[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

why regions have to be based on real world locations? Why can't they just be original fantasy/fictional lands?
>>
>>56754194
hahaha i don't really know
>>
File: Atlantis map.png (893 KB, 1200x800)
893 KB
893 KB PNG
>>56754194
I mean Atlantis was mentioned in the leaks, so why not put Gen 10 there OP?
>>
>>56754194
Because they've always used real world locations as inspiration?
Even the Colosseum games used Arizona as a design inspiration for the Orre region
>>
>>56754194
Originality!!??
In a "fantasy" setting.
Bah!!
>>
>>56754194
"original" fantasy lands in general are always based on a real place
>>
>>56754318
You just repeated the question.
>>
>>56754194
Tajiri's Pokemon was literally just "what if real life had cool monsters to play with?" and Masuda turned the franchise into faux-reality fantasy slop
>>
>>56754194
it's just tradition at this point. if Gen 1 had been set in an original fantasy world, I'm sure they all would've been. but Kanto was inspired by the place they lived obviously, and was originally supposed to be a kind of alternate Japan. why? because they wanted to. at that point they didn't really have plans for the rest of the series and probably weren't thinking about where future games would be set, they were just focused on making a standalone setting and wanted it to be Japan. then when it came time to do a sequel they were like ok how do we one up ourselves, let's do all of Japan this time. and that ended up turning into Johto ofc. and I assume they just kept using real world locations because that's what they were used to
>>
>>56754342
Ok, which region is Helm's Deep based on?
>>
File: IMG_4594.jpg (627 KB, 1125x1314)
627 KB
627 KB JPG
>>56754423
>>
>>56754194
It's fun
>>
>>56754194
Because it's boring, all fantasy lands end up looking generic because they resort to the same tropes (Passio), whereas those that take a civilization as a base gradually take on their own identity, perhaps it's because limitations stimulate the imagination.

For example, what if I take the iconography of an American city from the end of the 19th century? but I add retrofuturistic technology, while keeping the extremist political and religious thinking of that time.
>>
>>56754452
>For example, what if I take the iconography of an American city from the end of the 19th century? but I add retrofuturistic technology, while keeping the extremist political and religious thinking of that time.
Anon, that's a original fantasy land.
And GF doesn't do this.
>>
Arcanine dex:
>A legendary Pokémon in China. Many people are charmed by its grace and beauty while running.

Raichu dex:
>Its electric charges can reach even 100,000 volts. Careless contact can cause even an Indian elephant to faint.

>Pokémon's Kanto also has the same name as Kanto in Japan.

In the beginning, the Pokemon world was literally our world and not a fictional place based on a place in Japan/country in the real world.
>>
Real worldfags are so obnoxious. They act as if the gen 1~2 references are some sort of deeply thought out world building when it's just the opposite.
Not to mention modern regions (bland tourist traps) are more like their real world counterparts than early ones.
The truth is that the pokemon world being or not the "real world" is irrelevant because all it amounted to was just a few references to real world locations.
>>
so tourist destinations can make that sweet seichi junrei moolah trust
>>
>>56754194
I was thought the locations were fictional as a kid.
>>
>>56754194
This came up before and the real answer is so Masuda and co can go on vacations to the real world places for "research"
That's why it's always nice places like Spain and France and not India or some other shithole
>>
>>56754194
No idea desu. Honestly the best regions were the first 4 where it felt like they experimented with them a bit more due to being familiar with the source material. I didn't even realize they were based on real world locations until I watched a video on YouTube just before Gen 6 was about to release. And then Kalos' inspiration was pretty obvious due to Prism Tower. I think they're too on the nose these days.
>>
>>56754194
because gayfreak has no imagination and masuda/ohmori just want an excuse to take a month long vacation to do some "research"
>>
>>56754194
because then they'd have to try
>>
File: Not Todd.jpg (46 KB, 500x430)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>56754194
Gen 10 takes place in Skyrim. But you didn't heard that from me
>>
>>56754998
>That's why it's always nice places like Spain and France and not India or some other shithole
That's also probably because Spain and France are among the biggest markets of Pokemon. However China and Korea are too and I doubt they'll ever set foot there kek
>>
>>56754432
Cool
>>
>>56754194
Because being real world+ has alwyas been part of the franchise.
If anything Pokemon has only become more fantastical as it went on.
In gen 1 you were literally in Japan and other normie countries existed too
>>
>>56754194
When done right taking inspiration from real life can enrich your world, make it feel lived in, and inspire new exciting ideas. When done poorly it sucks out all the creativity, is restrictive, and you feel like you're playing an edutainment game
>>
lmao dis nigga thinks france is real
>>
File: 1729647608109969[1].jpg (289 KB, 1280x720)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
>>56754481
I would like to see them create a Chinese region, at least just as a reference to use in the Pokedex of the four evils, Mienshao, Pacham, or Arcanine.

Something like "In the distant region of Xian, this Pokemon is raised and trained as a guardian of the temples" "This Pokemon was a gift from the Emperor of Xian to the King of Kalos, it was so popular among the nobility that the king ordered the creation of Bamboo forests just for this Pokemon" and the rest will be left to the imagination of the fandom.

>inb4 Japan hates China
I know it and I don't care, I don't want them to make a region for a game, it's enough for me just to have a couple of texts with lore and I know that Japan hates the Chinese people, but they love the history of imperial China.
>>
>>56755651
no thanks, the chinese eat eggs boiled in the piss of 10yr old boys, I don't want to imagine they would do with the regional execute variation
>>
File: sddefault[1].jpg (34 KB, 640x480)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>56755667
You do the same thing only with fast food.
>>
>>56754194
making it based on references of IRL, you can develop designs much faster and you don't need to decide over two ideas when the ref clearly shows you one thing. it's to be faster. muh money. muh release dates.
>>
>>56755818
Only I'm not memeing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_boy_egg

Virgin boy eggs are a traditional dish of Dongyang, Zhejiang, China in which eggs are boiled in the urine of young boys, preferably under the age of ten.

The dish is a longstanding tradition in Dongyang, China, dating back centuries.

Virgin boy eggs are widely accepted as a tradition in the city.[3] Boy egg vendors go to elementary schools in the city where they collect urine from young boys, preferably under the age of ten. Children who have been raised in the city are used to the practice, and relieve themselves in basins that the vendors place in the hallways.
>>
File: kansas.jpg (118 KB, 595x599)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
>>56755851
Who is memeing?
>>
>>56755874
you
>>
>>56755851
This but little girls.
>>
>>56755883
china hates girls, one child policy made them engage in infanticide if it wasnt a boy, its a bad investment
>>
>>56754194
Tradition
>>
>>56754194
Because gen 5 decided the series needed to be DEI slop

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.