[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is it harder than many kids games nowadays? I'm curious to know if it's harder than say, the kids games on the Switch like the newer Mario games and such
>>
>>10856226
Classical games are challenging because that’s what people wanted. Nintendo’s gotten easier to accommodate users and they’ve mentioned this, as their Japanese contemporaries. Everyone else in the west are more interested in movie games
>>
>>10856226
Yes.
>>
>>10856226
>the kids games on the Switch like the newer Mario games and such
I beat Mario Odyssey, Wonder and Mario vs. DK (remake) recently.
I have not beat Little Sampson (yet).

One reason that newer games are easier is the utiliziation of lives/continues. You essentially never lose progress and have to start over at the beginning of the world, only the level. You can die an infinite amount of times and still be exactly where you were.

Some games, like DK Country, are easy too given that you have 5 lives after you restart but as long as you've hit a save point, you can try forever and not lose progress either.
>>
Some recent Mario games can actually get pretty challenging during their bonus post-game content, but as suggested previously, this difficulty is often mitigated by easy extra life acquisition and minimal loss of progress incurred by deaths. Granted, a lot of people who pick up older games these days are doing so with emulators, so they're more likely to make use of savestates, so the original difficulty curve isn't really experienced as intended.
>>
>>10856226
Is this game actually good?
>>
>>10856612
>bonus post-game content,
they need to go back to super mario bros and have a hard mode unlock that makes the whole game hard instead of just a couple of hard levels
>>
>>10856226
Kids games are super easy now
>>
>According to a 2015 study conducted by Nintendo of America and Japan, 70% of modern 6~9'YO kids couldn't finish SMB1's level 1-1 before getting a GameOver
grim
>>
>>10860335
Parentcel here, kids games are notably easier nowadays. My 6 year old, who has been playing video games in some shape or form for 2 years now plays Super Mario 3D World probably daily. Almost every level he uses the crutch White Tanooki suit and I wouldn't consider it a hard game by any standard.
He likes retro games too, especially Mario but he STRUGGLES with it. I could beat Mario 1 at the same age. He does OK with Sonic games but those tend to be more forgiving with the ring system.
>>
>>10860367
My youngest kid who's almost seven loves 3D World as well, but I don't think she grabs the crutch suit every time.

I've noticed though that my youngest kid, my older kid who's 9, and even their mother cannot fucking run and jump. It's like, they can't comprehend holding one button down and pressing the other by just rolling your thumb. I'm assuming it's because I was playing NES/SNES/Genesis/Game Boy and their mother didn't really start playing games until the PS1 era, but it's something I've noticed that sort of blows my mind. I believe she ended up dropping MM 3 because jumping, shooting, and sliding was too much.

Though my oldest kid has gotten to like World 3 in the original SMB because I told the kids one day I'd give them fifty cents for each level they beat.
>>
>>10860520
Yeah, I hear you on the running thing. I don't think my thumb ever really leaves the run button if I play Mario but my kid can't wrap his head around it. He was playing the latest TMNT game and getting him to do jumping attacks was a massive ordeal.
>>
>>10856226
Is Super Mario World harder than most modern games for kids? I ask this because Mario World was considered easy when it first came out, like it was considered easier than the NES Mario games
>>
>>10860335
Crazy part is that they're getting a game over, as in they died at least 3 times on 1-1.
>>
>>10860575
Probably considering you can game over and lose progress. You don't lose anything from a game over in modern Mario except having to restart a level.
>>
>>10860335
>>10860367
I used to struggle with the NES games I had at ~6 but I still played them. I used to play hours of Ninja Gaiden II but I'd only progress a couple of levels. I don't think I ever saw a second level of Journey to Silius but I would still play it because it was cool.
>>
Depends on the game obviously
>>
>>10860520
>>10860534
>>10860335
Children have high neuroplasticity. Sounds like bullshit to me.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.