[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Pokemon Genealogy.png (60 KB, 691x444)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
How does ancestry work in the Pokemon Universe? Obviously, when two Pokemon of a different species mate, the offspring is always the mother's species, but does the father have any impact on the characteristics of the offspring?
If this happens between two different species, does the mother determine most if not all traits inherited by the child in both same species and different species reproduction? If the Father does have an impact on the genetics of his children, what exactly is that impact? The only way for sure the father impacts the traits of the children is by determining their sex, since for most animals males have both sex chromosomes while females only have female sex chromosomes. So do the genes from the father determine anything else or just sex?
Does this apply to humans in the Pokemon world too? Do humans inherit most of their traits from their mothers like how Pokemon seemingly do?
>>
Not really sure. One thing is for sure. They have LOTS of inbreeding. Pokémon seem to benefit from it. The breeding system in main games really should have heavy penalties to discourage us inbreeding our Pokémon and great benefits for not doing it. I'm not sure there is a way to make inbreeding outright impossible without storing a Pokémon entire family tree which of course is not a good idea.

As for the humans, I'm sure everything works like real-life, but I'm not sure on their compatibility with Pokémon since I know someone will bring that up.

But to respond your question more directly. Yes, it does seem like the mother matters more... Hm... I've not really thought too much on how this works in-universe for Pokémon. If had to guess, it works in a much more simple and less uncomplicated manner to real-life.
>>
File: egg creation.jpg (37 KB, 600x461)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
Sex does not exist in the Pokemon world

No character has any genitals. When a male and a female love each other very much, Arceus blesses them with a dirt egg, or a pregnancy if the female is human. This explains interspecies breeding and Pokemon-human marriage. Humans don't fuck in the Pokemon world which is why breeding seems like a total mystery.

You have no way of debunking this.
>>
>>56206774
daycare is different to natural reproduction anon, no matter what popular poketubers say. Other than fringe cases like maybe Tauros and Miltank and so on they don't actually sexually reproduce between different species.
Since gen 8 egg moves aren't even transfered to "offspring" exclusively, they can be transfered between "parents". They aren't even a genetic inheritance or anything like that.
>>
>>56208564
Multiple dex entries go about it though. Sex does exist in the pokemon world.
It just doesn't happen where your favorite poketuber makes jokes about.
>>
>>56208629
>Multiple dex entries go about it though.
Source: your crusty asshole
>>
>>56208564
What an utterly stupid conclusion to arrive on. The scene from the image you posted is a special event literally involving Arceus.

>Sex does not exist in the Pokemon world
We have no reason to believe it doesn't.

>No character has any genitals.
They are not going to show visible genitals because this is a series for kids. Just because they are not shown doesn't mean we have reason to believe Pokémon don't have them. This is a common trope.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NonHumansLackAttributes
>One of the common decency standards in comics, television, and other media is that aliens, monsters and other nonhuman creatures are never depicted with visible genitals, anuses, or nipples, even in scenes where such things should be plainly visible.
>>
>>56206774
I want to know how parentage is stored, because I think that info carries over even if the pokemon are traded to another game. So does every traded Pokemon have the parents' info, who are floating around in Poke space, saved to themselves? Is there a pokemon parentage blockchain?
>>
>>56208626
Are you seriously arguing that the Eggs we receive from the daycare are not actually the children of the Pokémon we leave there?
>>
>>56211574
No, that's just the lore.
Its how they explain Kangaskhan hatching with a kid, cubone having its mother's skull and the many groupmons.
You can literally see in the SV picnics that the eggs appear just there without the "parents" doing shit.
>>
>>56211582
No, it's not lore, it's the limitations of it being video game.

I don't like how in gen 9 nearly everything takes place in the overworld instead of a separate screen such as battles and the evolution animation. It makes it less believable and less immersive for me.

But you're taking it a step further to total stupidity. Of course the parents aren't going to be shown "doing it". Here's another example. Since battles don't take take place in a battle background and instead where you are, we can see what happens to a Wild Pokémon when you run away. When you run from a Wild Pokémon in gen 9, That Pokémon stays there and if you then start another battle with that same Pokémon you see that it has been completely healed. Are you going to argue now that Wild Pokémon can fully heal themselves basically whenever they want?
>>
>>56206774
Pokemon DNA appears to be super "unstable", considering how they have literal sudden bursts of evolution, have quite some regional forms and have a lot of interspecies breeding. You could interpret this as Pokémon being extremely polyploid. If you don't know what that means, I recommend doing some research, it's quite interesting. I learned about it through edible frogs (the species).
Regarding your question about the "father's" contribution, three IVs are passed down by the parents, so the male mon contributes to that, although not sure if all 3 IVs could come from the same parent. It also used to be that egg moves were only passed down by the father but that has changed a long time ago.

Anyway, I don't think any of this matters for humans. The anime has shown Burnet pregnant so it's not like everything regarding to Pokémon breeding also appplies to humans, otherwise they would lay eggs too. We also see plenty of characters inherit traits from their fathers. Just to name a recent example, Arven clearly has inherited features from both of his parents so he would be recognizable as the son of either of them, as only one of them is present in either version of gen 9.
>>
>>56211692
>No, it's not lore, it's the limitations of it being video game.
You don't get to arbitrarily claim when the limitations of video games apply.

Also no, its literal lore, its literal text the actual game has. That your favorite poketuber makes HSOWA jokes doesn't chagne that.

>I don't like how in gen 9 nearly everything takes place in the overworld instead of a separate screen such as battles and the evolution animation. It makes it less believable and less immersive for me.
Whether you like it or not doesn't change what happens.

>But you're taking it a step further to total stupidity. Of course the parents aren't going to be shown "doing it".
That could begin to apply if we didn't actually see them for a while like it was in the daycare(and that has its own issues) but we can literally see everything the mons do.
You're outright denying actual content that can actually be seen on the actual game, that's literal total stupidity.

> Are you going to argue now that Wild Pokémon can fully heal themselves basically whenever they want?
Limitations of it being a video game :)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.