[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Pokemon_Sapphire.jpg (72 KB, 500x500)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
What was the anticipation for Pokemon 3 like for people staying with series and ready for a new game?
>>
Gonna be real with you chief, it was just a new Pokémon game for me and I desired it.
>>
>>56486274
there wasn't any anticipation in my age group
I was like 6 when red and blue version came around
>>
>>56486274
Around that time it was seen as cringe to still play Pokemon and I didn't know anyone else who played gen 3.
>>
>>56486274
I was extremely excited. I also went into it completely blind, I didn't look up any new Pokémon or whatever (even though I did have Internet access so I could've done it if I wanted). It was great to discover them the first time in the game itself.
I also thought that the box legendaries looked fucking cool, which is something that matters a lot when you're a kid, as stupid as it sounds.
I do remember thinking that it was kinda ugly though. I liked gen 2's style more I guess, plus it is actually pretty ugly for a GBA game lol.
>>
I remember some cynicism growing for the series. People started to call Pokemon a dying fad. The novelty of the games started to wear out among older players. I remember fewer kids trading Pokemon cards too, while Yugioh was growing. Ash Ketchum became a joke after losing to Blaziken in Johto, and the anime became less popular in America.
>>
>>56486413
That's also because the "Pokemania kids" became teens around the time RS released. So they went into the typical "the things I liked as a kid is for babies! I'm an adult now and only like cool things for adults such as myself!" phase and started to call Pokémon lame and gay. It's also cause Pokemania was truly insane. There's always fads for toys and such (like fidget spinners a while ago) but nothing has ever been as big as Pokémon. So when it finally started to fizzle out, the decline was very notable. And you know how kids are, once something starts losing popularity, they drop it cause they don't want to seem uncool.
Also the anime became objectively worse. Ash lost all his personality and the episodes became extremely formulaic. So yes, the majority of watchers dropped. I honestly can't believe they kept going for so much longer after that. Ash should've been retired decades ago.
>>
>>56486370
This, then found out a lot of people actually played gen 3 but got to meet them in uni or afterwards.
>>
File: EuOU1VUXYAIo0Vz.jpg (158 KB, 1191x1069)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>56486274
Before we knew they were called Ruby and Sapphire it was known as 'Pokemon Advance' in fan circles. There was even a rumour that there would only be one version and not two.
There was a lot of hype around it being on the GBA, the thought was that the graphics would be amazing, when the first screenshots were released a lot of people were disappointed
The belief was that the games would build on what GSC did by allowing the player to go back to both Kanto AND Johto.
My personal theory was that the Day/Night system would be expanded upon to include seasons. I was very upset when Day/Night was no longer a visible thing when the games released.
A lot of fan ideas for new Pokemon were more baby Pokemon and evolutions of old Pokemon so when only two new babies and no new evolutions were confirmed a lot of people were surprised.

Ultimately RS didn't live up to a lot of its hype, especially when no backwards compatibility was confirmed and everybody was wondering how they could get Charizard and Mewtwo. Gen III's reputation didn't really start to recover until Emerald.
>>
>>56486274
Born 1995
I just remember thinking wow May is the new Misty on the anime
Didn't play the games till 2007
>>
I was excited about the better graphics, double battles and the overworld weather. When I got the I was most happy about how much better navigating boxes was and most disappointed that you couldn’t trade with gen 2 games.
>>
File: Cypernt.jpg (2.35 MB, 2655x1880)
2.35 MB
2.35 MB JPG
I don't have anything for gen 3 so uh... have this thing instead.

>>56486411
>that matters a lot more when you're a kid
I disagree, I think it matters even when you're an adult!

>>56486446
The original plan was to retire Ash after the first movie, but the anime was too popular at the time. I guess after that, they just got a little iffy about possibly replacing him, since he was deemed still iconic.
>>
>>56486506
Joe Wong was robbed
>>
>>56486506
>I think it matters even when you're an adult!
I dunno. I always look at stuff like version exclusives and other differences when I consider which version to buy now. I don't use the box legend in the game anyway so I don't care much about that.
As a kid you go "wow cool box" and just grab the game. That's my experience at least. Although I was such a massive Pokémon autist that I always bought both versions, and the third one too of course. But the Box legend I like more was always the game I played first and most. The second versions were always the ones I used to replay the game.
>>
Crystal killed pokemania.
>>
>>56486274
I was too young (~7) to have a concept of news or an awareness of continuity. I got it when I got it and made the most of it.

I didn't learn about such things until Diamond & Pearl.
>>
>>56486506
is there a source on the retiring thing?
>>
File: Policxyn.jpg (3.47 MB, 3957x1880)
3.47 MB
3.47 MB JPG
>>56487102
I can't find the exact interview where they were like "oh yeah the movie ends with Ash's kid" but I did find all of this which did point to them wanting to retire them pretty hard.
https://lavacutcontent.com/takeshi-shudo-ending-pokemon/

>>56486521
Fair enough. I still do the box legendary, though I'm far more interested in whether the game is good first and foremost(it hasn't been in a long while.)
>>
>>56486506
Joe Wong made rayquaza
Michael made magcargo
What a robbery
>>
>>56487925
Whaddahell Policxsin is just Morpeko
>>
>>56487944
looks cooler than rayquaza actually
>>
>>56487925
Mess-Mess is soul incarnate
>>
I remember "Pokémonia" being in decline. My friends weren't talking about it anymore, the newer movies were straight to VHS instead of getting theatrical releases, the anime was being shown in fewer slots over the week, my local newsagent had stopped selling cards etc...

I was 14 at the time so it was exactly the age where I still liked Pokemon but had to pretend I was too cool for it.

I think that tainted my feelings towards R/S. In my mind it seemed like the franchise was winding down and I should feel silly for still holding on. Having the box legendaries be version exclusive and a bunch of gen 1/2 pokemon be unavailable also pissed me off.
>>
>>56486479
Finally a real answer from a person as described by OP - someone still a fan and excited for a new game. We've heard the decline of pokemania stuff plenty, I came to the thread because I was interested what die-hard fans who weren't already moving on were thinking.

As someone who started with Sapphire, I was really curious to know. Thanks for sharing your speculations from back then. Having since gone back and played them in order, I assumed many fans would have been disappointed by RS, for only being one region, for dropping day/night, for its graphics.

Was there anything you were surprised or impressed about, in a good way, once you played it? Or did you drop the series temporarily when it came out? I mean you mentioned the rep didn't recover until Emerald - did you find things to appreciate about it at the time?
>>
>>56486274
Awesome. Late 2002 - early 2003 I was in 5th Grade reading every new Nintendo Power magazine religiously for new information about Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire.
>>
>>56488242
>I was interested what die-hard fans who weren't already moving on were thinking.
That's just it though, Pokemon was still in it's infancy so the dedicated circles were pretty small. Information and hype were much more limited on early 2000s internet too.
>>
>>56488242
nta but I went through similar feelings to him at the time (disappointment at missing pokemon, the lack of day/night and schedule in general, the "building on" the old dex limited to a couple of babies).
Things that I was genuinely impressed by at the time is something that isn't really focused on enough I think. Contests had me cautiously excited, it was tinged with some disappointment as I thought they'd "unlock more" instead of just giving some ribbons but I really liked the alternate dimension to just battling. I never had Crystal as a kid (Red, then Yellow, then Silver) so I was genuinely really impressed with the Battle Tower. Berry Farming was also something that I remember enjoying at the time, along with checking TVs every day or so. I quite enjoyed diving for some reason, I mean I don't even really get it nowadays, but I remember really being impressed by it at the time (I think it was partially the feeling of finding "hidden places" to resurface and it changing the dimensionality of water routes). I also thought that overworld weather was really cool. Abilities fell oddly flat with me (I think it was just irritation at Static mostly, and then Poison Point hell in FRLG) and while I was always annoyed that I had to go and change bikes I did like both Mach and Acro bikes individually.
Hopefully that answers some of your questions anon, I will point out that I dropped the games in gen 4 because I just didn't make the move up to the DS. I played Gen 1 and 2 around the time that Gen 2 was current, played Gen 3 when it was current and then didn't come back until B2/W2 (finally bought a DS with my pizza delivery job). I was really impressed where the games had gone overall and excited for what was to come. I haven't touched a new Pokemon game since Gen 7, when I completed Moon (including updating my living dex), played about half an hour of Ultra Sun when it came out and lost heart. While I preferred Gen 2 to 3 I never had that feeling with RSE.
>>
>>56491206
Oh and to build on this, I was really impressed by the Battle Frontier and Gym challenge in Emerald but weirdly enough I didn't like the Battle Tents. Probably came from me wanting them to build on contests, and instead it felt like they jammed them all in one place to minimise a failed experiment. I also really didn't like not having most of the pokemon I liked most unavailable in the games, although that was offset by making new bros along the way.
>>
>>56486274
Only ever got gen 1 because poverty and nintendo being jews, so didn't care until i could emulate, subsequently becoming my fav gen.
>>
>>56491206
>>56491213
Yes, that was really insightful, thanks a lot for sharing your perspective from then. as time marches on the discourse evolves, of course, but those first impressions can get lost.
I remember being impressed with diving, even though it wasn't a new feature to me. It worked unlike anything else, took you to a new map where you had a totally different sprite, the bubbles that float up as you move. It's a lot of detail and also made the water feel like "an ocean" and not just blue tiles you slide across, you know? It gave it depth.

For the record too, I also dislike the battle Tents, always did still do. I love the Frontier and i get the idea they're meant to prime you for it, but i missed contests, I thought they damn removed it my first run. It stops you from being a contest coordinator or whatever throughout your journey, and relegated it to being a late game distraction instead of a secondary campaign of sorts. That was lame, and sadly gen 4 followed suit (though at least it had them)
>>
I wanted to play them even if my classmates considered Pokemon for children but my parents didn't buy me a GBA. I got to play Emerald in 2005 or 2006 using an emulator. Then, they got me a DS Lite around late 2006 and I didn't make a good choice by not buying Emerald and Fire Red so I'm trying to get them if the opportunity arises of buying them for a fair price.
>>
I can't say I remember how or when I first came to like Pokémon since I was only 4 in 1998, but I do have memories dating to summer 1999 where I remember already liking it then. I was 6 when I got Silver for Christmas 2000 and 9 when I got Ruby for Christmas 2003. I remember being really excited for it since at least the summer and had tried entering an online contest to win a copy with a GBA SP. I had been watching the anime so I remembered when Gen III Pokémon showed up like Kecleon. I was never one of those kids who got Gens mixed up and didn't know about Skarmory or Slugma, especially watching the anime and owning Stadium 2.

My earliest impressions were that I thought Blaziken and Groudon were really cool, and I thought the graphics looked like a major step up. But I also remember expecting more as I played. With Silver, I remember the shock when a whole other region opened up, the one from the first games that I hadn't been able to play. Even though I thought I had beat the game, it kept going. It was like the gift that kept giving. I didn't get that impression from Ruby as much. Since I didn't have a Gen I game, I couldn't use the Time Capsule to begin with, but I knew what it was and had seen friends use it. But it wasn't there for Ruby even though I had two games now. But to put it concisely, I think it says a lot that I remember a lot about how I felt for specific moments in Silver when I was 6 compared to specific memories in Ruby. I remember the game itself, but not a lot of my moment to moment impressions. I was hyped for FireRed, but I remember debating if I really wanted to play Emerald.
>>
>>56486274
GSC had completely killed Pokemania so nobody I knew was that much excited for it
>>
>>56486274
I was absolutely buzzing because graphically it was a huge upgrade from gen 2. I thought overworld weather was the coolest thing along with double battles, but it felt like there weren't enough to enjoy them.

Like others mentioned, the lack of day/night and disappearance of old mons was triggering but the dex was varied enough to provide novelty and Hoenn was such an interesting and vibrant region I forgot about the things that bothered me.
>>
>>56486413
>Ash Ketchum became a joke
He was already a joke when he lost to Ritchie.
>>
>>56491993
I cried the day I saw that episode. Fucking Charizard.
>>
>>56486506
>charcataflame is torracat
>cypernt is rayquaza
>pokemoney is gimmighoul
>sulpha is slugma
>policxsin is morpeko
>mr meltdown is vanillish
>sharqua is mantine
>sorro is joltik
>regigrass
Wait is this after gen 3? Regigrass? It seemed like gen 1 with the season 1 art.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.