[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>introduce the concept of humanoids from alternate universes, and give them pretty cool designs
>only four of them appear in the game, their home dimension is just an empty hallway devoid of any other NPC
>they're sloppily shoehorned into the story and introduce like a dozen different plot holes that weren't in the base version
>never appear in the anime or in Masters

What went wrong?
>>
>>55787425
Everything went wrong but mainly everyone was pissed off at USUM existence which was fair
>>
>>55787425
everything will be fixed in super duper mega ultra sun/moon
>>
>>55787425
>What went wrong?
Ultra Beasts were fucking retarded dex bloat and a terrible idea from the start, that's what.
>>
>>55787425
I'll never understand why they made these games, sun and moon were great, why repeat it again but with a ton of nonsense shoved in, the mantine surf was cool i guess
>>
The story is better than SM so I'll take it.
>>
>that one guy on earth that refused to abandon guzzlord after humans destroyed the planet
>those guys in the ultra forest that spend their days studying the blade

Fug
>>
who the fuck is that
>>
>>55787425
>Soliera's hips
>>
>>55787425
Zossie was too cute and bwue. They had to retcon her or she'd outshine too many of the "more important" characters
>>
>>55787445
It's odd since USUM has more changes from base S&M than fan favorites Crystal, Emerald, or Platinum had from their base versions.
>>
>>55787477
it's amazing how much ultra beasts don't at all fit into alola. and i don't mean in the sense that they're aliens and they're supposed to be out of place, i mean they have fuckall to do with anything else in the setting. they could've done this in any region with little alteration. fuck, they should've done this in a southwest america region.
>>
>>55787729
It wasn't really worth losing the best version of Lusamine and this music.
https://youtu.be/ZRP7tCvg-Og?si=QAUIl6brgawG0sEl
>>
>>55787829
I think it's because Alola is presented as a paradise where its worse criminals are loser elementary school dropouts who's main crime is being slightly annoying.
So then you drop hell alien monsters on them by the powerful foreign entity.
>>
>>55787822
USUM is intended for an audience that has already played SM, and a lot of its changes can only be appreciated with the knowledge of how it differs from the base versions, but at the same time it doesn't change enough to justify playing both SM and USUM and quite a few changes it makes are downgrades.
>>55787843
well that doesn't work because they barely show up
a pokemon game about stopping a fucking alien invasion sounds like the coolest shit ever. instead we got the lillie show.
>>
Yes we know Game Freak is incompetent and cannot even utilize their characters properly in the setting they designed them for
>>
>>55787729
>The story is better than SM
lol
lmao even

>in both versions, the entire plot revolves around Lusamine wanting Nebby to open an ultra wormhole
>then, after she does, the story becomes about Lillie and the MC trying to awaken the legendary pokémon at the altar to go to Ultra Space
>but ACTUALLY the Ultra Recon Squad already had TWO of the legendary pokémon the entire fucking time
Why was Lusamine chasing after Nebby despite already working with the URS? Why didn't she just fucking asked them to take her to ultra space?
Why did we have to do all that shit with the flutes to awaken a legendary instead of the URS just lending us theirs?

It would make sense if the URS were working completely independently and were not associating themselves with Aether Foundation. But by effectively making them Lusamine's lackeys while keeping the rest of SM's plot, the story turned into utter nonsense.
>>
>>55787729
Everyone is always dissing the original sm plot but I feel like people are just mad they aren't the main character of the plot. At least they tried to tell a story with some more emotional weight than just le bad guy doing bad thing for no real reason hero go stoppy stoppy.
>>
>>55789114
read a book nigga, I'm trying to play Pokemon.
>>
ULTRA CHANGES
>>
pretty fucked up how 2/3 of the ultra spaces with human life in them are uninhabitable shithole dimensions
>>
>>55787425
Fun Ultra Recon Squad facts: to follow the trend of important characters being named after trees and regular plants, their names are all based around types of underwater plants (seaweed and algae) to show that they aren't quite regular humans, In the same vein, they are all shown to be left handed, suggesting its the dominant trait in their world.
>>
>>55787425
They're a recycled plotline from X/Y they wanted to re-use for USUM but did a terrible job integrating/didn't have the time to do with what they wanted.
>>
>>55787477
Ultra Beasts are a million times better than megas, gigantomax, or paradox mons.
>>
>>55791354
wouldn't it have to have been in xy in the first place to be recycled from it
>>
>>55791393
X/Y was originally going to be about an alien invasion, anon.
>>
>>55791400
But the urs is trying to prevent it and Lusamine already caused it on vanilla
>>
>>55789060
This shit, and Giratina’s “motives” in Platinum (stopping Cyrus from destroying both worlds by opening a portal that will destroy both worlds) are why it’s always best to not look at the writing in these games too much.

Biggest example is probably SV’s time travel/time paradox plot and how seriously people debated it, when Gamefreak clearly didn’t care enough because Ohmori only wanted to talk about Kieran.
>>
>>55791361
And regional variants.
>>
>>55791513
Regional variants suck but you know what the bigger sin is? Regional evolutions.
>Yeah let's just completely fuck over the original form of the pokemon by giving the variant a better and/or exclusive evolution!
>>
>>55787425
They’re a type of human just evolved due to not having sunlight. The concept of alternative universes has been around since Gen 1 with connection cables allowing you to interact with other worlds (different games/save files). I’d love for them to expand on their world and maybe even have some regional forms for Pokémon that had to adapt to their world. Imagine a Dark/Ghost Gengar maybe a Dark/Fairy Clefable. A ghost regional meowth? Possibilities are endless
>>
File: D-qw7qcWsAETRjj[1].png (820 KB, 899x468)
820 KB
820 KB PNG
UB and its worlds is one of the best ideas to expand the lore without being tied to the restrictions of our world (Japan hates China, Russia is at war) the big mistake was not exploring these possibilities and continuing with your fucking "child" game "Save the day by defeating the evil team with the help of a magical dog"

Imagine the possibilities, the worlds, the cultures, everything they were able to create on the fly, but no, muh small indie company.
>>
>>55791559
With how the Legends Series being different from regular mainline games I’d love to see a legends game where you travel to the world of the UBs and explore them a bit more even if they’re regulated to biomes like Legends Arceus
>>
>>55791559
>Imagine the possibilities, the worlds, the cultures, everything they were able to create

I can easily imagine missions like rescuing researchers in the world of Pheromosa where the weather can arbitrarily change from sunny to hail, but it's made of crystals damaging any Pokemon other than Bug.

Or exploring the world of Buzzwhole and at some point having to swim through tree sap with a special suit and being attacked by Buzzwhole larvae and the only Pokemon that can withstand these conditions are the poison or fire types.

Or fall into the world of Blacephalon, a world of darkness, a labyrinth that only lights up every couple of seconds and while you try to escape Blacephalon hunts you like a cat playing with its food, if you fall into one of its traps your Pokemon immediately acquire the burned status.

Getting trapped in the sea of Nihilego that constantly changes between liquid and gaseous states, and after a while begins to poison you and your team, a place where your senses deceive you, if something is heard nearby it is far away and vice versa.

Or a mission against time where you must stop a gigantic Guzzlord before it devour your ship or base of operations, the problem in this world is that physics is different and it is like being in a continuous Trick Room, to make matters worse Guzzlord moves like the tindalo hounds through spaces between the corners.

Anyway, the point is that since they are alien worlds, there could be hundreds of strange combinations to the earth's environment, playing with the terrain, the climate, the Rooms, the items and more.
>>
>>55791559
Legends UB in Gen 11, anon. Trust the plan
>>
File: 1693497761959179.png (304 B, 120x120)
304 B
304 B PNG
zossie............................................
>>
File: same.png (48 KB, 148x140)
48 KB
48 KB PNG
I think the core issue was that they just didn't really have anything to actually DO. Most of their time spent in Alola is just exposition dumping and being vague and mysterious. The Ultra Recon Squad are some of the only fictional characters where I can say their designs have more personality than the actual characters (which is funny because I think they actually have very expressive and clever designs). With the exception of Zossie, outside of their body language, there's not really any difference between them all, and I think that really hurt them in the longrun, when they actually have some really serious potential to make an extremely interesting and memorable team with this setup.

They also had absolutely no anime representation and the character made for them for GO is hilariously completely boring and has absolutely no character in his design OR in his dialogue other than " be overly affectionate to the player ". The classic URS really deserved better than Rhi.

We could've had some of the greatest characters in the entire series along with a very interesting plotline, worldbuilding, and potentially themes and ideas, and we got jack.
>>
>>55787425
The only wrong thing is that they were made "bad at battles".

Plot holes? Such as? You not understanding the lore isnt a plot hole, maybe a brain hole. Anyway its not as if you dont have a hole with literally every single thing in every single other pokemon game.

The existence of these characters is mainly to show off an alien family, and to reveal the backstory of Necrozma. It's very likely they were meant to be villanous at first too (as in, villanous to the main character other than to necrozma), which is reflected in: that one artwork
the battle theme
the leak saying team flare were meant to be aliens
their design reflecting team flare's bosses

Maybe they didnt know how to make a story about them being villains without changing sun/moon too much. They also have poipole like...cmon
>>
>>55787829
No region makes sense to just drop aliens on. The only thing that makes sense is them fighting the local guardian deities which Alola has although any region has similar mons.
>>
>>55787425
Why did they make them hot?
>>
>>55793251
>Plot holes?
Why did Lusamine waste her time catching Nebby instead of using their Solgaleo and Lunala?
Why did they prevent the player from fighting Lusamine as she was about to use Cosmoem to open a wormhole?
Why did they get angry at her "betrayal" after the fact even though she wanted to defeat Necrozma like they asked?
Why did the player need to do the whole ritual to evolve Nebby when they could've just used the URS' Solgaleo/Lunala?
Why didn't they let Necrozma absorb some of Solgaleo/Lunala's light in the first place?
Come on man
>>
>>55787425
>or in Masters
they apperared in GO
>>
>>55787425
Also the part where they are version exclusive too
>>
>>55793974
These are dumb ass questions.
Lusamine just goes insane and chooses suddenly to fight necrozma.

Lusamine opens the wormhole fast enough.

They got angry because she just awakaned necrozma unprepared and in fact he won.

There was no pact between ultra recon squad and the player and lillie. This is the most legit question but its irrelevant.
I dont remember ultra recon squad asking the player to go before the summit anyway.

They were scared of necrozma and see him as evil. Thats like saying why didnt they leave kyurem fuse with zekrom and reshiram. why didnt they leave etenatus free.
>>
>>55789114
game would’ve been better if they got rid of the self insert player character and just made lillie the protagonist

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.