[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: PS2 Slim.jpg (22 KB, 487x630)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
https://github.com/DKWDRV/DKWDRV/releases/tag/1.7.4
A Slim PS2 is needed, so Phatfags will still have to cope with burning/POPStarter. Still, big news!
>>
>>10853145
Holy based. wait a sec I got to see if capcom generations disc 2 will work with this
>>
so you can put ps1 games on hard-drive?
>>
File: 1712457152916865.png (366 KB, 719x719)
366 KB
366 KB PNG
>>10853145
>No XA/CDDA sounds effect yet. That is a WIP and it will be added in the future. This means that BMG, FMV audio and other SFX might be missing from the game.
Playstation, but without the soul.
>>
>>10853150
Works like a charm except from a few tracks and sound effects that don't play.
>>
Wait, what????
>>10853305
FUCK, what's the point then
>>
File: 1415032283455.jpg (309 KB, 1200x848)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
So this is for running ps1 games from usb via the ps1 hardware within the ps2?
That being said
>Deckard consoles
so its still emulation unlike the CHAD PHATS
>>
File: 1627132755834.png (70 KB, 850x665)
70 KB
70 KB PNG
>>10853145
dumb question as I only understand the surface specs but is there some reason fat PS2s running OPL/FreeMCBoot can't load PS1 games off the front USB port? I know the PS1's CPU is used for the rear I/O and sound processing normally and downclocked when playing a PS1 game, hence no HDD support, but the front port should have more than enough bandwidth for PS1 games, no?
>>
>>10853508
DECKARD uses a different CPU for I/O which then emulates the PS1 CPU when running a PS1 game. The emulation layer is in software so it's emulation behaviour can be altered, which is how loading games from USB is done.
>>
>>10853478
Music plays for Daimakaimura only.
>>
How is this any different from Popstarter?
>>
>>10854329
Instead of using an emulator like popstarter, this method is actually using the built in backwards compatibility of the ps2.
>>
>>10854334
DECKARD (the reason this only works on Slims) is emulation, it's just lightyears better than POPStarter
>>
>>10854329
It's being actively developed, for starters.
>>
>>10853145
>A Slim PS2 is needed
No, at least 7500x slim PS2 is needed. 70000 series (the last one with the real PS1 CPU) is not supported and can not be supported.
>USB game loading(beta). DECKARD consoles only.
>>
>>10853145
Haha, happens just days after I flashed MechaPwn and burned some PS1 CDs. I'll make sure to test how it compares after I get home today.
>>
>>10853508
It's not the USB 1.0 bandwidth that's the limit, it's CPU frequency and (I suppose) no room in memory to keep the homebrew code AND the game in 2 MB of its RAM. DECKARD is not only >10 times faster than IOP (the real PS1 CPU), but has its own 2 MB of RAM, half of which remains free for the USB loader. It can handle I/O and PS1 emulation at the same.

https://gist.github.com/uyjulian/52a407f52ba968f62e34966586cdddfd
https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps2/IOP/Deckard
>>
Full list of ps2 versions supported?
>>
>>10853145
>Slim PS2
so it's just another shit tier emulator then, got it
>>
>>10853145
wow its fucking nothing
>>
File: qdhkyrinpwn71.jpg (112 KB, 1242x691)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
>>10853145
Any kind of hdd/usb loading is a bunch of fucking bullshit. They have to emulate the way the data gets from optical drive to board, so it introduces a bunch of horrible glitches to games (one famous example is a crash in ace combat 5, music not playing bugs etc)

It's a completely insane thing to shill these bullshit softwares which are unironically inferior to just full on emulation. So many games will have bugs and crashes

The best method to play ps2 games without buying og discs is fdvdb patcher and burnt dvd-r. So you know the games actually play properly.

All fucking bullshit, stop using this stupid trash. The only method for 6th gen and before consoles will always be disc burning methods. We are just waiting for esr patcher on fat ps2 now and then we are good for eternity
>>
ok so you can load isos on a usb into an emulator

who cares?

make a thread when it works with an actual ps1 or fat ps2

oh wait you can't because it'll never happen without hardware mods
>>
>>10855156
OPL works fine for me with a real network adapter with SATA mod installed. Stop using bootleg Gamestar shit.
>>
>>10855156
>The only method for 6th gen and before consoles will always be disc burning methods
Gamecube and Dreamcast have multiple ODEs, Xbox can load games off its HDD flawlessly. It's only the PS2 that's stuck in OPL/DVD-R ghetto hell.
>>
>>10855173
>uggh, can't believe I'm stuck loading games at super speed off a sata ssd without even having to mod my ps2
>>
>>10855189
Many games don't work. OPL sucks.
>>
>>10855198
if you say so, I never had a game not work
>>
If you're just going to emulate then why use a shitty emulator built into a slim PS2? Might as well use an RPi or some shit.
>>
>>10855230
>shitty
it has near 100% compatibility, works with real PS1 controllers, memory cards, and all types of analog video out.
>>
>>10855240
lmao sure kid a 300mhz cpu is able to emulate the PS1 perfectly keep believing that
>>
I've started testing it. In some games Blueretro just straight up doesn't work (and the music is missing, but that's to be expected based on that disclaimer), which is a deal breaker for me. It works fine in the same games launched from actual CDs.
>>
>>10853145
Nice. Are there any solutions to boot bootleg PSX CDs using a PS2 yet? On OG Playstation you can do it with a few memory card hacks nowadays, but what about on the PlayStation 2 Slim? Popstarter sucks for two reasons: A) some games don't work properly or freeze (from the ones I play, Harvest Moon: Back to Nature freezes randomly while accessing the memory card and losing a whole day of in-game progress sucks big time) and B) controllers other than the gamepad don't work. I like the PS1 fishing games as an example, but can't connect my ASCII rod if using Popstarter, it won't detect it.
>>
I've never had any luck burning cd's for a console, except for slim ps2

i have a fat ps2
and a fat (japan) ps2

that's all i really need
the major psx releases are on ps3, ps4 and steam anyway
and many of them are better on saturn
>>
>>10855409
>from the ones I play, Harvest Moon: Back to Nature freezes randomly while accessing the memory card and losing a whole day of in-game progress sucks big time
Hugopocked's patch should fix this.
>>10855230
The resolution is fucked on the Pi when using analog cables, it only does 720x240 not 320x240
>>
>>10855409
MechaPwn will allow you to boot pirate CDs. At least it does on my model: >>10820243
>>
>>10855525
I'll look into this, thank you.

>>10855521
Thank you too anon, but that won't change the situation with the official PSX peripherals. I'll try to see if what the other anon suggested will work on my model.
>>
Oh boy I can play PS1 games inaccurately on non-native hardware another way
>>
>>10855198
Like what
>>
>>10855409
TonyHax works on ilink equipped fat PS2s because as far as the console is concerned it's a PS1 once it starts a PS1 game, but the problem is even though it has most of the original hardware the PS2 still does have sets of compatibility hacks for different games so you're stuck with the boot configuration of the game you're exploiting with and will get compatibility issues that don't normally happen with PS1 on PS2. It's especially a problem for games from different regions.
>>
>>10854413
Yeah, the slims simply don't have the hardware to play these games without emulation in the first place when compared to the fat models.
The PS2 in true PS1 mode would disable the USB ports which is why you have to burn discs for MechaPwn or Tonyhax.
As much as I wish we could play PS1 games off a hard drive or USB like with OPL, there's not much point if it's going to be strictly emulating the games anyways.
>>
>>10855709
>there's not much point if it's going to be strictly emulating the games anyways.
My PC is not connected to my CRT through SCART RGB though.
>>
>>10855715
Sure, but mine is. If you just want to emulate games to pipe them into a CRT there are solutions for that. If you don't have any other means to play PS1 games on a CRT then it has its utility, but I'd much sooner burn the games to play on real hardware.
>>
>>10855727
The problems with real PS1 hardware are:
a) optical drives shit the bed after some time and ODEs are expensive (PS2 doesn't become a brick even after the optical drive fails provided you have FMCB installed);
b) I live in Europe so most PS1's out here can't natively output 60Hz signals, requiring mods;
c) getting a PS1 means also getting one more SCART cable and one more splitter for my TV or switching the cable between it and PS2, which is just not very convenient;
d) PS1 takes up space when I can just play the same games on my PS2;
PS2 is more cost-effective and more convenient, a good middle ground between software emulation on PC and an actual PS1.
>>
>>10855783
Yeah, that's why I just go halfsies and use Tonyhax on a PS2 fat. In an ideal world we would be loading PS1 games off a USB or hard drive and playing them with the PS1 hardware that those early PS2s have.
>>
>>10855173
>>10855167

The odes and hdds are all inauthentic and introduce glitches and problems. Stop this trash
>>
>>10856682
ODE's do no do that
you're smoking rocks
>>
>>10855173
>It's only the PS2 that's stuck in OPL/DVD-R ghetto hell.

Maybe for PS1 games. PS2 games use OPL and a HDD.
>>
>>10856682
>The odes and hdds introduce glitches and problems
Show proof.
>>
>>10855783
>b) I live in Europe so most PS1's out here can't natively output 60Hz signals, requiring mods;
Outputting through SCART works around the colours being black and white when you change the mode in freepsxboot.
It won't be perfect without a dual frequency oscillator because it's running at 59.23hz but it's close
>>
File: 1712587757375864.gif (3.97 MB, 384x480)
3.97 MB
3.97 MB GIF
>>10853145
How good's the compatibility? Can it run Monkey Hero and VibRibbon? (the two white whales)
>>
>>10856794
>Outputting through SCART works around
At the cost of turning the screen into a chessboard; get a DFO
>>
File: ardilla shota.jpg (490 KB, 964x1188)
490 KB
490 KB JPG
What console from the late 1990's and early 2000's would this boy have?
>he hates nintendo
>he hates pokemon
>He hates Game Boy
>he hates the nintendo 64 and the gamecube
>he hates zelda
>He has the most anti-Nintendo console of all
>>
>>10854795
Should I go for a 790xx or 750xx?
>>
Can I use this program to load backup discs on a fat PS2?
>>
>>10853145
>Phatfags will still have to cope with burning/POPStarter
Yes, coping with the fact that they can achieve the full data transfer speed required to get games to run properly.
>>
>>10856935
The PS2's USB ports are faster than a PS1 optical drive lol
>>
>>10856935
The USB 1.1 read speed is only a problem for PS2 games. PS1 games sail under that data transfer rate.
>>
>>10856856
psdevwiki says that Sony updated PS1 emulator configs in 770xx, so a 79k should be better than a 75k in theory. In practice get whichever is in the better condition. If you had access to any non-70k slim, you should be getting a 90k from the earliest batches with yet unpatched BIOS that's still FMCB-compatible.

Potentially affected games:
https://web.archive.org/web/20231031001701/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_games_incompatible_with_PlayStation_2
>>
I just want a proper ode bros, I dont care if it ends up being a hard soldering job
Imagine a 1tb SD card filled with ps2 AND ps1 kino, all running over component
>>
>slim
oh well. that was nearly exciting news for a second.
>>
>>10859585
>All running over component
Best that can be done is an HDMI mod, take it or leave it.
>>
>>10856812
CDDA and disc swapping aren't implemented yet so Vib Ribbon would not practically be playable at all.
>>
>>10853145
This would be cool to try if I had a slim PS2, but I don't because they haven't been useful for pirating games until now.
If I pick one up, I'll get a later one compatible with this, at least.
>>
Is there a hope in hell left for phatfags? Deckard's emulation layer getting ported over? That one gringo making Popstarter patches making it miraculously better? It's not looking good bros
>>
>>10861527
ODEs will save us, trust the plan.
>>
>>10861569
Said ODEs will be way easier to use on a slim too lol, just open the disc door and put a SD card in, no real hassle opening the PS2 up to install it either compared to a fat
>>
>>10861670
But what if you want to pirate old Japanese shovelware that uses i.LINK or the hard drive? Where will your god be then, slimfags?
>>
>>10861676
Sounds about as pedantic as the people that screech about the Satiator not letting them play the MPEG version of Lunar even though a non-MPEG one exists
>>
>>10861687
Exactly, it's completely valid and people without an MPEG card are coping.
>>
>>10861676
Simple. I will buy the 70k slim and the HDD resurrector mod for it.
>>
>>10855147
Let the slimfags have something for once.
>>
>>10859585
OPL already lets you use any sized HDD/SSD after an update in the last year or so. There's really no motive for anybody to develop and ODE and probably never will be.
>>
I wish loading PS2 games over the network worked a little better. I upgraded to the latest version of OPL ("latest" being a relative term here, it was one newer than the version I got on a memory card from ebay) but it didn't seem to help, it's still very hit or miss.
>>
>>10861371
>CDDA

Wait, so I can play the Wipeouts with shit sick soundtracks?
>>
>>10861907
*Can't play Wipeout or rollcage or any of the other CDDA games?
>>
>>10853145
>mfw all the games I want to play on my PS2 work fine via POPstarter

I think I won, bros.
>>
>>10861914
They just won't have music for the time being.
>>
>>10853145
I tipped my man HugoPocked well for getting Vagrant Story, FFVII, Parasite Eve 2, and Alien Resurrection for getting popstarter to run these games no problem, why should I care about this? My phat switches out games based on sd card with a reader bluetacked on the outside and a 256 USB loaded with anime, PS2 and PS1 games than run full speed
>>
>>10853145
>cope with burning
Don't mind if I do. I find optical media particularly soulful.
>>
>>10861919
That sucks though.
>>
>>10862442
Man fuck CDR prices
>>
Replacing your hardware's disc drive with an SD card reader is like primitive tribes who castrate the women's clitori.
>>
yikes

if I wanted to emulate ps1 games I'd at least use a quality emulator, not a slim ps2

just sounds like the clunkiest way to emulate ps1 games possible
>>
>>10853145
doesnt the OPLoader or whatever do that already? in any PS2 model?
>>
>>10863809
This and POPStarter are both mods of official emulators, but this is a better one that uses different hardware.
>>
File: 61duebEytpL.jpg (89 KB, 1601x1601)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
PS2 USB ports went useless as soon this thing was created
>>
>Deckard models (end of 2005 onwards) only
I sleep
>>
Just ran some tests on some games using an HDTV that is capable of switching between 240 and 480 without any interruption.

>Clock Tower 2 (Japan) - Intro FMV doesn't have any sound but that's been documented with Deckard so far. Everything else worked fine.

>Nemuru Mayu - FMVs also don't have sound and a few sound effects are missing but everything else works just fine. Tested this one since it uses a lot of the PS1s resources plus a significant portion of the gameplay is reliant on timing, and there wasn't any imput lag at all.

>Magic Castle - Tested this one as it's a homebrew title. Worked flawlessly.

>Parappa the Rapper - Failed to boot

>LSD Dream Emulator - Everything runs except FMV audio. The infamous river texture glitch isn't present as seen with old emulators like ePSXe

>Doki Oki - This one does not run well on POPStater at all. All the audio was really choppy to the point where it was unbearable, but Deckard has it working flawlessly. FMV audio was missing as well.

If the XA/CDDA functionality gets finished and they get a few other fixes implemented, this easily could be the best way to run PS1 games on the PS2 apart from playing the game disc itself.
>>
>>10864591
Doing God's work, anon. That being said, Tonyhax would appear to be the best method at the moment if your inclined to use burned CD-Rs (didn't even know it worked on slims till this thread).
>>
>>10864591
Is framerate/performance 1:1 to the real thing?
>>
>emulate ps1 games via usb
whoa, it's nothing
>>
>>10865081
Seemed like it in my opinion. There weren't any stutters or drops in framerate that weren't intentional. Just the lack of audio in a lot of places is the biggest annoyance really.
>>
>>10862247
Hugo is the unsung hero of the ps2 scene
>>
>>10864610
Tonyhax only works on fat model PS2s. Namely SCPH-39000 and below.

For slim PS2s, you'll want to install MechaPwn for burnt PS1 games.
>>
>>10861859
OPL devs refuse to update stable build so just use the latest beta build https://github.com/ps2homebrew/Open-PS2-Loader/releases/tag/latest
and you will need to enable certain compatibility modes for certain games but looking up all those suck so just dump all these premade configs into the CFG folder in your PS2 smb share https://github.com/GDX-X/PS2-OPL-CFG-Database

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.