[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: first_psobbimg.jpg (43 KB, 480x384)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Any recommendations for older MMOs that still have a relatively active community? Could be through official or private servers.

Phantasy Star Online is a good example of what I'm looking for (PSOBB).

Some other games I like: FFXI, Lineage 1 and 2, Diablo 1 and 2.

I was going to try MU online because the official servers are still up, but everyone says it's pay to win and not very fun at this point. I've heard Lineage 1 and 2 private servers are mostly dead, but not sure if that's true.
>>
Eve online?
>>
I liked city of heroes. it's a pre-WoW MMO. the source code was leaked so the private servers are good instead of buggy like a lot of dead mmos that had to remake things
>>
HorizonXI is a very active "era+" private server for FFXI, I've enjoyed it a lot so far and some of the changes they did to jobs etc made it a more fun experience.
No dualboxing allowed so you get to party with actual people when exping
>>
>>1331733
Not to cross polinate, but if you're looking for old and odd MMO's that don't immediately come to mind consider looking at the two lists on the bizzare MMOdventure thread here on /vm/, they have a lot of them to sift through.

Only ones that come to my mind is like... Tibia. That's so old school it's ultima inspired
>>
>>1331733
Ragnarok Online private servers

Maybe PokeMMO also fits what you're looking for, although the MMO itself is recent
>>
File: 1635691871179.webm (2.73 MB, 1280x720)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB WEBM
>>1331733
play Tree of Savior
>>
>>1331733
>Phantasy Star Online is a good example of what I'm looking for (PSOBB).
One of very close games i know is https://www.tomoshibi.net/guide/rolo/
It's in jap moon runes only, and you'll have to jump through some hoops to be able to use it as an english player
>>
>>1331733
>PSO
>MMO
It was a MO, but not massive in any regard. That's like saying Dragon Ball Xenoverse is an MMO because it has a lobby with a lot of people in it.
>>
>>1333461
most of those games look like trash
>>
>>1335014
yeah the mmodventure thing is a neat idea but they only pick the most garbage fucking MMOs to actually play, there's a reason those games are dead and no one plays them
>>
EQ2 is launching a true classic launch era server tomorrow. You gotta sub to access it though.
>>
>>1331733
Monsters and Memories playtest at the end of the month
>>
>>1335014
Most of them are, but maybe you can find some decent slop in there.
What you're asking for is also 98% slop.
>>
PSO isn't an MMO
>>
>>1332227
>>1333251
Seconding these
>>
File: PVP Gutted 2.gif (1.26 MB, 1443x3095)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB GIF
>>1334427
Tree of Savior has relaunched about 5 times because they replaced PVP with cash shop HUD popups
>>
>>1331733
鋼鉄戦記C21
>inb4 not a mmo
Not after 20 years, the only downside is that you need to know 日本語 to enjoy it
Also Mabinogi, there are a few private servers like Mabiclassic, Auranogi and MabiPro doing the rounds
>>
>>1335624
Shit was cash!
Hope they don't wait another 6 months for the next one.
>>
>>1331733
Somebody recently made a romhack for PSO, you probably wanna try it out
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1181QnIehYV_uH1X1kSeFprhhxUxw-9z9eQzeOX5NgGE/edit?gid=627246566#gid=627246566
>>
>>1349265
MabiClassic is no longer around unfortunately, but MabiPro and Auranogi still are, with small, but active communities.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.