[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Name
Spoiler?[]
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File[]
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.

08/21/20New boards added: /vrpg/, /vmg/, /vst/ and /vm/
05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
[Hide] [Show All]

[Advertise on 4chan]

It's my first time playing this and I already have a full team of Johto pokemon by Ecruteak city. One criticism I agree is that the day night bullshit is annoying, I had to wait until Friday just to find a Lapras.
>>
Because their surrogate father figure on Youtube told them to say that.
>>
>>56369607
people think all johto pokemon should be common and OU material, wait for people to come out of the woodwork and say none of those count besides flaafy because they're not meta enough (despite gens 3 and 4 dexes also being vastly comprised of shitmons)
>>
>>56369607
The morning/day/night and Sunday-Saturday mechanics were one of the most kino features of the games.
>>
>>56369673
umm my best friend hylaster said johto is perfect
>>
>>56369607
Just because there's a few Johto mons that can be only found in Kanto. Misdreavus, Slugma and Houndour if I recall right.
>>
>>56369607
>1% encounter rates for shitmons like yanma
>legendary-tier catch rates for shitmons like mantine
>morning/day/night-only encounters
>swarms and time-based events
now post your IGT
>>
>>56369607
Replace Smeargle with Hoppip and you have the most basic Johto team possible. And you're still only using your starter, Ampharos, and maybe Quagsire unless you're deliberately wasting time grinding up everything.
>>
>>56369789
There’s a lot locked behind KANTOOOOOOOO and Mt. silver
>>
>>56369751
That's wrong sister.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pjezgoDGg
>>
>>56369607
>by Ecruteak city
as in, by the time you get to ecruteak city?
where'd you get that smeargle?
>>
>>56369607
Why do people care about making full team of gen 2 Pokemon? It seems really autistic.
>>
>>56369804
>you have the most basic Johto team possible
no, the most basic Johto team is starter and 5 KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pokemon
>>
>>56369822
Because someone on the big bad Youtube said something negative about their favorite childhood game. Then the low-functioning autists here take it personally and feel the need to defend its honor when they're not banned on /vp/ for genwarring.
>>
>>56369822
Some people only use new pokemon and it's really fun to play around new creature
>>56369804
Nah:
He need an Espeon and a crobat too
>>
>>56369796
>mantine
>wait wha-
>25 catch rate
hahaha what the fuck
>>
>>56369796
>1% encounter rates for shitmons like yanma
Be patient. Also Yanma is a shitmon in gen 2 so who cares?
>legendary-tier catch rates for shitmons like mantine
Skill issue
>morning/day/night-only encounters
Be patient
>swarms and time-based events
Be patient
>>
>>56369847
it was meant to parallel skarmory except for any of the usefulness
heracross is similar where it's useless for the entire main story because its best moves are horn attack and rock smash lmao
>>
>>56369853
>be patient when i could've beaten red by the time i encountered a yanma
no
>>
>>56369853
>Skill issue
Not him but when you get the shitmon's health bar in the red, put it to sleep and it still doesn't let itself get caught, it has nothing to do with "skill", retard. Use real arguments and not your zoomer talk.
>>
>>56369868
> i could've beaten red by the time i encountered a yanma
You certainly wont be able to beat Red for a looooong time if you GSC.
>>
>>56369897
Ecruteak to Mt. Silver takes what, 5-6 hours if you aren't retarded? I've had similar hunts that lasted that long. It's even shorter if you're smart enough to use the GB Tower.
>>
>>56369904
>GB Tower
stadium games are too difficult for millennials unless you're talking about egg emergency
>>
>>56369893
A level 22 mantine at 10% health that's asleep has a 17.5% chance to be caught with a great ball, that's really not that bad, it's literally like rolling a six-sided die at that point
>>
>>56369822
because Johto is the only region and dex so poorly designed where any of this is a problem. Every other region give you NEW mons to use right away and doesn't bloat its dex with shitmons, babies, or KANTOOOOOOOOOO. Only the Johto games have such glaring distribution problem that make it unplayable. Game Freak phoned in GSC out of spite and it shows.
>>
>>56369904
You have to 2-3x that time for the typical gen 2 fan. They're busy training garbage like Smeargle to their starter's level so they can use it in zero important battles.
>>
>>56369916
Don't forget the 10% encounter rate when the common mons like Tentacool, Magikarp, and Chinchou are better mons anyway. That's a lot of time and effort needlessly wasted for a shitmon.
>>
>>56369922
>Every other region give you NEW mons to use right away and doesn't bloat its dex with shitmons, babies, or KANTOOOOOOOOOO

GF did this again in DP and i'm not even talking about fire types. the regional dex is filled to the brim with new and imported shitmons

>but platinum
Platinum fixed this by adding more to the regional dex, but I'm just calling out your claim that GF actually learned their lesson and never pulled that shit again
>>
>>56369922
>Only the Johto games have such glaring distribution problem that make it unplayable
So it is unplayable because you may have to add a few gen 1 Pokemon in your playthrough (though not really). Again this seems massively autistic.
>>
>>56369916
It's a relative thing. Mantine's 25 catch rate puts it below Chansey. 25 is about the lowest thing before legendaries, where it dropped all the way down to 3 for nearly all of them. So while it's perfectly possible to catch one, it just means most people don't encounter and catch a mantine ever unless they are on a mission to do so. To top it off, Mantine was exclusive to Gold lol.
>>
>>56369916
As a fan of Johto and person that actually know what they are talking about - Gen 2 games are kind of quirky. One of the in-game bugs (and one of the few genuine complains to have about these games) is that status moves don't increase chance of capturing a Pokemon.
>>
>>56369955
it's a shitpost with some truth behind it
unlike j*hturds who exclusively have to lie to have a point
>>
>>56369789
Sneasel and Larvitar lines as well as Murkrow.

So 10% of new pokemon were locked to Kanto.
>>
>>56369947
mantine isn't a shitmon, it's just not outstanding. it's a water type with serviceable SpA that will get reliable STAB in surf, has fantastic SpD that will wall any special attacker in the story that's not electric, and can support with ice moves. If you really want a mantine, you can find one in less than 10 minutes.
>>
>>56369965
sleep does, but it's the only status that does.
>>
>>56369973
OR i use the free red gyarados that's a higher level and a better pokemon
>>
>>56369969
like when j*hturds tried to claim Whitney didn't use a milatnk?
>>
>>56369975
Nope, there's Freeze as well
>>
>>56369982
>replying and having a conversation with yourself
Yikes
>>
>>56369982
She used a Clefable in GSC.
>>
>>56369978
debatable when it has a special attack stat of 60 for its STAB and needs TMs to use its high attack stat. It's really nothing crazy in gen 2, but yes, in gen 4, gyarados is just one of the best mons to use, period, and invalidates most water mons (especially feraligatr, which just does everything gyarados does, but worse)
>>
>>56369978
If you're talking HGSS you just do repel manip to get a level 50 Magikarp.
>>
File: houndour ate a lemon.jpg (66 KB, 640x591)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>56369607
I think people seriously having problems with gen 2 pokemon not being as common as gen 1 pokemon are just being autistic. What nobody talks about, however, are the evolution stones and gutted TMs. Utterly unacceptable.
>>
>>56369994
That 60 Special Attack is enough if you count also badge boosts and stat experience.
This is something that Johto detractors can't wrap their 1 IQ brains around - Gen 2 mechanics are different and player's Pokemon have by default advantage over NPCs. The concept of Shitmon does not exist when your Ledian is going literally Kaioken x10.
>>
>>56369991
Is this a meme I don't know about? She most certainly does not.
>>
>>56370014
>muh badge boost
>still barely 3 hits NFEs
damn bro you really showed them
>>
>>56370026
Play the game faggot.
>>
>>56369789
Then they're not Johto mons, retard. Just say gen 2. The real outrage should be directed towards FRLG/LGPE for not having Misdreavus, Slugma, and Houndour
>>
>>56370030
sorry, it 2 hits them with a perfect attack DV
>>
>>56370013
Evolution Stones are relatively easy to obtain in Crystal and TMs choice is vastly improved over Gen I. I will even say that Elementary Punches are too good for TMs there - it's full coverage for every mon that has hands and you get it as soon as you hit Goldenrod.
>>
>>56370046
>Evolution Stones are relatively easy to obtain in Crystal
You know what else is easy? Buying them from the store.
>>
>>56370014
They only brought up the 60 special to compare it to Mantine, which has 80 special attack. But yes, the vast majority of Gen 2 Pokémon are usable for in game except for the absolute bottom of the barrel like Unown and Delbird.

>>56370013
> however, are the evolution stones and gutted TMs. Utterly unacceptable.
people complain about those (not as much as the "lack" of Gen 2 Pokémon but it does come up, though ironically you don't need an evo stone to obtain any Gen 2 Pokemon (except for the Sun Stone which is obtainable in the Bug contest every other day). And as for the tms, the punches, head butt, and return are good enough
>>
>>56370038
>FRLG/LGPE for not having Misdreavus, Slugma, and Houndour
? You can find Misdreavus and Slugma on Sevii Islands in FRLG. And who the fuck cares about LGPE?
>>
>>56369607
the following pokémon are hidden past Kanto/Mt.Silver
>Houndour
>Murkrow
>Misdreavus
>Larvitar
>Slugma
>Sneasel
>>
>>56370049
Yeah and you can do it early in the game in... umm... Kanto I suppose? Arguably in most games evolution stones are obtainable much later than in Johto or need player to fuck around with other side activities. In Johto it's an easy thing - grab number of four specific trainers (or one if you just want specific stone), wait. You can even delete numbers you don't need to easily manipulate the system.
Like, compare it to Hoenn where you can get 1-off of every stone as overworld item and then you need to fucking hunt the shards. Don't even try to tell me that it's an easier thing to do.
>>
>>56370046
Gen 2 is my favorite but TMs are vastly shit, the punches are honestly very good and fun to use, but as a whole Gen 1 did it better. Same with stones but that's obvious. Gen 1 just let you have nice things no strings attached, Gen 2 felt stingy but the punch TMs were a notable exception. There are just some Gen 2 mons that will never be fun to use because TMs either come very late (see Xatus level up learnset) or for some reason aren't allowed to have STAB (Gligar is incompatible with every ground type TM). Gen 1 also had many shit level up learnsets, but you could get all the good TMs you needed before or at the halfway point of the story
>>
>>56370070
>just find 4 specific trainers and waste your time bro
no
>>
>>56370082
>Nigga literally don't want to play the game.
Okay, then why are you here complaining? You get stones in Johto for literally playing the game, faggot. If you don't want to play the game it's okay but it's not problem with the game but with you being a retard. Usually during a playthrough of Crystal I end with 2-4 of each stone just by playing.
>>
>>56370082
They're not even hard to find, stop acting like a little bitch just for the sake of it
>>
>>56370044
The red Gyarados is specifically programmed to have an Attack DV of 14/15.
>>
>>56369607
Discordkiddies aren't people
>>
>>56369607
I just beat the game in a few hours and don't do retarded shit like train up a full team or cry about the game
>>
>>56370038
>Misdreavus
Only appears in Mt. Silver, a forbidden location that, at the time, not even the champion could legally enter.
>Slugma
Cinnabar Volcano hasn't erupted yet, so the Slugma population is still deep in the fiery bowels, far from reasonable reach.
>Houndour
Kanto still had a severe curfew system in place, so no one was legally allowed to be out at night to discover Houndour until several years later. Even Tean Rocket wasn't able to dodge this curfew until they scattered from Giovanni's shameful departure, making them a low-danger that cops grew lazy now that the local yakuza/mafia no longer had power.
>>
>>56370091
>>56370094
I also played the game and got 0. Only Johtoddlers would equate waiting around to be playing the game. There's literally nothing to do except battle shitty underleveled NFEs and explore empty dungeons once.
>>
>>56370109
She was clearly talking about Ledian my dear Johturd
>>
>>56370304
excuse me but did you forget the route 34 secret beach? it redeems everything about johto
>>
>guarantee a swarm every day
There, I fixed it.
>>
>>56370013
Not being able to purchase coins directly from the Game Corner also sucks dick.
>>
>>56370362
You could do that in gen 2.
>>
>>56369922
zoomer post

babies are cute, "shitmon" is a retarded term for people who only care about psuedos and vgc meta, and the kanto screeching is getting REALLY old.

GSC are a labour of love and have great world design; not everything is about battling.
>>
>>56370350
i'd also make a full day/night cycle like an hour long. retards here think real time is immersive but there's nothing realistic about going from a new trainer to beating the strongest one overnight
>but dude it takes me 50 hours to beat lance
get a higher iq retard
>>
>>56370375
more like gsc is the product of tajiri being a hack
>>
>>56370375
Babies are shitty dex filler used to shill the grindiest dogshit feature in all of Pokemon and why people cheat in perfect DV/IV mons in the future.
>>
>>56370375
> not everything is about battling
Then why did CHARIZARD get Three super saiyan forms that make it broken in battles
>>
>>56370423
None of its forms are broken in any way
>>
If they put all of those Johtomons in Johto only there will be no more reason to explore Kanto since it's already a filler badge speedrun area.

The original should have given you a Kanto starter and have the original Cerulean Cave even if its the gay Yellow version.
>>
>>56370423
GSC was so ashamed of Johtomons they forced CHARIZARD to star in the intro movie
>>
>>56370426
>Setting up Sun for free 159 so attack isn’t broken
>130 attack with tough claws and belly drum access isn’t broken
>unable to hide which of the above you are until the last minute isn’t broken
>a Nuke fire move that damages both enemies for turns isn’t broken
Retarf
>>
>>56370375
A shitmon is a shitmon, anon.
>>
>>56370430
> more reason to explore Kanto since it's already a filler badge speedrun area.
Then scrap KANTOOOOOOOOOOO and make Johto bigger
>>
>>56370397
lol babies don’t even shill breeding properly, they actively punish you for breeding since you get stuck with a weaker version the pokemon you bred
>>
>>56370449
but they made johto so you can leave it for a better region
>>
>>56370442
Weak trainer
>>
>>56370465
>JOHTO boy
>calling others weak
lol
>>
>>56370469
Huh? I didn't say anything about Johto. Do you have schizophrenia?
>>
I think that for a game aimed at 8year olds, its not good design that you can miss a good chunk of the roster because of rng. They did realize this and gen 3 only had 1 rng gate kept mon (feebas).
>>
>>56369607
>Six 1% encounter rate mons unless you know whos numbers causes swarms and how to brute force the call
>Six Johto mons locked behind trading with unique items that are usually locked behind Kanto or a 2% drop
>Six mons locked behind Kanto
>day/night cycle happening in real time means you'll just not see certain mons depending on your schedule unless you abuse the clock
>Most trainers use Kanto mons so you can't realibly use your dex to find Johto mons you missed
>Heracross
Seems pretty hidden to me.
>>
>>56370477
JohtoMEN make her feel insecure so they live rent free in her mind
>>
>>56370596
which make Gen 4 even worse because they double down on that stupidity. as >>56369953
pointed out and they didn't even being up honey trees which is everything people hated about headbutt trees but far more work and far less rewarding
At least with Gen 2 you could make an argument that they didn't know how to handle new pokemon back then (or that they intentionally wanted gen 2 Pokémon to be forgotten to prop up KANTOOOO, take you pick). Gen 4 was allegedly made to be the "ultimate region, it has no such excuse. Sinnoh should be even more hated than Johto is.
>>
>>56370614
The swarm mons were pretty shit too, at least the Kanto Johtomons were really good.
>>
>>56370663
As every Johtoddler intentionally seems to never mention, the difference between Johto and Sinnoh distribution is the reward for putting in the time and effort for catching the new mons. Johtomons are almost all dogshit and overshadowed by common mons, while Sinnohmons are memed on because the popular choices like Starly and Shinx are strong right off the bat. Even the rare honey tree mons like Heracross and Munchlax are worth going for because they're strong.
>>
>>56370663
no one defends DP’s distribution tho
>Sinnoh should be even more hated than Johto is.
im pretty sure hgss is more popular than any sinnoh game
>>
>>56370477
>I didn't say anything about Johto
>GSC are a labour of love and have great world design
lol
>>
>>56370715
>>56370727
the true poketuber meme is pretending any normal person didn't only use their starter in johto and everyone using the same starter/staraptor/luxray core in sinnoh
>>
>play Crystal
>no Mareep
>>
>>56370754
>lying about how she got smeargle before ecruteak
>>
>>56370748
>pretending any normal person didn't only use their starter in johto
that's most Pokémon games period. Pokemon is "little timmy" the franchise. Playing with only your starter with 5 underleveled hangers on is a point of pride at this point.
>>
So, what Pokemon would you retroactively add to the Johto Pokedex if all/most of the Kanto Dex was removed from Johto and instead reserved for endgame.
I always felt that Pokemon that drew heavy influences from traditional Japan would fit in Johto really well.
>>
>>56370423
different design teams over a decade apart
>>56370397
lol ok, babies are ADORABLE and they make me want to buy plushies, but i refuse to support modern tpc. if this were 99 still i would though lol
>>56370389
cite a source
>>56370448
idiot term, not every pokemon has to be viable in vgc, sometimes being cute/cool is good enough
>>
>>56370715
>As every Johtoddler intentionally seems to never mention, the difference between Johto and Sinnoh distribution is the reward for putting in the time and effort for catching the new mons

>burmy
>carnivine
>croagunk
>cherrim
>pachirisu
>finneon

these all take more effort to get than your standard starly/budew/shinx/buizel comp and they are all much worse, these are not "rewards" for your time. Except to spice up a playthrough with variety, GF gives very little reason to go off the beaten path and not use the standard common meme team, except for Garchomp. Sinnoh mons aren't memed because those popular choices you mentioned are strong right off the bat, it's because they're among the few sinnoh mons that are strong period. You can make other mons work for the sake of variety, but if you're a new player and you catch a starly/shinx/budew/buizel at the start, the game will not give you any reason to change later, as you already have the best options for those types.
>>
>>56371243
as opposed to johto where all of the new mons are shit
>>
>>56370797
In Gen2 and Gen5, many did that and failed, sans Typhlosion runs. Chikorita carry is a joke and the worst existing starter along with all gyms having type matchups against it sans Whitney and Chuck, Feraligatr is the better of these 5 worst, and all Gen5 starters are so bad that people even replace them with Stoutland. Gen2 runs are also cursed with an atrocious level curve, making your solo runs nearly impossible even if you clone your starter 5 times to fill your team.
>>
>>56369741
this, I remember being genuinely excited about every other day for the bug catching contests.
>>
>>56369607
people like to hold older games to newer standards instead of enjoying them for what they are. a friend of mine refused to play re4 because of the controls yet slurped up the faggy remake. bet zoomers/gen alphas can only enjoy pre gen 6 through RomHacks that include the special split, all pokemon to gen 9 and so on
>>
>>56371243
wormadam > ledishit
carnivine > bellossom > cherrim based on design because they all suck otherwise
croagunk and pachirisu are based fuck you faggot
finneon isn't hard to find what the fuck are you talking about retard

fucking johtrannies are embarrassing lmao
>>
>>56369922
Too bad, BW did literally this and the dex sucks ass for it, so bad that GF literally added older gen mons in the main game in BW2.
>>
>>56371429
BW made a poor first impression and low IQ millennials like you dismissed it altogether. If you didn't have a short attention span after digesting Facebook cringe for hours, you'd know the dex improves drastically after Lenora.
>>
Anyone have the infographic detailing how all pokemon introduced in GSC are obtained? I can't find it.
>>
>>56371441
First impressions matter most, and it tripped out of the door. Mechanically, BW were fine, probably the best in the franchise. In terms of Dex designs, "story", and the actual single player and even multiplayer it was a huge flop however.
>If you didn't have a short attention span after digesting Facebook cringe for hours
I don't use Facebook you retard. Also, I'm not playing Pokemon for storyshit railroad. I miss when Gens 1 and 2 let you actually EXPLORE and HAVE AN ADVENTURE instead of going "You WILL catch the legendary, you WILL listen to characters ramble about inane pointless bullshit you WILL listen to our poorly written garbage".

Also, go fuck yourself, short attention span my ass I spend literal HOURS running or playing TTRPGs every week. Gen 5's story is shit, its characters are worse, and the only thing keeping it from being a total failure is some of the tertiary mechanics like the EXP system.
>you'd know the dex improves drastically after Lenora.
I played Black 1 to completion at release. I played black 2 to completion pre-release using a japanese rom and an english patch I got offline. Go fuck yourself, the dex in BW sucks shit and the one in BW2 isn't really much better. Instead of just making bootleg clones of pokemon like Machop, Zubat, and pidgey which serve no real purpose and add nothing of value to the dex, they could have used machop, zubat, and pidgey.
>>
>>56371507
>gen 2
>explore
explore what? the empty caves with either 2 crappy items or a useless shitmon in them?
>i hate reading but i totally play other rpgs i swear
lel
>>
>>56371514
>explore what?
The various caves with different pokemon in them, so I can catch em' all (I know you zoomers will never know such joys because gen 3 was the first dexit and there's just been more since), and the ability to choose what order I do the bulk of the gyms in, just like in RBY.
>i hate reading but i totally play other rpgs i swear
I hate reading shitty stories and bad dialogue, which gen 5 has. And given I just played session one of a Pokerole game sunday and that was better than anything Gamefreak could ever shit out even in their wildest dreams, I'm going to continue to shit on the "stories" of pokemon games, which are, will be, and always have been godawful poorly-written filth.
>>
>>56371417
Wormadam trash cloak is ironically good
>>
Let's say you're playing Gold or Silver (and Japanese encounter tables so no Route 46 Jigglypuff). You're playing entirely single-player, no trading, no events, no glitches. You're going to be missing the following Gen II Pokémon pre-League.
>6 starters
>Spinarak/Ariados or Ledyba/Ledian
>Pichu
>Cleffa
>Igglybuff
>Politoed
>Misdreavus
>Slowking
>Murkrow
>Gligar or Skarmory
>Steelix
>Scizor
>Sneasel
>Slugma/Magcargo
>Mantine or Delibird
>Houndour/Houndoom
>Kingdra
>Phanpy/Donphan or Teddiursa/Ursaring
>Porygon2
>Elekid
>Blissey
>Larvitar/Pupitar/Tyranitar
>Ho-Oh or Lugia
>Celebi
Which leaves 65/100 Johto Pokémon. Now if you actually were trading with an opposite version of equal progress, that number becomes 84/100. And of those 16 post-League Gen II Pokémon, only Murkrow, Slugma, and Houndour are "Kanto Pokémon". Their evolutions aren't found in the wild, you can evolve them anywhere, much like eggs are able to hatch anywhere, or trade evolutions can be done in any Pokémon Center. And Mt. Silver is a Johto location even if it's post-League.

But you also have to consider that there are people who play Pokémon who just hate engaging with most of the mechanics and spending time in optional areas, they just blitz through the game, finish the League, and never play again. Post-game is not content to them.

These people don't want to deal with
>Headbutting (Aipom, Pineco/Forretress, Heracross)
>Roamers (Raikou, Entei, Suicune)
>Swarms, backtracking, or 1% Pokémon (Dunsparce, Qwilfish, Yanma, Marill/Azumarill, Snubbull/Granbull, Remoraid/Octillery)
>Fishing (Chinchou/Lanturn, Corsola)
>Optional areas or content (Natu/Xatu, Bellossom, Sunkern/Sunflora, Unown, Dunsparce, Wobbuffet, Gligar/Skarmory, Smeargle, Tyrogue/Hitmontop)
>Friendship (Crobat, Togekiss, Espeon, Umbreon)

If I picked all the toppings/sauces/buns off my burger and ignored my fries and drink like a child, I'd be disappointed in my meal too.
>>
>>56369607
Nice shitmon army chud
>>
>>56370442
>acks to stealth rock
>invites lando in to click freeq
>coalossal with worse speed control
>>
>>56371596
It's incredible how lackluster this entire list is. You're right, there's no chance I'm wasting hours catching shitmons.
>>
>>56371660
What makes them shit in a game where you can mash A to Champion?
>>
>>56371669
>outclassed stats by common mons
>outclassed moves by common mons
>>
>>56369789
>>56370038
>>56370051
>>56370056
>>56370212
>>56371596
Slugma nuts lmaooooool
>>
>>56371678
lol
>>
>>56371660
Retards here talk about the badge boost like it doesn't affect Kantomons either, especially normal types. Fearow notably gets a huge boost thanks to it and invalidates most of the Johto dex.
>>
>>56371674
By the very nature of being an RPG for children, Pokémon is very simple and it's easy to overlevel one Pokémon and steamroll the entire game. Yes, you can steamroll with Sunkern. You don't need a competitively viable team of 6 with 12 types of coverage, held items, EV trained, perfect IVs, and meta movesets. The game's skill ceiling stops at Red, and even that's an outlier. The existence of the move Toxic and the player's ability to freely use items make the game extremely unbalanced.

I could use a team of 6 Unown spelling F A G G O T and still beat the game, but who needs to use 6? The actual barriers are HMs.
>>
>>56371947
good job not addressing the main point again of WASTING YOUR TIME on finding (1% encounters/swarms), catching (legendary-tier catch rate), training up (low as fuck level curve), and never using johto shitmons in any important battle anyway over most kantomons

all i've learned in this thread is that millennials love tedious grinding and wasting their time for no reason and it's sad

>The game's skill ceiling stops at Red
wrong, the skill ceiling stops at the shitty battle tower in crystal where you spam dragon rage on level 10s
>>
>>56371980
I don't know what to tell you other than what I find engaging about Trainer battles usually has very little to do with the gameplay itself. I like the music, spritework, seeing Pokémon that aren't in my Pokédex, the animations for certain moves, and the story context and dialogue, but I have to pretend to care about strategizing since everything accomplishes the same thing. Differences amount to "Defeat enemy a bit faster" and "Defeat enemy a bit slower". Battle systems in other JRPGs are more engaging.

What Pokémon does well is create a world where I want to engage with the mechanics to find its creatures. They're like little trophies, and the rarer they are, the more valuable the trophy.

Dunsparce is a 1% encounter in Dark Cave, an optional area near the beginning of the game that cannot be explored initially. You need Flash to even see inside, and that's obtained in the optional Sprout Tower in the neighboring town. You need other field moves like Rock Smash and Surf to progress deeper, and to explore all of it, you need to find the entrance on Route 45. Even still, you can technically get a Dunsparce from the moment you walk in. Nobody in the game uses a Dunsparce, it's a Pokémon you typically have to hear about. It's based off the tsuchinoko, a fat snake cryptid in Japan, it's like searching for Bigfoot. Is it viable? I don't know and I frankly don't care, I'm not even necessarily going to use it, I just want it because it's rare and the context is cool. That's the fun discovery aspect of Pokémon. It's wondering where something like Moltres could possibly be in Gold and Silver. If someone tells you Mewtwo is in Gold and Silver, you imagine it must have a special dungeon with a secret entrance a dialogue associated with it. I want to headbutt trees and get an Aipom, Pineco, or Heracross. I want to go to Union Cave on Friday and find Lapras. I want to get calls for swarms. I want to find Murkrow at night. I want to experience the world.
>>
>>56371262
>as opposed to johto where all of the new mons are shit
>Tyranitar
>Heracross
>Scizor
>Ampharos
>Crobat
>Skarmory
>Hitmontop
>Donphan
>Azumarill
>Espeon
>Umbreon
>Kingdra
Rem8nder that tge weakest region in term of bst is actually Hoenn which is embarassing because of the presence of tons if legendaries, two pseudos and Slaking.
>>
>>56372056
And if Dunsparce was given a 30% encounter rate on a mandatory early route and given really good base stats and a solid movepool, it would be ruined. I don't care about all the people who can use it and pretend they're now capable of beating this feeble children's game because they have more win buttons in different colors. Apparently these people don't actually like the searching aspect of Pokémon, probably Showdownfags who say the single-player experience doesn't matter and just want PVP and a quick way to set up a team, it's esports to them.

It's like people who shit on Onix in Gen I because it's not competitively viable. It's one of the rare moments where the actual gameplay of battles is interesting. It requires you to differentiate between physical and special moves, the latter of which are in short supply. If you're using Charmander, you have to work harder to earn your way to Charizard. You actually consider using moves like Growl, Leer, Harden, or String Shot, even Butterfree with Confusion feels like a solution. Poison Powder, Stun Spore, Sleep Powder, how do you overcome Bide without killing yourself? You're thinking about all the mechanics available with your limited options, but as your options and level grow, the solution is more often than not just to brute force a STAB move with your overleveled starter until you win.
>>
>>56372080
Don't check their in-game locations and movesets lmao

>gen 2 Azumarill
>Shitmontop
Dying rn
>>
>>56372080
you forgot misdreavus, whose sole purpose in death is countering red's snorlax after wasting your last rare candy on it when using it on your overleveled would've been better.
>>
File: 1720635839660376m.jpg (97 KB, 724x1024)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>houndour and murkrow appear on route 38 and 39 at night
>larvitar appears in union cave bottom floor (post surf)
>misdreavus in the whirl islands or mt mortar
wow some usable newmons in Johto, that was so hard
brb loading advancemap so I can go do gayfreaks job for them
>noooo now there's no more new mons to discover in kantooooo
okay, how about yanma remoraid stantler and sunkern all pack their shit and go east to take their places - all trashmons who only exist to fill a Pokedex slot and give people something to hunt for, and are not environmentally significant (you can still have your dark cave wob and dunsparce and ruins of alpha unown and natu and whatever else)
>>
>>56373076
>houndour
>route 38 and 39
Made me check, well played, anon
>>
>>56373076
>houndour appears on route 38 and 39 at night
kill yourself.
>>
>>56373084
>>56373076
Oh wait, you weren't even baiting, you were suggesting new retarded locations for those mons. I'm just as retarded for misunderstanding, mind you
>>
>>56373098
What's wrong with those locations? The only one I'd change is Houndour being on that route before the league because it's really strong in singleplayer.
>>
>>56373113
Jasmine.
>>
>>56373113
I think he should be on that route before the ice cave
>>
>>56373117
It's funny for the meme, but Houndoom is both the best Fire-type and best Dark-type you can get. And you'd even be able to go get it before Morty.
>>
>>56373098
>noooo good newmons before the e4 is le bad
>>56373113
>because it's really strong in singleplayer
So are Kadabra, haunter, fearow, and croconaw/feraligatr (at minimum) so what's the problem
>>
File: 1599793812483.jpg (79 KB, 639x600)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>56373152
It's the typing
>>
>>56373154
Who cares?
>>
>>56373154
Kris sexo
>>
>>56373154
Kadabra shits all over Morty as much or more than Houndour/houndoom would
You can trade for Machop just in time for the Whitney battle
Mareep and flaaffy (if you don't already have them) are right next to price and his water type underlings
And of course the gold standard, digletts cave being right next to surge's gym in rby (among several other examples)
So again I ask, what is the issue
>>
>>56373192
>Kadabra shits all over Morty as much or more than Houndour/houndoom would
Kadabra is from KANTOOOOO
>You can trade for Machop just in time for the Whitney battle
Machop is from KANTOOOOO
>Mareep and flaaffy (if you don't already have them) are right next to price and his water type underlings
And of course the gold standard, digletts cave being right next to surge's gym in rby (among several other examples)
Cool what about Crystal where there is no Mareep
>>
>>56373200
> Houndour/houndoom would
Kadabra is from KANTOOOOO
>You can trade for Machop just in time for the Whitney battle
Machop is from KANTOOOOO
How does that justify them being able to break the game?
>>
>>56373200
>goes to mt mortar and catches another Machop
haha whoops
and/or I'll just teach Kadabra thunderpunch
>>
>>56370614
>>Heracross
Is this one supposed to be obscure? I'm playing without a guide and I found it and Aipom while using Headbutt on a random tree
>>
>>56373407
due to how the headbutt mechanic works, some routes have a chance where NONE of the available trees will spawn a heracross.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.