[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 123125136.jpg (38 KB, 320x288)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
What's your comfort game, /vr/?
Just tell me what you like to play when you're feeling down.
What's the game you never get tired of, that's always waiting for you after a hard day? The old friend or comfy home away from home in your console or computer? Try to hold back on the fighting and arguing and just share the games that help get you through life, no matter how good or bad they might be or what other /vr/ posters think of them.
>>
File: WinKawaks_ZGawV2mQOQ.png (188 KB, 1216x896)
188 KB
188 KB PNG
>>10851251
ol' reliable MS3/X
>>
>help you get through life
my favorite game for that is sleep, I don't like playing video games when dealing with shit

if I had to pick one though it would be AlttP, for that feeling of being somewhere else, and the atmosphere of the dark world
>>
The storybook presentation, the thematic omnipresence of dreams and music, the against-the-odds narrative. It's just so airy and whimsical. Like a digital comfort blanket.
>>
>>10851251
I will play a comfort game if I'm too mentally fried to do anything more "valuable", but am too awake to just go to bed early. Pokemon almost fits that, but it's too slow and repetitive to keep me awake for long. Conversely, a game can't be too complicated or difficult or I won't be awake enough to perform well. My go-to games for this are:
Doom
Resident Evil 4
Baldur's Gate
>>10851290
Yeah if I'm having a tough time, video games are the last things on my mind.
>>
>>10851251
>white blue pink
tranny town
>>
Bionic Commando on the nes. You can even get a patch to remove the censorship!
>>
>>10851348
Me too! the ending is so sad though... you think you've been fighting against the end of the world but actually it's the opposite... gets me every time
>>
>>10851251
>Paper Mario 64
>Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
>Pokemon Crystal
>Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga
>Game and Watch Gallery 2
>Pokemon Pinball
One of these.
>>
>>10851251
are you a 70 year old woman, anon?
>>
File: gex3-10.png (37 KB, 320x240)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
>>10851251
Gex 3 for the PS1 is one of them. Always tends to bring up memories of my 4th grade year in 1999 since thats when I first rented it. Cool level designs too
>>
File: nes_tetris.png (43 KB, 767x670)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
It's just perfect.
>>
Final Fantasy 7. I reply it every year or so. It was the first game I beat as a kid that no one else in my family could and it was the first time I beat an RPG.

Sonic Advance holds a special place in my heart too for more mobile gaming.
>>
GTA San Andreas
>>
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town is one of mine. Courting the barkeep’s daughter currently. I always name the puppy after my old dog who passed a few years back. I like to carry him around and put him in the various barns and pens so he can hang out with his buddies. I like the daily routine of watering the plants, harvesting the honey, petting/brushing the animals and collecting eggs. Not a perfect game by any means but as far as “comfy” factor goes it’s near the top for me. Also fun to play without a guide as there is a ton of things to unlock and random encounters to trigger.
>>
>>10851397
>>10851778
I hope you learn to be happy someday.
>>
>>10851762
based
>>
File: download.jpg (12 KB, 225x225)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>10851251
There's this sensation about it. It makes me feel happy, nostalgic. Maybe it was because this is the game that defined my taste in vidya. Maybe because of the OST, or the fact that it has effort put into it. The game is genuinely fun, and even the newer games with more polished graphics failed to capture the same sensation.

The sense of achievement after beating the game with the Expert mode team is amazing, turning the dumpster on fire team into the champion, is nothing short of awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBWKwbjj020&list=PL6PHQCxAqpJTLqJjrDXhr_rXx0ta5rv4M

I present to you the OST, which I listen to at least 3 to 4 times per year.

The game, I play it at least twice a year.
>>
>>10852686
You keep posting this here when I think you should be deep in twitter replies.
>>
File: chuck.png (816 KB, 1932x1453)
816 KB
816 KB PNG
>>10852686
https://www.jstor.org/stable/40064955
Sneed
>>
>when you're feeling down.
I'm always feeling like shit so any game I guess
>>
>>10852830
tl;dr of that article: ignorance is bliss. Conservatives are like puppies, happy and totally unaware of the dangers around them, until they personally get hit by a car.
>>
>>10851251
Freelancer
I replay that shit at least once a year.
>>
>>10851759
I am almost totally emotionally absent, and the ending still made me tear up the first three times I finished the game. It's not even a great story (it's not bad, either), it's just astoundingly well presented.
>>
>>10851397
>don't these colors remind you of something? don't they remind you of... trannies? the culture war? trannies? the culture war? trannies? the culture war? trannies? trannies. the culture war. trannies.
I'm so fucking sick of this planet
>>
>>10853776
What's even funnier is that we're on a board specifically devoted to a culture that's already come and gone. There's nothing to be fought over. It's already set in stone.
>>
>>10851251
Not sure if I'd call it comfort games but I replay old harry potter games every few years just for the atmosphere, music and exploration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9Islm9BdI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bvfsAFezJI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrgNj6A6cnw
>>
>>10851251
Final Fantasy XII. Mindlessly chaining monsters or collecting treasures never fails to put me at ease. Also, Kirby's Adventure because it's one of the few action games I'm not too dumb to beat, and it's so cute. I never fail to smile a little no matter what is happening.
>>
>>10853776
Keep your filters updated so you can minimize tonal whiplash
>>
Harvest Moon is nice
>>
>>10851251
I fell out of Pokemon almost completely after Gen 2, but there's still something immaculately comfy about the original games. It really transports me back to the late 90's/early 00's in a way little else can, not even things that meant more to me, or contemporary games I liked better. I suppose my brief but intense fascination with the series left an indelible mark on my soul. I see myself back in my childhood bedroom, or my elementary school library, or even at Burger King. I hear those chiptunes like a eulogy for my innocence. Gengar was my favorite, as a mischievous little imp who loved ghosts. I never had a link cable or friends I could trade with, though, so I never got to have one for myself. At least Haunter's sprite in Red and Blue genuinely looked cooler.
>>10851762
Damn fine taste. Paper Mario 64 just feels like home. I think that would have to be my choice for this thread, even though Super Mario RPG was my favorite (of the Mario RPGs and every video game I've played, to this day).
>>10851890
It was a few years later for me, but I rented this one, too. I have to play through the first level every Christmas season. The second, Mystery TV, is my favorite in the whole game. Gex takes me back to that same childhood bedroom, but it feels a lot smaller, if no less comforting. A cozier time after some not-so-cozy ones, when I had only just started exploring the Internet. I always rented it alongside Super Metroid and Kirby Super Star, so they all take me back there.
>>10852308
That would be one of my little half-brother's comfort games, I think, but I fondly remember a sunny late afternoon in front of it with him. A Horse With No Name is what really takes me to that particular memory due to the soundtrack.
>>
File: gtasa.jpg (141 KB, 640x906)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
>>10851251
Good stress reliever.
>>
halflife. it just feels like home.
>>
File: dk.png (1.98 MB, 1351x758)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB PNG
There's nothing comfier than picking some map with gemstones that can be easily sealed off and then slowly building a huge dungeon.
>>
File: unnamed-1.png (4 KB, 256x224)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
The first Ninja Gaiden. I know it inside out so it's just a comfy playthrough despite its "hardcore" reputation.
>>
File: bt2.png (681 KB, 600x900)
681 KB
681 KB PNG
I have a few. Any PS1 Spyro, Burnout 3, DBZ Budokai 3, but here lately pic related has been doing it for me. I know 3's got more going for it mechanically and in regards to roster but this game oozes fuckin SOVL. The OST is so unique yet still captures DB very well. I will never not be salty that BT3 resorted to mostly generic rock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKrmBxqGwE0
>>
File: IMG_5059.jpg (396 KB, 1508x2100)
396 KB
396 KB JPG
There no game like it, wish there was a sequel. Also has a groovy soundtrack.
>>
Always and forever
>>
Pokemon GSC and Sims 1
>>
>>10853776

I'm sick of trannies, not the planet.
>>
tony hawk 2 or skate 3
>>
>>10851278
Tell me you’re Brazilian without telling me.
>>
>>10853969
this kind of looks like dk64. I like it.
>>
>>10851251
pokemon gen1 is so comfy.
>>
File: 6_OWPBrdh.jpg (98 KB, 1440x900)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
I play chaos theory once every year or so. There's just not another stealth game that does it for me like chaos theory. Especially the multiplayer at the time. Miss those days.
>>
>>10851251
Donkey Kong Country 1 or either of the RE Outbreak games.
>>
File: medusa_bay.gif (1.73 MB, 320x224)
1.73 MB
1.73 MB GIF
>>10851251
Unironically Ecco the Dolphin.
>>
File: doooooooom.jpg (175 KB, 811x500)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>
you know, its odd. i have never 100%ed it, havent yet finished ganons castle, but i always love completing it as much as possible. the atmosphere, music, scenery, its wonderful to just run around and sink into its lush world. sure the movement is ass, you feel like you're wasting time when it gets tedious, but it rarely does. I love and cherish this game, even though i have yet to finish ganon's castle. im gonna do that sometime. other than ocarina of time, my favorite comfort game is fire emblem 7.
>>
>>10851251
Usually it's Unreal
The song that plays when you first leave the ship always hits just right
Or the first Ridge Racer
>>
>>10851251
Is it weird I don't feel like playing comfort games anymore? They just don't help anymore.
>>
File: grab the rope.png (141 KB, 2172x1319)
141 KB
141 KB PNG
>>10852956
>tl;dr of that article: ignorance is bliss. Conservatives are like pupp- ACK!
>>
The fucking perfect game to zone out to. Games just aren't pretty like this anymore.
>>
Sonic is always fun. The games are pretty easy usually and I used to play them as a kid.
>>
File: heliport.jpg (428 KB, 1920x1080)
428 KB
428 KB JPG
MGS1, I love the atmosphere of it and it's easy to just pick up and play, same goes for SOTN, Link's Awakening, and Ocarina of Time.
>>
I can just mellow out and replay or do test runs in JSRF for hours. JSR requires more precision but Future is almost idiot-proof with the controls.
JSR/Future are the only two skating games I could really get into, and the aesthetics are a big reason why. It's just pleasing to look at. And the music, while I'm starting to burn out on it after two decades, is still cool, especially the mixes in certain chapters. Skating in the sewers to Hello Allison is such a warm memory to me.
>>
>>10851251
Star Ocean 2
FF VII
Pokémon: Gold Version
>>
Kirby's Dream Course is comfy even though it's hard. It kind of helps it not be totally braindead. It lets you play at your own pace and there isn't any dialogue to pay attention to.
>>
The Mario All-Stars plus collection. Don't have to change carts or anything. Really good way to just be a couch potato and not think about anything for 24 hours while I beat every game on it once.
>>
>>10861024
It's NFS Carbon for me, but damn, that really is a good looking game.
>>
>>10862462
Carbon is so fucking shallow compared to most wanted or any other NFS title.
>Complete the game
>Here, have fun using your level 3 cars for nothing because nothing is left to do
Carbon was a huge fail
>>
>>10851251
Ffvii or oot, maybe gta3
>>
>>10862656
I agree. I just like driving around in it because the night city aesthetic and the soundtrack are nice. It's a bad game with a corny story and kinda uninteresting driving, but it's comfy.
>>
Roller Coaster Tycoon will always be a classic no matter what
>>
>>10851348
Your a furry, we get it.
>>
>>10851251
Any of the snes and ps1 final fantasies
Any persona game
Pokemon gens 2 and 3 (my favorite gens)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.