[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

The idea suddenly struck me today of a new mechanic for quick/fun EV training, and that'd be a sort of pocket dojo feature where you select one of your monsters to instruct other monsters on their form, like a coach or a spotter
The spotter you select would determine the "intensity" of the training, aka the EV yield, via their species
For example, Machop, Machoke, and Machamp give 1-3 Attack EVs, as it is their highest natural stat
Therfore, if you had a Macho family member lead a "class", a generic animation of your pair of selected Pokémon tweening weights up and down or using a punching bag would play, and either you'd set a timer for your Pokémon to train a specific amount, or you'd do it manually with timed taps of the A button until you have the points you desire
In addition, if the Pokémon you have acting as a coach has a nature that corresponds to the stat youre focusing on, it could increase the effectiveness of said training
If both the coach and student have natures corresponding to said training, it would increase effectiveness even further, as they get a good rapport going
Conversely, if you have a Machoke that was Timid, you could use him as a negative trainer, and he could give your Pokémon sloppy or clumsy training that would reduce your attack EVs, as his heart just isnt in the training

So far, I think
HP - Eating Contest/Bulking
Attack - Punching Bag
Defense - Sparring/Blocking a Pitching Machine
Sp Attack - Target Practice
Sp Defense - Waterfall Training (Mind over matter)
Speed - Treadmill
Sauna - No coach, just a hard EV reset
>>
>>56688234(Me)
>page 7
Damn, tough board
Thought about this a bit more, forgot to mention HP training could probably use Neutral natures and/or be positive of negative based on what kind of food you select for the training
Additionally, Nature Mints would have no bearing on this training, as it would mitigate the value of a Pokémon having a "personality"
Mints can affect battles, but nothing outside of them
Tangentially related, it'd be neat/funny if random NPCs could check your lead Pokémon's EVs and comment on the results of your training, judging by whatever stat is the highest and just what percentage of EVs that stat has a monopoly on
>>
>>56688986
>Damn, tough board
people are distracted by the leaks, don't take it personally

sounds neat, kind of like an evolution of Super Training from XY and Pelago from SM
>>
>>56689020
Super Training is really tedious, and the Pelago was too long and too passive, so the main focus would be to make (You) as a player have more agency and immersion, on top of having options to min max and have a more tangible benefit to having something resembling a living dex in your hands
>>
>>56688234
how about i just throw the games away after i beat the story and play pokemon showdown
>>
>>56689269
Why waste the money, just play showdown from the start
>>
Redoing Gyms to be battle faculties, inspired by Pokemon Stadium. You fight two trainers, followed by the gym leader. Pokemon are healed between fights, with the exception of fainted Pokemon. In-battle items like potions are disabled, these are meant to be proper battles. You don't earn EXP either, like a regular battle faculty.

After defeating the Gym Leader, you can rematch the original challenge if you want to re-experience it for some reason, or the additional cups; Lv. 100 and Monotype. Lv. 100 is exactly what it says on the tin, all opponents will have Lv. 100 teams, very much end-game content. Monotype is the same, only with the rule that both the opponent and the player can only use Pokemon from that Gym's type.

Gym puzzles are removed, and their mechanics can be repurposed into dungeons in other places.

Ultimately, this is intended to make Gyms more challenging in the main game, feel like proper places to do battles (the main mechanic of the series) as opposed to weird hit-or-miss fluff, and make them replayable with new challenges.
>>
>>56689342
I had similar thoughts
>>
>>56688234
What you're describing is exactly how the Digifarm works in the Digimon Story games like Cyber Sleuth. I prefer EV training in Pokemon because I really don't need to train a ton of stuff most of the time, but usually want to get one mon a very precise stat spread.
>>
File: 1729141578692958m.jpg (48 KB, 1024x576)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
Grappling with my pokemon and whoever taps out bottoms
>>
>>56689363
I don't mind if the gyms start to incorporate new battle mechanics to showcase them to the player and also teach players how to counter them (for example, weather). However, I think it's critical that Gyms never lose the whole "being based around one type" gimmick. A lot of hardcore Pokemon fans forget this, but Gyms are themselves tutorials about each Pokemon type and teaching players what they're weak or strong to. The Pokemon type chart is convoluted, especially if you're a new player. It's something you really need to learn slowly as you play, not all at once.

Speaking of this, another mechanic that really needs to be looked into: A decent Pokemon pet simulator. One to make Pokemon feel like actual animals you have to raise and care for. Pokemon Amie was a good step towards this, but it suffered from both being entirely ignorable, and also if you touched it once you'd forever break the game and make it babymode.
>>
>>56689416
>pet sim
Yeah, that's part of what the OP and picrel are trying to play into
>>
>>56689342
I might steal this idea for my romhack. I'm so bad at coming up with puzzles and I've been stuck trying to figure out what to do with gyms without them. I like the idea of it being like a little tournament. actually one of the few things SWSH did right, at least visually.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.