[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images-23.jpg (56 KB, 554x554)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
People talk about The Great Split being bad or good, but nobody talks about the fact that since Gen3, mixed attackers suffered a lot.

Gen 1-2:
>You can max out all of your stats
>No Pokemon has a nature
>You can have room for special/physical attacks regardless if you were supposed to be exclusive a special or physical attacker
>You can generally switch in more safely into anything

Not saying I hate the concept of Natures but kinda wish this old system could comeback

>Inb4 Smogon is le cringe
This is not about Smogon, I just pick the first image I found for this example
>>
>>55785660
I've grown to like it as I think having STAB for a type felt more special but it resulted in some examples of pokemon that had to rely on filler shit since one or both of their types used what would be a comically bad attack stat.
>>
>>55787531
I think this was the case for medicham who had to rely on shadow ball to hit ghost types and neutrally hurt poison. Still some pokemon had enough power to make use of its other stat or typing, such as tyranitar and metagross
>>
>>55787531
I always thought they should have just boosted normal type to compensate, it would also give normal a neat gimmick
>>
File: 1685023295105272.jpg (116 KB, 850x479)
116 KB
116 KB JPG
EVs are the most cancerous mechanic to ever be added to pokemon
IVs would be the most cancerous mechanic to ever be added but they've existed in some form since gen 1. but gen 3's changes made them worse.
natures are better than IVs but having both in the same game is retarded.
the series has spent the last 20 years adding QoL to fix the mess that gen 3 made.
>>
>>55787914
EVs and IVs are good mechanics from an RPG perspective. I like them. I like each Pokémon being unique.

But comptrannies will be comptrannies, I suppose. GF could easily have simply made it so that the "competitive" place automatically sets your IVs to 31 across the board, same way it sets your level automatically to 50.
>>
>>55787914
>The series has spent the last 20 years adding QoL to fix the mess that gen 3 made.
I disagree, if GF wanted, they could have added all the necessary QoL features for a easier acces to competitive pokemon since the time they were aware that people played their game competitively (which I guess it was precisely in Gen 3).
EVs I believe are necessary because you can design your own playstyle, but IVs are just being lucky with the genetics of your poke. Nobody would have to breed for 0 Spe IVs for Trick Room if all pokemon had their natural Base Stats established and you just decided which stat you can increase by EV investing
>>
File: 1695183202896652.jpg (272 KB, 2048x1536)
272 KB
272 KB JPG
>>55787940
>EVs and IVs are good mechanics from an RPG perspective.
they make each pokemon "unique" in a purely nominal sense because players will never know they exist or how to manipulate them unless they're told by someone else or look up a guide, and the process for influencing them is so mind-numbingly tedious that most won't bother. which is a good call because it doesn't matter.
so you have a mechanic that does nothing for casual players and is so frustrating for hardcore players that even at the highest levels you have people genning. that's a shit mechanic if i've ever seen one.
>>
>>55785660
Tyranitar looks derpy as hell in GSC
>>
>>55787959
Just because I wasn't manipulating them doesn't mean I don't enjoy their existence. It was nice knowing my nidoking was unique to me, made it more immersive. And now that I do know about them it's even more fun because I can look at the stats and try different wacky strats. Just the other day I trained a bulky Ninetales in a nuzlocke because it had high defence, the thing survived and killed a trained garchomp with earthquake, it was great.
>>
>>55787940
>my Nidoking is unique because its attack and defense stats are a couple points higher or lower than my friend's Nidoking
Fuckin lol. There are better ways to make a mon different from others of the same species. You could have slight variations in the shades of their colors, more size differences and facial expressions for the different natures or characteristics, assuming the latter would also be random instead of tied to IVs.
>>
>>55785660
Mixed attackers could be helped if some attacks (like the widely common coverage moves like punches). were reworked to factor in both Physical and Special Attack, with some abilities like Iron Fist, making is so that Pokemon only use their highest attacking stat when using certain types of moves.

Also, the EV system could be reworked to reward more balanced EV spreads. For example, the first 200 EV points stats have more "weight' than then the final 52.
>>
>>55785660
Sure mixed mons suffer in Gen 3 but it really was the split that killed them. Why run wing attack on your Charizard, when you could just run air slash which uses your higher attacking stat. Which only makes EVs more boring because you don't have to budget between your attacking stats anymore.
>>
>>55787914
Yo do know EVs were way more cancerous pre gen 3, right?
>>
>>You can max out all of your stats
this is the same thing as not having them at all
>>
>>55792215
It's not exactly the same, it decreases the difference between high stats and low stats a bit.
>>
>>55791845
I don't know, sometimes you get a poke on who may run a weird coverage option for STAB or utility. Pursuit has a lot of presence in OU for instance despite the only dark time in ranked is Tyranitar, a physical attacker, still will run pursuit just because punishing a switch out is extremely valuable.
>>
>>55791919
what's cancerous is having to faint the same specific pokemon over and over again to raise invisible stats and if you mess up even once you have to jump through hoops to correct it
also there's no way of knowing which pokemon give which stats so you'd better have a guide handy

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.