[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1209.jpg (241 KB, 1920x1080)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
What do you think the worst nerf to difficulty was across all the mainline games?

For me it’s when your rival started choosing the starter that is weak to the one you chose. In the older games the rival battles were some of the biggest hurdles in the early and mid game, but now you can just one shot them with type advantage.
>>
party wide exp. share
>inb4 yawnfag
>>
>>55795684
> For me it’s when your rival started choosing the starter that is weak to the one you chose
Hau literally has the hardest rival fight in the entire series.
>>
>>55795684
>In the older games the rival battles were some of the biggest hurdles in the early and mid game
maybe if you’re retarded, yeah
>>
>>55795714
If you played as a kid you likely played in a retarded way and you are lying if you say otherwise.
>>
>>55795756
>only overlevel starter
>your level is so high that type disadvantage doesn’t matter and you sweep the rival regardless of what starter they picked

>train multiple pokemon evenly
>you have other pokemon you can use so type disadvantage doesn’t matter and you sweep the rival regardless of what starter they picked

You can’t simulatenously go “I NEED TO TRAIN A FULL TEAM” and “I NEED TO ONLY USE MY STARTER AGAINST THE RIVAL!!” Pick one, retard.
>>
>>55795695
This made things easier, but in a good way. You could level up your party in a balanced way prior to Exp share, it’s just it was incredibly tedious. Party wide exp share actually encourages you to raise a full team rather than just focusing on your starter, a fuckup lots of kids make their first time playing.

The only way you could argue for taking out exp share is if the player is given a consistently functional Vs Seeker at the start of the game to use for training
>>
>>55795767
Even with an over leveled starter, if you are only doing the main battles as you progress, you won’t be that overleveled and will still get slapped by their starter

Yes if you camp wild spawns for hours you will stomp them but that’s not what people do
>>
With all the manchildren buying these games, I’m surprised they don’t ship with a challenge mode these days. Doesn’t have to be horribly different, just bump the levels and competence a little
>>
>>55795780
> Even with an over leveled starter, if you are only doing the main battles as you progress, you won’t be that overleveled
Yes you will.

>>55795793
People who legitimately care about being challenged simply play PvP. The problem with campaignshitters is that they pretend to care about challenge but they don’t want to play anything where there’s a chance they’ll actually lose.
>>
>>55795768
>>55795808
hi yawnfag
>>
>>55795699
This, in fact Gen 7 are arguably the hardest games in the series judged on individual fights. I don't think Pokemon necessarily became easier, it was always easy, it's just become more accessible due to QoL. In that sense I would say party wide exp share has had the biggest impact, it makes it much easier to keep a full team on top of the level curve. A good chunk of the "difficulty" in earlier games really just came from grinding if you kept a full team.
>>
>>55795808
How do you know people are so afraid of whiteouts lel? My personal ruleset leads me to resetting/conceding quite often during harder battles. I would feel no shame in going back to the drawing board here and there if the game was challenging enough without self imposed rules
>>
Infinite use TMs.
>why yes my entire team can use Earthquake, how could you tell?
I think there should be a post game item that allows TMs infinite use. At that stage, difficulty doesn’t matter, so if I want to teach shitmon good moves I’d like the option.
>>
>>55795874
this would be broken in Gen 1, but Gen 5 & 7 have some of the hardest fights in the series despite this because they can give trainers better movesets to offset it. in early Gens everybody had shit movesets so it made more sense to limit the player too.
y'all are really confusing difficulty for QoL.
>>
>>55795860
This is the truth. Almost all the games “difficulty” over the years was just poor game design
>dude you need special shoes to run
>dude you get 1 TM for each move for the entire game
>you need a special item to find hidden items that binds to the same button as the bike
>you aren’t allowed to battle and trainers ever again
It’s “easier” because it’s designed better. I do agree with the OP though, rival picking the weaker Pokémon seems like a needless change, especially since you can decline rival battles
>>
>>55795808
>pvp has a 30 min timer now
It's not a good option
>>
>>55796013
>clown 6v6 format
no one cares
>>
>>55795780
If you solely level your starter it gets over-leveled usually around the third gym.
>>
>>55796019
>no one cares about difficulty
huh??
>>
>>55795933
It feels like they tried to fix in Sw/Sh with the TRs but the raids really aren’t hard to do so you got plenty of what you needed anyway
>>
>>55796019
>it's le bad because Daddy Masuda put in a shitty timer you were never supposed to play 6v6
>>
>>55795860
>This, in fact Gen 7 are arguably the hardest games in the series judged on individual fights.
no game with affection bonuses is difficult
>>
>>55795684
I am 100% sure people who say that have never played the older games. The rival's starter got steamrolled, there was never a time where it mattered
>>
>Grinding and tedium with dogshit exp yields are actually a good thing
>>
>>55796155
ah fair actually, I forgot about those because I don't use them. affection would be a solid answer to this thread now that I think about it. USUM pose a decent challenge if you avoid it though.
>>
>>55796164
I forgot how affection works, but doesn’t it go up regardless, so you can’t really ignore it?
>>
>>55796164
>>55796176
Affection only applies if you indulge in pokemon refresh. Bdsp is the only game with forced affection.
>>
>>55796155
gen 7 is still more difficult than any of the prior gens.
>>
>>55796160
Those are all bad things and it’s good they are going away. However, it would be nice if the endgame trainers have Pokémon comparable to the increased xp yields you get. Some of them have trainers with Pokémon in the 70s and unless you overleveled yourself those aren’t pushovers
>>
>>55796160
Yes? Why do you think Gamefreak comes down so hard on injecting?
>>
>>55796038
clown 6v6 format != difficulty

>>55796142
>it’s le bad because it’s a poorly designed clown format that overemphasizes switching
ftfy
>>
>>55796160
>he grinded in Pokémon
>>
>>55796196
Is that what Masuda told you to say? Switching is le bad apparently?
>>
>>55796202
>Switching is le bad
Yes.
>>
>>55796196
6v6 is harder than 3v3
>>
>>55796164
>USUM pose a decent challenge if you avoid it though.
you have to ignore a lot of things to make USUM challenging. affection, rotom boosts, z-moves. not to mention the new battle menu which points out supereffective moves for you.
i'll give USUM credit for not being a total cakewalk like XY, but it's still dumbed down significantly.
>>
>>55796265
>you have to ignore a lot of things to make USUM challenging
and yet it’s still harder than any of the prior games.
>>
>>55796300
hi yawnfag
>>
>>55796265
> not to mention the new battle menu which points out supereffective moves for you.
That’s in all games now. They don’t show if you have never seen the Pokémon before though. Did you really not have that memorized?
>>
>>55795768
NTA but gotta agree with this. EXP All or VS Seeker should be how it goes from the get-go.
>>
>>55796703
I don’t think Exp All will ever go away at this point. It’s a QoL change that people couldn’t stand going backwards on
>>
>>55796265
>the new battle menu which points out supereffective moves for you
Was that added because newer players were overwhelmed with the type chart or because abilities like Protean were prevalent in competitive?
>>
elite four without full teams.
>>
>>55796788
OoL is something to make your life easier as a player. The option to turn on EXP All (or it being default on and giving you the ability to turn it off) is QoL, as their are use cases where both on and off are valid. Having it as a mandatory system is a game design change, and generally makes the game easier especially given they don't really change any of the games to consider the ramifications of the system (hell, they seem to forget catching Pokemon gives EXP now too).
>>
>>55796981
gym leaders without full movesets
>>
>>55796981
elite four have 5 members in all gens except 5 & 6
>>
>>55795684
as far as actual difficulty nerfs and not time savers like party wide XP share, probably late game gym leaders having like three pokemon that dont even have full movesets
i'm a hardcore bw2 dickrider and even i'll admit marlon is probably the most underwhelming 8th gym leader by far

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.