[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: dodtitlescreen.jpg (75 KB, 1280x720)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Why did valve let something like picrel die :(
>>
The server owners are killing it. If you do anything slightly out of line, the generation X admins will instantly ban you forever. New players don't last long.
>>
Had fun playing this back in the day. Loved the "push-and-pull" gameplay you'd get when both teams were evenly matched. Tried it out recently and couldn't find any good servers. Would definitely like to see a reboot on Source 2, but they'd probably ruin the aesthetic with garish skins.
>>
>>1171167
I guess they let Red Orchestra take the mantle.
But last I checked (10 years ago), the original had players during EU primetime, it's definitely more arcadey but fun like CS. DoD Source is a similar case, with more US playing it, and I appreciated the QoL stuff like going prone. Gameplay works great on a variety of maps, like running around with an MP on close-quarters, or sniping with a rifle on bigger ones.

Some of the most immersive gameplay I experienced was sniping on this big winter map like Simo Hayha.
>>
>>1171167
this but with day of infamy too from the insurgency devs. the most perfect WW2 game i ever played and than it just died lol
>>
I tried and it is hard to find servers that don't suck for each game. >>1171517 also made me uncomfortable. Every other server felt like a Christian gaming server with the rules.
>>
>>1171167
I used to be so good at priming grenades. Wish more games had skills mechancis like that.
>>
File: classique.gif (312 KB, 832x668)
312 KB
312 KB GIF
>>1171167
they turned it from a 2000s era more hardcore game with a community that added a lot of realism stuff to it into arcadey "ACCESSIBLE" bullshit.
>>1171517
also this, its a terrible game now, but i'd still go on and mess around for a ww2 fix but im now banned from every server because i probably said funny stuff when i was drunk. they litearlly pass around a ban list and just add people banned from other servers.

in any case what a stupid fucking game now.
if fucking day of infamy's devs would just release it as a free game it would probably shoot back up to top 10 on steam instantly.
>>
Just like CS:S I probably spent 300 hours over '07-'12 just playing on orange map servers; especially the one that was just a race to the top of a tower to hold the flag cap as long as possible. The floaty, fast, and lethal gunplay of Source ruined me for most modern FPS games
>>
>>1174757
https://youtu.be/2Lq3xroIvOg?si=8L6lEMyw9YJbMYqi

What a flashback
>>
when they decide to put good maps on, it can be pretty fun. the problem is that most servers have been running the same maps for decades instead of the hundreds of other decent other maps.
>>
>>1171517
>>1174351
this so fucking much, i enjoyed the shit out of goldsrc dod until i was on one of those clan servers one day and straight up saw a guy get banned for killing too much of the enemy team. i made a joke (like the second chat message i ever sent that day) about how I'm lucky because I'm not that good at the game that it'll never happen to me.

Not one second later I get a 40 year old woman named "babydoll" yelling in my ear about me talking shit the whole day when I haven't been on for more than like 20 minutes. I say i was just making a joke about my own skill being not good and i just get ” No, no. you don't get to criticize my mod actions you can fuck off."

The whole server was full of people that were talking fun trash on mic and all of them went deathly silent when she started. I said I'm not going to walk on eggshells just to not piss off some menopausal cunt and left, uninstalling the game immediately cuz I just know they're all going to ban me from other servers.

This was like 6 months ago at least and I'm still salty about it because it was one of my favorite games for years, and it's just going to fucking die because of malignant cunts that are never wrong. I had friends in that game, and that server.
>>
>>1171517
Not sure about the Gen X, but whoever these people are, are toxic af.

>>1176062
Yup! Same xp for me. Multiple servers I went to, only to hear the same level of weirdo rage.

I loved this game back in the day. I would love to play it again, but they need to get rid of 2 things..

1, cunts. 2, mods that allow the game to be fortnite trash with stupid ass added graphics and sounds that dont belong in the game.
>>
>>1176085
>>1176062
lol you ever play in that dod source server adult reality retirement plan or some shit? there is some crazy old lady called lady squirrel or something and i go in and own everyone and they accuse me of quickswitching and all this random bs that im not even doing and didn't even know makes you shoot faster in this game and then ban you just for owning them
>>
File: 1677390248612.webm (2.19 MB, 480x848)
2.19 MB
2.19 MB WEBM
>it's dod_tiger again
>>
>>1171167
I would still play this to this day.
>>
>>1171167
I don't like it. It feels like it perfectly embodied that late-90s early-00s sentiment of
>what do we do to try to make it feel more tactical and real than typical run-and-gun shooters
>by making the guns and moving around suck raw horse anus
Red Orchestra is tits. Day of Infamy is tits. Day of Defeat is just meh.
>>
>>1186016
I like how the guns move around when you shoot them, controlling that recoil is fun, certainly more fun than CS's gunplay
No gay ADS either
>>
I could try throwing up a server for either DoD or DoD:S. Seems like it works but I dunno how it'll perform with more people on it.
>>
>>1171517
I've never gotten permanently banned but once I started to get gud the admins were on my ass all the time. I stopped playing since it was the only decent server left in EU. Now it's just fastpath where half the players are bots.
>>
cause it's not fun
>>
>>1171517
>frequenting this one server for days, playing this fun source game i got for cheap that nobody plays
>swinging my shovel in the air as i come back from respawn
>oops there was someone behind me not visible but close enough to get hit
>accidentally TK him
>hear someone on the mic say "yeah, get him out of here"
>promptly banned
this was years ago but i will never forget that moment. stopped playing the game after that
>>
>>1197155
lmao
>>
>>1197155
>No shooting, jumping, meleeing, crouching, or turning in spawn.
>>
>>1171517
Painfully accurate.
Even years later of me leaving and me returning it was still the same ordeal.

Last time I played it went like this:
Team starting to lose and last flag in spawn. It one of those orange cube maps with no hills or slopes at spawn.
Obviously I don't want to lose so I start shooting at them... from spawn...
40 year old man starts to bitch for the rest of my time present about "no spawn killing" and that "wish we had more admins to deal with asshats like me".

As for the previous times years prior I had found one decent server by luck, but most of the admins and players had started to give up on the game and every other server was those private realism servers filled to the brim of those 40 year olds.
>>
watching bro team pill or old myg0t/goroncity videos are so cathartic seeing those faggots get fucked with
>>
how different is the source version compared to the gold source version?
>>
>>1198699
It doesn't sound like he was in the spawn. Also I can guarantee you they don't ban their own for that.
>>
I knew some of you would be crawling around this website. Let it be known that if you got canned from ODS or 109th or any of them, it's because you were doing dumb griefing stuff. You were killing team members or shooting your whole magazine in spawn or being sexist or cussing. You're all just lying because your all idiots that can't handle playing like adults so you shoot in spawn like a CHILD, or insult the decisions admins make like a CHILD, or you shoot into or from spawn like a CHILD that can't pull up his pants and play like the rest of us. Every last one of you babies whining that you got banned from all the servers should really look in the mirror back at yourself in the reflection to yourself and CONSIDER that maybe it was something you did that led to the permanent ban you got. Maybe you were a trouble maker or you were playing too sweaty when you know you shouldn't be. You shouldn't just assume people that have been playing this game for a while are just old b*tches that don't know that they're doing, because we do know what we're doing. If you can't handle playing like an adult, with adults, then you shouldn't be playing video games online in the first place. You should be playing something like Barbie or something more your speed.

P.S. We do share banlists and we all know when one crap stirrer moves from one server to another. We talk ;)
>>
File: 1699975837257808.png (373 KB, 650x576)
373 KB
373 KB PNG
>>1202980
>>
>>1202980
the worst part is you're probably right
>>
>>1203775
>i am entitled to acting like im on 4chan!
>this is a dedicated server for a dead game, these are my people!
>wtf they banned me
>>
>>1205307
Sometimes I drop by to watch you rot away on a server that strangles what little new blood comes through. As your numbers drop it keeps getting sadder and more pathetic.
>>
>>1202980
which one was the 18+ server with the lady artwork on the front?
>>
File: 1643766191111.jpg (221 KB, 1440x1080)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
>>1205641
Sounds like good gatekeeping to me.
>>
>>1207806
You could say those games are like containment boards but the reality is that they can't adapt to anything outside of their safe-space. When those servers die their gaming days are over.
>>
hope the game dies fuck the people that play it
>>
>>1172396
DOI is a spiritual successor to DoD 1.3, according to NWI.
It is a great game. It needs more polish but it is a great game.
>>
It's incredible how you faggots can do nothing but bitch and moan. You literally have the feature set and capabilities to run your own server(s) for this game. You faggots also constantly bitch about matchmaking being gay and private serves being based. But when the actual opportunity presents itself you'd rather take the opportunity to cry about trannies and 40 year old women hurting your feelings. Go take a real long hard look in the mirror. Fucking retards.
>>
>>1224456
Oh fuck the faggot admin was in thread and used the same turn of phrase as me in my bitching about retards post so now you're all gonna get stuck on that huh?
>>
>>1224130
>DOI is a spiritual successor to DoD 1.3, according to NWI.
Shame NWI went to shit, sold out and I think were shut down?
>>
>>1224456
Who wants to bother running a dead server for a dead game? The only servers that fill up regularly use bots. Private servers is literally all DoD has ever known so your shitty retort makes no sense.
>>
I spent an unhealthy amount of hours playing good ol' DoD, and even took part in multiple Battle For Europe campaigns, and it was a fucking blast ... up until the Source release, which I believe killed the game(s) or began its downfall, as communities split in half on what to focus on, and I didn't like the changes it brought, f.e. no assymmetrical class loadouts, rifle nades, spread patterns all kinds of fucked, etc. Also no paratrooper variants (that had the FG42) or British faction. So it soon faded into obscurity and people flocked to other new shiny games.
Also fun fact: The american voices in the DoD beta was done by the mods audioguy whisper-shouting the lines into the mic, while having a carpet over him, to cancel echo and to not piss off his mom for shouting.

>>1225013
they are still around, updating and maintaining Insurgency Sandstorm
>>
>>1224456
I got a server. I play it with my buddies. I didn't invite you because you're being abrasive and unlikeable.
>>
>>1171517
>>1174351
>>1176062
>>1176085
>>1176477
>>1192879
>>1197155
>>1199414
I get the frustration of retard admins, but why hasn't anyone actually started their own server then?
Its hard for me to care this much when you all couldve made your own server(s).

>>1202980
They're retards for not knowing how to make their own server(s) but you sound like an exceptional faggot as well.
>>
>>1171517
Not even out of line, even having a basic understanding of how the tick system works in source games makes them think you're fucking cheating because they're too retarded to learn anything about the game they're so obsessed with
>Be aware of peeker's advantage
>Use it to my advantage as a German rifleman by camping corners and peeking out real quick for easy kills
>Admin unironically starts saying how he's getting "suspicious" of me
>Couple of days later I kill him as I see him hiding behind a sandbox
>"Ok anon you better turn that shit off or you're getting banned, we've been watching you for a while and we know what's going on"
>>
>>1230560
So you can be another name on the list of empty servers? And if you somehow get people you now have to continually drop in to check whether someone is cheating and ruining the server. I'm not talking about subtle cheats either.
>>
>>1230573
Just knowing how to counter-strafe is enough to get you accused of being a cheater. Some of these people have been playing for over a decade but somehow they still don't grasp the basics.
>>
File: dods install.png (4 KB, 534x65)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>1230560
I've got DoD:S installed on my server and run it often enough. That still doesn't stop me and other people in my group from complaining that the servers at large aren't really fun to hop into anymore.
>>
>>1230701
hmm make sense
>>
the best thing to do was to exploit dod_cold and get up on the roofs out of bounds in the middle and go prone snipe everyone lmao. the boomers can't comprehend it most of the time despite playing the game for 25 years straight
>>
just got kicked out of alternate retirement plan for being good with a machine gun and making fun of the retarded female mod
>>
>>1243409
was it lady squirrel?
>>1176477
>>
>>1243438
yeah, i mocked her nasally inbred voice and she got mad and started smacking me around the map lol
>>
>>1243827
sounds like you got what you deserve chud
>>
>>1201631
I heard it's very different but I've only played the source version.
>>
>>1202980
is this bait, or are you this gay
>>
>>1171167
Did they ever put real effort into it after porting to the source engine?
>>
>>1260840
No, lol. It sucked in 2007 and still does.
>>
>>1202980
>or insult the decisions admins make like a CHILD
> or you were playing too sweaty when you know you shouldn't be.
>If you can't handle playing like an adult, with adults, then you shouldn't be playing video games online in the first place. You should be playing something like Barbie or something more your speed.
The cognitive dissonance to make this post... It has to be real.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.