[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Not only is this game outstanding on its own merits, it's all the more impressive for being the first in what would have been an iterative installment. Now, if it had gotten sequels, it would probably be looked back upon as diminutively as other first installments, so I can't exactly make a meaningful comparison between it and other first installments in fighting games. But I still think it's damn impressive.
>>
>>10856871
MotW is not that good
>>
>>10857034
wrong
>>
It's good but the lack of plane switching make it seem less Fatal Fury-ish
>>
>>10857071
The series already experimented with that in Dominated Mind and it was pretty well received, which probably led to the change. I never saw line swine as a big benefit to the game. It was fine, not bad, take it or leave it. If there's something I miss it's probably ring-outs.
>>
k.. thanks chatgpt
>>
>>10857072
>line swine
.....sway
>>
>>10857072
>Dominated mind
It was just because the PS1 couldnt handle the plane switching, Saturn port of RBS is almost arcade perfect.
I think with garou they just wanted to simplify the formula but in Japan, FFS is still the most beloved entry.
Plane switching definitely adds a unique element that sets it apart from SF.
>>
File: ROTOR.gif (45 KB, 165x107)
45 KB
45 KB GIF
>rotor cancels two full bars in literal seconds
>hits you with a raw super, which he then proceeds to combo into another super for 60% of your life
How do you respond without sounding mad?
>>
>>10857059
Right.
Barely any competitive scene, uninteresting game system. It's only renembered for its graphics which are not even on the SFIII level.
>>
>>10857098
>Barely any competitive scene
You can say that for a lot of really good older games but guess what, they do still have scenes, which should serve as testament to their quality and legacy. And let's be real, that's the only part of it someone like you is concerned about.
>>
>>10857104
Okay okay you won the argument
>>
>>10857089
What's a tier list for this game look like? I want to play Butt
>>
File: images (65).jpg (27 KB, 917x293)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>10857118
It looks like this.
>>
File: my-image(4).png (235 KB, 950x462)
235 KB
235 KB PNG
>>10857118
Ignore >>10857134 , that list is not fully accurate.

Butt is pretty damn good, really strong shoto with a great set of typical shoto specials (fireball, dp, tatsu) with a command dash on top of it. His main issue is he gets his best damage from break canceling his DP, which is not consistent so it can be easy to mistime and drop a game winning juggle into super. Definitely a solid character for learning the game.
>>
>>10857134
>>10857212
Grant is S/banned tier
>>
>>10857118
>>10857134
>>10857212
No tier list will ever be 100% perfect, basically all that matters is that Kevin is at the top and Freeman is at the bottom
https://www.neo-geo.com/forums/index.php?threads/official-complete-japanese-tier-list-for-mark-of-the-wolves.95027/
Here's a list made by Japanese players

>>10857219
I don't think I have ever seen a tournament where Grant is banned
>>
>>10857118
Kevin is easily the best character in the game but the only "bad" ones are Freeman (decent pokes but literally has one useful special move) and Tizoc (has a bug where opponents can ruin any of your tick throw attempts as soon as they get meter)
>>
>>10857118
I'd rather play with Mai's butt, but sadly she didn't make it into MotW. Imagine the down+D jiggle on a mid-30s Mai.
>>
>>10857964
Aren't throw punishes what Tizoc lacks reliably due to the throw bug? Tics should still work.
>>
I really dislike the character designs in this. Butt is funny karate nig and you have the mexican wrestler. I guess discount Mai mixed with Tron Bonne pirate chick is alright. Everyone else looks so unappealing. You wouldn't even recognize that's Terry from a pic alone. South Town even looks boring as a setting now if that is even what it's supposed to set in.
>>
>>10857098
Just gotta say, that's the faggoest reasoning I've heard in a long time for dismissing a game.
>>
Do you understand this is just Fatal Fury 5
>>
>>10858513
It's the first and only in what would have been an iterative installment if SNK didn't go under.
>>
>>10857098
This is it. I like many of the SNK fighters. Many SNK fighters introduced unique and new ideas. motw offered nothing, special, nothing unique, nothing new. It is hard to explain how homogenized and bland it is.
>>
rock is just so cool bros
>>
>>10856871
It's solid but the roster is way too small.
>>
>>10859020
Breaks, stagger on CH, JDs and how they work with guard cancels, the overall prevalence of health regen... There's not only a bunch of unique elements but ones that would serve as foundations for what other games would do later.
>>
>>10859020
Yep. MotW is basically SNK making something to try and pull SF players, it's obvious and not great. Last Blade is far better.
>>
>>10858961
For once I'm a little glad SNK went under. Their games since have been shit.
>>
>>10862758
You hear this about MotW a lot as if 80 percent of SNK's lifetime output wasn't copying Street Fighter, and in the most distinctive fashion regarding SF and fighting games as a whole, Garou and SF are not that alike. SF is characterized by tight, precise, if not rigid controls, ESPECIALLY 3, whereas Garou plays smooth as melted butter.

I'm sorry but all these takes against this game reek of the average /vr/ poster who played arcade mode once then never touched it, ergo they put old Fatal Fury on this pedestal because "line sway is so unique u gaiz" even though as someone who's really played the games with other people, it contributes NOTHING meaningful to the actual game other than maybe making Billy Kane less of a nightmare to fight against. Crouch walking is more interesting than line sway was. I wonder if you people can even do a breakshot, because this board has been full of the most vanilla and basic retro hipster takes about Fatal Fury as you can get lately, to the point that I question how much any of you have really played the games. RBFF2 is some good shit, so I suggest you really play it if all you've been doing is paying lipservice to the old games or dickriding what the Japanese still play in arcades or whatever.
>>
>>10864192
>ESPECIALLY 3
Stopped reading here, lmao.
>>
>>10864210
This is a really weird reaction, there is absolutely nothing controversial about saying SF3 has very tight controls.
>>
>>10864192
No amount of good mechanics will fix the fact it has a shitty roster.
>>
>>10864228
Rosterfagging is a great way to advertise you don't actually play these games.
>>
>>10864281
>dude you should still totally love this game from that series you like that completely removed all the characters you like and the moves they had except for like one guy
No.
>>
>>10864318
Sokkaku is based but other than him those characters are all playable in about a dozen different KoFs. Not that you play that either.
>>
>>10864337
I only play fighting games I actually enjoy.
>>
>>10864393
no u
>>
File: Terry Bogard_772.png (1 KB, 96x112)
1 KB
1 KB PNG
that's what I thought
>>
File: sherm118.gif (167 KB, 400x150)
167 KB
167 KB GIF
>>10864192
I don't outright dislike MotW but it's always felt like SF3 New Generations that never got it's Third Strike. But also I've never been a big Fatal Fury fan to start with, my love of SNK is mostly for KoF with it's huge rosters and team play. Ot does some cool stuff, but always felt limited and outside of B Jenette, Terry and Rock it feels bland. At least Last Blade felt a little different.
>>
>>10866983
Well yeah, that's absolutely what it is, and was the operating idea behind me making the thread--I think it's very impressive for being the "New Gen" of its respective iteration and still having the richness it does in systems and character variety. It has a lot of quirks, a lot of things that sound stupid on paper, a lot of things to look past in concept, that I was willing to do simply for the game feeling as good to control as it did at first, then come to find as I play that all the stuff that sounds stupid is either adding dimensions to the game or are just flatout fun whether they're dumb or not.

This, and the fact that Garou happens to fill a niche ordinarily reserved for games like ST which are a woefully diminished breed. I don't know what it is about it, something about the speed and how frequently interactions occur between players, how much of the game is nickel and diming stray hits in between doing BIG damage when you capitalize, it's like ST. I think it was even billed by some fans in the early 2000s as a game for Capcom players who weren't happy with SF3 deviating so much from SF2. Guess it's a kind of sad thing that it had to compromise some of its former identity to better fit into a different mold, but I think it was time to make a move like that; the previous style of games had run their course imo. By RB2 they were already paring off elements like ring outs and the three-line system, even more so by Dominated Mind, so the change was more procedural, I think, than many posts itt would suggest. Those games are still good though.
>>
>>10866983
>that never got it's Third Strike.

third strike has massively downgraded backgrounds

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.