[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vm/ - Video Games/Multiplayer

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Screenshot_15.png (1.7 MB, 796x801)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB PNG
This is a /vm/ server for my own personal fork of Adventurers of Akalabeth by Xork, which is a fork of Ruins & Riches (originally known as Odyssey) by Djeryv. The server has been running since March and has been enjoyed by several anons. This is far from a typical UO server because over the course of a decade Djeryv modified the game into an old school sandbox adventure experience designed for solo or small party play. It focuses heavily on exploration with new world maps filled with towns and dungeons, requiring players to find clues to navigate between worlds. The game lacks a central storyline, instead offering random quests and contracts from town quest boards, with hints provided by reading NPC dialogue. There is no wiki and information is much harder to come by than modern gamers are used to. Skills have been rebalanced for better utility, and crafters can open shops and receive contracts if they acquire a house. Resurrecting without paying a tribute reduces skill points, and dungeons are filled with brutal traps and dangerous portals. There's a lot of funny builds you can try out, depending on your character origin you can also get higher skill caps to expand possibilities.

To play, you can download the client here: https://mega.nz/file/uBZnSAbJ#_CTS4SqJ3j1YEbXGZ4kQQZrC84971d02QugFJc-98_U
Server IP (already in settings.json): 15.204.209.63
This includes TazUO (a fork of ClassicUO) and needed art files specific to this server, as well as Xork's player guide.

Settings:
>stat gain every 10min
>vendors always buy rare items
>need LOS to see mobs
>player corpse bones persist for a year
>no hunger/thirst inside banks, inns or houses
>vendors have a chance to sell crafting resources (recently rebalanced to make higher tier items much more rare and expensive)
>can't sell bolts of cloth/balls of yarn to vendors
>all monster races start as evil
>spell damage increase cap 150%
>lower reagent cost cap 75%
>>
File: Screenshot_16.png (96 KB, 607x369)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
Changes:
>strange portals don't have a return portal, as originally intended by Djeryv
>messages in a bottle can only be obtained from fishing, krakens, and leviathans
>quiver "damage modifier" property changed to a flat 10% except the Quiver of Rage which gets 15% (it had a miscalculation which made high DM quivers OP)
>town guards aren't immortal gods (they're still really tough)
>the chance for mobs to dispel your summons was lowered from a cap of 75% to 50%
>stealth detection formula reworked to better reward skill point investment
>necro guild rings were meant to give +10 Alchemy. now they do.
>challenging/hard/deadly dungeons are harder
>introduced cooldown for creatures that cast poisons using magic. you will see more varied spell use by caster mobs now.

Soulbound:
Human characters can select THE CHARIOT at the Gypsy to play a soulbound character, which is permadeath with a twist. When you die your gear, stats and skills are lost, as well as your bank and houses. Your body rises as one of the undead and after resurrecting you respawn in a new body in a random location with a random template (Knight, Warrior, Bard etc) that is a bit better than a typical starting character. Soulbound characters don't get any benefit from item bonuses except for resists. Instead, you accumulate "soulforce" by killing mobs that award you fame, which can be used to permanently purchase item bonuses. They will be tied to the "Your Soul" item, which you double click to open the gump that allows you to spend soulforce. You will also have to spend soulforce to increase your soul's level to increase its capacity for these bonuses. Unspent soulforce and the "Your Soul" item follow you through death and re...possession.
>>
neat. where is the server located?
>>
>>1363385
Virginia.
>>
File: 1710912851201348.jpg (133 KB, 544x503)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>There are many other different elements that you will have to discover on your own. If you enjoyed tales of Conan or Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. If you played older D&D games where characters were in constant danger. If you like older computer role-playing games and want to play something where you simply exist in a fantasy world, then go ahead and give this a try. It was designed to play many different types of character classes, instead of the common ones most people play. You can be a very effective adventurer being a necromancer, alchemist, bard, thief, or assassin. You will get the most out of this game if you try different professions and see how you can navigate the dangers with them. There are a ton of things to do so you just need to pick a path and go as the only goal of the game is what you set for yourself.
t. Djeryv

https://drive.google.com/file/d/195huGOohMHEOCZbVZG3O0fWRWiF2dH9X/view
>>
How difficult would it be to create custom character skins or edit the current ones?
never looked into it but was curious
>>
>>1363952
Hardest part probably is the graphical part. Ultima reads sprite sheets without any issues.
>>
>>1363952
Djeryv added a ton of sprites, including playable monster races, although equipment doesn't display on them.
>>
>>1364184
The monster races aren't actual edits of the character model. They're essentially just disguise items that hold the racial bonuses.
>>
>>1363167
>>introduced cooldown for creatures that cast poisons using magic. you will see more varied spell use by caster mobs now.
bro what? no more poison spam?
>>
>>1364356
No more. The great thing is it doesn't necessarily make those mobs easier, since now you'll see them use very effective spells they rarely used before. It really makes the combat feel fresh.
>>
>>1364508
based
>>
Here's a big hint for new Odyssey players that didnt fully sink in with me for a while: TALK to as many NPCs as you can stomach, particularly if you're stuck on a quest. You'll learn clues (that may or may not be true) to the location of dungeons, magic items and even entirely new lands. Also, random townsfolk can provide a service like free repair and lockpicking, as well as have special items for sale, but you'll never know unless you TALK to them.
>>
>>1365122
How do I talk to them? is it like everquest where I need to type out "Have you heard of the high elves?" and they reply ?
>>
>>1365672
No, you just click the TALK option in the context menu. You can't request specific information.
>>
>>1365122
They also talk about that sort of stuff in the background, like in the cities and taverns, some of it is gibberish, some of it is valuable information.
>>
Where can I find/download the latest updates of this server?
>>
>>1365964
The OP. If you were playing before the new thread and you already had the server gumpart and art files you're still good. For the thread I just packaged them with the latest TazUO. Do you just want those art files?
>>
>>1365976
No, not the client, I mean in case I wanna host
>>
>>1365979
AoA: https://xorkstower.blogspot.com/?m=1
Base RnR: https://ruinsandriches.neocities.org/
>>
I want to play with serious players not former WoW and XIV sissies. Eve Online tolerable.
>>
>>1366011
Thank you mate
>>
I made a soulbound character yesterday. I'll keep updating my blog here. Just a reminder, if you don't play soulbound, you're a giga faggot.
>>
>>1366487
spoonfeed me about soulbound and why should play this server or UO in 2024?
>>
>>1366490
>spoonfeed me about soulbound and why should play this server or UO in 2024?
soulbound is a gamemode where you are basically a soul that jumps from body to body, that's a hardcore mode where your character has random skills, and you get soulforce by killing enemies. As a soulbound, the only way you have to get armor is from soulforce. Armor doesn't give you shit. It's a hardcore mode for hardcore people.
As for why you should play this in 2024? Well, every single mmoRPG post 2012 sucks cock, there is not a single MMORPG that i would enjoy to play on this year. Hmmm... you also can say nigger without having the whole reddit ghetto to ban and dox you.
>>
>>1366487
Based. No one has made a serious attempt at soulbound yet. Lemme know of any bugs or issues you have.
>>
>>1366492
soulbound is actually easier than vanilla
and neither are remotely difficult
>>
>>1366773
>soulbound is actually easier than vanilla
how?
>>
>>1366774
you get to pick your bonuses so you are easily get all of the things important to your character instead of RNGing into them
you don't have to worry about any of the countless things that delete your equipment because none of your power comes from it
>>
>>1366784
>you don't have to worry about any of the countless things that delete your equipment
fair. What would you propose to make the soulbound path harder? a soul power penalty on death?
>>
File: image-1.png (31 KB, 254x156)
31 KB
31 KB PNG
>>1366784
You know what's really important to your character? Skills and stats, which you lose on death. Also, acquiring soulforce becomes harder the more you have. See pic related.
>>1366796
>soul power penalty on death?
This already exists. Once you reach a certain level of power you have a chance to lose bonuses on death.
>>
>>1366807
i know exactly how it works, doesn't change what I said in the slightest
>>
>>1366812
Except that you're wrong. Soulbound is much harder.
>>
>>1366816
>guy that doesn't know anything about the game and makes random changes
>somehow knows more than the person that has played for years and actually done basically everything in the game multiple times
retard
>>
>>1366819
Yeah, I do. You're wrong.
>>
File: file.png (30 KB, 333x312)
30 KB
30 KB PNG
>>1366827
>>
>>1366812
Yeah faggot, now answer, how would you make it harder?
>>
>>1366894
He's talking out of his ass. I've actually played SB on Adventures and it is quite challenging and that's with some crutches you don't get here.
>>
>>1366894
you haven't paid my consulting fee
>>
>>1366819
>>guy that doesn't know anything about the game and makes random changes
idk his changes seem p pointed and good. archers were retarded because of OP quivers and anyone could save up for a boat and pretty quickly have a retarded amount of artifacts.
>>
>>1367069
>idk his changes seem p pointed and good.
This. Most changes made the game more interesting to play. I hate meta gamers so much.
>>
File: 1721280096333851.jpg (24 KB, 290x290)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
ill try this, what are the peak hours usually? and is there a forum/irc/discord chat group for this server?
>>
>>1367290
>what are the peak hours usually?
There are none.
>and is there a forum/irc/discord chat group for this server?
faggot.
>>
>>1367290
>what are the peak hours usually?
Like that anon said, there really aren't any. We only have a few active players rn, but that's fine because Djeryv designed this primarily as a single player game that can be played with a group of friends on the same server. To accommodate such extremely low pop servers, there are global shared instances for the bank, inns/taverns, crafter basements and some guild halls. If you're in the Underworld and someone else is in Britain, you can both enter your nearest bank and be in the same bank together.
It's best to think of this server as more of a shared single player experience than as an MMO. Houses are permanent, player corpse bones persist for a year, the Town Crier reports the deeds and gossip regarding other players, so you get some flavor in addition to what the game itself has to offer. For me, it's pretty cool to be exploring a dungeon and see the bones of a player I've never even heard of, who probably died there months ago. And when there are other players around, well that's just gravy. Plus you can use the thread to ask for help, trade and petition crafters.
>is there a forum/irc/discord chat group for this server?
No and there never will be. The thread is enough out of game communication.
>>
File: 1585559142954.jpg (55 KB, 500x387)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
aint taking my rubies death to all guild masters
Burn all empty tree strumps
N3ver4get
>>
Thread theme https://youtu.be/Ci3qirYbrQA?t=587&si=YAWglS44ZVWTi61x
>>
I can sell the body parts and bones for 152 again.
>>
File: confetti_PNG87081.png (765 KB, 1219x1241)
765 KB
765 KB PNG
>>1368998
>>
Invasion update, when?
>>
>>1369136
Not for a while.
>>
File: Screenshot_18.png (1.88 MB, 1917x1014)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB PNG
Post your UI
>>
>>1370107
Holyshit that's clean, can you share? please sir, do the needful.
>>
>>1370117
If you're using TazUO (you should be), you can get the gumps here: https://github.com/NewYears1978/Fiddle-Me-This
>>
It looks like shit in my laptop screen.
>>
>>1370107
Sadly, some stats in the stat gump don't show correctly.
>>
I played on outlands as my first experience with the game and within seconds of stepping out of the city I got killed and robbed of the few items I had. Wasn't very fun. Any other populated servers out there?
>>
File: Screenshot_19.png (158 KB, 250x358)
158 KB
158 KB PNG
>>1370176
The physical and magical columns don't work because the TazUO XMLGump code is using the servuo identifiers for those properties. So I trimmed it to remove the stuff that doesn't work.
https://mega.nz/file/qE5h1DTI#r3bCr92QZ9DXVhWBajroYoOI9RKWA5oShCzBawiuWs0
The png goes in ExternalImages\gumps and the xml goes in Data\XmlGumps
>>
>>1370208
>Wasn't very fun. Any other populated servers out there?
No idea, AoA (This server) is a completely different game with a single player feeling to it.
>>
File: Screenshot_20.png (98 KB, 256x275)
98 KB
98 KB PNG
Finding that first artifact feels so good.
>>
>>1370208
I think it's funny the retards who play today are the lamest boomers around thinking jank shitter wizard pvp is what the game was about while macroing multiple characters.
I played as a kid back in the day when macros weren't known among normal players and it was all about the adventure, my first GM was from simply playing the game and it was in swordsmanship.
That's how I like to remember it, those early years up to about 2001, anything after that and celebrated today is just faggot boomers who never grew up or got gud at actual skill based games.
>>
>>1371251
>That's how I like to remember it, those early years up to about 2001, anything after that and celebrated today is just faggot boomers who never grew up or got gud at actual skill based games.
Agree, meta players are cancer.
>>
Fixed a bug from the AoA Blacksmith update that added a double avoidance check for traps, even completely breaking some of them (notably stone face traps).
>>
So I was noticing some random stuttering that was really annoying and it turns out Razor can cause that. Switched to Classic Assist and no more stuttering.
>>
I think the next thing I'm going to do is clean up some of the grammar in the NPC dialogue, particularly the Town Crier. It's driving me nuts.
>>
File: Screenshot_21.png (454 KB, 1032x772)
454 KB
454 KB PNG
Damn Was, you died a lot in the pyramid.
>>
>>1373262
Those nigger spiders have lethal poison on hit.
>>
>>1373262
Yes, the spiders were annoying, but i also died because i just had to attack that summoner near the pentagram.
>>
>>1373499
>Made a fugitive to roleplay as a nigger.
>No one plays so i can't just nigg anyone.
I can play, finally, now i can just raid cities, right, admin?
>>
>>1373516
Yep, you can try.
>>
File: Screenshot_24.png (632 KB, 905x606)
632 KB
632 KB PNG
Aw yeah nigga we movin on up. I was about to do the typical hobo in a tent start, but a giant hawk that I killed to test out a new weapon dropped a grand treasure chest tmap. Got me a 130 point artifact maul and enough gold for a proper house.
>>
>>1370107
Is there a way to change the font on the bottom of the paper doll? Installed the UI pack and the font is black and really hard to see.
>>
>>1374090
On the TazUO discord search for fonts.mul and download it from the post that comes up.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.