[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 1728312034645.jpg (198 KB, 474x663)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
What are the chances of Gamefreak going all out for Gen X and releasing a console version anthology for all cartridge gens on the Switch 2?
>>
zero
>>
absolutely zero
>>
File: masuda joker.jpg (313 KB, 923x793)
313 KB
313 KB JPG
>>56539919
Gamefreak fucked up for not making this Pokemon Box to use the GameBoy connector and pass the pokemon from gen 1&2 to gen 3. Lazy japs!
>>
Literally zero percent.
>>
>>56540817
I guess by that point they hadn’t figured out how to convert gen 1/2 pokemon to gen 3 yet. It’d be cool if you could though, it would’ve been a great way to preserve your old pokemon before the batteries ran dry
>>
>>56541315
File format conversions are the easy part, communication between the hardware is more up to Nintendo than any of the game devs and may actually not have been possible on the official hardware as released. The gba and older gb/c used different link cable pin-outs, not sure if gens 1 and 2 can even trade amongst themselves on the newer hardware I think it still requires an old cable if both games are plugged into a gba and I am one functional gba short of being able to test that myself, but if so they could have made trade/transfer to gen 3 work with the caveat that it required both games to be running on the newer hardware, though I can see them not being willing to support that kind of specific case even if it's technically possible just to reduce complaints from idiots not setting it up right. The gameboy player for the gamecube should have worked since it's essentially a gba with video out to the gamecube, though that would depend on box being able to replicate the boot disk to get it working, something I can see Nintendo not allowing even if Game Freak wanted to. Not sure if the gamecube to gba cable could have been used given the old carts were taller, I'd go check if the game and the cable can physically fit in the gba together but my cable is 3rd party so dimensions may be a bit off. In either case, once the hardware is talking to each other all they had to do was program the gen 3 games or box to read the older cart to figure out if it's gen 1 or gen 2 and the save file to get access to the pokemon, similar to the n64 transfer pak, and convert the old data structure to the new one same as any other transfer does - just gotta copy bits from one location to another and set defaults for new data that didn't exist in the old structure. I've seen at least one successful attempt at a custom cable/board to connect gen 2 and gen 3 and enable trading to work about the same as gen 1 to gen 2 did.
>>
>>56539919
Zero you retard. GF will never release an effortful game again (not even an effortful collection) until normalfags and shills stop slurping up the low-effort slop they put out.
>>
>>56542600
You needed to use an old link cable for connecting GB(C) games on newer hardware.
>>
>>56542600
There's a software solution now, but I don't like how he forces you to go manually pick the Pokemon up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47A6p2hH2gU
>>
>>56542632
Thought so.

>>56542646
The fact that it can be done completely software side now at all is incredible! I do wish it just put it in the pc boxes but oh well.
>>
>>56542600
There was a way to play Gameboy color games on the Gamecube with a special base, there was no excuse to do the pass with Pokemon Box
>>
>>56543029
That was the gameboy player, it required a special boot disk as an anti piracy measure to get it to work officially. No idea if box would be able to read the cartridge without a disk swap and I'm not aware of any multi-disk games or anything akin to Monster Rancher's disk reading functionality on the ps1 being done on the gamecube so I don't think Nintendo would have sanctioned any memory trickery to allow a disk swap as part of the transfer process. Otherwise yeah should be technically possible, but I haven't seen any hackers attempt to make it happen yet, all efforts seem to be focused on going directly between handhelds.
>>
>>56542846
>I do wish it just put it in the pc boxes but oh well.
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of his OC stuff at all.
>>
>>56540817
>>56543029
Having this happen was a good bit of early-mid series lore that was kept in people's minds for decades. It was even fixed with the 3DS versions officially and we don't even care.
>>
>>56543248
They just had to make the Pokemon Box disk able to boot with the Gameboy color games, similar process with that GBC disk
>>
>>56544208
The cable isn't compatible with Game Boy Color games.
>>
>>56544218
It doesn't need the cable, the special base here >>56543029 has a slot to put the catridge, make that connect with PokemonBox disk pokemon could pass from RBY/GSC to the 3rd gen
>>
the only thing with a lower probability than mainline becoming good again
>>
>>56544476
Can any other software access the Game Boy player?
>>
>>56545067
Other software can easily access the GameBoy Player when its running in GBA mode, but when it's in its backwards compatible GBC mode the addon's ability to interface with the GameCube is basically non-existent (beyond of course handling inputs and AV). The idea definitely makes sense, people have already made GameCube homebrew that can use the GameBoy Player to dump GBA roms and saves, but it's not possible to do the same with GB and GBC games, the slower CPU and barebone GBC BIOS just can't handle it.

It's really just not possible to transfer data from a GBC game to a GC or GBA game with any officially released hardware from Nintendo, they just didn't plan for it. The GameBoy Player can't handle transferring data to the GameCube while in GBC mode and the voltage differences between the GBC and GBA's link cable blocks any communication there too.
>>
>>56546198
>Other software can easily access the GameBoy Player when its running in GBA mode
Does any software do this? Or is it just the Game Boy Player disc and Game Boy Interface?
>>
>>56539919
>waiter, waiter! more slop please!
>>
>>56546206
The Startup Disc is the only official software, GameBoy Interface is probably the only homebrew. Unless you want to make a standalone GBA cart dumper or something there really isn't anything else that could use it for anything anyway.
>>
>>56539919
That game has more content than Legends. 386 Pokémon VS. 240
>>
>>56539919
Virtually zero.
>>
>>56539919
They would sooner release digital downloads/work something out with Nintendo for a special Pokémon VC application that uses their emulation.
The image you posted will never ever release and they will stick to the subscription models for good.
>>
>>56546493
How many battles?
>>
>Red Collection
>includes Blue, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black, X, Sun
>Blue Collection
>includes Blue, Silver, Sapphire, Pearl, White, Y, Moon
yes they don't include any third versions or sequels

enjoy
>>
>>56546767
They'd just make you buy everything individually.
>>
>>56546767
>Red Collection
>includes no games, but is a collection of wallpapers and soundtracks
>Red, Gold, Ruby, Diamond, Black, X, Sun, Ultra Sun can be purchased individually as DLCs

>Blue Collection
>includes no games, but is a collection of wallpapers and soundtracks
>Blue, Silver, Sapphire, Pearl, White, Y, Moon, Ultra Moon can be purchased individually as DLCs
>>
>>56547175
>ultra sun and ultra moon but no black 2 or white 2
Believable, sadly.
>>
>>56539919
Do negative numbers count?
>>
File: 1711843274645849.png (54 KB, 400x400)
54 KB
54 KB PNG
I, too, sometimes still catch myself fantasizing about cool stuff this franchise could do. It's important not to delude oneself and keep expectations low/nonexistent, though.

Just download the roms and enjoy the games on emulator if you haven't played them already, OP.
>>
>>56547596
That's why I took the rom hack pill, so I can do that cool stuff on my own.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.