[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Why did he fail as a rival so hard? Even Hau is more popular.
>>
>>56100719
All rivals are flops because none of them are actual worthwhile rivals
>>
>>56100719
>Even Hau is more popular.
Source needed.
>>
>>56100719
He's just Hau without any charm
>>
>>56100719
Bede and Marnie are more interesting
>>
>>56100728
And Hop rhymes with flop
>>
>>56100719
Because he's a whiny idiot with no identity and no arch, All he does is fuck up then get handed a lab position out of nowhere.
Also Swooshie was just terribly written all around. The only reason people give a shit about Marnie is because she's punk-flavored pedobait.
>>
>>56100719
>feels he's entitled to be champ because of Leon
>looks down on the player in ways no other rival did before, his losses to you never bothered him, it was Bede's basic banter that broke him
>gets a legendary he doesn't really deserve
>gives up and chooses to be a wagey
Honestly Hop just comes across as an asshole I'd never want to be friends with irl. People criticize him for being a friendly rival but if he's supposed to be friendly then Gamefreak failed in that regard to me.
>>
He bangs Sonia so he won.
>>
>>56100822
Funny, Blue's also an asshole but people worship the ground he walks on.
>>
File: 1709654670419000.jpg (82 KB, 950x950)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
SwSh is just SuMo but worse, so by extension Hop is just Hau but worse.
>>
>>56100719
You watch his spirit break over the course of the story, you are responsible for much of it
>>
>>56100719
Because he's just Hau but replace his can do attitude with self loathing.
>>
>>56100829
Nothing is worse than Hau. Not even Hop
>>
>>56100828
Well, Blue was a challenge back then. We were kids, and our tiny brains were shocked a dude could beat us so many times.
He was so mean he even became Champion. We wanted to defeat Blue, and we did. He basically became the guy you love to hate.
There's also Silver, but he had more of a character growth arc rather than a top of the line asshole arc.
May and Wally were meh, but I enjoyed their occasional bumps. Some XP for me.
Barry was just autistic.
I haven't played the other gens, but I guess they did alright since I read more about Hop being a retard rather than the guys in Gen 5 to 7.
>>
File: images[1].jpg (11 KB, 303x166)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>56100822
Holy shit, Hop has always rubbed me the wrong way but I couldn't articulate why until you explained it. Hop is basically Kieran if he was surrounded by friends, his older sibling wasn't a condescending bitch, the narrative didn't force you to lie to him, and Ogerpon actually liked him, but Kieran still hated us.

>>56100828
You can be asshole OR a pussy, Hop somehow managed to be both.
>>
>>56100811
>she's punk-flavored pedobait
You're so utterly mindbroken by the internet pedos that the concept of people liking a character because she's cute simply doesn't register to you.
>>
>>56100900
Grown men play these games and goon over the little girls in them.
>>
>>56100719
>LEON LEON LEON LEON LEON LEON LEON LEON LEON LEON
He's obnoxious as shit.
He's such a terrible character that even on Mastersex which gives everyone crazy character development and brand new storylines his character instead regressed to wanting to slurp Leon's cock once more.
>>
>>56100910
>goon
Against my better judgement I'll keep engaging you, but you do know that grown men aren't the majority of players, and therefore not the majority of the reason Marnie is so popular, right? You're more obsessed with sexualizing minors than the people you're complaining about, at least they keep their shit to their own threads.
>>
>>56100923
Ah yes, the "If you point out something that means YOU are that something!" deflection.
>>
>>56100929
I'm not the one who brought her up just to talk about "gooning" to a little girl. Seek help.
>>
File: 1717860415700055.png (671 KB, 2204x2044)
671 KB
671 KB PNG
>>56100845

I sort of agree because Hau is a nothing character, but the game he's in is much better so he doesn't annoy me as much.
>>
>>56100828
Blue isn't really that much of an asshole, friends banter with each other all the time. Hop is more condescending.
>>
>>56100979
I think the issue is Hau is nothing, but Hop is hateable. I don't really remember Hau, but Hop I oddly do and not for good reasons.
>>
>>56100719
Ugly as fuck, character is recycled
>>
File: 1000012329.jpg (52 KB, 719x480)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>56100989
>Hop is more condescending.
oh that's the worst thing about hop. he keeps praising you on super effective hits which would be fine during the tutorial but he does it every battle and you battle him before and after every gym.
>>
File: EgNqsaXUYAAGtnU.jpg (60 KB, 867x1297)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>56100719
Because he himself failed.
>>
>>56100910
I do this
>>
File: E2RIYYRXEAIrog7.jpg (77 KB, 1200x675)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>56100995
>>56101170

>Oi, ya done whippy-whopped me ape ya did!
>>
>>56100732
No citation needed. Hau have more personality than Hop.
Hau felt the pressure of responsibility being the grandson of a Hakuna and a village chief. He isn't obsessed with someone's shadow. He is genuinely funny. He never gives up. He fell in love (with Lillie). He experienced heart break but it made him stronger and more resilient. It never feels bad defeating him no matter how much we battle him.
Hop on the other hand, depressed for not being as strong as his brother even though no one asked or expected him to follow Leon's footsteps. He is extremely weak and that's an understatement as Leon himself is an absolute jobber. He forces himself to be positive and funny to the point he looks like a clown without a make-up. It feels extremely bad for defeating him in battles because it made us look like a bad person. Eventually his spirit breaks and he simply abandon the path of a trainer and want to become a researcher instead, which adds up to our guilt for stamping on his dreams. I hate it when that happens. Fuck him.
>>
>>56101982
>Hau had more personality than Hop
>Hau felt the pressure of responsibility being the grandson of a Hakuna and a village chief
yes that is true.
>He isn't obsessed with someone's shadow
he isn’t in the shadow of the “Undefeated Champion” hes basically the grandson of a slightly more important gym leader.
>He is genuinely funny. He never gives up. He fell in love (with Lillie)
fair, they share this, what?
>He experienced heart break but it made him stronger and more resilient
again what?
>It never feels bad defeating him no matter how much we battle him
he has one personality trait.

Hops
>depressed for not being as strong as his brother even though no one asked or expected him to follow Leon's footsteps
what? he’s the champions brother taking the gym challenge Bede ridicules him about this.
>He is extremely weak and that's an understatement as Leon himself is an absolute jobber.
weak? he’s on par with the average rival but Leon a jobber? is this a meme?
>He forces himself to be positive and funny to the point he looks like a clown without a make-up
when the fuck is this? he’s only “sad” at one point no rival except for Nemona likes being defeated.
>It feels extremely bad for defeating him in battles because it made us look like a bad person.
no just no
>Eventually his spirit breaks and he simply abandon the path of a trainer and want to become a researcher instead, which adds up to our guilt for stamping on his dreams. I hate it when that happens. Fuck him.
anon being a trainer wasn’t for him thats it.
>>
>>56100719
>Even Hau is more popular.
Which is a shame, cuz he's such an unnecessary piece of a character, that if you would remove him from the game entirely it literally wouldn't affect the story or the world at all. He's only there to annoy you and waste your time through an already long game with all the "mandatory rival" moments.
>>
>>56102011
Leon being a jobber is not a meme. I sweeped his team with equally leveled team without going dynamax. I literally one-shotted his Gigantamaxed Charizard with Stone Edge. His League battles was underwhelming. At least GF fixed that by making Leon a bit stronger in Battle Tower but at that point it was already too late. TrAshnime further overinflated Leon's image to the point his title of "the strongest undefeated Champion" feels forced. But once you travelled the whole region, you'll realize that Raihan, Peony, Honey and Mustard are vastly more superior than Leon.
>>
Hop has heaps of fanart. I think he's right up there in popularity.
>>
Him being given a legendary was so dumb considering the only thing he really did was be a warm body in vicinity of the MC
>>
>>56100719
Because his story is incomplete and wraps up all of a sudden with no development.
He gets increasingly upset at not being able to live up to his expectations of getting strong enough to beat Leon, and then suddenly gets over it like "Guess I'm just not good at Pokémon battle haha, time to become a researcher instead!"
He has extremely incomplete writing, which is very frustrating because the setup is actually pretty interesting, but then leads to nowhere and just ends suddenly. It's like this for the entirety of SwSh.
Oh yeah, the fact that he looked pretty similar to Hop and has almost the same name definitely did not help either.

Kieran did kind of what Hop tried but a million times better because they actually took his time to write a whole character with proper development and a logical conclusion for his story. They took Hop's "rival who is envious of (You)r talents and feels inadequate" concept and turned it up properly instead of making it something lukewarm and totally underwhelming.
>>
>>56100866
>We were kids, and our tiny brains were shocked a dude could beat us so many times.
Who are you talking about? Who the fuck loses to the rival?
>He was so mean he even became Champion. We wanted to defeat Blue, and we did. He basically became the guy you love to hate.
Mean when? Hate why? When is he mean outside not giving you the town map? He does nothing to ever be mean outside that.
>>
>>56102353
Instead they turned Kieran's up properly AND made it something lukewarm and totally underwhelming. Indigo Disk's story is such garbage.
>>
>>56100719
I think he's popular in Nip land
>>
>>56102450
It could've been better, but it was nowhere near as bad at SwSh. I always thought Kieran's interactions with Nemona were more interesting that the ending of ID, because she is basically the opposite of Kieran. She just loved battling and thinks it doesn't matter if you win or lose because it doesn't say anything about your self-worth, something that Kieran needed to learn.
I do think that IDs ending was rushed, but it works ok as a conclusion to Kieran's story.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.