[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: The ultimate move.gif (993 KB, 500x269)
993 KB
993 KB GIF
How come so many Pokemon can learn solar beam? It should be respected as basically the grass type secret weapon that only grass types and a select few "technicians" known for their surprising movepool (like Clefable) can learn, and even then by TM only. It's frankly embarrassing that the hidden technique of the plant masters has been handed out so wildly, it's like a friggin solar beam bargain sale or something these days. ESPECIALLY fire types, the sworn enemy of grass types, should have EXTREMELY careful distribution of this technique. I can sort of see highly noble fire types like Moltres or Ho-oh getting access to it, but even that I'm on the fence about. You're telling me Stantler can use a Solarbeam? Spinarak? Fucking Garbodor, a sentient pile of trash, can CHANNEL THE FORCES OF THE SUN? Why oh why does Cryogonal, an ICE TYPE, learn solar beam? BY LEVEL UP?!?!? Look, I get that the games have to put gameplay above the wordbuilding sometimes, but in the anime even most VENUSAUR are implied to be incapable of a solarbeam unless they've previously mastered the highest skills as a bulbasaur. It just makes me sick to my stomach when I see that a Charizard or Blaziken can just rip off a solar beam like it's no big deal. Grass types deserve better.
>>
>>56465784
I like it. It fits both grass and fire types.
>>
File: heatmor.jpg (21 KB, 474x474)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
>>56465790
Exactly how does this pokemon absorb energy from the sun?
>>
>>56465784
Leafstorm is more like the secret grass type technique really
>>
File: 234.jpg (202 KB, 600x530)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
>>56465784
>You're telling me Stantler can use a Solarbeam? Spinarak? Fucking Garbodor, a sentient pile of trash, can CHANNEL THE FORCES OF THE SUN?
Just because grass types have the highest proclivity for absorbing power straight from the sun itself, doesn't mean they have to be the only magical beasts capable of such.
>>
All the other pokemon saw thier idol Bulbasuar use solarbeam and how cool he looked using it so they all learned solarbeam so they could be more like bulbasaur (the best pokemon)
>>
>>56465816
TM22
>>
>>56465784
only grass gets STAB so its okay
>>
I like that Cryogonal can learn it. A reflective surface like a living ice crystal being able to fire off light based attacks like Flash Cannon and Solarbeam makes sense to me

It really just comes down to how much movesets have expanded to give everyone "coverage" attacks
>>
>>56466286
the sun would melt it though...
>>
>>56466198
What you are failing to recognize is that Grass types > all. Your lame reindeer doesn't belong in the solar beam club.
>>
>>56465784
>t's like a friggin solar beam bargain sale
Calm down, Vegeta.
>>
#bringback/sbg/
>>
>>56466297
Hence it learning Acid Armor
>>
>>56465784
ACTUAL ANSWERE HERE, because it's a "BEAM" move. These have ridiculous learn range like Ice Beam on every water pokemon
>>
>>56465784
it really annoys me too
fuck Shitfreak wanting to shove everything into Shitzard to convince retards that it's the stronkest shitmon to ever exist through shameless Jewy marketing and propaganda
>>
>>56465784
What is to be done with Grass types that cannot learn Solar Beam, OP?
>>
>>56465784
I looked up that pokemons gen 1 learnset and I understand why fans of it would be bitter about every single other pokemon being better. I'm sorry, anon.
>>
>>56466760
I saw an interesting game design video on the the Gen 1 starter types and how it may have been the intention of separating the types by function as JRPG archetypes... Fire was the all in, offensive type the melts through most of the early to mid-game Bug and Grass types, which usually will deliver solid neutral damage on most opponents, Water as the more defensive, tank type that has only two weaknesses, one of which is the rarer Electric type, and can barrel through the usually more tanky Ground/Rock types that populate the caves and final gym... Grass was meant as a more support/utility class type, seeing as how Bulbasaur's first Grass move being Leech Seed, with Vine Whip coming later, having a near monopoly on almost all the gen 1 status moves, including the 100% accurate Spore, and HP draining moves Mega Drain and Leech Seed to debilitate and make opponents easier for your other team members to defeat
Of course, all of this has changed over the years as movepools expanded and abilities and such make such roles less definitive, but an interesting thought line
>>
>>56465784
Cryogonal is a fucking mirror man, of course it can use solarbeam.
>>
>>56465816
the same way you do? except you get cancer from it while heatmor gets to wipe water, rock and ground ass with it

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.