[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_1187.jpg (657 KB, 1179x887)
657 KB
657 KB JPG
Why did the original game makers decide to make HM moves not able to be forgotten? What was the logic behind this decision?
>>
>>56095518
prevents softlocks
>>
>>56095523
Could that have been avoided by preventing HMs from being able to be deposited in the PC?
>>
made them seem more important, you really had to think about who you gave them to
then of course move deleters so pointless
>>
>>56095518
to give your choices weight. making tough decisions and living with the consequences is a big part of RPG gameplay. in this case, the choice to sacrifice a moveslot on one of your Pokemon, with the consequence that it can't be reversed. that kind of tension in the gameplay where you have to make choices that will affect you down the line is what makes RPGs engaging.
>>
>>56095564
>le RPG gameplay
Yet you seethe about gen 6+ exp share, which exists in every RPG ever, sagefag.
>>
>>56095534
You wont always have a mon that can use them on hand.
>>
>>56095631
I wonder what you should do then in this game about collecting monsters?
>>
>>56095643
You haven't played it clearly.
There's a limit of 6 mons you can carry with you at one time.
>>
>>56095726
If only there was a storage box for extra mons I can visit to withdraw and deposit as needed...
>>
>>56095534
They couldn't even program it so that the player could carry more than 20 items, you're asking too much for gen I gamefreak
>>
>>56095518
They want to teach kids that "with great power comes great pain in the ass"
>>
>>56095773
I hope for your sake that you're just pretending to be retarded
>>
>>56095518
So you don't accidentally maroon yourself.
>>
>>56095579
Other RPGs are balanced around it. Pokémon is the kind of game where you mash A to Champion, the optimal playstyle is literally sticking to your starter and spamming powerful moves the whole game. That's how speedruns and TASes do it. Going out of your way to catch multiple diverse Pokémon and juggle between them is more or less a self-imposed challenge. Pokémon has always been babby's first RPG, and they've made a ton of changes to make it easier.
>Added midroute healers
>Took away poison overworld fainting, eventually took away overworld damage
>Introduced affection which gives you boosted experience, free endures, free crits, and free status heals
>Critical captures almost being like Master Balls (at least they make you have to earn the right to get them)
>Free once per battle nuke button that most other NPCs won't use
>Always on party-wide Exp. Share
>PC access anywhere

If you put all this into an earlier game as a difficulty option, it would almost certainly be called Easy Mode.
>>
>>56096171
And yet the newer games are harder than the older ones. Curious.
>>
>>56096176
Have you tried using just your starter the whole way through?
>>
>>56096176
You obviously never went into Rock Tunnel as a kid. Damn zoomers these days really do think artificial difficulty of newer games are real huh
>>
>>56096238
I did that in USUM and lost 30 minutes in to the teacher at the school.
>>
>>56095579
You know what else every other RPG does?
Divide the Exp among the party members instead of multiplying it
>>
>>56096423
man i've played gen 1 so much that i memorized the route for it and never bothered getting Flash
>>
>>56096622
lol loser
>>
>>56097546
Yeah replaying as an adult I skipped flash too
>>
>>56095643
It'd be a shame if you lacked the funds to get items to collect these monsters with while in a place that doesn't allow you to get more money.
>>
>>56095518
In the old days HMs and TMs etc. weren't automatically all in your bag (iirc you could take only twenty objects) and could be deposited in the computer.

If HM moves were deletable you could get stranded i.e. behind a bush in an area you had to have Cut to get to
>>
>>56095518
As people explained - it's to prevent softlocks.
Gamefreak was really autistic about preventing softlocks. In HGSS there's very obscure event in Cianwood that gives you Tentacool if you for some reasons end there with no Pokemon being able to learn Surf or Fly.
>>
>>56095518
How do you find this bitch without a guide
>>
>>56102121
You play the fucking game.
>>
>>56095518
inventory management. You'll have to choose between a strong move and a move that enables exploration

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.