[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

This right here is my favourite game of all time. It has flaws, like any other game, but I don't understand one thing about old games, especially in this period and maybe middle 2000s.

Why are there so many spider enemies? Not only in this game but Diablo, Thief, Blood just to name a few more popular games. I don't have a problem with them, they're the right amount of scary and dangerous but why spiders and not snakes or bats or rats or something else.
>>
>>10857752
spiders are easy to animate and always look cool
snakes and bats are hard to animate and always look ridiculous
aren't rats pretty common though?
>>
>>10857787
Meh, snakes look cool if you go for some king cobra styled ones. Spiders are also cool, like in RE1 with the huge tarantulas, but I don't think they fit well in a game like Thief for example. Rats are indeed common, not the best example, what about centipedes or wasps/hornets to add into the mix?
>>
>>
>>10857787
>spiders are easy to animate
Are they really?
That may be true for the ones that zip up-down on web string in platformers, but the way they walk on surfaces always looks pretty complex.
>>
>>10858268
Yeah, the crawling animation seems pretty hard to make imo, especially on smaller sized spiders because the speed of limb movement has to be higher and it seems like a pain in the ass to make it NOT look ridiculous. Just throw in some kind of beasts like wolves, bears, scorpions, giant ants or some big ass flying beetles.
>>
>>10858268
Nta, I've animated spiders in unity before and you can make them really twitchy, janky and mechanical and it still has a recognizable spider appeal. Flapping wings and the contractions that make a snake move are difficult to pull off convincingly and require much closer attention
>>
File: spider.gif (388 KB, 349x270)
388 KB
388 KB GIF
>>10858282
you would think so: what makes it easy is that nearly all 3D studios do the IK for you
(e.g. Hi-solvers in 3DS max)
and you only need to place where the feet go in the animation
>>
>>10858282
Can confirm. Decades ago I've tried to animate tiny spider in some gif creator and failed horribly.

>>10858286
Aren't wing flaps and snake wiggling commonly handled in Unity by gluing together some basic shaders?
>>
>>10858424
I don't know I do everything in the most obtuse way possible
>>
>>10858409
That butt bounce is kinda hot...
>>
>>10857752
Looking up this game a liitle it seems quite cool. I read it has an interesting combat system but didn't see it described. Sell me on the game?
>>
>>10860124
diablo but with a story and better gameplay.
>>
>>10860124
>Sell me on the game
Just try it and see for yourself. It's immersive, the story is good and it's packed with action. You also have a pretty nice stealth mission.
>>
>>10860124
It's a game for the sort of people that like Quake and isometric RPGs in equal measure.
>>
>>10861223
That sounds near perfect.

>>10860671
I think it's on GOG so I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>10862701
Yeah, I bought it on gog too. It won't work after install, download the NoxSolution patch from here: http://noxcommunity.com/downloads.php# and many other mods.
>>
>>10862706
Hmmmm good to know, thanks.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.