[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

CTR online is a WIP multiplayer mod for Crash Team Racing.
Supports up to 8 players in widescreen at 60fps. Items are client side only.

Download here and follow the instructions
https://litter.catbox.moe/bu0l5x.zip
If the link doesn't work check the thread

If you get host wait for the room to fill before selecting a map.
If you try to connect and get sent back to the main menu a race is already in progress.
>>
/v/ room is US room 4 atm
>>
>>1311660
you should add in to NOT pick any battle maps and adventure maps as that crashes for some reason
>>
I've picked usa 4 but then it says trying to connect to usa1 and never does. I don't understand
>>
>>1311660
>litter
>>
>>1311670
that's when you're trying to connect to the lobby that's already full or in a race
>>
>>1311680
Isn't that supposed to instantly connect and disconnect you? It was doing something different for a little bit where it would try to connect for a few seconds
>>
>>1311677
Here's a split download on catbox
https://files.catbox.moe/fwxq8u.001
https://files.catbox.moe/2c8a3x.002
>>
USA 4
3/8
>>
>>1311680
will it eventually put me through if I leave the client window open?
>>
>>1311720
no you have to connect manually
the mod team are working on fixing this
>>
USA 4 open
3/8
>>
any open?
>>
Mods can't come soon enough
>>
>>1311870
usa 4
>>
>>1311870
Room 4 is the one we use, you’ll need to wait for races to finish before joining a room.
>>
File: wut.png (15 KB, 484x373)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>1311879
>>1311880
I always get this no matter what. Is there some setting I'm missing or do I actually have to live in the USA?
>>
>>1311882
This happened to me randomly, close everything.
Make sure you launch the game first, then the client when it asks.
>>
>>1311882
it's likely you're joining when the lobby is full or in a race
there's no region lock at all
>>
>>1311888
>>1311889
alright I'll keep trying, im using some anon's prepatched rom with preconfigured duckstation
>>
File: 1605133709525.png (503 KB, 483x788)
503 KB
503 KB PNG
oh my god how did I fall in the pit at the end kek
>>
why does the game freeze on the loading screen after finishing a race?
>>
>>1311899
Seems to be random. Sometimes it doesn’t come up for a long time.
>>
usa 4 open again 6/8
>>
>slide gaysseum
>>
Game froze right at the finish.
>>
Do glitch shortcuts work on this?
>>
>>1311925
lobby's open so you can get back in
>>1311933
yea
>>
>>1311933
Yes. But when they have more progress on the decomp, there may be an option to disable them.
>>
>both fucked up the fence shortcut at the same time
kek
>>
I love much more competitive CTR is than NF with the engine types
you'd think that with no items everyone would just go speed like in NF but CTR is so skill based that balanced, turn, and accel are all relevant and can contest with speed as speed is much harder to play
>>
>>1311970
They're both skill based and require you to learn a lot of techniques.
OG CTR is just more focused on speedghosts and glitch shortcut knowledge than Blue fire and that weird speedghost thing where you kill your reserves on purpose to bypass the speed limit.
>>
File: 1693331385971886.jpg (79 KB, 838x1024)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
after playing CTR non stop for like 5 or 6hrs (i lost track of time) I think I've run out of fuel for today
ggs anons
>>
>>1312018
GGs,
Whenever there’s another update.
>>
File: 1692784277647483.jpg (37 KB, 551x550)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>Blizzard Bluff
>Laps: 7
>>
gonna dump some webms, made 14
>>
File: we all fucked up.webm (3.92 MB, 1164x634)
3.92 MB
3.92 MB WEBM
>>
File: always go for it.webm (3.93 MB, 1158x628)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB WEBM
>>
File: fuck.webm (3.95 MB, 1158x628)
3.95 MB
3.95 MB WEBM
>>
File: oxide 1.webm (3.95 MB, 1154x630)
3.95 MB
3.95 MB WEBM
>>
File: Skyway 1.webm (3.96 MB, 1158x630)
3.96 MB
3.96 MB WEBM
>>
File: Skyway 2.webm (3.97 MB, 1158x630)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB WEBM
>>
File: labs choke.webm (3.87 MB, 1158x630)
3.87 MB
3.87 MB WEBM
>>
File: sewers 1.webm (3.94 MB, 1164x634)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB WEBM
>>
File: sewers 2.webm (3.94 MB, 1164x634)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB WEBM
>>
Any other professional shitposters been playing on the one (1) Aussie server?
>>
File: turn of shame.webm (3.93 MB, 1158x630)
3.93 MB
3.93 MB WEBM
>>
File: labs 1.webm (3.94 MB, 1154x630)
3.94 MB
3.94 MB WEBM
>>1312602
haven't tried that server yet, we were all on usa 4 yesterday
>>
File: crash grimacing.jpg (70 KB, 565x564)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
>muscle memory from NF kicks in and accidentally do a hop off of a USF pad
>>
this is fun but it's literally just time trial except you can see other ghosts in real time. there's no interaction between players and no way to communicate with them.
>>
Wonder if the proper PC port will have an option to disable the ultra shortcuts.
>>
>>1312597
>>1312606
Were you DNF from yesterday? I was Diddy.
You don’t need to hop when you have USF, makes it harder to steer. Only hop when you have to or it’s running out to keep the speed. Just don’t boost in any way.
>>
>>1312883 (Me)
Let me rephrase this.
Hoping does help with turning tighter, but most of the time you don’t need to hop with USF unless you need to hop over a hole or bump, or need to keep the speed from it running out.
In the final section of Labs, you just turn and drift to angle yourself, then after the finish line, you can either U-Turn around the turn, or try to angle more outside then hop turn to keep USF without falling off, whatever’s easier.
>>
Is this still going? I can't join the room for some reason
>>
>>1313724
a race is probably in progress
>>
>>1313763
Nah, I just went to check, they took down the USA servers for now, apparently they're moving 'em to a new one that'll double the room count to 16, guess we'll have to wait until then.
>>
https://litter.catbox.moe/lccxer.zip
(3 Days, someone else mirror after)
New Build.
There are now 16 USA Rooms, the client will now notify if there's an update, and on certain days, special rooms will have new modes.
Monday: Icy Tracks
Wednesday: Super Turbo Pads
Friday: Unlimited Masks
>>
>>1313995
https://litter.catbox.moe/ad75sn.rar
not this anon but here's another link with the already patched roms
>>
anyone on?
>>
File: file.jpg (248 KB, 2048x1459)
248 KB
248 KB JPG
playing with a couple people in USA room 5 if anyone wants to join
>>
Update.
New Client available in the Discord. Can’t share it right now.
No need to repatch, just replace Client.
Icy Tracks are canceled due to complaints, other events are still planned.
>>
>>1312883
oh yea I just do hopping there without even thinking about it as it helps me line up the angle better with making a rhythm
>>
The game is updated again but it appears that they're planning to create a ban list in the future.
>>
>>1314699
A banlist of what?
>>
>>1314709
Names containing no-no words probably
>>
Why does the lastest patch just boot to a black screen?
>>
>>1314766
New update came out recently.
>>
>>1314841
seriously starting to get sick of manually patching these god damn roms
anyways, here's a download, you already know what to do
https://litter.catbox.moe/028193.rar
>>
>>1314892
New update again and engine swapping is coming into online CTR.
>>
File: 1712983472937243.png (42 KB, 169x122)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>
>all USF pads
>>
The discord is apparently looking for offensive usernames in lobbys.
I’m assuming this will lead to bans or at best name checks so be careful.
Is this a thing in SRB2K? I’ve never played it but wonder for comparison.
>>
>>1316717
Srb2k servers are ran by various individuals.

Unless you host your own CTR server using the software, your playing on one of the tagged server owners servers.
>>
>>1316740
And I guess if you’re banned you can’t join the server again.
They’re already banning someone for cheating, so I guess just be careful with names.
>>
File: I'M SO FUCKING MAD.jpg (149 KB, 2160x1620)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>discord only patch
>all the litter box links doesn't work even with a vpn
it's over for me I have to join the faggotcord
>>
>>1316867
I'll try to put the latest one in a mega just for you
>>
>>1316874
that would be very nice thank you
>>
File: 17195725974594435.png (229 KB, 629x531)
229 KB
229 KB PNG
>>1316874 (me)
>>1316891
https://mega.nz/file/WHBiUBBB#FnSWG6aMg6z8umnhLvR9ye3UYmOOEpiTvEx-CDQ66kE
Boy, what I'd give for these faggot devs to wait at least a single week to release these
>>
>>1316896
I'm fine with them rapid firing these updates if it means their making progress to items working online.
>>
>>1316904
that's the thing though, most of these don't even show any signs of that happening any time soon, it's all just to increase the amount of rooms (which are rarely ever completely filled to begin with), not to mention most of these updates are so rushed they end up adding more problems to the game than the last
>>
So uuhhhh, what's the latest client version?
>>
>>1317855
This one still >>1316896
They're taking their sweet time with the next patch, surprisingly enough
>>
>>1311660
Wait, is CTR available for PC finally??
>>
>>1318288
Not yet, they're still working on the port itself, you can play online without items though
>>
>>1318298
Ah, I see. Thank you
>>
>>1317869
good things don't last for long
anyways, here's the next patch
https://mega.nz/file/XCJzECqS#YdLtrAoem3ONZWg6zBsa4iYn342BV19T134XhhSaKh8
>>
You can now download the patchs directly from the project’s website.
https://www.online-ctr.com/downloads/
You should be told in game when your version is outdated.

New events for next week:
Monday: Extra laps 30/60/90/120
Wednesday: Everybody PAL Penta Max Stats
Friday: Demo Mode Camera
>>
>>1320536
About fucking time
>>
When is the pc port getting more work done.
I'm more enthusiastic about it and the single player extensions that could be made then online.
>>
>>1311660
Woah!
>>
>>1312615
>this is fun but it's literally just time trial except you can see other ghosts in real time. there's no interaction between players and no way to communicate with them.

What, do you want to tea-bag them? This is no-weapons racing mode, and it's fine. These players are damn good and hard to beat. Weapons, no weapons, will be legitimate choices in the future game modes as will grand Prix and battle modes.
>>
File: 1690495193338895.jpg (20 KB, 486x382)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
>>1316717
>The discord is apparently looking for offensive usernames in lobbys
i knew it would devolve to this gaynigger shit immediately when i saw basically a "community project" tag on this
>>
File: 1702745323381901.gif (198 KB, 292x417)
198 KB
198 KB GIF
>>1336906
projects open source
Can make our own fork like the SRB2K guys if push comes to shove
>>
This is really cool, and I hope they continue this with other games. The PS1-N64 era had nice racers that would work well for multiplayer. And I think Crash Bash would be great with proper netplay. The wipeout 1 source code leaked, and then they made Phantom Edition, as an unofficial remaster and it's wild to see a PS1 game with perfect 3D and huge draw distance in HD. man I wish we got more of these. The PS1 is really the forgotten console and forgotten generation? Most of the games are skipped or they get full remakes. They should have released CTR as "Classic Edition" as is, then did Nitro Fueled as the remake.

A few games I think multiplayer would be grand for:

>Wipeout 3
>Destruction Derby 2-3
>Ridge Racer Type 4
>Gran Turismo 2
>Touge Max G
>>
A warning.
It seems some people in the discord are planning a patch that changes stats around, making Speed and Accel maxed.
This looks mandatory and will remove original stats from online.

I don’t like this idea cause it “makes the game feel better”.
Where “better” is now “we decided to change the game cause we don’t like the developers intended ideas”.
>>
>>1341217
>will remove original stats from online
I read that same thread and the people pushing said that they want it to be a toggle rather than a an overwrite.
>>
>>1341272
At least on the CTR-Tools Discord, where the main development of the decomp comes from, I’ve been reading stuff like:
“I think multiplayer ctr should be its own build anyways, vanilla ctr is not very multiplayer friendly…” and:
“The vast majority might not even notice the stats have changed”
These are more recent posts then what’s in the OnlineCTR discord thread.
These seem to imply them wanting to change online stats entirely.
>>
>>1341298 (Me)
They say this is to help the game competitive.
Everyone good already chooses Speed cause it’s the best, not only that, those people already know the unintended shortcuts.
I don’t think anyone who plays lower stats cares if Speed always wins, cause they choose the lower stats and know it’s not the best. It’s more people who don’t know the unintended shortcuts, who are the bigger majority of complaints.

Keep in mind that they decide to change the stats of all classes to be max Speed and Accel, but keep the different turning rates.
What’s stopping everyone from just using Balanced or Turn stat turning? Since who would want to pick a worse turning rate if there’s no drawbacks.
>>
>>1341298 (Me)
Then them saying: “vanilla CTR with dev intended items is utterly unplayable”
I can understand this if they just change the item rates, and not how items work entirely.

Most items match how other items in other kart racers work, specifically Mario Kart and Diddy Kong Racing, so I don’t see how it’s unbalanced, aside from ruining reserves for people in front of you, but that’s a flaw in how CTR works.
They would just need to adjust placement rates so you cant get Masks and Shields in first, and allow for better catching up items in lower positions, including Super Engine, which I’m okay with them changing if it could give higher speeds.

The only big issue is the Shield, which I can say is fine being removed if it has to be. Just cause it’s a free item blocker if you have it juiced, and doubles as a player stopper if people touch it.
>>
>>1341319
Clock being a extremely frequent roll is something that even Nitro Fueled felt had to change but I think a rate change wouldn't be needed if it was capped to show up two times maximum per race.
Shield and turbo item getting reworked would be something I'd be for.
>>
No items is perfectly fine in my opinion, it's a fucking race after all, you don't see people karting irl throwing banana peels at each other, it may feel like "multiplayer time trial" but that's because it is, racing is all about consistency and mindfulness, you competing in real time with somebody else is miles different than racing a line alone over and over again, it's a mentality thing and decision making of taking harder/safer lines when driving that makes racing fun irl and in item-less racing games.
They are fine in games like Mario Kart and Diddy Kong because those game have tons of catch-up mechanics, CTR's system ignores these so it's a perfectly fine argument that you can do away with them.
>>
>>1341337
Clock being less frequent makes sense.

>>1341346
The whole point I’m saying is they’re changing things about the game that don’t actually matter unless put in a situation with more gimmicks.

I understand No Items as an option, but when you’re changing major mechanics of the game without using all the features of the game as a base, it just seems misguided.

Why bother changing stats when items are still not in, and intended shortcuts aren’t optional.
Why not look into fixing unintended shortcuts since I’ve seen people say it’s possible.

I know that the main developer Niko, is working on a Nvidia drivers so he can’t work CTR for now, but it’s seems like he’s just letting the speedrunners take control.

https://github.com/CTR-tools/CTR-ModSDK/pull/153
This is the patch being planned. Notice how a bunch of changes are based around speedrunners,
>>
>>1341217
>>1341298
>>1341357
Unfortunately discordfags are usually speedrunners and have extreme opinions about things because they are so autistic, and they become the voice of whichever discord group project they barge into, making devs think that listening to them is actually a positive thing, it happened with games like Them's Fightin' Herds, Sonic Robo Blast Kart, and many others, they are all extremely divided or outright dead. I really hope these devs wise up and don't go overboard trying to appease to this niche believing they are the main users.
>>
The only changes that need to be made for CTR are:
>Patch out unintended skips because they skip too much of the track and 1st can just put an item to block other players from doing them
>Change Clock to work like the POW Block from MKWii. A skill based item that only fucks you over if you mistime it as that better fits CTR design instead of the instant fuck you out of nowhere and you also get a proper warning for when the Clock happens
>Warp Orb could work kind of like SRB2K's SPB so 1st has a decent chance to outrun it if they have good lines which better fits CTR having a skill based design in how it's always the player's responsibility to generate and maintain speed. NF didn't need a Warp Orb change because the base speed of that game is faster than CTR so players could already go faster than the Warp Orb to dodge it on Blue Fire tracks which was fun for lots of players
>Make a No Items Toggle for lobbies which also gives everyone 10 wumpas too as default
>Rebalance item rolls as ND only designed them for 4 players
>Rework how items affect reserves. e.g. getting hit by an item doesn't kill all reserves but only a % of your current reserve total when hit. Red beaker is too OP

Balanced and Turn are flawed in their core design to always be slower than Accel and Speed on most tracks but even in vanilla Turn can be faster on tracks like CC. Even Perfect engine can be slower than Speed on some tracks in TT

There's no point forcing the changing of engine stats when you don't even have items implemented in the game. No shit most people will pick Speed or Accel in No Items mode but if you make all the engines have the same speed and accel value then engine choice becomes meaningless as every track will just have the one optimal engine choice based on turn radius and everyone will mindlessly pick that even when items are implemented.
That also doesn't even fix the engine problem because Speed will still be the best for most tracks because of it's drift angles
>>
>>1341319
>“vanilla CTR with dev intended items is utterly unplayable”
discord niggery at its finest. they just can leave anything alone it needs to be their retarded vision. the worse thing however theres dipshits even itt who will agree with what theyre doing. this isnt going to pan out well.
>>
File: 323232342343234234234234.png (681 KB, 1060x1032)
681 KB
681 KB PNG
>leave the game for a week
>the second i come back, i see speedrunning trannies pushing for core mechanics in the game to be heavily altered to fit their stupid fucking ideas
guess it was just a matter of time 'til this shit completely lost its appeal for me, fucking insane how the sole idea of changing class stats at all is even being considered over getting rid of the bullshit glitched shortcuts, but i guess that's what happens when you shove online into a game that has been broken to hell and back for more than 20 years
>>
>>1341899
I recall people saying that their working on code to remove giga skips but the main dev still needs to look over it and push it.
>>
They finally added weapons to the game.
>>
Anyone verify if the stats are indeed changed?
Nothing about it in the change log, but I see a server host saying it is in.
>>
>>1346109
Did they?
I'd be up for some races if so.
>>
File: WOAH.png (365 KB, 692x765)
365 KB
365 KB PNG
>>1346109
downloading now
>>
>>1346213
Yes, but there's no rockets.
>>
>>1346288
Warp Orb, Mask, and Clocks work so its possible to make a comeback against the giga time trialfags now.
>>
>>1346109
Just heard about this, where's everyone?
>>
First race, and the game crashed, great.
>>
>>1346775
I played a lot yesterday and it was pretty fun.

The balance change made it so that everyone has the same speed and acceleration so turning is what differentiates characters now.
Weapons made comebacks possible although rockets not working unless your really close is a bit lame.
The only thing I would say is bad is that in 2-3 person lobbys the item odds aren't changed so its pretty easy to hit someone once and then lead for the rest of the race.
>>
>>1346288
rockets are just inconsistent. same with bombs. prob to do with the explosion. also crashing kinda often but its still fun
>>
New Build.

Weapons removed as it was just a test.
Stat are forcibly changed.
>>
File: crash-sad[1].gif (254 KB, 220x220)
254 KB
254 KB GIF
>>1348313
>Weapons removed as it was just a test.
>>
So what's the latest build? I downloaded from the website but every single server and room have 0 players, that can't be right.
>>
File: 1716058037069012.jpg (175 KB, 808x720)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
Items were genuinely fun and I hope they come back.
Although I read the dev post that it was rather difficult to get them synched so it probably won't be any time soon.
>>
>>1349656
on the bright side all the testing happening now will make the pc port work great (hopefully)
>>
Next Item test soon fellow Stalkers.

Trust the Plan.
>>
>>1341346
>it's a fucking race after all, you don't see people karting irl throwing banana peels at each other
what type of stupid fucking argument is this? hurr durr my realism in a game where a fucking bandicoot drives a car
>>
I don't want some modders' gay fan-fiction, but I can say the game isn't really balanced around 8 players because you can see like 2-3 orbs at any time hitting the first place kart.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.