you saying, you're too retarded to do a few c++ tutorials to pass an entry level test? Well ya, if that's the case it's over for you, you're right.
>>
File: 1698517803330827.png (253 KB, 650x487)
253 KB
253 KB PNG
>add the unity localization package
>random shit starts breaking
>>
>”NOOOOOO YOU HAVE TO POST TO DEMO DAY OR ELSE YOUR GAME WILL ONLY GET 10 REVIEWS!!! IGNORE THE FACT THAT NOT A SINGLE DEMO DAY GAME IN THE PAST 2 YEARS HAS GOTTEN MORE THAN 10 REVIEWS!!!!!! YOU HAVE TO GIVE ME YOUR GAME FOR FREE BECAUSE YOU JUST HAVE TO OK!!!!”
>>
>>493246120
Post game. Given your low IQ one-liners I'm willing to bet it's either shit or doesn't exist.
>>
>>493246239
Speaking of that, did you pay for that? Is it worth it? I was just going to program my own solution for localization, but if I could just use an existing feature that would be nice. I'll look more into that.
>>
>insert dildo into my anus
>realize i dont own any sex toys
>take pills
>realize i dont own any pills
>realize i shitpost
>still press post
>somehow the big bang made me do this
>>
>>493246361
No you can just add it. Too bad it doesn't fucking work.
>>
>>493246361
>>493246530
>poonity tards when they can’t just drag and drop the asset into the level and actually have to write a single line of code
It’ll be ok sweaty
>>
File: 1714883056057392.jpg (425 KB, 848x1200)
425 KB
425 KB JPG
>>493245634
Yeah its the world to blame for being shitter every passing year
>>
>>493246248
Funny shitposting but Marmo got 24 reviews
>>
what do you guys use for 2D animation? Spine?
>>
>>493246183
I'm going to apologize for going off the deep end, I shouldn't assume you were the anon who said I was wrong before. I went off because I hate negative people who make excuses. I hate people who think they are clever for building arguments against taking the hero's journey. These people are worms and disgust me.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume you were serious. If they use c++, and you only know c#, then make an app or follow some super long tutorial or even just buy a fucking textbook on C++ and learn it. It's not hard. If you're really good at one thing you should be able to pivot with relative ease. Some places might not even care you don't know c++ and might even let you do the entry tests in a language you're comfortable in.
>>
>>493247054
aseprite
>>
How do I make combat for a 3d RPG that doesn't suck but also doesn't force me to make a gazillion animations like dark souls
>>
red goats -> failures
green goats -> delusional
yellow goats -> unlocked the secrets of the universe and WILL make it
>>
File: 1705531063199763.png (273 KB, 640x613)
273 KB
273 KB PNG
>>493245782
I'm gonna be ready for the next one okay!!??
>>
>>493247160
You’re ready to give your game away for free? Imagine having that little faith in your ability to sell
>>
im a bit of an orange goat myself
>>
>>493247080
>aseprite
can it only be used for pixel stuff or also non-pixel art?
>>
>>493244161
good morning Cris
>>
>>493246807
true, thats why the great things were made in easier times.
>>
>>493246731
I already wrote my localization logic in sql for dialog. It's labels on the screen that I need to add a system for. I might be retarded for using sql in a video game instead of just reading from a file. I like sql so I used it, but we'll see if that fucks me up later.
>>
>>493247217
I wouldn't use it for non pixel art
>>
File: file.png (2.39 MB, 1920x1080)
2.39 MB
2.39 MB PNG
andrew gower could choose to make any game he liked
so he decided to make Runescape 3 v2
>>
:: Project Nortubel ::
progress :: Starting another cutscene.
>>
>>493244025
I don't know if it applies here but something I've never quite gotten from the X-COM games is some sort of grassroots beginning
maybe xcom 2 was like that and I haven't played it but most feel either
>government level -> government level but bigger
or
>survivors -> survivors but bigger
instead of
>bunch of farmers with guns -> union of farmers with guns that's basically government-level now
I guess Terraphoenix was like that but you never really get to see the scale of growth, you don't command anything at the larger scale

I'm really just ranting at the wall I don't think an indie could capture that feeling of growth, and even AAA games suck at it because AAA games suck at writing stories like that
>>
File: abom.png (44 KB, 436x332)
44 KB
44 KB PNG
I HATE STATIC TYPING I HATE STATIC TYPING
>>
>>493245782
>What are bell curves
>>
>>493244513
Based yark
>>
File: 1696312166211217.png (101 KB, 286x356)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
what programs to use for non-pixelart animation?
I tried spine, but its expensive and I recall hearing that there are better alternatives
>>
>>493247934
>c++ exists
>c# exists
>people use shit languages like that
i never understood
>>
>>493248910
there's dragonbones, never tried it myself
>>
>>493247083
Welcome to 3d dev
>>
File: GWtAnhp.jpg (345 KB, 1656x1332)
345 KB
345 KB JPG
>>493243493
Gamedev hell is spending years in a dark room all alone hoping you'll finally turn your life around with one released game, while other people are out there making memories and facing the hardships of life together.
>>
>>493249126
>pixel sharters when they get .01% of the glimpse into the difficulty of being a 3D dev
Stick to your little cartoon pixel drawings little fella, it’s more your speed
>>
>>493247739
nah i get you. though for me xcom has a lot of pacing issues with how it barely builds into anything past the early-mid stage point when you get 6 squaddies. in comparison, in mount & blade you go from a hobo to someone who commands their own nation basically

xcom also has that issue of being very slow to play (both animations and the odds calculation stuff), so any larger combat becomes drudgery to play, and that really weighs upon it later on.

to this game's credit, it is very fast to play. animations are quick and can resolve simultaneously, there is no direct RNG to calculate in the combat itself, and tactical decisions are usually fairly straightforward. the actual challenge comes from a greater strategic context, like which units and pieces of gear you want to use, whether you need to hold a territory or retreat from it, and so on. last playtest had both me and my friend at population cap, and turns still remained below 3 minutes (and because pvp is handled with simultaneous turns, there isn't that much waiting in general)
>>
>>493249094
People who obsess over short terse code piss me off. “I can write this in a short anti human way that is hard to not only read but also debug. It has no benefit other than its short! Awesome!” Can’t fucking stand that shit.
>>
>>493249429
its always webdevs making their own languages somehow
>>
>>493249258
You play with the cards the gods give you anon.
>>
>>493249123
thanks
>>
>>493249367
You will not stop me from making my 2d pixel platformer anon.
>>
Unironically having the reason why having more than 1 party of three adventurer's tackling the same dungeon together to make it easier being for no real reason other than that's the adventurers' guild's religion isn't contrived at all, there's silly religious stuff like that everywhere irl, it'd actually be rather poignant I dear say.
>>
>>493249429
>greybeards used to name variable and functions like "crb_asfw" 40 years ago because you had a limit to terminal line length
>this naming scheme sticks around for decades because of legacy codebases and pure grognard energy
>20 year olds today read code comprised of all consonants and underscores and they think "wow, this code must be REALLY good" and start doing it too
>>
>>493249930
why would I want to stop you? 1 less person competing with me for a successful game
>>
File: 1725466072829554.jpg (810 KB, 1020x1382)
810 KB
810 KB JPG
>>493249663
True, I guess I'm just bitterly flipping the table over the hand I've been dealt.
>>
>>493250132
are you saying its contrived that the adventurers guild only sent 3 guys?

desu it could be explained that the guild has to check out hundreds of dungeons for the big bad evil lair, and your party just had the misfortune of actually finding it
>>
the reject is using anime as a coping mechanism and thinks that a cartoon is representative of real life again! help!
>>
>>493250235
lol exactly. I feel like a platformer game could still be successful. But it better be fucking GREAT. The art, the physics, the level design, the mechanics. You gotta make it feel as good as super mario felt to an 8 year old 25 years ago. That means it has to be 10x better than super mario actually was. Good luck.
>>
>>493250181
Right. Once you get passed "Wow other programmers are so smart, I could never be that smart." And you just start writing simple code that solves problems, you then start to realize, wait a second, a lot of these people are just retarded....You look at that code and just ask why, what is this added complexity helping?
>>
how hard is too hard for a game? will people refund if they keep dying before beating the first boss?
>>
fuck it, it's good enough.
>>
>>493250810
dark souls is proof they won’t
>>
>>493250394
good luck with your transition
>>
>>493251000
trips of truth
>>
>>493250810
people hate unfair, hard but fair is fun
>>
>>493250810
depends on how it's hard.

Helldivers2 seemed to want to make the game as hard as possible, but the main thing that made it difficult was the game-breaking glitches they introduced every patch because they have no QA process due to being swedish.

If you have a well-functioning game where at least if you die you can say 'ok fair enough' then you might be ok. Just make sure to add a 'game journalist mode' in case you make it big
>>
>>493251587
>Just make sure to add a 'game journalist mode' in case you make it big
souls games specifically don't do that because it devalues everyone else's effort
>>
i cant dev... i... i ate some seed oil...
>>
>>493251587
It annoys me how people say the game lost all its players because of nerfs and buffs players didn't like. Ya that was annoying. But there were 2 problems that insured it's demise.

1. No diversity in gameplay. Eventually it just gets old.
BUT I'd say even with the lack of meaningful updates, it died a bit early because...
2. All the mother fucking game breaking glitches. You know how fucking frustrating it is to play for 40 minutes, collect all the samples, just to not be able to board the evac? That is fucking BRUTAL. Or more common you just drop and there is no easy way to get back in. You just play for 35 minutes, heading out, and you drop and appear back in your ship. That's why I quit. I couldn't deal with the constant game breaking issues that prevented the mission from finishing.
>>
a game where you just have a good time with your anonymous frens :)
>>
>>493252368
But I do want to say Helldivers 2 has some of the best game play of any game ever. Really cinematic and incredible what they did. An amazing game. Really has lightning in a bottle.
>>
>>493244513
Looks very sovlful from that perspective
>>
>>493251587
anon, if I added a game journalist mode it would just be a special mode that automatically posts the game journalist's home address and current location coordinates to twitter
>>
>>493252368
kek this sounds exactly like Magicka back in the day (same dev)
saw somebody try Magicka a few weeks ago and it was still broken, after all this time
>>
>>493244513
why is the entire level flat? cant you just import a heightmap and give the terrain a more natural feel? even if its subtle thats better than 100% flat. I hate games where I can obviously tell I'm walking on a flat plane the entire time
>>
>why is the entire level flat? cant you just import a heightmap and give the terrain a more natural feel? even if its subtle thats better than 100% flat. I hate games where I can obviously tell I'm walking on a flat plane the entire time
>>
File: angry_marnix_no_text.png (561 KB, 619x602)
561 KB
561 KB PNG
>>493247934
It's even worse than normal with gdscript since an array filled with Goals isn't necessary an Array[Goal]. So you need to have explicitly typed all those Goals before adding them to the array.
However, dictionaries don't allow for static typing, and the editor will sometimes randomly decide to break if you use it static typing of custom objects too often.

I really don't understand people who want it anyway. It's extremely verbose, requires tons of boilerplate, and the type of errors it catches aren't the ones that are hard to debug anyway.
>>
>>493252842
oops sorry I forgot about all the tranny pixel sharters here who hate being held to any level of effort standards that are expected by actual people who play video games. my bad!
>>
>>493252416
Imagine the comfiness of stardew valley but in a multiplayer game with anon frens. That would print money.
>>
>>493251585
hard but fair, and also cheesable with mechanics that require extra time but not extra skill. Eg., collecting a bunch of materials to make potions and then cheesing the boss by having 10 potions during the fight. whereas a skilled player can kill the boss without taking any damage
>>
File: media_GWdWzeSWwAIW5LD.jpg (994 KB, 2048x2048)
994 KB
994 KB JPG
>Today I got the surreal opportunity to do a 30 min interview with the creator of Stardew Valley @ConcernedApe!!
>He's genuinely such a nice and down to earth guy! Can't wait to share the interview soon! ^o^
>Thanks to @Fangamer &
@ZionDood for making this a reality!!

We'll be eating good ericbros
>>
>>493253137
minecraft
>>
>>493253192
>winnipeg
didnt know they had electricity up there
>>
>>493253192
It's crazy that I can tell the guy on the right is from the UK purely based on how ugly/inbred he is and how fucked up his teeth are
Imagine him saying OY GUV HIT DAT LIKE BUTTON ON MY YOOOCHOOOB CHANNEL MATE
>>
>>493253192
Damn must be rough that 99% of guys he takes pictures with are taller than him
>>
>>493253137
oh like stardew valley
>>
>>493241364
You said that two weeks ago, anon...
>>
>>493253237
>>493253503
Wow didn't realize we had such creatives here. Way to see future opportunities.
>>
dude imagine a game where youre a little pixel guy and you ave this cute peaceful cozy music playing in the background, youre not like really forced to do anything you can just do whatever you want, so you like start doing some little pixel farming on your pixel farm for some pixel crops and then... now check this dude its gona blow tyour mind,,, theres a CRAFTING system in the pixel cozy farming game right? so you farm, but then you CRAFT, all while listening to the most kino and based cozy tracks and smoking freaking hella weeed bro@
>>
>>493253337
thats a jets hat and there's no way anyone in the UK knows that that is however
>>
>>493252776
it's a matter of gameplay, you don't really notice the flatness with the 60 degrees camera angle, as you don't really notice height or lows with some subtle elevation to it either as it's flat shaded. i don't think there are any top down survivor games that have any type of elevation to their maps.
>>
>>493253791
How are you going to make a survivors game in unreal engine? You need thousands of enemies and unreal can barely handle 20-30 concurrent AI because of single game thread
>>
>>493253337
Marnix and Thomas are from Belgium though....

That guy on Eric's pic is Danish
>>
>>493253968
Slower pace, more focus on movement and interesting enemy mechanics rather than large hordes.

It's been though figuring out how to do it decently but it's working.
>>
>>493244513
wow looks cool
>>493253791
>survivors clone 4 years after the genre stopped being interesting/popular
why does no one in this thread have a single creative cell in their brain
>>
nigga I'm boutta go OFF THE DEEP END
>>
>>493254551
It was literally an april fools joke that people seemed to actually enjoy and wanted to see more fleshed out.

I won't be spending too long on it anymore, i want some release some updates get it into a state that could define it as a finished game and be done with it.
>>
>>493254551
It really is bizarre. Like didn’t any of you fuckers grow up playing games and go “wouldn’t it be cool if a game did x!” And now I’m making that game. Other people are just like, wow meatboy did good I should make a meat boy clone. Idu how people can be so lame.
>>
>inside the mind of every single agdg poster
>"I'm better than all these idiots. My game is going to make it."
>>
I just want to eat cake...
>>
>>493254528
Post gameplay? I would like to see how it works
>>
>>493255194
This is me for real.
>>
File: 1718976536380517.gif (1.3 MB, 200x200)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB GIF
Discord Day is getting close
>>
>>493255260
ok fatso
>>
File: 1720915028087157.gif (220 KB, 425x500)
220 KB
220 KB GIF
>>493255194
literally me (but my brain has also rotted)
>>
>>493255194
Well, hey, it’s not like this is just an anon board. People show their games. It’s not a mystery what the comp is.
>>
>>493254842
i didn't realize that Yark Survivors already released, congrats
>>
File: 1725478855315605.jpg (13 KB, 259x206)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>493255194
wtf are you me?
>>
File: 023291-31.gif (374 KB, 112x112)
374 KB
374 KB GIF
>>493255194
Why am I different? It's because in my case it's actually true.
>>
>>493255406

Thanks, early access ish as i pump out fixes and updates, i have some plans to set it apart from other survivor games aside from my addition of multiplayer as well ofcourse
>>
File: 1722424506718.png (432 KB, 737x851)
432 KB
432 KB PNG
>>493255260
Cake is bad for you
>>
File: hq720 (2).jpg (19 KB, 686x386)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
FAT FUCK GABEN STOLE MY GAME AND MY MONEH
>>
File: 1698759229724834.png (88 KB, 262x300)
88 KB
88 KB PNG
>>493255194
AIIIIIIIIEEEE THEY'RE ONTO ME
>>
>>493251104
Thanks enbie, I'm starting early so it might go good.
>>
File: 1715474724874.png (25 KB, 754x765)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
Did somebody say cake
>>
>>493255645
sorry not sorry
I need money to eat cake.
>>
>>493255194
I think my game both sucks and is better than 95% of the shit posted here.
>>
>>493256112
>300 million dollars
>gf looks like a man
was it worth it?
>>
File: 1700782686718183.png (160 KB, 536x717)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
Im drawing tilesets
>>
File: 1724868058726141.jpg (57 KB, 472x472)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>493256279
RUDE
>>
progress :: Dirlindu.
>>
>>493256279
Why haven't you applied for a big name studio yet?
>>
>>493256371
I freakin love dindu he are my favoring charcter !
>>
>>493256437
only a turd worlder would see working at a big game studio as a good thing lmao
>>
>>493256287
Yes because it means they love each other and have compatible personalities. Notch's baby wife divorced him in a heartbeat
>>
Any 3d artists looking for a collab?
>>
>>493256287
I'd probably also stuck with a woman that kept my broken dev ass while she worked.
>>
>>493256582
>notch's ex-wife
>a fucking weasel
guess that's what you get for ignoring physiognomy
>>
>>493252368
The guy in charge of balance, Alex Kravchenko, was the guy who fucked up Hello Neighbour 2, turning it into a game that nobody asked for

The devs didn't play their own game, they balanced the mostly based on analytics, and if there was a bug, such as fire DOTS not working on clients, then they'd balance the game wrong based on incorrect analytics. Also not to mention they'd pull shit like releasing a battlepass that focused on fire-based weapons, and then nerf fire-based weapons at the same time. There was no point in grinding for anything because at the end of the day you've ended up with a gun that is just as shit as everything else. And it's a coop game so why are they so keen on tweaking balance beyond fixing things that are obviously broken?

People wanted to go down to a planet, kill a bunch of bugs, call in some airstrikes and have fun. But the devs seemed to want to punish the players for having fun and/or being effective.
>>
>>493256819
desu it's not like she had any other choice
>>
File: b3.png (686 KB, 1000x750)
686 KB
686 KB PNG
>>493256112
>>493256287
>>493256501
>>493256819
>>493256852
>>493256976
Eric's wife looks great. She's clearly some kind of 100% Aryan Nordic phenotype. They look like that
>>
>>493256819
>>493256287
She doesn't look like a generic man though, she looks like Moot. Any REAL aggydev would be thrilled to have Femmoot as their partner.
>>
>>493256857
Ya, that's what people say, and I think you're wrong.
>>
>>493257335
I would like to castrate you with a hot iron.
>>
>aggydaggy still doesn't know that 90% of women look exactly like boys if you take off the makeup
whole lotta virgins in this place
>>
drinking in honour of dd58
>>
someone dropped out of DD58
>>
File: itsfuckingover.png (50 KB, 147x182)
50 KB
50 KB PNG
>Eric's wife looks great. She's clearly some kind of 100% Aryan Nordic phenotype. They look like that
>>
>>493257626
it's unmistakable
>>
>>493257498
>>493257581
feel like the last was like 55
>>
File: 1713729183739.jpg (285 KB, 752x800)
285 KB
285 KB JPG
>>493257626
Stay seething
>>
This guy managed to make a 1 second long video segment of a text flashing and making sound into a 1 hour long tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pxDS6BZNfM
>>
>>493257387
Me and my friends would play a game. The chance of our whole team making it through a game without a bug that prevents evac, or none of us dropping randomly, was so small, that it made the game unfun to play. Or even just joining a random game. "Game is full" Ok then why the FUCK did you show it as a game I could join?

Complaints like fire weapons or whatever don't matter nearly as much as fundamental issues. Such as noted bugs, and the fact that after 50 hours of playing you've seen it all. There is nothing to work for. There's no single player. It's a pain to play with friends. It's a pain to play with randoms. Systematic fundamental issues. If they added a new faction, or other modes to enjoy, it would have lived on despite the flame thrower not working as well.
>>
>the adventurer's guild religion says three adventuring gods made the trion crystals only work if there are only three adventurers in the party in the dungeon to preserve the profound sense of adventure they experienced adventuring together
>actually the trion crystals are just phylacteries created by necromancers who want dungeon divers to go get sick loot but don't want a large group of people with a respawn causing too much instability
>the crystals don't work if there are more than three dead adventurer's because all their souls will enter the crystal which can only create three bodies and that will mess it up
>also I guess all the players gear enters the drop table for that area that might be cute

Would you buy it? Am I closer to being done idea guying? Maybe forget the necromancer stuff and just go with the Gods?
>>
blorbros... I'm not gonna make it to DD. Main reason is I'm travelling (I always have to travel at DD HONESTLY) but also the scope has increased somewhat and I don't want to put out something half-baked.
>>
>>493257917
Bet you fifty cents that eric is very hairy
>>
File: file.png (308 KB, 563x335)
308 KB
308 KB PNG
>>493258020
>>
>>493258141
ideas dont matter, only execution matters
no one buys good ideas
they buy good games
stop being a gay little faggot like we both know you are and just, like, make game
>>
>>493257626
White women. Not even once.
>>
>>493258197
It's blorbover...
>>
>>493258264
Idu the connection between this and my post, but I guess I'll take boobs.
>>
>>493258293
Who shit on your mini pancakes?
>>
>>493258536
nodevs
>>
>>493258197
bro, EVERYTHING is half baked on dd. (except kalemonvo and PAT)
>>
>>493258141
this shit is too meta
>>
>>493258197
>(I always have to travel at DD HONESTLY)
how awfully convenient...
>>
File: kira the swordgirl.png (246 KB, 1124x1392)
246 KB
246 KB PNG
>>493258634
>monvo
>polished
i'll never forget the tiny skeletons and the dreaded door bug
>>
File: 1718906127483443.jpg (45 KB, 735x651)
45 KB
45 KB JPG
>>493255194
how could you tell?
>>
>>493247083
>>493249126
a 2D rpg would be easier? Not sure how setting some keyframes is harder than adding another line to your sprite sheet.
>>
I love making games!
>>
File: blorbsworld.png (201 KB, 816x711)
201 KB
201 KB PNG
>>493258634
That's true, but I'm reworking the map so that it's now a continuous map like zelda instead of a starfieldlike with chunks you travel between, so I won't really have time to finish putting together the map that I already made.
>>
im ngmi but im having fun
>>
>>493258141
>party of noobs dies in the dungeon
>now no one else can loot there until they're resurrected

That's retarded just say a god did it and you can't team up on the same task with greater than 3 people or you don't get rezzed by them. Also it would make more sense if only three souls fit in the crystal and if it's the wrong souls THEN they don't work.
>>
>Car mechanic follows tutorial to rice their car
>Oh wow amazing job
>Gamedev follows tutorial to rice their game
>Uhhh is that a hecking unreal asset flip tutorial?
>>
>>493234125
"war is bad" is the mainstream opinion, retard
>>
Today at work I have conceptually solved armor class and dice based systems
After my game comes out in 2030 even tabletop fags will adopt my system
>>
>>493232354
We already played Undertale
>>
>>493259841
did you play it with me?
>>
>>493259768
There is no mainstreme opinion on war. It changes by the week. War is bad one week. Media campaign comes out, actually war is heckin cool. Ok war is totally heckin cool again.
>>
>>493259768
War is very good as long as you can avoid the conflict like drumpf did.
>>
>>493259768
war is peace
(peace is bad)
>>
File: question.jpg (687 KB, 3378x1033)
687 KB
687 KB JPG
You think its better to have the earth to the right or down?
>>
>>493259990
The media does not represent mainstream opinions, everyone here should already know this.
>>
am I retarded for making my own tilesets in a non-pixelart manner? I figure the art will add to the appeal but its a lot of work and maybe nobody cares
>>
>>493250810
Hard but fun is always better than easy but boring.
>>
>>493260341
Just have the camera move.

Does it have furry like azurdev game?
>>
>>493251000
The first bosses in Dark Souls are not hard at all.
>>
>>493260748
There are no charcters/people, only ships, its a spacestation simulator.
>>
my demo is done for real
>>
>>493260782
this is why you cant talk about a game's difficulty on the internet, invariably some autistic redditor such as yourself will show up and say
>"UUHHMMMM AKKKCCHHHUUALLLYYY THAT GAME WASNT HARD AT ALL!!!!!"
>>
WIP music test
https://vocaroo.com/17yXuLK6oaOC
gonna put this in and get the build ready.
>>
>>493260375
They absolutely create mainstream opinions. You might think "there's no way people believe this right?" But the majority do. You better start believing in magic, because it's real. Spells, symbols of power, it's all real.

Think of covid. Or one of the best examples the Libyan war. Everyone was an expert on Libya and demanded its destruction after a week of media blitz. To this day people are like ya he's a dictator! They don't know fuck all about Libya. People are 1 week away from being in a psychotic murderous frenzy. Your neighbor is 1 week away from demanding your death over some arbitrary bullshit they won't care about a week after you're hanged.
>>
>>493260341
Right, that looks amazing, surprised we don't see that view more often. Down looks good too but that's a more common sight.
>>
>>493261123
I'm being serious. To me, a boss is hard if you can still fail repeatedly even after understanding it. Once you understand the mechanics of DS1 you'll never die to the Asylum Demon again but the Four Kings can still buttrape you.
>>
Guys... my life is too busy. I need to stop trying to game dev and go all in on real life. At least I have a few projects to show for it.
>>
>>493261590
Oof you were just one project away from making a gazillion dollars. Ah well...
>>
File: 4.2.jpg (1.98 MB, 1846x2524)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
Just upgraded to 4.3.. I don't know what the hell they did but it's tanking my fps from 270-80 down to 240's. The settings all look the same so what the hell is going on with the shadows.
>>
>>493261810
Godot 8 will fix this. Stay strong sister
>>
>>493261590
Congratulations on realizing what’s actually important in life

>>493261767
There are too many games and too many people wasting their time making more games. Stop adding to the pile of stuff no one wants.
>>
>>493261934
>Godot 8 will fix this. Stay strong sister
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (366 KB, 640x829)
366 KB
366 KB PNG
I'm not here to make money I'M HERE TO MAKE GAMES
>>
File: 1695671865384079.gif (3.83 MB, 600x338)
3.83 MB
3.83 MB GIF
zap
>>
File: RockAndRoll.webm (2.99 MB, 1920x1080)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB WEBM
rock n roll gobbo
>>
>>493262619
>>493262653
yuck
>>
>>493262298
Will that live if making games really keep you going. When you realize how much work is left. Are you going to be fueled by “enjoyment”? I’m fueled by hate, bitterness, greed. You know how bad I want some faggot to quote me and be like “achhhuzually you’re wrong “. And I just respond with my steam income. That hateread motivates me. Hate and greed are un ending. Powerful motivators. When I see someone say “I just love games” I see them as being weak. A moment away from BREAKING.
>>
>>493262653
Looking good. Especially like how the goblin falls down the hill.
>>
File: 2024-09-05 18_15_34.png (734 KB, 594x802)
734 KB
734 KB PNG
Is they right?
>>
>>493263045
>Is they right?
>>
File: file.png (381 KB, 1920x1080)
381 KB
381 KB PNG
>>493263045
the last one kinda looks like hellsing if he was a fat gay nigger
>>
How much does it cost for a low poly character with animations for walk, run and sitting?
1k? 5k?
>>
>>493263372
bout tree fiddy
>>
>>493263372
yes
>>
>>493263372
A nickel and some change
>>
>>493263045
you will see many nolgorb cosplayers soon
>>
Holy fuck my art looks kino on my new phone screen. Crazy how CSP runs on Android now
>>
>>493263372
free, check out mixamo
>>
>>493263684
yeah looks sick bro
>>
File: 1705786925347499.png (243 KB, 738x642)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>493263045
I've been watching youtube videos about the EOS announcement and they all go with the "THEY TRIED THEIR BEST OKAY?!!" message before trashing the game to not look mean because somehow gamedev lives matter now or something. Only results matter, can't stand it when people start bailing out the devs for a shit product. Same as how people still somehow cut gamefreak slack after pumping out garbage for 10+ years.
>>
>>493262619
literally no clue what's happening on the screen, same feedback you always get and same feedback you always ignore
zero visual clarity
>>
what if we all collab and create our own genshin impact
we'd be rich
>>
>>493261810
wow man hey nice asset flip you got there, its cool because you didnt actually hand make a single thing in your game wow nice dude thats sweet
>>
>>493264060
Nice idea, guy.
>>
>>493263045
It's 100% true, there are many games I didn't really have any interest in playing because I didn't like the main character.
This is also the reason why every damn AAA game is full of cosmetic dlcs even though autists will insist cosmetic dlcs don't matter, people care about appearances, a lot.
>>
>>493264060
Sounds communist to me. Communism could never produce a game as great as Genshin Impact.
>>
>>493264060
So marmoreal2.
>>
>>493264060
agdg has never and will never have a collab. Everyone's too autistic to work together. I've personally witnessed 4 collab attempts die.
>>
>>493264183
retard
>>
>>493242114
NEET at 30+ here. Feels like my time ran out and will need a job sooner rather than later. I fumbled hard.
>bad degree
>never had a gf
>has no one to go hang out with (family doesn't count)
>no clue what I was doing with this current game due to amatuer knowledge of gamedev and thus took years on it, still not done
But yeah waging just to have your own apartment and pay off bills solely to keep the cycle going? Sounds demoralizing. I just want to make it off gamedev so I can sit and do nothing if I feel like it. So I dont have to worry about whether my new games will be well received, I still want them doing well but it's just one less heavier worry for a lighter one
>12 hour dev days
Yeah I doubt I could pull that off even in great conditions. 4 hours is possible but 12?

>>493242403
Years ago it was easier to pull off the gamedev to wagie at triple A cycle, granted the guy I'm thinking off, iirc also has a CS degree.

>>493243059
Nta but never.
>>
>>493264330
Collabing just doesn't make any sense financially. Just work weekends at Mcdonalds to supplement your income. Hire a third world contractor to help. Start building an entity that produces games. That swears fealty to you.
>>
>>493264330
4 in what timespan?
>>
>>493264183
>its cool because you didnt actually hand make a single thing in your game

Is this a new kind of troll? Like you know I spent months hand making every single thing so you post the opposite to farm (you)'s?
>>
File: file.png (1.09 MB, 1121x1154)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
Salutes to the yesdevs.
>>
>>493261157
sounds epic. like an rts commanding huge armies or something
>>
>>493264638
did you make the font
>>
can we collab together
>>
>>493264793
yes
Ill do the ideas
>>
I might be hallucinating, but my skin looks a little more tanned, maybe what they said about becoming a werecris was true if you don't dev hard enough...
>>
>>493263995
it's pretty clear
>>
>>493264732
There's no text yet, when I do get to it, yeah I'll make the font.
>>
>>493264828
okay whats your ideas
>>
>>493263045
these designs are on the right side of history chud.
>>
>>493262619
Nice
>>
>>493264958
genshin impact but we add furries for that sweet furry cash
>>
>>493264505
>Yeah I doubt I could pull that off even in great conditions. 4 hours is possible but 12?

Lmfao. Fucking Bozo. What are you saving your fucking energy for, your 8 hour goon session? If you don't have a bitch, don't have friends, you can sit on your ass and program 12 hours a day for like, 6 months, before maybe you start getting worn out and then you can get it back to 10 hours a day.
>>
>>493265120
can we scope down a bit... i cant model and animate and code all of that.
>>
File: aXnbnvV_700b (1).jpg (101 KB, 700x917)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>493264505
Didnt include pic...I just want to relax and not worry about everything or be beholden to a job that only pays me enough that it'd take me until Im 60+ to retire. And by that same token Im under greater pressure if my games flop, it stings harder of you're not rich to begin with. A game flops and that's years of your life down the drain.
>but you got better and can make a new game quicker
If you quit then it feels like it was for naught. I just want to be able to finall
>>
>>493265120
but you gave the idea to everyone else here, are you retarded?
>>
>>493265174
no
Im out of the project and Im taking my ideas with me
>>
>>493265174
can you weight paint some clothes for the project? my uncle already made them but he died before painting.
>>
File: spellbook_pickup.webm (569 KB, 1280x720)
569 KB
569 KB WEBM
Watching this on repeat soothes my simple brain
>>
>>493265271
fuuuuuck noooo. :(
>>
>>493265293
poe2
>>
File: 1725463136594753.png (1.95 MB, 1670x1536)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB PNG
HauntedChocolatierbros... New Lego set just dropped. It's so heckin over
>>
>>493265134
>what is burnout
>>
>>493263045
Top left looks like some offbrand low quality Doom armor copycat ordered from China
>>
>>493265293
seriously what do you gain by posting footage from other people's actual successful games? are you hoping someone will say "le heccin epic maymay my fellow kind gentle sir!!!"
>>
>>493265686
You shouldn’t burn out doing something you love. When it’s all you have.
>>
File: Doomguy_render.png (623 KB, 675x782)
623 KB
623 KB PNG
>>493263045
>>493265723
>>
File: GWEydugWIAALoz3.jpg (145 KB, 1922x1080)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
Would people get mad at me if I submitted Punch Monkey to Demo Day? No one seemed to mind when I submitted Munchin' Monkey even though it was a week old
>>
>>493266065
Why should you care if people get mad or not?
>>
>>493265197
His post is a joke hut I will never understand the anons who shill their ideas in a convincing manner. Sure the yesdevs are occupied with their current games but whose to say they didnt end up increasing their own competition or inevitable failure thanks to some whodev or redditor passing by seeing it and copying it all while making it better than anon.

This person cam watch yours and avoid the mistakes you make while taking all the good stuff from yours while keeping his underwraps to orevent yours from reaching parity to his in time
>>
>>493265293
Hm doesn’t look very good at all honestly, maybe start by trying to make the pages of the book blow with the wind very subtly but as the book moves up the pages should all react to the movement like how it works in real life and same with when it moves down too the pages should move a little or rustle around it just would feel more hyper realistic which you pretty much need to have in a 3D game
>>
>>493266141
I wanna be respectful
>>
>>493265375
>>493265796
>>493266256
I've lost the ability to tell when I'm getting trolled
>>
>>493266065
We don't know the final boss of Salaryman Shi, we don't know the final boss of Benbo, and we certainly won't know your final boss even if you invite us to look at the full game.
>>
>>493226235
risk of rain guy
>>
2 years without checking the thread i see you still dont talk about making games in here cya
>>
Question. When I win my game of the year award, do I have to come up on stage to accept my award? I don't want all of you freaks to know what I look and sound like because you'll all stalk me.
>>
>>493266242
I will shill a few ideas. But it's for games I have no intention of making. I also don't believe anyone would create the game I envision. It might rhyme. If your game is so simple that a short paragraph allows someone to truly copy your vision, you're kind of fucked. Even if you said something like "Make a post apocalyptic 3d open world game with a 1950's aesthetic" look at Fallout 3 vs New Vegas. Literal same engine, same setting, but two VASTLY different games.

Saying that though, for the game I'm actually working on, I'm keeping it under wraps because I don't need a bunch of hacks shitting up the concept.
>>
>>493266537
>t.The guy complaining about little dev posts for weeks on end now
>>
>>493264316
It's only socialism if you're forced to do it. Do you think if we lived in a successful socialist society where the farmer's actually did their democratically assigned work and grew everyone's food or the party had their AI robot farmer's running smoothly and growing everyone's food that we'd all be assigned to the same department in the ministry of game dev?
>>
>>493265134
Not him but I plan to get a job while working on my game. That leaves me around 4 to 8 hours to work on my game as well.
>>
i want to make a spyro-like
>>
>>493265293
looks like shit
>>
>>493266661
Man I was just making a joke since it’s a Chinese made game.
>>
>>493266729
>4 to 8 hours daily
>with a job
You underestimste how many points of time a job takes up of your free time that aren't paid hours eg driving to and from work, lunch time, getting ready/unready for work
>>
>>493265796
just let him do his little autistic ritual for the next 30 posts, he thinks he's "demoralizing" the thread or something
>>
File: file.png (383 KB, 435x1119)
383 KB
383 KB PNG
>>493267003
>>
>>493266903
Yeah I thought it was funny. Sic semper tyrannis brother.
>>
>>493266775
Man you must take some weird looking shits then!
>>
File: 1701622155975229.gif (151 KB, 500x500)
151 KB
151 KB GIF
>>493264316
Genshit being a heavily monetized pastiche of various jap games like BotW aside, do people really think the CCP is still akshually communist
>b-b-b-but its the Chinese Communist Party
Yeah sure, like the Democratic People's Republic of Korea
Same people who think the USA is a bastion of free markets lol
>>
/vg/ is such a shitty board for game development discussion
>>
i use AI to get inspiration
>>
>Genshit
Go back.
>>
>>493263045
It looks like the bastard child of the Blizzard and Final Fantasy art teams. Overdesigned with wonky proportions and a weird obsession with shoulders. You'd think so many individual unique details would create a distinct look but everything just blends together.
>>
>>493267306
Chinese government literally killed Jack Ma (richest Chinese guy and owner of alibaba) you dumb retard. China isn't free
>>
>>493267393
Ya and what do you want to see. Gay programming posts? What's missing Mr To Cool For Us.
>>
>>493267528
game development discussion
>>
>>493265723
Yeah all of them look like "what if popular design, but *gay black woman/old hag/disabled poc*".
>>
>>493267528
we need wholesome devlogs about implementing petting dogs
>>
>>493266729
I'm the anon who said to work 12 hours a day. Having a job is more problematic then it first seems. My strat is to wake up at 5 in the morning on weekends and work on the game. Some weeknights I also work. But it'll be real hard if you actually work 4 hours on top of your 8. Good luck anon.
>>
>complains about agdg
>doesnt comment on any progress posts, also doesnt post progress
how curious!
>>
File: file.png (78 KB, 182x273)
78 KB
78 KB PNG
>>493267849
progress
>>
File: SeasonSwitches.png (1.41 MB, 1024x767)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB PNG
Finally got seasonal switches implemented. Had to update engine to 5.4 to do it without insane if statements in material graphs.
>>
>>493267849
why would i post progress in the thread
>>
File: file.png (252 KB, 492x317)
252 KB
252 KB PNG
How do I fix this?
>>
>>493267879
I am attracted to your pixelated female goblin character
>>
>>493267880
Very neat anon. Was a MPC not sufficient for what you wanted to change between seasons? I'm curious why you needed to update to 5.4 to accomplish it
>>
>>493267879
>AI slop
you will never learn blender
>>
>>493268010
you wouldnt, because you dont have a game (LOL!)
>>
>>493267880
is this a daggerfall like? I dig the vibe a lot. let me walk around in first person with a cool enchanted sword
>>
File: Newswitch.png (60 KB, 454x534)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
>>493268081
I am using an MPC value to control the switch, but somewhere in the 5.2-4 range, they added a new switch node with multiple inputs, allowing for the four seasons. Previously you had either an if node, with 3 possible, or a static switch, with 2.
>>
>>493268329
no, it's a dev-wasting-time-like, it has the characteristic half-a-decade-of-work and a feeling of 5-players-at-launch-like
>>
>>493267582
Uninspired boring response. Typical.
>>
File: 2024-05-04 11-51-41.webm (3.56 MB, 800x478)
3.56 MB
3.56 MB WEBM
>>493268329
Close, but not quite. It's a hybrid dungeon crawler, so you're exploring with free motion in first person, but combat is Wizardry style (RIP Werdna) turn based combat presented in full 3d, a la FF7.

Example posted
>>
>>493266065
I always submit to DD if my game had an update.
>>
>>493268539
That's pretty slick, thanks for the tip anon. I had hacked together a level theme switcher on a previous project by chaining lerps in the master material, which did avoid the cost of switches/ifs but was a huge pain in the ass to maintain.
>>
The player can choose not to join the adventurer's guild and play on perma death mode but I was planning on designing things such that playing optimally to get the best ending would involve taking risks that would all but ensure the player's party wipes once or twice. Metal.
>>
>>493267879
/agdg/ games need more goblin girls.
>>
>>493268031
Fix what? Also, did you model this loli?
>>
File: 2024-06-22 17-55-02.webm (3.88 MB, 800x600)
3.88 MB
3.88 MB WEBM
>>493268630
You know, you're probably correct. But I'm making the game I would like to play, and if others would like to do so as well, that's a win.

I hope you have a great day, my man. Thanks for the reality check.
>>
>>493268031
>How do I fix this?
With a noose
>>
>>493268895
Hey that's the game I'm making. Game name? I want to play our game.
>>
File: Dancing.webm (3.84 MB, 1550x854)
3.84 MB
3.84 MB WEBM
>>493269124
GOOD NEWS:
>>493269029
Happy to help. Getting my head around the material graph has been a hell of a journey.
>>
>>493269124
My game will have goblin girls. Ogre girls. And yes, you can mate with them. This has consequences based on your faction alignments.
>>
Soon will be the age of the quasiroguelike tbjrpg.
>>
File: GAjIrRqWQAAJyd7.png (526 KB, 716x638)
526 KB
526 KB PNG
I just wrote a 20-page "Game design document" in 5 days, outlining a game completely from start to finish

are you seriously going to sit there and try to tell me that there's no profitability in such talent?
>>
>>493229509
>first post complains about story side but likes the complicated RPG mechanics autism
>posting agreeing with him hates on the complicated RPG mechanics autism
lel
>>
File: 1716069904256.gif (75 KB, 56x56)
75 KB
75 KB GIF
>>493269216
putting more than a year in a project is a luxury only people with notoriety and experience releasing complete games have.
if it's your first real game, you should put less than 1/10th or even 1/20th of your vision, because even that is going to be extremely challenging when you take into account every step of the process until releasing it to a public. In the end, doing 1/10th of your original vision but in a complete product, will teach you 90% of things you would have learnt if you had put years of your life in your first project trying to make it a 1:1 of your original vision.
>>
>>493270015
it's only a "talent" if the document is good
>>
>>493270015
now secure at least 500k funding with
>>
>>493270015
>there's no profitability in such talent?
There *IS* profitability in such talent, but only if you are
-Renowned enough to get companies to trust you
-Well connected enough to get plugged in as project lead without previous experience
-A woman, black man, or another kind of diversity hire
At least one of these three is required to get a project handed to you.
As a solodev, it's a worthless skill unless accompanied by other skills, just like being good at graphics is useless without a programmer or a game designer.
>>
>>493270180
Congrats you just killed stardew valley.
>>
>>493270195
>>493270360
>>493270494
I forgot to mention that I also have the skills to build the game from start to finish. I'm not selling GDDs to other companies that's stupid
>>
>>493270015
Cool story, now make the game.
>>
>>493270601
>I forgot to mention that I also have the skills to build the game from start to finish
Then there is a big profitability from such a talent, I suggest you start right now since the design document is done
>>
>b-b-but you didn't take into account the 0.000000001 of devs who became millioneries with their first game (it was their third b-but that doesn't matter!!), owned!!!!
>>
>>493270719
actually I already have all the major systems coded from a previous project so I already started months ago
>>
>>493270601
What do you want us to say. We all assume your gameplay ideas are stupid and you’ll fail to implement them. I mean good job at doing step one. But it’s assumed any dev that will make it has your skills. So why haven’t you made it yet if it’s good. I’m skeptical of anyone who even puts so much thought into gameplay. I’ve enjoyed like, 3 games in my life with actual difficult/complex new mechanics. Chess has like 6 unique pieces. Complexity isn’t needed. So why do we need some complex document when you’re the only dev anyway.
>>
>>493271020
>so why haven't you made it yet if it's so good
because time is linear and has a fixed speed so I can't give you any apples from an apple tree I planted two years ago you're being unreasonable
>>
>>493271340
then how do you know the apples taste good
>>
Unless you're committed to doing a Waterfall development cycle where nothing can deviate from the initial design, a game design document is shit and should be outdated as you iterate upon the fun.
>>
>>493271412
because I already tasted them from the trees I stole the seeds from
>>
>>493271340
>he fell for the linear time meme
ngmi
>>
>>493271435
Just because you update the document as you go doesn't mean it's a bad idea
>>
File: ballman.png (186 KB, 867x776)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
>>
>>493271742
HXH bros...
>>
>>493271340
Well if you've never programmed anything of value, then the market won't value your ideas highly.
>>
I struggle to make a coherent story that actually makes any sense.
Everything i write feels really cool when i write it bit then it feels like a fever dream when i playtest it and read my nonsense writing.
Should i just make a action roguelike or something like Vampire Survivors?
I wouldnt have to make a story if i did that instead.
>>
>>493270180
shut up marnix, some people have vision
>>
>>493272458
You can make a million games without a story. Even a game like Stardew valley has deceptively few story elements. You'd think a game where all there is, is a farm and and a town with townspeople, would have a lot of story. And it does have a decent amount of dialog but it's all cut off from any over arching story. "My moms a messy bitch" "Ya I'm an alcoholic, life's hard." It's a bunch of mini self contained stories a child could write. I'm not saying it's bad and I credit Eric a lot for his choices of stories to tell.
>>
>>493272458
im in the same boat anon, i cant write or draw for shit, i only know how to program. so im making a simulator.
>>
Are there any issues with making a Slay the Spire clone, except with cute anime girls?
>>
>>493270508
Most people don't have a sugar mama willing to pay the bills while working on a pipe dream. Their advice is good for the person who needs to actually support themselves with their own work.
>>
File: 1721095188351344.jpg (30 KB, 528x430)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>493270780
WOW WHAT A UNIQUE THOUGHT THAT HASN'T BEEN SAID A MILLION TIMES. FUCKING INCREDIBLE ANON PLEASE POST MORE.
>>
>>493273064
>WOW WHAT A UNIQUE THOUGHT THAT HASN'T BEEN SAID A MILLION TIMES. FUCKING INCREDIBLE ANON PLEASE POST MORE.
>>
>>493273028
Ya well why don't you. Why don't you have a woman. Why don't you have a family you can live with. Why can't you scrape some money together to hire a contractor to take care of art or programming. Why can't you do anything. Maybe you should reflect on your tactics that you are using to achieve your overall strategy and find a more effective way then just being like "Well, guess I gotta make a bunch of fucking shit to pollute steam with."
>>
>>493271435
It's worse than that. A game design document is required only if you need signoff from management or money men. If you don't have that and you're doing it because people in the industry say they do it, then you're basically cargo culting a process that you have no actual use for.
>>
>>493273064
If you say the truth often enough some retards will reject it just to be contrarian
>>
>>493273374
>>493271435
The design doc is really just to make sure you don't dive into development with nothing but a vague idea in your head and a dream in your heart. You'd think nobody is stupid enough to start aimlessly working on a project without clearly defined objectives but it does happen.
>>
>>493273389
Ya and what's the truth, that there's a correct path to game dev enlightenment? There's a correct path to making a game that people enjoy playing? And for some reason this correct path is to first make a bunch of shitty games nobody likes? "Hey man to get good at boxing you should first play Basketball, get your cardio doing well!" How about I just box.

I do agree though. Truth eventually becomes boring and the mongrels grow restless.
>>
>>493273746
"no rules, just right" is part of the fun.
>>
>>493273746
Anon some of the best games of all time start with a core idea and a whole lot of vagueness. Fallout wasn't based on the 1950's until deep into dev. Companions weren't a thing til the end. I'd rather have a game with a settings screen, an intro screen, save systems, localization support, all that shit taken care of, before I worry about having every clearly defined detail written down. Stop acting like that is a must.
>>
>>493273374
It's a way to put ideas in order
If it wasn't called a design document it would just be my dev diary or whatnot, it's still helpful to design things mentally before coding them
>>
>>493273821
keep putting more months in your perfect first game that reflects your talented vision and passion anon, maybe you will release it by the end of the 2026 to the amazing amount of 14 players!
>>
>>493274435
Ya I will. Why are you acting like game making is a fucking mystery. Haven’t you been playing games since you were 5? How much more fucking practice do you need.
>>
>>493270180
my vision is 20x dark souls, thanks for the advice
>>
File: 20240905_130144.jpg (1.09 MB, 1654x2598)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB JPG
I'm putting an old school manual pdf into my game files as something to work on while waging since I have access to photoshop at work.
Tacky or no?
>>
>>493274574
>Playing games is the same as making them
>>
>>493266516
>We don't know the final boss of Salaryman Shi

apparently it's a housefly: https://youtu.be/ruV5vC6pxTk?t=1260
>>
>>493274618
Not tacky but I think the font doesn’t match the art style/aesthetic
>>
>>493274161
Without defining "core idea" we're just talking past one another. Some people would consider "I want to make an RPG" to be their "core idea" while others would have the whole rule system defined before starting to make the actual game/campaign that uses them. It's the former group that really struggles in development hell because their core is a nebulous cloud they can't really coalesce around. Fallout may not have had the set dressing figured out before starting development but they knew they were making a GURPS-based RPG.
>>
>>493274618
It's pretty fucking cool anon
>>
File: 1709933327035362.jpg (60 KB, 405x412)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>493274574
>Haven’t you been playing games since you were 5? How much more fucking practice do you need.
your mind truly deteriorates when you put more than 6 months in a project, that explains a lot
>>
For 2d is it easier to get something cool with drawings or with pixels?
>>
>>493274618
very cool
>>
>>493274697
Ya it basically is if you’re not retarded. “I need to go to school to learn what is fun” fucking bozo
>>
I will make the next Minecraft tier success as a solo dev and theres nothing you can do to stop me.
Seethe more crab.
>>
>>493274435
How is releasing 4 shitty game for 10 players each better than releasing 1 slightly less shit game for 14 when you can actually be proud of the latter?
>>
my game good your game bad
>>
>>493275196
4 times 10 is 40 and 1 times 13 is 13.
>>
>>493275196
>How is making 1000 drawings a year better than releasing 1 mega drawing
>>
>>493274982
If you have to ask you must not be an artist, and if you're not an artist you should go for very low res pixel art, because that's how you hide your shitty art skills.
>>
>>493274618
>The impaled pastors believed that enlightment could only be found by running blessed spears through their bodies
Were they stupid?
>>
>>493274895
I’ve been devving about a year on my game. Still don’t have basic gameplay or a “game play loop”. Fuck it. I e played games before. Whats there to fucking test. I’m not making a new genre.
>>
>>493275378
He is not going to develop 1000 games in that timeframe
>>493275374
That's still nothing is my point
>>
>>493274732
>>493274807
>>493274987
Thanks guys. I think I got a better font I can use but I get rights to it first
>>493274982
I'm much better at drawing and painting than pixeling. I can hide a lot of my shitty art with textures and lineweight. Pixels I can't hide it unless I use dithering which I'm still learning
>>
>finally have time to progress
>feel violently ill in every possible way
Jesus christ wtf I haven't even eaten in two days because I was working non stop on my homework but I've been having diarrhea and vomiting, also migraines are bad I can barely look at my computer right now.
It's sun/heat sickness I tell you, I'm seriously considering to drop out of grad school just to leave this godforsaken state and work as a fucking janitor or high school teacher (homeomorphically the same).
>>
>>493275563
Well they didnt just die they became living skeletons after doing that so there must have been some grain of truth to what they were saying.
>>
>>493274982
pixel art is more like painting than drawing desu. if youre not that good at anatomy or solid forms then its a good way to hide your lack of skill
>>
File: 1702773961135990.png (81 KB, 615x598)
81 KB
81 KB PNG
>>493275413
I have a sister who's a drawfag and likes games, I can put her to work like a nigger in a plantation
>>
>>493243059
Amazing, I have the same recurring thoughts for as long as I turned 18 or even earlier, where I'm asking how my younger self (7 years or so) would look at grown up me. How would the kid me react about my job, about my life choices, about my love life and overall the presence, face, behavior.
I'm afraid that my younger me would be appaled or frightened how the end goal looks like, but at the same time I think I've made some decisions that would make kid me happy, overjoyed even.
It's strange to find the same way of thinking in a comic strip from some random guy, but with a different message.
>>
>>493274762
Ya my core idea was make an rpg set here. Scope is x. Combat pretty limited, mostly sim combat. Dialog system. Quests. Let’s do it boys.
>>
>>493267879
>dirty knee
fucking slut!
I love this
>>
>>493276015
Just use AI and don't bother your sister with your infantile gamedev hobby.
>>
>oh wow anon are you a gamedeveloper with 7 years of experience?, that great!, i can't wait to work together and publish your game, how many games you said you released before?
>>
progress :: Uulga shows up.
>>
>>493275563
Yeah then they evolve like a Pokemon by shoving a consumable item called a sacred spearhead through their face so their onto something (no I am not kidding)
>>
I can't believe anons need to be told that you will be better at something the more frequently you do it.
>>
>>493274618
Love it to bits. but font is a bit small here and there
>>
File: 1724926427786902.jpg (213 KB, 1920x1080)
213 KB
213 KB JPG
>>493276261
hahah
>>
>>493276365
Or that you have a better chance of success if you sit down and make a plan for your game. Fail to plan, plan to fail.
>>
>>493276365
Explain Cris then.
>>
>>493276365
Ya and by making a hard game to make you dive to greater depths. You reach higher peaks. That’s where you learn.
>>
>>493276503
Cris literally never finishes anything and doesn't actually strive to improve, his schizophrenic ass thinks he's perfect already. You can study Spanish for 7 years but you'll improve and be even remotely fluent if you still don't know the different between "el" and "la".
>>
>>493276503
Cris is actually very lazy and spends most of his time procrastinating, like reading books about baroque bullshit, and he hops between interests like the ADHD-ridden retard he is, which is very bad for improving, since you do need consistent practice. This is why drawing once a week will NEVER get you anywhere.
>>
>>493276503
What are you on about? Cris is a master at what he does the most: coping
>>
>>493276503
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKMMCPeiQoc
>>
>>493276830
*you'll never improve
>>
Perma-/beg/s and cris-likes exist in every field with a high skill ceiling.
>>
File: evilSanta.png (520 KB, 1024x1024)
520 KB
520 KB PNG
Cris already won 4chan. He is talked about on every board, a literal hero.
>>
Thoughts on this system?
So you can get items that will increase your deadly sin or divine virtues and each 14 types will modify your elemental affinity
i.e. wrath = fire affinity
Or should it be that you get the sin or virtue itself as an item that gives the elemental modifier?
>>
File: 1720985986613105.jpg (58 KB, 703x707)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>493275196
in every single aspect of art and science, beginner gain experience,skills and recognition by doing many small (good) projects continuously, it's been like this since the fucking renaissance. Telling a beginner to just work in his dream product for half a decade of his life is a death sentence to his career, not only he will go completely unnoticed during that time, but his end product will forever have the curse of "this shit took him 5 years to develop".
>>
Cris is already better than one third of /agdg/. Only 5 more years until he's better than half of /agdg/.
>>
>>493277583
Cris, you're talking about yourself again.
You're infamous on 4chan because you're literally such an annoying bastard that evades every ban possible
didn't they even range ban the whole country at one point because of you?
>>
>>493277864
Cris is better than most of AGDG because he actually makes stuff instead of just thinking about making stuff.
>>
Agdg proven incorrect that small projects are beneficial over larger projects. Queue schizo Chris posts to repair their egos.
>>
>>493276268
how big is her dick?
>>
cris has never made a small good project because he never finished at least 1, not finishing a project does the same harm to your brain as putting more than 6 months in one single project
>>
>>493278305
>>493277864
see >>493277882
>>
>>493277864
There's only one third of /agdg/ that is nodev?
>>
I just got an idea for a vampire survivors-like game with a twist that hasn't been done before but I don't want people to know me as a sellout making cheap slop for quick profit. Having integrity can be so difficult sometimes.
>>
>>493231984
I still don't get who this game is for to warrant all this much effort and time put into it. But I can respect it. I like the black bar constantly covering the mc's eyes. It's a nice gimmick
>>
File: molyneux.jpg (53 KB, 463x372)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
Fighting game but you're the judge
>>
Im in love with Cris.
>>
>>493259990
I just watched a video of a Russian man die in agony after his stomach was ruptured by a drone bomb and his organs were tossed around on the ground (boring and seen it before). I didn't even finish watching it, just skipped halfway and watched a cat slipping on ice instead (cute and funny).
>>
>>493277698
Having different items that each increase sin/virtue that then increase elemental properties would provide more design space for items instead of just having the 14 sins/virtues as items.
>>
I just mogged Cris
Thoughts?
>>
>>493280072
Meh.
Cris draws better.
>>
>>493280072
I'm following a 14 years old girl on twitter who mogs half this thread in drawing skills, that's not a high bar.
>>
>>493263045
Honestly these characters would look right as NPCs in a not-Star Wars used-future open world game. Which I suspect Concord was, until at some point some executive slapped his dick on the table and announced that they're making a live-service hero shooter instead.
>>
>>493280072
No anti-aliasing, too many jagged lines, 6/10
>>
I don't know what game to make. My rpg that I started isn't even something I'm interested in and is way too much work just to impress people.
>>
>>493280314
Why are you following 14 year old girls on social media...?
>>
>>493280072
I like it
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl9pTDK8PAk
>>
>>493280503
Because I'm a pedo of course, why else?
>>
File: oh god.jpg (350 KB, 1143x640)
350 KB
350 KB JPG
>>493226119
Pretty based he gets to work on half life 3 now. Kinda wish he would make a risk of rain-like for valve and kill gearbox honestly. Maybe make team fortress 3 a risk of rain 2-like for the non-pvp mode.
>>
>>493267879
is this AI? Hair and ear details seem a little inconsistent. Post 3/4th view if you're real
>>
>>493280503
I'm not that other guy. Because she draws nice and I want to see how she improves over time.
>>
>>
>you are too good for /agdg/ you must be using AI!!!!
>>
>>493280845
The tongue
>>493280723
The mind
>>
>>493280982
nice criscore game
>>
>wisdom isn't the accumulation of knowledge, but using the knowledge one does has to make good decisions, common sense
>wisdom increases basic attack damage

Ludokino?
>>
>>493280824
Yes.
Its 3D model generating AI
>>
File: awkward-blonde.gif (282 KB, 220x242)
282 KB
282 KB GIF
Going today to learn RGSS.

I wanna see if I learn rpg maker scripting.
It should be fun.
>>
>>493277698
Sounds gay
>>
>>493281170
How are you going to use the knowledge you have without accumulating knowledge?
>>
>>493281294
Intelligence? duh
>>
The problem is that I don't know to do
>>
File: images(1).png (5 KB, 243x208)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>>493278861
b-but my single project has improved a lot in the past six months....
>>
>>493278861
what the fuck disposable shit are you guys aspiring to make if you aren't willing to put 6 months into a single project?
>>
>>493281040
the pressure to draw in a way that couldn't possibly be AI is weird. I feel it. Painting with a decent understanding of forms/values = it looks AI to 80% of people now
>>
>>493281368
I think you might have actually gotten it backwards.
Wisdom is the accumulation of experiences over the years, hence why people say wisdom comes with age
Intelligence is knowing how to use them
Learn English
>>
>>493277841
Well, my first project will probably take a good 3 years. It's a project I have faith in. It's a project that will stand apart from others in the genre. I have a marketing plan. I have a plan for a follow up game that will likely take much less dev time. There's just no reason to do what you say to do unless you're kinda helpless and confused.

And why is this shit all about learning anyway. You people have all these excuses to fail. All these excuses to not follow the hero's journey. And you prepare in advance to fail to and then have an excuse ready to go. "Well it's not my dream game and I learned so much!" Ya I'm sure you learned a ton.
>>
>>493280314
>I'm following a 14 years old girl
Cris... stop it. NOW
>>
>>493281620
You're inverting cause and effect. Wisdom isn't the accumulation of experiences, the accumulation of experiences contribute to one's wisdom.
>>
>>493281772
My guess is that it is legal in his third world country.
>>
>>493281263
Why? It's like having 14 more talisman/ring slots but dedicated to elemental affinities
>>
>>493281156
>criscore
show me anything he has done that looks like bokube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlK67jy2GV0
>>
File: read_books.png (2.8 MB, 1440x1173)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB PNG
The player will be rewarded for reading books
>>
>>493282280
>open book
>skill increase
>close book in 0.2s
>>
File: 1692392704980144.gif (1.95 MB, 268x210)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB GIF
>i have a plan for succeeding in a place i haven't never been before, trust me bro! i will take me half a decade but i am going to achieve success without achieving failure before, just like the heroes from my marvel movies!!!
putting more than 6 months in a single project is only you should do, BUT only if you already have experience, skills and recognition ensuring your time won't we wasted in a ugly flop.
>>
>>493281568
20 Minutes Till Dawn was made in 2 months and it's better and more well received than the game people spend literal years on here
>>
>>493282603
You have to read the entire book out loud and anwser a simple quiz about the contents of the book to get the skill increase(microphone required to play the game)
>>
>nah bruv you shouldn't dare to spend a year or more on a passion project, 6 months max but ideally fewer otherwise you're just wasting your time! pump and dump baby!
>wtf why is steam constantly bombarded with low-effort slop and shitty tutorial games? how will my game stand out?
wild
>>
>>493283131
Retard
>>
>>493282280
is this that poe-like that people keep dogging on?
>>
File: 1725450861688.png (2.88 MB, 1151x1229)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB PNG
She's so lucky
>>
>>493282646
My first game that I made while learning the tools was my most successful and it took me the least amount of time. Every subsequent game took more time and was less successful.
I'm a mobiledev though so there's a bit more chaos to outcomes.
>>
>>493281040
More like if you are posting blurry low res inconsistent slop you must be using AI, and that's true.
>>
>>493283131
So much this. If you dont want to release trash slop you're gonna have to work 1-2 years full-time on a game nearly everyday at the very least. God help you if you're a wagecuck like I was for 8 years.
>>
the green words! the green words wont be read!
>>
>>493283210
No that's concord, idiot
>>
>>493283186
Not at all. He recognized and summed up and refuted cognitive dissonance in one word. I dare say they are based
>>
you do read the blacked out words thoughbeit
>>
>>493283215
>Same height as the goblina
Emasculation ritual
>>
>>493282280
i cant wait for you to 41% yourself and never post here again
>>
>>493283609
hes leaning into her
>>
>>493283714
He has gamer posture
>>
a new day, time to open unity and stare at the editor icon in my taskbar for hours before admitting to myself that I'm too lazy to actually get anything done and closing it
>>
>>493283131
i don't think the spic that made last thread pong game as his first slop game in a week will ralease it on steam.
the low-effort slop and shitty tutorial games you see on steam are actually projects that took more than 2 years to make for the devs, they are so brain damaged from putting that much effort and time on their first slop, they believe it's worth money. most recent example is marmoreal, that shit looks like it was slop made in 3 months but...
>>
>>493283714
Rivelino'd
>>
>>493283215
his shirt looks cozy as fuck, i want a shirt like that
>>
>>493283210
Yes but I have no idea why
>>493283691
???
>>
File: 1706993686941.png (1.57 MB, 1954x350)
1.57 MB
1.57 MB PNG
>>493283215
The good news is that the black stripes are fading which means amber washes it sometimes at least.
>>
>>493283568
>thoughbeit
>>
>>493283875
eric's or the other guy?
>>
>>493284249
that's my older fratello.
>>
are you a man of virtue or sin? (pride gives you lightning affinity)
>>
File: 1725257585607.jpg (469 KB, 1536x2048)
469 KB
469 KB JPG
>>493283714
Eric is actually 6'2'' he's just leaning into the guy so he looks shorter
>>
>>493284630
what the HEAD
>>
>>493284732
yeah, I mean, WHAT THE FUCK?!
>>
>>493282280
I'm doing this in my game too. How are we going to randomize the epic history of our realms in a way that people have to read it all to find the proper incantation to open the entrance to the correct tomb on the correct anniversary where the spell meteoric ultimato flare is hidden? I think just randomized names isn't enough they could just skip to the right pages.
>>
>>493284630
Eric-chan is cute. CUTE
>>
>>493282672
It can happen. I think it’s much harder. There are true geniuses out there that can pull magic from the Aether. It’s hard to reproduce. And it’s rare. But ya I respect the hell out of people who can throw a fun game together quick.
>>
>>493284578
Pride should give flame affinity because flamers
>>
File: 1666256303904271.jpg (41 KB, 460x443)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
I worked whole 30 minutes on my game for the past four weeks and all of it was today
>>
post a pic of your game character and I'll draw a pixel sprite of them
I have some time to burn whilst waiting for some friends
pic related is the player character from a game I stopped working on a few years back
>>
>>493285913
>>493285913
>More work done than the average anime posting no devs on here.

Well done friend wgmi.
>>
>>493283210
>>493282603
>>493284881
stop replying to the POE schizo.
(he clips POE and pretends he's a dev)
>>
>>493283215
>>493284630
why does everyone look like a fucking demon next time him
I would never wish to have a photo with him
>>
>>493269138
not every anime girl is a **** you retard
>>
Is 3d art as hard to get into as gamedev in terms of career? My understanding is that a CS degree is the same a toilet paper atm, what about a 3d art degree?
>>
>>493286547
because me and Eric are severely handsome men. It's just a mogging really.
>>
>>493284630
I'm a boy and I would breastfeed Eric. He's the perfect height for my nipples
>>
No excuse
https://www.humblebundle.com/software/learn-godot-43-complete-course-bundle-software
>>
>>493286550
you have to be 18 to post here
>>
File: bochi_crop.png (306 KB, 702x570)
306 KB
306 KB PNG
>>493286102
>>
>>493286674
why would I learn godont instead of using unreal?
tell me one (1) thing godont does better than unreal, and no, being "free as in beer" isn't enough.
>>
>>493286102
The guy in the pot is him
>>
>>493286638
portfolio is worth more. Just think for a second about what you'd be looking at when hiring a 3D artist.

There's not a government funded program that forces employers to hire college graduates.

No, you'd look at the 3D Artist's portfolio.

So many things can be solved in this space by 'just make game' 'just build' and 'learn as you go'
>>
File: english_francoist.png (9 KB, 480x320)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>493279308
>I still don't get who this game is for to warrant all this much effort and time put into it.
It's for me.
>>
>>493286828
Right, but is it like CS where you need both a portfolio AND a degree or is it different?
>>
File: 5363574635686.png (433 KB, 492x500)
433 KB
433 KB PNG
>>493286102
>my game is firstperson with no character
damn. cool spritework
>>
>>493286638
A very concerning side-effect of the degree mill is that dumb people keep thinking they are entitled to a high-paying job simply because they've done the bare minimum at school. No, no kind of degree will save you from mediocrity.
>>
>>493286796
Godot doesn't take 200 GBs and actually opens in one second when you click instead of like in Unreal where it takes 10 minutes.
>>
File: afewdaysprogress.webm (2.63 MB, 640x364)
2.63 MB
2.63 MB WEBM
been working on the game for the past few days, adding more stuff in the core game, fixing (a lot of) bugs, improving the UIs and added a character selection -> stage selection -> "game begins".

maybe i can try to make a demo for the upcoming demo day: can i post the game even the 7th or 8th september or does it have to be there as soon as the jam begins? i'm very new to this whole indie game dev thing
>>
>>493283215 would swipe left on >>493284630
in a nanosecond
>>
File: sad_tree.png (103 KB, 383x336)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
Every time I post anything from my game people think I'm the PoE schizo
>>
>>493286638
art degrees don't mean much of anything they only care about your portfolio. don't bother making a ton of stuff just to fill it out, just make one or two really solid pieces and you can start searching while making more. every company that thinks of hiring you will have you do a small work sample for them.
the only reason art schools can be good is that they often are directly in contact with companies and offer internships and such but it's not necessary
>>
>>493286976
I don't know, but degrees seem like a waste of time. Make a portfolio.
>>
>>493287413
why are you giving him bad advice? i bet you are a neet with no game, prove me wrong
>>
Reminder that "I've barely worked on my game at all" posts are psychological warfare by your competitors to trick you into lowering your guard and not working as hard. Don't fall for it! Your competition is working 12-16 hour days to finish their games and are trying to trick you into not doing the same.
>>
File: file.png (489 KB, 861x858)
489 KB
489 KB PNG
guys i made a meme
>>
>>493286638
>>493287364
oh, and most youtube tutorials and online teachers are actual numbskull retards because the people who know what they are doing are working and not teaching. art school can be better because you tend to get people who actually know their stuff. there are good resources to learn online without going to art school at all but you need to know where to find it and not just go with random retards on youtube
>>
>>493287130
you can upload it on sunday latest
>>
>>493287331
:( maybe put something distinctive in it that PoE would never.lolis
>>
>>493287130
poe2
>>
>>493287780
>guys i made a meme
>Its a repost from reddit
Everytime
>>
>>493287484
AskJeeves "Ultima Online"
>>
>>493288207
qrd?
>>
how do I make minigames which careful and thoughtful thougheverbeits would carefully enjoy?
>>
File: file.png (582 KB, 588x680)
582 KB
582 KB PNG
>>493288168
Huh?
>>
File: progress.png (574 KB, 1019x781)
574 KB
574 KB PNG
>>493271742
progress.
>>
>>493288565
in a Lucid dream you can actually have this meeting by the way. It's pretty useful.
>>
I just realized that stardew valley and undertale are rpg maker xp games.

because there's nothing in them that can't be made with rpg maker xp.
>>
Do not make eye contact
>>
File: file.png (668 KB, 1293x718)
668 KB
668 KB PNG
>>493288708
no you can't, i can't even see my hands without going into nightmare mode, no way i would try to see myself, i would probably see pic
>>
almost fucking replied
>>
>>493288853
(You)
>>
You guys ready for dd? I'm 98% done, I'll finish what I'm missing and then I'll spend all night testing
>>
>the porn Stardew has better art than the original
imagine what Eric could do with a proper pixel artist
>>
>>493289018
in all honesty, when I became Lucid I also got a sickly dread feeling of things being horribly wrong.

I saw a duplicate of my dog and I wanted to immediately leave the dream. So I get where you're coming from.
>>
>>493288853
To recreate Undertale or SDV in RPG Maker you'd have to tweak so much stuff it would be more effective to do it in a real engine. Not to shit on RPG Maker, I've seen some nice stuff done with it but it's inherently not meant to be used for fancy things.
>>
>>493289179
wipe is tomorrow, taking the day off
>>
File: doll.gif (773 B, 64x64)
773 B
773 B GIF
>>493286102
>>
File: 10.webm (1.5 MB, 1280x720)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB WEBM
How do I fix this?
>>
File: stardewclint.png (815 KB, 1920x1080)
815 KB
815 KB PNG
>>493289251
Stardew has sexy art style
>>
>>493289453
Taking this.
>>
>"How do I fix this?"
>Doesn't describe the problem
>>
>>493289552
whats this
>>
>>493289453
fix what?
>>
>>493289453
use godot like a real dev
>>
game you're amazing.
just the way you are.

you ever sing to your game like this?
>>
>>493289647
this big ole cock
>>
By the way, the game dev is the male in the relationship between Game dev and game. The game ( creation ) is the feminine.

It is a symbol of Creator and Creation.

Sky Father and Mother Earth.
>>
>>493289752
godont*
>>
game where you build a turing machine
>>
ugly lighting thoughever
>>
>>493290009
bigot
>>
Doing stuff in Unreal 5. So I have a Blueprint that is created and I want it to be able to be destroyed when hit by a bullet. My Character has a blue print for shooting a line trace and on hit it breaks and created a particle effect where it was hit. How do I make it check if it hit that specific blue print to delete it effectively?
>>
>>493288708
Anyone uave those dreams where you seeing from 2 perspectives at once?

Eg I'm viewing myself from the 3rd person (like a video game where you see the character you're controlling from a distance) while also seeing in 1st person view. At least that's what it felt like but the memories are too hazy and not sure if it was just switching between the two.
>>
Does my game really have to be good to sell? Aren't gamers too entitled lately?
>>
>>493290167
it has to be multiplayer first, and then sandbox survival or horror
>>
File: 6.png (140 KB, 344x289)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
>>493290056
already been done
>>
File: meme.jpg (63 KB, 775x752)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
i just made a meme.
R8
>>
>>493290167
>Does my game really have to be good to sell?
Not really
>>
>>493286102
Ehh neat but by the time I get on the pc and upload one you'd probably be ready to leave lel. Neat character tho, looks very good, outcompetes my level of skill.
>>
>>493289771
I whisper to it don't crash don't crash don't crash
>>
>>493290167
No, but a good game sells itself.
>>
>>493289752
Complaints about tunneling as if it were an engine specific problem are ludicrous. Do not people realize that tunneling is such a universal problem that it literally happens in real life? Even in real life, if a wall is thin enough and a particle small enough, the particle can get past the wall to the other side.
>>
>>493290326
Haha nice me me!
>>
>>493289453
What kind of physics engine registers a collision but doesn't run your portal code? I'm guessing there's some async going on between the physics engine and the main game loop.
>>
>>493286550
I know what loli facial proportions look like when I see them.
>>
>>493290167
concord sold 25,000 copies.
>>
I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna learn how to do networking and make easy successful multiplayer games.
>>
>>493290081
ZOMG LOOK AT ME I'M NOT SAYING "THOUGH" LIKE A NORMAL PERSON I'M SAYING MY FAVORITE MEME PHRASES THAT I LEARNED FROM MY FAVORITE WEBSITE!
>>
is it worth it to ask technical questions here or should I just be asking them in the 'cord
>>
>>493290539
>loli facial
lewd
>>
>>493236601
Pacific headhunters
Ghosts in the jungle
The purgatory brotherhood
Forgotten squad
>>
>>493290724
annoy them with your tunneling shit
i don't want to see it here no more
>>
>>493290689
that's right. don't like it? cry some more.
>>
How do we eradicate the pedophile problem present on the agg dagg?
>>
>>493290968
pedophile website
>>
green text without the arrow wont be read either
>>
>>493290724
if you ask here I will just ask AI and pretend I came up with the answer
>>
>>493290968
>goes to anonymous free speech forum
>gets mental breakdown about not being able to control the absolute chaos
ngmi mentally
>>
>>493290968
Working on it.
>>
>>493290968
educate them
>>
mama mia I love me a good plate of spaget
>>
Someone make a new thread before we get an "Eric at Pax" OP
>>
I am in fact, dumb for not seeing it was connected.
>>
File: 50.jpg (695 KB, 850x1289)
695 KB
695 KB JPG
I noticed that there's a lack of games with tall muscular amazonian lolis. What gives?
>>
>>493291420
>he doesn't know
>>
>>493290724
Error: Comment too long
Put anwser in picrelated
>>
>>493291463
>tall muscular children
yeah I wonder why there's not a ton of those
>>
>>493290486
the cake is a lie
>>
>>493291463
mirin that back
>>
>>493291840
Merry Christmas and happy holidays from Girlz 'n' Games!
>>
>>493291463
>Tall muscular lolis
So... men?
>>
>>493291561
Know what?
>>
>>493292238
>>493292238
>>493292238
>>
>>493292069
wtf I was a loli all along?!?!?!
>>
>>493289251
That is fucking ugly looks like AI slop too
>>
agdg is one of the worst game dev communities of all time. the ratio of shitters to talented devs is so high, its a miracle if you ever get a single useful comment here. to make it worse, the abundant shitters are all profoundly arrogant, desperate to be right even though they have no idea what theyre talking about. coming here is a nihilistic exercise and nothing more.
>>
you stupid cunts let the freak make the thread again
no wonder you cant make games lol
>>
>>493292387
It's bad. but are the 'better' communities discords and reddit?
>>
>>493292496
I'm too busy working on my game to be on guard to make threads man. That's the paradox of /vg/, it's always the shittiest members of the community that keep the thread going with endless bumps and new threads.
>>
>>493292387
Bro shut the fuck up. So sick of nobodies acting better than other people without earning it.
>>
>>493240891
What kind of animation? Hand-drawn? Then CSP.
Bone-based? Spine, Live2D, Blender or any 3d software.
>>
Does anyone know a good, not boring as shit or painfully slow paced or excruciatingly blisteringly fast paced, tutorial/free class on 3d modelling in blender?
>>
>>493292638
>rimworld
>it's not a game about eating ass
shame. false advertising
>>
>>493292303
>>493292204

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.