[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: IMG_5565.jpg (54 KB, 800x600)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
I’m pretty sure that people doing those backlit IPS display mods for various Gameboys are just throwing the old still working LCDs away. I’m trying to find a regular OEM LCD for the Gameboy Pocket and there’s just nothing out there.
>>
>>10858394
Buy a gameboy pocket for parts
>>
>>10858394
i didn't throw away mine but some probably did. Some games do look a bit better on the original screen I so have both types.
>>
>>10858413
Most parts Gameboys either have a burnt LCD or cost close to what a working one does.
>>
>>10858394
I doubt it. Many people are replacing broken screens. Many are hanging on to the old one in case they need it for something.
>>
File: j7f7xig35v591.jpg (1.5 MB, 3024x4032)
1.5 MB
1.5 MB JPG
Seems like a good enough thread to ask, but is there a confirmed way to correct the issue shown in this photo? Is it a decaying screen or a bad from the factory screen, or can it be resolved through capacitor replacement? I got my Pocket in probably like 2004 or 2005, and it has had this issue since then. It's bad enough that I never use it and instead just use my childhood grey brick, the screen on which is many times better than my Pocket's, surprisingly enough.
>>
>>10858394
Depends really.
Some of them are worth repairing, some of them are not and it might even be impossible.
When guys order old or bad lots off ebay and such, a large number of them come with screens that will never work again.
Some could be repaired, but it would be hours of labor with no promise of success (like missing horizontal lines on the screen, vertical ones are easy but horizontal are hard to impossible).
I do those repairs and if I can save the screen within reason I will. Some are just too far gone.
>>
>>10858524
Could be something to do with the ribbon cable if it's not the capacitors. Shot in the dark but, if I had it to open up I'd check the contrast dial and everything around it.
>>
>>10858573
At some point I'll try to resolve it. The reddit thread that the picture is from has a reply from somebody who said that a recap didn't fix the issue, and the rest of the thread (and most other online mentions I can find about the issue) are pontificating posts with zero confirmed, "I had this issue, and doing X resolved it" solutions.
>>
>>10858413
these days a broken for parts not working console goes for just as much as a working console

It's fucking retarded
>>
File: IMG_7418.jpg (329 KB, 1074x902)
329 KB
329 KB JPG
>>10858625
We’re in the custom pcb era of modding; even heavily junked consoles can likely be turned into fully working ones if the cpu is intact
>>
>>10858524
that's just how those old screens looked. it's what mine looked like brand new in 1994.

if you have one that doesn't get vertical darkening, then that's an exceptional screen.
>>
>>10859286
That's what I was afraid of. I went straight from original to Color, so I never had a Pocket when it was new. Honestly I'm surprised people seem to jerk off to Pockets so much if the streaks are the norm, honestly everything about it looks like shit compared to my original model, from the streaks to the motion blur.
>>
>>10858394
They probably aren't tossing them in the trash, but they have little reason to put them.up for sale.
>>
anon i think your massively overestimating the number of people doing this and most are just saving the parts they removed anyways
>>
>>10858394
unfortunately, mine had a burnt lcd
was it just cheap parts in general?
>>
>>10858394
I still have my AGS-001 screen put away safely. Would be idiotic to trash it.
>>
The alternative is of course to bite the bullet on one of the fancy IPS displays, but Gameboy Pockets are so power starved with their AAA batteries that it would kill the battery life. Also I hate soldering.
>>
>>10858394
Many are sadly and stupidly tossing working parts, yes. It's a miserable thing to see. I've kept all my original screens and parts in general from the GBA modding I've done. I can swap screens if I so want with zero issues.
>>
>>10861191
I backlit modded my GBC and saved the original screen. Main reason I modded it in the first place was because the screen had that sunbaked issue, which apparently is fixable but fuck if I could do it without just getting dust stuck inside the screen.
>>
Screen burn is caused by damage to the polarizing film. This is easy to replace on original Gameboy, hard on GBC.
>>
>>10861789
Good on you, Anon. In my short time stuck on the miserable Game Boy reddit, I saw so many faggots buying GB/C/A units in pristine shape and just slapping them in cheap, shitty shells/bad screen kits/badly installed USB C etc. Fuckwits who would buy a hundred GBs from Japan one week and go "Why is everything so hard to find and expensive now?!"
>>
>>10861191
Yes. Everyone is being stupid except for you.
>>10861798
tell me you've never done either without telling me
>>
I know that the first thing I would think of after removing the broken display from my antique handheld is to list it on ebay for pennies
>>
>>10862253
Don’t be fucking retarded. Literally everything retro gaming related goes for stupid money on eBay. You could probably sell the LCD alone for as much as the entire Gameboy with how fucked the market is.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3sSzvCX-c8

Replacing the polarizing film on a Gameboy.
>>
>>10862251
>Yes. Everyone is being stupid except for you.
I'm plenty stupid about many things, Anon. I'm not going to pretend to be some wise man. However I'm not some bumbling retard who disposes of working electronics or equipment. So maybe get the stick out of your ass and stop being such a negative cunt?
>>
>>10862637
uh huh
>>
>>10863425
I’m not going to go on eBay, search for sold OEM Gameboy screens, and link them here. Suck my dick.
>>
>>10858394
Pocket screens are garbage and basically all on borrowed time. DMG and Color screens are one thing, but it's only a matter of time before every Pocket and GB Light screen is covered in lines and degradation.
>>
>>10863421
>However I'm not some bumbling retard who disposes of working electronics or equipment.
You're just some bumbling retard who is says other people do
>So maybe get the stick out of your ass and stop being such a negative cunt?
You're the one who lied about many other people were throwing the shit away. All to make yourself seem special. So who exactly is being a negative cunt?
>>
File: IMG_5569.jpg (28 KB, 390x258)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>10863517
>who is says other people do
>>
>>10863517
>You're the one who lied about many other people were throwing the shit away. All to make yourself seem special. So who exactly is being a negative cunt?
>Lied.
You stupid motherfucker. You absolutely, outrageous retarded buffoon. Go onto youtube, onto Reddit. Look at the people buying new in box Game Boy systems and tearing them down to toss in cheap, low quality screens and shitty, badly made transparent cases that paid $1.25 for on Aliexpress. How they take a horrible pride in buying something unused or barely used and just raping it with shitty, low quality parts. Ask if they kept the original, functional parts - hell, most of the videos show the original parts being mangled by sperging disassembly. These are people who generally buy and mod hardware, take a screenshot with a game on the title screen and box up/toss the system on the shelf/list it on Ebay. People more fixated on social media and app likes than actual games or classic hardware. The evidence exists in full color, but you call me a liar? Goddamn stupid fucking retard.
>>
>>10863830
>Ask if they kept the original, functional parts
Not my job, champ. That'd be your job. If you want to back up your claim, instead of just ranting like a deranged fool.
>most of the videos show the original parts being mangled by sperging disassembly.
If true, then most of them can't be throwing away working parts, can they?
Checkmate, sperglord.
>>
I just threw away two original GBA screens and one GB Colour

They're so dark I couldn't imagine ever wanting to use them again
>>
my AGS101 has a problem with its speaker that I can't fix, I wish I could just find replacement motherboards for it from all the retards who gut the console for its screen, but I've never been able to find one.
>>
>>10858394
I'm waiting on my OLED for gbc. But if I find one with a broken screen I'll get it to reuse my old shell and screen. Can't stand seeing those Gameboy Macro DS abominations.
>>
bump
>>
>>10864250
>OLED
Why? I agree about the "Macro" shit though. After seeing tards gleefully breaking DS/DS Lites and a couple DSi's for some stupid reason they bother me something fierce.
>>
>>10859286
You're just fucking with people, i got my OG pocket as a gift back in 98 and it DID NOT had that issue.
>>
>>10866645
While I didn't get mine new, the interesting thing is when I got it, it wasn't that old. Like probably 2003 or so. A Japanese CIB pink one that I got as part of a lot. Never used it much, on part because of the shitty screen. Maybe it was just a luck of the draw thing, or there is some sort of parts that are prone to failure, because I wouldn't have thought that the screen itself would've degraded so quickly
>>
>>10866463
Been thinking about getting an IPS for a while now. Seeing there's an OLED now got me to pull the trigger. Turned out pretty nice.
>>
So I was walking back home from work yesterday... I live in Mexico, so all the streets downtown are an open market, the sidewalk is a long sales aisle...

There is one little carp/store where they sell trendy Chinese stuff, like Anime Dolls, and you know... the cool Alistore stuff...

They are selling a couple of Single Board Comṕuter handhelds... and they are selling a Miyoo Mini +, the black one... with the full kit, the carry case, and all that...

So yeah..they have not sold it because poor people here (the only people buying off these "shops") think it is the same thing as one of those Famiclone SUP aberrations... and decided to put it on sale...

The whole, brand new, kit is for sale at 41 dollars. No need to wait for shipping from China, it is already here.

Should I buy it? I already own an RG280V which I adore, but I could enjoy a bigger screen for PSX games with small text...

...And even flipping it... maybe I could sell it for more in Facebook Marketplace later... thing is..

well.. I am saving for a new gaming laptop and Mexican wages are shit, so it will take me all year saving disposable income, so I really know I DO NOT NEED A MIYOO ....

But it is a good deal is it not? Even flipping it could make me money...

I dunno just spit balling here.. what do you think? What gives?
>>
>>10868141
Buy it, onion os is delightful
>>
>>10868976
Dayum.. I will... I think I will..
I love tinkering and setting stuff up way more than gaming, and I do game...
Hacking the Wii was amazing...

And I am curious what the fuzz is all about regarding Onion OS...

Plus I do enjoy retroachievements which is the only thing missing from my RG280V
>>
>>10858524
Looks like you just need to adjust the contrast.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.