[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Played Harvest Moon (SNES) a lot as a kid but never went beyond the second year. Finished it for the first time now and it feels quite special.
I plan to do a second run to get the best bachelor ending but I won't do a run for the other girls, it gets very boring after the first year. But it's still a hell of a impressive game for the SNES.
>>
>>10859541
> play video game
> in fantasy world
> still can't get laid
>>
an interesting concept that predicted modern open world sandbox games and SNES games were usually not known for being inventive compared to NES ones
>>
>>10859541
This was the first game I ever remember having a "girl appeal." I bought it when it came out and I had a female cousin visit for the summer and she became totally addicted to it. I had never seen her game before in her life.
I even bought the Gamecube game for a girlfriend in college and she became obsessed, only quitting out of despair once the old lady with the ladybug hat dies.
I think they can be fun but they do get boring fairly quickly, the SNES one gives you next to nothing to do in the winter and fall and once you've really established your farm it gets repetitive.
>>
>>10860271
>the SNES one gives you next to nothing to do in the winter and fall and
Which is a bit bogus because IRL the fall would not only be harvest season but involve setting out certain crops such as garlic or winter wheat. I guess there were limits to what they could fit in a 16 megabit cartridge. Imagine what they could have done with 32 megabits.
>>
>>10860281
Yeah I was really excited about the game as I was a SNES holdout and Nintendo Power gave it a ton of coverage. I think it was first reviewed in the February or March issue but didn't come out until the summer. I was calling video game stores weekly. All those delays and the game has one of the worst translations on the console. The game as a whole is very charming but it was missing something.
I ran into a similar issue with Mystical Ninja 64 the following year.
>>
>>10860291
>All those delays and the game has one of the worst translations on the console

yeah they changed "beer" to "juice" in the translation because NOA faggotry. we know.
>>
>>10860296
I mean that's probably the least of it's problems.
>>
>>10860291
>All those delays and the game has one of the worst translations on the console
do there exist alternative fan translations like the 45 different FF6 ones?
>>
>>10860354
A quick look at Romhacking.net shows nothing so I guess not.
>>
>>10860354
What, you don’t enjoy the choice of 300 different re-translations of Chrono Trigger?
>>
>>10860354
>>10860380
I think it's funny when one of these claims to be THE MOST ACCURATE TRANSLATION EVER then fucks it up, has in-jokes thrown in, pop culture references etc.
>>
>>10860271
>I bought it when it came out and I had a female cousin visit for the summer and she became totally addicted to it. I had never seen her game before in her life.
this story have better have gone further places than you just letting her play a video game
>>
>>10859541
The cow sprite in this game is off the charts cute.
>>
>>10860380
>>10860384
>Chrono Trigger
I find it funny and lame that for every fan-translation's claims of accuracy to the Japanese, they outright state that they will never change the Masamune sword back to its original name of Grandleon.
>>
>>10860296
Oh it's much more than that.
There is some complete nonsense like "inquire origin of fire" or something like this and a few instances of broken text in the NPC questions.
>>
>>10860271
For some reason, girls really like games full of easy, repetitive busywork that's wrapped in a cute or otherwise feminine-appealing aesthetic.
>>
>>10860291
>the game has one of the worst translations on the console
I loved Back to Nature as a kid, but this is why I didn’t make it past a couple of days when I tried playing SNES recently. There was way too much nonsense, Engrish, and vagueness to what things actually did.
>>
>>10860291
>>10861524
SNES Harvest Moon was my first Harvest Moon and I only first played it a couple years back. The only outside information I used was the official manual and I didn't notice the translation being noticeably bad or making the game difficult to play or understand.
>>
>>10861543
It was less that it made it difficult to play, and more than I kept noticing and kept noticing to where it stopped being charming and began to annoy me. That said, I don’t have any particular examples that stuck with me.
Really, I would have probably persevered if there weren’t so many other options in the series for me to play, most being retro. I’ll probably come back to it some time, but I would much rather try 64 or Wonderful Life than bother with what I had seen.
>>
>>10861562
Oh, I definitely won't argue against the game being annoying and tedious, especially after the first or second year when you've got all your land opened up and all there is to do is just grind away milk, eggs, and super easy crop raising/harvesting for days and days and days with zero variation. It's very easy to "solve" the game and then it just turns into an utter grind. I just never noticed the translation being a problem.
>>
>>10861513
That's literally what they are programmed to do anon.
>>
>>10860271
girls yearn for the cutesy life simulators
>>
>>10861896
>>10861592
>>10861513
Said girlfriend in the earlier post used to play Animal Crossing too and would get into physical fights with her sisters over whose turn it was.
>>
>>10860595
>anon thinks he should have tried to fuck his cousin instead of introduce her to a cool game
Ohh 'murrica you so special.
>>
>>10862540
Damn I remember when I had to share the computer with my siblings.
Anyway, does she also happen to like The Sims?
>>
>>10863805
Funny you mentioned that, I bought her The Sims Complete Collection, played it once or twice then broke up with me a week later lmao

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.