[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_6239.jpg (77 KB, 440x697)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
Games that received massive upgrades for their international releases. Bugfixes, new tracks/rescores, extra content, new playable characters, new difficulty modes, UI/graphical changes, you name it.
>>
>>10857937
Dragon Quest 1 on the Famicom is surprisingly barebones compared to its NES counterparts, it plays like an early 80s computer RPG
>>
>>10857937
DW1,2&3 where all better than their Japanese counterparts, but dunno about DQ4, as far as I know they only changed the graphics and some minor lines of dialogue.
>>
Most translations by Working Design had improved balancing in the west.
>>
>>10858327
DW4 also had some bugfixes.
>>
zelda 2
decap attack
>>
File: 1712013371410140.jpg (119 KB, 600x900)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
>>10857937
DQ8's western release adds so much to the charm of that game. I know the accent heavy and pun filled translations of Dragon Quest games aren't popular with everyone, particularly Americans, but I think they knocked it out of the park with DQ8. Yangus, Jessica, Angelo, King Trode, Madea, Red, Morrie, Dominico and countless others have such great voice acting and writing. DQ11's writing and voice overs feel like a bit of a step down in comparison. The orchestral score is such a huge improvement over the original MIDI too. I get that orchestrated tracks don't sit well in a retro style JRPG for a lot of people, but I always thought DQ8's original score was pretty grating.

MIDI: https://youtu.be/7CKDGpQuGXg?si=KxTXOEcGktuZiTQ1

OST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCDuBuyYP8k

Such a wonderful game. My favourite JRPG for sure.
>>
>>10858327
I've never played the english version of DQIII but the 25% exp and gold boost seems like overkill. Compared to DQI and II, DQIII was fairly easy until the end of the game. I feel like 25% more exp would make it boring.
>>
>>10858615
>can't be bothered to record new material for the game
>just dig through the archives and pop in a recording from the early 90s instead
I guess if it works, it works...
https://youtu.be/tsW5Q-JUb0o?t=79
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyQbnDwSUFQ
>>
rogue galaxy
>>
>>10858615
Undub when?
>>
>>10858645
Funnily enough they used the western version as a base for the remakes, extra exp and all.
>>
>>10858805
You'd have to import the japanese audio from the 3ds, and it's lower quality. I don't know how much interest is there to do that.
>>
>>10858787
That's on Sugiyama. Thankfully it's the same theme, so it still works even if the orchestra was intended for another game's album. And they did have a fresh symphonic for VIII original tracks. The wonders of releasing the U.S version 1 year later.
>>
>>10858797
I have the bong version I bought from my teacher for basically nothing, shame the PS2 I recently purchased is a non chipped NTSC-U, so I can't play it right now.
>>
>>10857937
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 are the big ones for me
>>
>>10858329
I heard they had the exact opposite and just made the games harder. Also their translations were shit and full of pop culture shit
>>
>>10858329
Low effort bait. Vic Ireland is a hack.
>>
>>10858615
The accents and puns were much dialed back in DQ8 compared to the later games. The accents for example were largely voiced, not written, which I think helped a lot because written accents look incredibly silly. I don't recall anyone really complaining about DQ8's localization outside of maybe the spell names.
People only took an issue with the localization later on when they doubled down on the accents and puns with the DS releases and never let up since. Trying way too hard to be "charming" at that point.
>>
>>10857976
It really does. It's still kinda fun though.
>>
>>10858615
If anything, I thought the DQ8 party was one of the weaker groups of the series. They're mostly just along for the ride while everything centers around Trode, his horse, and his scepter. Jessica loses all relevance once she joins up (barring a brief boss fight against her), I think Yangus only got his flashback scene in the 3DS version, and they don't even give the Hero any backstory until the post-game. Angelo only gets some relevance because his brother is one of the major antagonists of the plot.
>>
>>10860243
I agree that Jessica needed more backstory and focus but you're misremembering Yangus and the protagonist. Yangus has the entirety of Pickham, his feud with Red, and then seeing Red again at the Pirate's Cove and before the final battle (to get her mace) which makes him one of the most fleshed out characters. The hero also gets a nice amount of backstory as long as you regularly visit the magical spring to talk to Madea about their past together, which is very heartwarming. I think its easily the best party in the series. They interact a lot through party chat. But again, I wanted more Jessica.
>>
>>10860243
Also Yangus' flashback was in the PS2 release. You get it when they leave the first continent by the ferry.
>>
>>10860564
Yangus is a bunch of constant reminders to the player that he sucked so badly as a thief thay he gave up and went straight. Funny and admirable, but not very engaging. The Hero is really just an extension of Medea's storyline and gets nothing that's truly his own story until post-game.

And Party Chat in DQ8 is usually just an excuse for the game to repeat your current objective. Rarely does it give out anything more substantial in my experience.
>>
>>10857976
It was . its slower on the msx
>>
99% of that "they dumbed <game> down for the west!" was just them fixing gamebreaking bugs or making changes due to player feedback
>>
>>10862203
Yeah and if you talk to most people who played old games, they like new versions with quality of life changes more. People saying they're bad are all just hipsters
>>
>>10863560
I really don't understand the hate for the SFC remakes of DQ1-3 which boost the exp and gold by 20% or something. There's still plenty of grinding to be had with that little bump. It just means cutting down on it ever so slightly. It's not like they nerfed the stats of monsters or anything. You're just cutting back on repetitive content. Why would that possibly be a bad thing??
>>
>>10865032
> It's not like they nerfed the stats of monsters or anything

They did. I personally checked the SFC versions of DQ2 and compared it with the NES and FC versions. And it's nost just monsters stats, every SINGLE parameter in the game that could be edited was changed to make the games easier. It's probably the same in DQ1 too.

Also they actually went back on that a little for the GBC versions, which are actually not as easy as the SFC versions.
>>
>>10865032
You only have to grind a bit at the start of DQ1 (SFC) and DQ2 (SFC) after that it's a straight rush to the end. In DQ3 (SFC) you literally never have to stop to grind. You can rush right into the first dungeon with level 1 characters and clear it.
>>
>>10865053
I don’t recommend doing that. I played the SFC remake of 3 and the first dungeon heavily punishes you for being low leveled

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.