[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: starters.png (1.78 MB, 1161x1243)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB PNG
Gamefreak ruined Charizard by parading him around and wanking him off so much. Pikachu should have been the only mascot Pokemon because he was literally made for the role. I used to love Charizard. He was cool, everyone knew it, only a contrarian would say otherwise. His demeanor in the anime was awesome as well. The way Ash saved his life when he was a little Charmander in the rain will always be a strong memory for me. But now everytime I think of Charizard, I think of all his stupid gimmick forms. I think of stupid Pokemon card resellers and twitch streamers. I think of KANTOOOOOOO AND CHARIZARD. I can't even like one of my OG favorites anymore because Gamefreak ruined him. Fuck you Gamefreak
>>
>>56219000
>It's ok to shill, pander and wank Pikachu off because it's the mascot.
>>
>>56219031
Yes. Pikachu wasn't made to be a Pokemon, he was made to be a mascot and toy. So that is his role.
>>
>>56219000
>>56219067
Wrong, dumbfuck. They were originally intending CLEFAIRY to be the mascot for Pokemon's merch and media, but then Pikachu became a surprise hit among Japanese kids due to its organic popularity as a common playground topic. "If you run around Viridian Forest long enough, you'll find an Electric Mouse Pokemon!"
That caused them to completely change their trajectory, and it wound up being to huge benefit because they unknowingly created the perfect design to encapsulate what a Pokemon is supposed to be in the eyes of the masses.
>>
>>56219082
Even if any of that was true, it doesn't dismiss the point of the OP at all. The only people who would even have known that Pikachu was not meant to be the mascot would be Japanese schoolchildren who got the games before they became popular or had an anime. Are you a Japanese child from the year 1996? No, retard. You grew up with Pikachu being the mascot. They made him the Mascot mon and gave him that role before the games even came to the west. They decided to make him the main pokemon of the anime before Pokemon came to the west. It was at most a few months of there being no mascot before Pikachu was the mascot.
>>
>>56219082
>They were originally intending CLEFAIRY to be the mascot for Pokemon's merch and media, but then Pikachu became a surprise hit among Japanese kids due to its organic popularity as a common playground topic.
That sounds like some made up bullshit rumor. What, you think Miyamoto was trolling around elementary school playgrounds to talk to little kids? There was no internet, the games were fairly obscure until the anime, the card game hadn't been made yet, so where did "random Nintendo business man that got interviewed for this question 20 years ago" somehow learn that "all children in Japan LOVE Pikachu!"
If anything, that rumor sounds like a marketing stunt in and of itself. "Oh Pikachu was just so cool and mysterious we HAD to make the mascot!" as if they weren't originally planning on it from the beginning. You telling me they had the entire anime planned out with Clefairy as the starter pokemon for Ash and they just rewrote the entire thing in less than half a year to make it for Pikachu instead? Smells like bullshit to me
>>
>>56219522
Not to mention not just the anime, but all the merchandise. There is no way they would just hard pivot after blowing a fat stack of money on making Clefairy dolls and stuff. Japanese salarymen are known for their extreme stubbornness and unwillingness to change.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.