[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Some love for the least appreciated of the PMD series (bar WiiWare)?
How was its reception back then? Back in the day I was still busy with PMD2 so I don't have any recollection of it until months after it released. Also, give me an excuse to share this amazing track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLOIwv0kv08
>>
>Wants us to use the Unovamons
>Not even all Unovamons are in the game

????
>>
>removed the Skitty starter
0/10
>>
>>56108751
it got a pretty lukewarm reception from what I remember. mostly people disappointed with the story. I think it was basically the black sheep of the series until a dew years later some people went "wellll, actually its not thaaat bad". but even then Super was seen as mostly a return to form. still a lacklustre story, but way more content.
>>
>>56108819
I think the story was fine and the twist villain was better than Explorers.
>>
>>56108882
yeah but the Explorers story is really well loved, I think people were going to struggle to accept a follow up no matter what. iirc there was a big hubbub about the final boss not actually being a Pokemon or something. in retrospect I think it's earned a better reputation than it had on release. the lack of Pokemon was probably the biggest issue and why Super got a better reception. it's just one of those games that had big shoes to fill and will only be judged fairly now removed from that context.
>>
File: 1707869720041.png (110 KB, 377x399)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
>Only starters are the unova trio, pikachu and axew
>not even zorua even though it was the shillmon of the generation
What the fuck were they thinking? pikachu wasn't even present in the unova games?
>>
>>56108751
I nearly completed it fully (fuck the Golden Room exclusive Pokemon) and did the weirdly long grind to max rank and the game is just... fine. Huge step down from Explorers and basically a tech demo when compared to Super. I do like the characters though.
>>
>>56108751
Gates had the best partner personalities
>>
File: 1557528772480.jpg (74 KB, 339x431)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
Every day, I pray for a Gates remake with every starter from previous games available plus Zorua and Litwick, all 649 pokemon available, reinstated hunger and other mechanics missing from prior games. Only then, will people finally come around and appreciate Gates.
>>
>>56108751
Honestly its not that bad but the other 3 are all great games so an ok game really sticks out.
I think the story and music are fine but the dungeon generation makes fucking tedious dungeons and way too many pokemon in dungeons have pluck raping your item supply.
Its worth a play for sure if you're a fan.
>>
OP here.
I honestly have grown fond of Gates for being the "odd one out". I sure agree with >>56108990, it should've had something on par with the prior games at least gameplay-wise, but its quirks somehow make it memorable. Besides, I really grew fond of its characters, especially Dunsparce, Emolga and Virizion. Despite only having Gates to work with they feel fleshed out to a similar level to those of Explorer's, even when the latter had Sky and the extra chapters to develop them. Also, it had something unique in having Bittercold being the first non-Pokémon in the series (which I believe Super "ripped off", yet expanded upon).
>>
Massive flop compared to what came before it.
Super was bad too.
And then they went on to butcher some of the mechanics that made Rescue Team good with DX.
Time to step up game
>>
File: 1678348088442.webm (2.27 MB, 1066x600)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB WEBM
>main villain decides to stop fucking around
>>
>>56108751
>How was its reception back then?
I looked at the

>ugly restricted unova dex
>ugly graphics
>insanely limited starter choices

and that was enough for me to say "nope" without further information
to this day I know nothing else about the game

played and beat Rescue Team and Explorers
>>
>>56109739
yep, I loved rescue team/explorers but didn't even bother playing this one. it just didn't look good out of the gate.
I did play super but I only made it like halfway through the game before getting bored. it had some good qualities but something about it just didn't hook me like the first couple games.
>>
>>56109720
i can't believe hydreigon is fucking dead.
>>
>>56109762
>it just didn't look good out of the gate.
heh
>>
>>56108751
It was an obvious tech demo given the extremely limited dex and all the missing mechanics compared to previous games. That being said, it was the only Pokémon game I had on my 3DS for some time, so I still grinded the shit out of it. But I don't think I would enjoy it today.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.