[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: blue mainline.jpg (207 KB, 1128x2460)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
So Blue, we all know him. The OG Rival and all that. But my question is simple;

As he has had some many different designs and has been in so many games

Which of his designs do you think is the best one?
>>
>>56206147
What happened between the first two sprites in RBY and the last one?
>>
>>56206155
He became champion
>>
>>56206174
Yeah but why he gets different clothes and haircut?
>>
>>56206189
Because he's the motherfucking champion
>>
>>56206189
sometimes people get haircuts and put on different clothes
>>
FRLG Blue will always feel “correct” to me, it was the first time we got him fully colored in the games, and every other design for him since then has just felt off for me.
>>
>>56206147
I like Alola the best, the vibes he and Red give off next to eachother in the double battle are great. HGSS is pretty good too, I like the jacket.
>>
File: smell ya later.jpg (63 KB, 280x898)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>56206189

I mean by that point he had been all across Kanto, beating the best and all the gym leaders

He was probably loaded by that point and was about to take on the elite four in the biggest battles of his life

Why would he not get a new haircut and buy a fancy jacket?
>>
>>56206147
FRLG for me, HGSS as a close second.
>>
>>56206204
Sure anon, but you fight him with the second sprite before Victory Road, and suddenly he looks completely different after it.
>>
>>56206147
His champion sprite in RBY I feel is underrated. The new hairstyle helped sell that he had bettered himself. FRLG changed it to be just yet another pose
>>
>>56206236
>The new hairstyle helped sell that he had bettered himself.
Has he really. Right after the champion fight you get the whole thing about "you forgot to treat your Pokemon with care", implying that all he really did was grinding the fuck out of his mons.
>>
File: pokemon-artwork-1_jpg.jpg (528 KB, 660x799)
528 KB
528 KB JPG
>>56206241

I mean Blues entire arc was him being arrogant and cocky thinking he was the best only to keep getting humbled by you.

It's by the time you get to Silph Co and it seems he was about to try and take on Giovanni (If anyone has any other ideas what Blue was doing there let me know..) and you beat here there that he at last starts toning it down and clearly accepts you as his equal.
>>
I like the gen 7 look/outfit the most because he looks pretty slutty there. Big powerbottom energies.
>>
>>56206213
He wanted to look cool as champion. It's no different from Iris putting on fancy-ass dress or Kieran tying his hair for their respective champion matches.
>>
>>56206147
Third and Fourth have always been my favorite
>>
>>56206291
Fair I guess.
>>
>>56206147
1 was a mistake
2 went for the Sugimori look but failed because shitty sprite work and limitations
3 nailed the look and added his "cooler than you" attitude to the animations
4 cemented his look and kept his cool demeanor while also showing he's grown a bit
5 and 6 are chibi undetailed trash for retards
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (226 KB, 1280x720)
226 KB
226 KB JPG
I have always found it funny he was meant to have brown hair but for whatever reason they decided to switch to him being a redhead
>>
>>56206309
Looks light brown to me dude.
>>
>>56206147
I like his champion outfit, it's simple, charming and not gaudy or over the top like most champions not named Steven
>>
>>56206309
Why'd he replace his Alakazam for a Machamp? Alakazam was always the Pokemon I associated with him most since it's his most pain in the ass and the only one that can claim to always be on his team in RBY and also stayed for his Yellow team
>>
File: blue win quotes.png (40 KB, 789x766)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>56206250
>he at last starts toning it down and clearly accepts you as his equal
>>
>>56206398
>losing the battle dialogue
That's non-canon, I never lose
>>
>>56206398
First time reading those lines
>>
>>56206477
They don't display in-game because they're not coded properly, even if you lost
>>
>>56206485
Good ol' Gen 1 coding.
Also related, but I really wish they gave them to generic trainers too.
>>
>>56206147
His SM works great with his history and the location of the game. Second place is between FRLG & HGSS. Can’t tell if I’m a fan of the purple pants after all these years.
>>
>>56206147
I loved seeing his progression in RBY and wish they'd put that effort into all rivals.

I like Yellow because it's clean and well done, I liked being able to tell it was Gary from the anime.

HGSS is easily his best because it calls back to his previous designs and ages him up realistically. He doesn't look like your asshole kid rival, he looks like a maturing teen who's growing into his role in society.
>>
File: file.png (921 KB, 850x644)
921 KB
921 KB PNG
>>56206147
Since this is a Blue thread, what would you guys his "final" champion team ought to be, given all the mons he's had throughout the games? Let's assume no gimmicks for simplicity's sake
>Pidgeot
>Rhyperior
>Machamp
>Tyranitar
>Alakazam
>Exeggutor/Gyarados/Arcanine
>Venusaur/Blastoise/Charizard
seem to be the usual suspects
>>
>>56206798
He definitely should bring a gen1 starter, Alakazam because it used to be a particularly strong mon back then and I guess Pidgeot as the mascot.
TTar would be a meta pick, and not sure about the rest.
>>
File: kino.jpg (44 KB, 879x334)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>56206147
Damn, I never realized how good this progression is. He actually looks a few years older by the end. FRLG might be my favorite overall, but they absolutely butchered this part.
>>
>>56206147
Man, I wish there was more art of his final champion battle outfit from Gen 1. Closest we get is a brief moment in Pokespe where he wears it and maybe the origins outfit if you squint.
>>
>>56206147
That’s Green though
>>
>>56206348
Probably because Silver has one.
>>
>>56206189
It's to make him look more mature, mirroring the evolution of your starters
>>
File: blye.jpg (571 KB, 2028x896)
571 KB
571 KB JPG
>>56206798

I mean Blastoise is pretty much always viewed as his starter so with that in mind..

I do quite like his final elite four rematch team in FR/LG and his various teams in BW2 in the PWT
>>
Bump
>>
>>56206147
Ain't his name Green? Picrel is Blue
>>
>>56209872
We're on an English board
>>
>>56209872
YWNBJ
>>
>>56206200
this, plus he had the 90's douche uniform polo and cargo pants to store his shit while exploring in
it perfectly portrayed him as douchey yet prepared

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.