[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: s-l1600.jpg (408 KB, 1011x1600)
408 KB
408 KB JPG
Lets have an arcade thread anons. I am lucky enough to live under 20 minutes from Galloping Ghost, the biggest arcade in Burgerstan. I haven't always made the best use out of it but I went this month and am already planning to go with friends later this month as well and find myself on a bit of a fixation for arcade games at the moment.

>What are your favorite arcade games
>Tips for getting MAME to work well? It's the only emulator I am not well versed in and I am having trouble every step of the way, feels very different to normal emulation
>Dream machine to have in the home
>>
For me I discovered so far that I really like
>Dariusburst EX
>Alien3 The Gun
>Alien vs Predator (Also damn alien and predator got a ton of arcade games)
>F-Zero AX
>Space Gun
>Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
>Solar Assault
>NARC
>

Already knew I liked
>Crazy Taxi
>House of the Dead
>Time Crisis
>Arctic Thunder
>Galaga
>Digdug

Having a house of the dead cabinet in my home would be a dream come true
>>
>>10860536
>Tips for getting MAME to work well? It's the only emulator I am not well versed in and I am having trouble every step of the way, feels very different to normal emulation
1. Download latest version of MAME.
2. Google up the arcade database, search up the games you want, find the short names of the games.
3. Download those games from either pleasuredome or the depot, as they are the only two places that bother keeping an up-to-date set. Put them in MAME's /roms/ folder. Do not unzip them.
****If the place you are trying to download MAME roms from doesn't say what version the romset is, you can consider it to be a garbage source. You won't be able to tell which version the roms are without auditing. I don't care how reliable that source is for other platforms. No romset version #, no good. Period.******
4. Attempt to run games. If MAME spits up "FILE NOT FOUND!!!!" error, look at the name of the .zip file it's asking for, download that and add it to your /roms/ folder and try again.
5. If the game needs a .chd file, create a subfolder in /roms/ with the short name of the game. San Francisco Rush would need a folder called /sfrush/. Download the .chd file, put it in that subfolder. Do not put the game .zip files in that folder, leave them in /roms/.
If you wanna get fancy and update your old romset or something, then you'll want to download an audit tool. Unless you insist on using clrmamepro, audit tools are pretty simple and easy to figure out.
>>
>>10860559
where did you find a dariusburst and f-zero machine?
>>
I like all light gun shooters.

As for a dream cab, probably Police 9/11 or Silent Scope. Time Crisis is well emulated and you can still buy the guns, HotD is playable aside from a few Z-fighting issues.
>>
>>10860591
>>10860536
>Mame emulation
F*ck off with that. If you are going to have an arcade thread, then don't include emulation. We don't need trolls making posts about how arcade cabinets are inferior and all you need is a computer.

If you want a Mame thread, go make a Mame discussion thread.
>>
File: 1691724828078.png (2.44 MB, 1520x2260)
2.44 MB
2.44 MB PNG
>>10860559
>Having a house of the dead cabinet in my home would be a dream come true
Which House of the Dead? And which model arcade cabinet? There's around a dozen different cabinet variations.

Upright?
Sitdown?
Deluxe?
CRT screen?
Large Projector Deluxe screen?
>>
>>10860592
Galloping Ghost in the Chicago area. F-Zero AX was down the last time I went but they have one and a bunch of different Darius machines.

Lots and lots of rare/cool machines there.
>Star Wars Podracer
>Castlevania Arcade Rail Shooter with motion control whipping action
>Mission Craft, SHMUP that just blatantly steals Starcraft/Warcraft assets that was released in Asia
>Left 4 Dead and Half Life 2 arcade
>The Grid, especially cool cause it has enough cabinets to get 6 or 8 people set up all at once, it's a cramped place so pretty much everything else is only multi player if it has multiplayer built into the cabinet, none of the racing cabinets are hooked up to others for multiplayer
>These weird hologram FMV games made by Sega
>Like every fighting game ever
>Dozens of lightgun games
>At least like 20 Streets of Rage likes
And I mean I'm barely scratching the surface here. You can barely scratch the surface if you do a full day from like 11AM to 12/2AM. It genuinely took me 30 minutes to walk the floor and get a feel for the layout when I went back this time (they bought the buildings next to them and like doubled the size of the fucking place, and bought buildings 3 blocks down for a pinball house, I REALLY want them to do an internet cafe with retro PCs/pc games and console set ups if they expand further, it'd be amazing)
>>
>>10860624
I've never met a house of the dead that I didn't like
>>
File: 1711471054209371.png (322 KB, 864x973)
322 KB
322 KB PNG
>>10860617
I don't think MAME is superior but it's 25 bucks to go to my Arcade whether it's open or only a few hours from closing, so I can't justify going after work for a couple of hours. That means weekends and weekends get busy so that means only a couple times a month. I want MAME working to bridge the gap playing stuff like NARC/Alien vs Predator arcade that are possible to translate to a controller pretty easily. Nothing can replace the feedback of the gun for Alien3 The Gun, it's sublime, you need the hardware to get the full experience of that game. Some arcade games are a bit less hardware dependent, though I think they all benefit from being experience in person.

One day I'll be a rich man and buy the lifetime pass to Galloping Ghost for 4k.
>>
File: 1687334551417.png (1.54 MB, 916x1500)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB PNG
>>10860646
Sorry for my harsh response. I'm not trying to insult you, but I've seen so many arcade threads here get trolled and ruined by people spamming about Mame and emulation. It's just best not to include it from my experience.

Even if you can't go to an arcade and spend money, you can still buy your own cabinet. Find one that's used or someone looking to get rid of it. Maybe restore it and have it in your house for convenience. I recommend a Neo Geo for all the variety of games it has. Plus so many Neo Geos were made that you should be able to find one for cheap.
>>
>>10860624
Not that anon, but I've had a THotD regular pedestal cab, the model in your photo, for several years. I also have a Virtua Cop 2 PCB to swap in.
It could definitely do with a new tube, though, some obvious insert coin burn-in.
>>
>>10860536
>What are your favorite arcade games
Daytona USA
Battle Garega
House of the Dead
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
X-Men 1992
Aliens Vs. Predator 1994
Just download a MAME rompack and look for a MAME GUI version that matches it. Trying to use MAME by itself and individual ROMs from random websites is a clusterfuck that will inevitably lead to errors and other janky shit because MAME's built-in UI sucks and always will suck.
>Dream machine to have in the home
Robotron 2084 would be sick, or just having a nice generic candycab with a CRT and a MISTer or MAME system installed to the Jamma connector.
>>
>>10860659
Well that's a real comfy nook to lose a couple hours in!

If I could have anything..
>Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram
>Time Crisis 2
>>
>>10860536
I have the opportunity to buy a rare arcade machine from someone. This person saved the machine from destruction in the early 2000s from an arcade that was shutting down. They were gonna scrap it but he saved it, and has kept it in storage. I think it's one of the few last ones in the world. I'm debating if I should buy it. I was thinking of doing a YouTube series documenting fixing it and restoring it. But I've heard so many horror stories about collectors lusting after rare items. Like breaking into places and stealing it. I'm afraid I would make myself a target for them. Thoughts?
>>
>>10860669
How could I forget an Initial D Arcade Stage, now I'm dreaming big
>>
>>10860674
You're anonymous right now tell us what the cabinet is loser
>>
File: 1540927308338.gif (2.91 MB, 294x227)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB GIF
As far as I can tell the only games missing from Galloping Ghost in my mind are
>Time Crisis
>Soul Calibur 1
>>
>>10860536
I like Galloping Ghost but it annoys me that their racing game section only had 1 of each game. I want to be able to race my friends.
>>
File: 1708532915487.jpg (279 KB, 764x1024)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
>>10860559
>>10860624
>>10860630
>>10860664
You people need to go bigger
>>
>>10860749
Eventually Galloping Ghost will sprawl over the entire city of Brookfield and then they'll have the racing set ups in the racing house and a full set of each game. The whole town will just be the arcade and the zoo.
>>
>>10860756
This game has a mandela effect. It was originally called House Of The Dead.
>>
File: 1687878189670.jpg (312 KB, 1141x888)
312 KB
312 KB JPG
>>10860536
You need to play the bigger one OP. Go for the biggest!
>>
>>10860536
>Lets have an arcade thread anons. I am lucky enough to live under 20 minutes from Galloping Ghost
You need to challenge the Galloping Ghost champion for the hardcore belt. The hardcore belt holder gets free admission to Galloping Ghost, but must answer all challenges from other customers in the arcade. Yes its an actual wrestling style belt that you carry with you.
>>
>>10860659
>I've seen so many arcade threads here get trolled and ruined by people spamming about Mame and emulation.
>sees OP mention MAME
>tells OP to fuck off and rants about muh arcade cabinets
You aren't fooling anyone by complaining about your own behavior. Nice try with the deflection, but it's clear you are the shitposter who rants about MAME any time it gets mentioned.
>>
>>10860859
No, it was originally called the the house of dead.
>>
>>10861071
Stop. This is how you try to troll arcade threads. Seen it many times already.
>>
>>10861081
Yes, this guy right here:
>>10860617
Notice how there was no problem until he showed up and started screaming about MAME? Only to turn around and go "Well, I just don't wanna see your thread get trolled, that's all." Not fooling anyone.
>>
>>10861090
Oh no. Here we go with the concern trolling. Yawn.
>>
File: 1692522798991.jpg (81 KB, 600x800)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>10860659
I prefer the smaller version. Takes up less room.
>>
>>10860627
Apparently the owner really likes Missioncraft lol, I've heard a few shmup autists in the area say he asked them to come out to play a 2p run with them. Seems like a fun dude from what I've seen of the place online
>>
>>10860592
The usual Galloping Ghost autist aside, Dariusburst isn't terribly uncommon. And for some reason, most of the remaining F-Zero arcade machines are all in midwest (there are two in Madison, WI, one at galloping ghost, a full set of them in Indianapolis, and a couple others). I think the only two others are in Las Vegas and Flordia.
>>
>>10860859
>>10861079
It's funny, because the game was literally called The House of Dead during its early days. The first "The" has been there as far back as is publicly documented, it's the second "the" which was added later.
>>
I was just thinking yesterday how much I really really wanted to play a hydraulic Space Harrier cab again. Must have been 20 years since I last sat in one. I would really really love to play hydraulic Space Harrier again vr bros
>>
>>10861287
Skylon Tower near Niagra Falls has one in good shape.
>>
File: 1695345699938.jpg (223 KB, 1029x1280)
223 KB
223 KB JPG
>>10861287
This?
>>
>>10861287
Funspot in Laconia, New Hampshire has a working Space Harrier deluxe. There are NOT many of the Deluxe motion cabs left. Probably only a dozen left in all of North America in public arcades. Back in the day, Motion cabinets were always the first to break down and be thrown out. Treasure them while you can.
>>
>>10861287
Most have been scrapped or have been sold to private collectors. But there are still a small handful left in public arcades.
>>
>>10861665
>Probably only a dozen left in all of North America in public arcades
I'd be surprised if there are even HALF a dozen left.
>>
File: 1704850736216.jpg (92 KB, 400x532)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
Post more fun arcade machines.
>>
idk if there is a single functioning unit left but an old 90s arcade game called gunmen wars was really cool. japanese 3rd person shooter deathmatch game.
>>
>>10861779
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HZATtEkX9I
>>
>>10861779
It's still fairly common in Japan, but there are no public ones in the US as far as I know. There is one that comes out for the SoCal Retro Gaming Expo sometimes, though.
>>
>>10861802
last and only time i played it was at great america or some theme park in the mid 2000s. no idea how such an obscure game ended up there in the first place but ive missed it ever since.
>>
File: 1708307791753.jpg (253 KB, 1024x768)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>10861779
>gunmen wars
>>
>>10861810
are you greentexting me because i didnt type it in all caps or something? where is that at? would love to play it again. probably sunk almost 20.00 into it years back.
>>
>>10861814
This is in the UK. From like 10 years ago. Not sure if it's still there. I just wanted to share a picture with everyone.
>>
>>10861079
>>10861278
The movies and even the newer game uses the original title.
>>
>>10861817
its cool that there are other people here who seem like theyve played it or even know what it is, its not a game i ever hear anyone talk about, and footage or images of it online are hard to find. nice to know im not the only guy here whos played it. i dont think it works in mame or any emulation software either so there isnt anyway to play it unless you find it.
>>
>>10861805
It's not nearly as rare as you'd expect. They pop up for sale on the second hand market all the time. It's just that nobody particularly wants it.
>>
>>10861079
Don't reply to him. This is a /vr/ shitposter who's been doing this for years.
>>
>>10861887
>i dont think it works in mame or any emulation software either so there isnt anyway to play it unless you find it.
I think that's for the best. That's how the arcade industry survives. The arcade cabinet is unique and make. games just aren't able to be emulated. Imagine being a healthy human being and playing DDR or Dance Rush on your keyboard. A totally nerfed and joyless experience.

Galloping Ghost has several rare arcade games that aren't dumped on the internet. Mame users might be upset at not having access, but people have flown from across the world to play those games and visit GG. That's how arcades stay in business.
>>
>>10862065
The Issue with Gunmen wars is that the cabinet doesn't split into two pieces for easy moving like Time Crisis or most driving games. So the cabinet is bulkier and less places want to work with that.

It also affects maintenance. If one monitor goes out, then you have to remove or shutdown the entire machine to fix it.
>>
File: 1710091390734.jpg (152 KB, 1024x646)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
I miss laundrymat arcades.
>>
>>10862607
Depends on the game. For Gunmen Wars, the game had a camera that took a picture of you and displayed it ontop of the robot in game. So I don't believe that can be emulated. Not unless Mame devs are willing to program in support for web cameras. And I seriously doubt they will do that because they are pretty lazy. The devs still haven't gotten around to getting Daytona USA or Crisis Zone working after 25 yearsz and those are pretty popular titles.
>>
>>10862607
id agree with your sentiment maybe 10 years ago that its good that arcade games cant be emulated, but when it gets to the point that its impossible to play these games because you dont know any places that have the game, emulation becomes important. if there was an arcade in the US that had a functioning setup i would maybe cosider traveling to play it, but that includes the logistics of traveling most likely to another state to do it, and most likely needing to stay somewhere that night before driving back home. that could end up being like 300 or more dollars just to play a game that might not even work when you get there. so i think its important that this stuff can be emulated, in another 10 years how many of these will still work?

i also looked at the gg website and they dont seem to even have the game

>>10862730
i thought the camera feature to the game was neat but it isnt really the point of the game so i can live without it. I figure it would just work with a flight joystick well enough to have fun. i assumed all of these old games would be simple enough to emulate today so its surprising hearing that even today popular games like crisis zone dont work. i dont know much about emulation but i figure there enough people out there who care about this stuff that it should have been done already. what percentage of 90s-2005 games work?
>>
>>10862841
>i assumed all of these old games would be simple enough to emulate today so its surprising hearing that even today popular games like crisis zone dont work. i dont know much about emulation but i figure there enough people out there who care about this stuff that it should have been done already.

There's been a lot of arguments and division within the Emulation and MAME community. It basically boils down to "Archiving VS Playability".

To emulate an arcade game you need to access to the original game board, copy the game data, and then you dump the game into Mame. Most new games won't even boot. Then the Mame Devs needs to spend many months (or years) slowly getting the game to function. This part makes many devs lose interest.

The original creator of MAME said the goal of Mame was to get arcade games to be Playable on PC. That he wanted arcade games like Pac Man to work on PC so people can enjoy them. After the Mame creator left the project, new devoplers came onboard and changed the goal of Mame. It was no longer about Playability. It was about "archiving games" . Playability was a distant second in terms of priority.

The new devs mostly focus on getting copies of arcade games and dumping them into Mame. But not spending time getting them to actually work and be Playable. This has led to an attitude of, "If you don't like the way we do things then go find another emulator or go make your own." And some people have done exactly that.

You may here arguments saying stuff like "Programming for multiple arcade boards is hard!" or "We focus on accurate emulation!" but that's just weak excuses. 25 years is plenty of time to make a game function. Entire countries have been built in 25 years. We've gone to the moon, built sattelites, and visited other planets with remote control drones. It's not unreasonable to expect Daytona USA from 1994 to work in Mame. It's just laziness.
>>
>>10862901
whats the point or archiving the games if you cant play them? what does that mean? Just having a ROM you cant do anything with? it may as well not exist if thats the case. if someone hasnt gotten these games to work in the last 20 years i dont expect anyone to do it 20 years from now, because the only people who would have cared about it will start dying from old age.

i dont know much about emulation, but i always figured most of the work was on the emulator itself, with not much tweaking being done per game. if it takes months to get a game to work on the emulator, isnt that more an issue of the emulator itself?

back t the archiving question what can you do with an archived rom of an arcade game if you cant emulate it? can you dump that onto something and play that on the original arcade cabinet somehow? seems really niche.
>>
>>10862841
The original Mame developers were gamers who also knew how to program. Focus was on making games work.

They left the project many years ago.

New Mame developers are Hardware Otaku (Fanatics). They aren't gamers. They get pleasure tinkering with old retro hardware.

They will spend years tinkering with an old Casio gaming watch that came in a cereal box for kids in the 1990s. Then put that watch game in Mame, but not actually work on getting popular arcade games playable.

If you argue or complain about it, they will just ban you from their forums.
>>
File: 1699112910980.jpg (145 KB, 960x720)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
Theres something about old cabinets that are so inviting. Even if the game is turned off it makes you want to run up to cab and spin the wheel and play with the shifter
>>
>>10862926
>back t the archiving question what can you do with an archived rom of an arcade game if you cant emulate it?
Well...I suppose you just hold onto it. If all the arcade cabinets are destroyed, then a copy of the game data is saved. That's about it. Not unless you are willing to create your own new emulator.

>can you dump that onto something and play that on the original arcade cabinet somehow? seems really niche.
It is very niche. But there are a few examples of it helping. It can help fix broken arcade boards. For example, Capcom made arcade boards in the 1990s that would self destruct when the built-in battery dies. This was their way of fighting piracy in the 80s and 90s. Pirates would copy games and release free bootlegs. But they couldn't copy this new arcade board. This arcade board is called commonly called a "suicide board". The game data is encrypted so it can't be copied. When battery dies, the game data is erased and the game board becomes a big broken hunk of junk.

Arcade fans very recently broken the encryption, and copied the games off the board. They also have been able to use archived games to fix the broken game boards where the battery died and erased the game data. They are now able to upload archived games back onto broken broken boards. It helps arcade owners fix their old broken Capcom machines. Your right It's not big and very niche, but it's still something.

Has nothing to do with emulation at all though.
>>
File: 1684294768540.jpg (44 KB, 399x300)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
This is your young 22 year old Mom playing in an arcade Laundromat. Circa 1986.
>>
>>10862948
damn. im surprised but im also not. that explains a lot. is there a better arcade emulator then? ive never used mame i just know what it is. none of the games ive wanted to play had compatibility or looked like they worked well. do you have any idea what cabinets/ boards have the best emulator support? maybe it would make more sense for people to just make eulators that specialize in one or two boards like the old NAMCO ones.

>>10862996
saving the data that you cant use just sounds like a weird form of collecting/hoarding. especially in 2024 if the development of the emulators has completely stagnated. i would argue a decade back it would make more sense under the assumption eventually the emulators would have high compatibility with the roms. seems like puttig the cart before the horse so to speak.

that old capcom board story is interesting never heard of that, i always find it funny when developers come up with these almost james bond espionage secret agent methods of keeping people from messing with their videogames. back in the 1990s i imagine this wouldnt have been as large of a problem as it seemed considering even if some guy got the game off the board, few people would be downloading it because the internet was so niche still. was this to prevent people from making bootleg cabinets?
>>
>>10861141
oof, looks like a stubby
embarrassing
>>
>>10861879
Mindblown!
>>
>>10862996
>Very recently
CPS3 was cracked 15 years ago and it has been possible to reprogram dead cartridges with modified code for almost as long. CPS2nwas cracked long before that and it has been possible to revive dead boards with decrypted code for nearly 20 years. It's also been possible to restore CPS2 with original encrypted code for at least 5 years. I'm too lazy to look up the dates but "very recently" is wrong

>>10863049
It was to prevent piracy. Street Fighter 2 made Capcom enough money to buy a small country and they still lost millions to piracy

>>10862926
People use ROM dumps to write new EPROMs to fix broken boards all the time. Same for GAL/PAL and things like that, dumps aren't strictly for weird data hoarders who think they're "preserving" games by storing them on their hard drives that lack redundancy and error correction
>>
>>10863049
>back in the 1990s i imagine this wouldnt have been as large of a problem as it seemed considering even if some guy got the game off the board, few people would be downloading it because the internet was so niche still. was this to prevent people from making bootleg cabinets?

Back in the 80s and 90s, Taiwan (and parts of China) had an entire massive underground industry dedicated to making bootleg arcade boards and selling them for a fraction of the cost of real arcade boards. A typical official arcade board would be a few thousand dollars. A bootleg board was sold at a small fraction of that.

Hardware security on game boards was nonexistent or very weak. You could just remove the chips from the board and copy the game rom data. Or attach a rom read to the board and get the rom data with a few minutes of work. Then China would make a bootleg board using that data and ship it out. As an arcade owner, all you needed to know was a guy who would sell it to you. You could save tens of thousands of dollars by buying bootleg boards for your arcade.

This was piracy before the internet was a thing. It wasn't just Capcom. All arcade game manufacturers were affected and it spread across the world. The bootlegs were so real that sometimes there was no way to tell the difference unless you were able to look at the physical board itself inside the cabinet. You think it's a joke today, but this was pre-internet. Companies took it SUPER seriously. Companies would literally get law enforcement and government agents to do raids on arcades if they thought you ran bootlegs.

Here's an article another anon shared a few months back. Nintendo sent law enforcement to raid arcades and seize the arcade machines. Imagine Swat teams and FBI busting down the door of Walgreens or CVS drug store. Arresting the manager and seizing arcade machines. Or busting down the door of Pizza places while customers are eating and taking the arcade machines.
>>
>>10863145
>when you get reports of bootleg machines
0:59
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CI4ZIOnKRk
>>
>>10863145
>arcade companies literally smashing doors down like it's a drug bust

I had no idea this was thing
>>
Man I miss light gun games. I was at a local game convention a few months ago and they had Area51 randomly shoved in a corner. I had so much fun.
>>
File: 1702119460827.jpg (64 KB, 450x600)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
Gentlemen! Don't let your dreams just be dreams. Get yourself a home arcade. Even Deluxe cabinets fit inside your house with some disassembly and reassembly. Totally worth it!
>>
>>10863049
Final Burn Neo is a good alternative to Mame, you can play SF3 3rd Strike and most Neo Geo games with it. For 3D Sega games there's the Sega Model 2 Emulator and Supermodel Emulator.
>>
>>10861141
I cannot fathom liking Red Hot Chili Peppers that much.
>>
>>10863119
>oof, looks like a stubby
>embarrassing
Apologize right now. Thats a legit Neo Geo cabinet that was used in some countries. Apologize.
>>
File: 1698165208269.jpg (215 KB, 832x867)
215 KB
215 KB JPG
Lots of fond memories with this machine
>>
>>10863049
>saving the data that you cant use just sounds like a weird form of collecting/hoarding
Well you have to understand...these people ARE digital collectors and digital hoarders. They are obsessed with getting access to rare arcade machines so they can copy the game data.

There are entire online groups dedicated just to hunting down rare arcade machines and getting the game data. There are even stories online of people illegally going into collectors homes, accessing rare arcade machines and copying the game data. There are other stories of collectors driving across the country, going to small towns, entering boarded up buildings, and literally stealing the entire arcade machines that was in the building and loading it into their truck and driving back to their house across the country. These collector groups are very sketchy and will sometimes do whatever it takes to get access to game data.

You can find forum posts of them being incredibly upset and raging that Galloping Ghost won't dump the game data of their rare arcade machines online. Galloping Ghosts owner said he made digital backups of their machines but won't upload it online. This enrages some people.
>>
>>10863049
>is there a better arcade emulator then?
The issue with arcade games is that nearly every single arcade board is functionally its own "console". There are quite a few dedicated emulators that are MUCH better than MAME, but only for the specific boards they support. The main thing MAME has going for it is that it's established as THE arcade emulator, so it's got decades of random hardware support built up.
>>
>>10864110
To be fair, you're a pretty big faggot for coming on 4chan, of all places, and grandstanding about piracy.
>>
>>10864172
Grandstanding? In what way? You don't like reading paragraphs?
>>
>>10860536
I had time crisis 3 on ps2 and it was absolutely fantastic
>>
File: 1689457302218.jpg (585 KB, 1330x2000)
585 KB
585 KB JPG
>>10863635
>Man I miss light gun games.

How good is your Silent Scope game? Nothing like walking into an arcade and seeing one of these bad boy cabs
>>
This is an arcade thread right?

Why are there so few pictures?
>>
>>10864639
were using our minds to imagine, we can all imagine the cabinets in our minds if we've played them before. we can rotate the cabinet around and zoom in and out.
>>
File: coomer-2.png (17 KB, 250x208)
17 KB
17 KB PNG
>>10864110
can you post sources of any examples of this?it sounds so ridiculous i dont want to believe it but at the same time i can believe there are people like that. im imagining them being like this except they need to extrooooooct the data at any cost
>>
>>10864178
not him but ive noticed a trend in the last few years where more and more people here think a paragraph or two is an "essay". makes me think theyre incapable of reading.
>>
>>10863847
im the guy who brought up gunmen wars, to me, virtual on and gunmen wars are some of the most enjoyable arcade experiences. might be because both of them have unique control setups and theyre both /m/ games. i love the low polygon mecha look. just crisp and vibrant to look at. if i could buy any cabinets it would be those two games.
>>
>>10860536
>>What are your favorite arcade games
Smash T.V.
Robotron: 2084
NBA Jam
Time Crisis II
The King of Fighters '98
The Punisher
WWF WrestleFest
Cruis'n USA
Rampart
FunHouse (pinball)
>>Tips for getting MAME to work well? It's the only emulator I am not well versed in and I am having trouble every step of the way, feels very different to normal emulation
Beats the fuck outta me.
>>Dream machine to have in the home
Warlords. Cocktail version. Alternately, Tempest or Crisis Zone.
>>
>>10864706
>can you post sources of any examples of this?
Sure. Heres a fairly recent one that made the news.

https://steemit.com/gaming/@gamersclassified/rare-arcade-cab-akka-arrh-gets-dumped-through-dodgy-means

Summary:

>Only 3 prototype cabinets of rare Atari Game were ever made.

>All 3 arcade cabinets are accounted for in private collections. All collectors know eachother.

>One Collector hires local arcade tech to come to house and fix an arcade machine in his home arcade.

>Collector leaves arcade tech alone for a while so he can work.

>Arcade tech sees rare Atari machine nearby.

>He uses chance to open up the rare Atari cabinet. Fast dumps the rom data. (I actually know the method on how he did it so quickly).

>Closes up cab before owner returns.

>Completes job. Leaves collector house. Then Dumps game data online.

>The Dumpers Union (an online group dedicated to hunting down rare arcade game data) suddenly announces they've acquired data for rare Atari game.

>Mame dev team immediately adds game to Mame.

>Owner accuses Mame and DU of using stolen game data, and that Mame would be responsible for spreading stolen data.

>Mame and "The Dumpers Union" responds by saying they got the data from an "anonymous" donation . *wink wink*. That it's not from his machine and they aren't responsible for any criminal activity and can't be blamed.

>Owner says that's not possible. Only 3 machines exist.

>Other 2 collectors come forward online, and confirm their machines were not accessed and they did NOT dump their game data.

>Only one possible source it could have came from.

>Mame team and The Dumper's Union refuse to comment further. Only talk about how happy they are to add rare Atari game to their digital collection.

It's no wonder the Japanese collectors who have rare arcade games absolutely refuse to cooperate with American groups like "The Dumpers Union" and refuse to cooperate with the Mame team.
>>
>>10864710
>if i could buy any cabinets it would be those two games.
What's stopping you?
>>
>>10864706
You should see the forum posts of some of these people. They act like rapid dogs. They obsess, fantasize, and complain about it isn't fair they don't have access to it.

It's really strange because they are typically talking about super niche games that aren't popular to begin with. The reason these games are rare is because they didn't sell much arcade cabinets. Arcade businesses didn't like them and customers weren't interested.

It's like like Asian equivalent of them complaining they can't play "Mahjong Simulator #426". Even though there are so many other Mahjong games, they only want Mahjong Simulator #426 because reasons.
>>
>>10864784
availability mainly, somewhat money, and space in order of significance. where do i look online to buy this stuff?
>>
>>10864781
ive gotta doooooooooooooooomp

i wonder how they rationalize this stuff
>>
>>10864817
the picture youre painting is ripe for parody, im imagining a guy struggling for his life against an intruder at 3 am and it turns violent because the guy just HAS to get the rom. the character would be like some kind of old movie jewel thief but just obsessed with this shit. would either be a deranged crackhead character, or some kind of ultra intelligent well equipped world class legenedary rom extractor. im also imagining a thief level based on this premise. the entire thing is funny.
>>
>>10864846
Places like Ebay and Craigslist. Pretty much the same websites people use to sell stuff. If the site is at least moderately popular, there is probably an arcade cabinet for sale on the site.
>>
>>10864781
>>10864706
Data hoarders are pure evil.
>>
>>10864781
Dumpers are based, hoarders are evil scum. I can't imagine how salty those 3 freaks must've been when other people got to play "their" game without sucking them off first.
>>
>>10865084
First of all they weren't hoarders. The cabinet wasn't hidden away. The collectors took the arcade cabinet to multiple popular gaming conventions per year to share with the public. Thousands of people were able to play it regularly.
>>
>>10865441
>The collectors took the arcade cabinet to multiple popular gaming conventions per year to share with the public. Thousands of people were able to play it regularly.
Always a laugh when hoarders have to make excuses like this.

If they were so open with their property, why didn't they dump it and share it for everyone? Oh, right, because they got off on being gatekeepers. They liked standing next to something someone else made and bragging about it because they happened to own it. Thousands of people could play it, if they happened to go to those conventions? Well, now billions can play it, long after the boards rot to dust and the hoarding retards have had all their shit thrown in the garbage after they die.
>>
File: 1703923294822.jpg (253 KB, 1080x803)
253 KB
253 KB JPG
>>10865450
>If they were so open with their property, why didn't they dump it and share it for everyone?

They have the same philosophy the owner of the very famous and successful Galloping Ghost Arcade. They want future generations to experience what it's like walking into an arcade and playing on a physical cabinet. It's not just about game data. They want to preserve *arcade culture* for future generations of children and adults.
>>
>>10865450
>They liked standing next to something someone else made and bragging about it because they happened to own it.
This sentence says more about you than it does about them. Did you grow up very poor? You have some really messed up insecurities.
>>
>>10865450
If they wanted to brag, then they would spend time and money transporting these arcade cabinets to public conventions. They would just leave it in their homes and brag on forums and YouTube. Clearly that's not the case.
>>
>>10865776
>would spend time and money
would NOT spend time and money

(fixed a typo)
>>
File: 1711086827167429.webm (2.24 MB, 852x476)
2.24 MB
2.24 MB WEBM
>>10865780
its too late. your attempts at fixing your post are futile. On this website a single typo can invalidate an entire welll constructed post. you cant recover from this. its over. im sorry you had to hear it like this but you need to accept the truth. no one here has ever recovered from this in a thread. bro. its over. just learn from your mistake and do better next time...im sorry..
>>
>>10865753
No, I just find it pathetic that there are guys out there who hoard prototypes because of perceived "value". If you want to drive around your copy of Time Crisis 2 to conventions and talk to people about it, great. The game is dumped, anyone who wants to play it can play it already.

>>10865729
>It's not just about game data. They want to preserve *arcade culture* for future generations of children and adults.
And what better way to do that than give out detailed documentation for their machines, right? Oh, you mean the only good machine is an "original" one. Not a nasty MAME fake that runs the exact same code on more modern chips that could be placed in any housing. Games should die forever when their hardware dies.

>>10865776
You can't brag about something if nobody even cares about it. Showing it publicly is one of those things they probably only started doing because people whined about them hoarding the things in the first place, it gives them an excuse for why they're not releasing the code. "If you want to play it so bad, just fly on down to buttcon 2023!".
>>
>>10865832
>And what better way to do that than give out detailed documentation for their machines, right?
You missed a big step here. Show your work. Explain how this preserves the arcade culture of physically going to an arcade business and playing on a physical arcade cabinet?
>>
File: 1683637126136.jpg (87 KB, 540x720)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
Anyone love Raiden Fighters like I do? I played this in arcades for years. Get a cabinet for your home.
>>
>>10865846
>Explain how this preserves the arcade culture of physically going to an arcade business and playing on a physical arcade cabinet?
I mean, you should be able to understand this, right?

Eventually cabinets are going to fall apart. The ICs will die, parts will become irreplaceable like many CRT tubes are already given the unavailability of new old stock and the almost zero percent chance anyone will ever start making new ones. At absolute minimum, preservation involves a ROM backup. Ideally, this extends to larger specifications, how is the control panel constructed? What buttons were used, and what were their activation forces? What were the dimensions of the cabinet?

Only with all of this data can a physical cabinet be recreated, and arcade culture can persist.
>>
>>10865873
>Eventually cabinets are going to fall apart.
Not true. We have wooden arcade cabinets from even 1800s and early 1900s still in service. If they are taken care of, then they will last multiple generations. You've been brainwashed by companies into thinking you need to buy an iPhone every year.
>>
>>10865873
>At absolute minimum, preservation involves a ROM backup.
Rom backups were made of all these arcade cabinets and games. Galloping Ghost Arcade has said this already. It's preserved digitally in multiple locations to ensure it won't be lost. You just don't have access to it. That's what is really bothering you. Don't try to hide behind the curtain of preservation because you want free stuff.

>Ideally, this extends to larger specifications, how is the control panel constructed?
>What buttons were used, and what were their activation forces?
>What were the dimensions of the cabinet?
We know ALL this already. You don't know because you never bothered to research. You just rushed out to type your post to try to sound smart.
>>
>>10861639
That's the one

>>10861430
>>10861665
Cries in Britbong
>>
>>10865981
>Cries in Britbong
You are in luck. Arcade Club in Bury has a Deluxe sitdown Space Harrier.
>>
>>10865873
>CRT tubes are already given the unavailability of new old stock and the almost zero percent chance anyone will ever start making new ones.

Why is this a concern for you...when you probably just emulate at home and use a modern flat panel display?
>>
>>10865947
>We have wooden arcade cabinets from even 1800s and early 1900s still in service.
Yes, because they use very simple mechanisms that can easily be replaced. Maybe in 50 years duping an IC will be trivial for hobbyists, won't matter much if they're all dead and nobody bothered decapping one.

>>10865954
>Galloping Ghost Arcade has said this already. It's preserved digitally in multiple locations to ensure it won't be lost.
I'll believe it when I see it. Anybody who claims to have "made backups" but is unwilling to share them is a charlatan retard. There's no honor being preserved here. The original devs aren't about to release a modern port any day now, you are purely risking data due to your own hubris. You can't give it out to too many people or one of them might "leak" it, what happens when you all go senile or die? What happens when the guy you entrusted it to reneges on the non-binding promise and tries to sell it instead? How many decades will it take for someone to do the right thing because you wouldn't?

>>10866057
I don't care that much about preserving the "arcade culture", but it's just a clear example of failing components that might never be replaced.
>>
>>10866131
>Anybody who claims to have "made backups" but is unwilling to share them is a charlatan retard. There's no honor
Lmao. Then you must really hate Japanese arcade preservation groups. Go complain to them instead of wasting time here. They have a few thousand games that were only released in Japan and have digitally backed them up. But they refuse to work with Mame and Western groups, or give them any roms. Access is granted only to those they trust and have their personal information. Stop wasting time here and go after the bigger fish.
>>
>>10866139
>Then you must really hate Japanese arcade preservation groups.
Sure, I do. They're scum.

>Stop wasting time here and go after the bigger fish.
I'm not going to waste my time calling scum scum. They know they're scum, what's the point?

I'm not posting here with the delusion that you will suddenly realise that you're a faggot, a faggot is just what you are by default because you make excuses for hoarders. Which is why now you've switched to "uhh but I only suck off a few sweaty nerds online for access to a couple of crappy protos, what about these guys who hoard more games they're worse than me!" as your argument. I really don't care if you do or don't release whatever garbage you've collected from buddying up with other losers, I just think you're an absolute joke of a person.
>>
>>10866139
yeah, they maintain rare interesting versions of games and there have been cases where they lose game data and cause games to be lost forever.
preservation cannot be done without accessibility because it removes the purpose of preservation on the first place which is the act of enjoying the media and in general it's an axis of risk where the data can be lost forever thanks to not a lot of people having it, which is what the case should be, that there are retards on other countries doesn't justify the retards locally, even more when the reason we are like this is because of laws made to destroy cultural development by making perpetual copyright instead of just being the a 20 year way to not make copies (something that is flawed on the first place by in general being a law which courfeits development of new ideas and is just a way to steal dev's work instead of just accepting the main creator of a thing by general first appearance and that being more popular by having more time there generating sales to the original creator which happened through all of history with good results, copyright at this moment if you care about your medium is just needed so someone else doesn't put it on that retarded system rather than anything else).
>>
>>10866220
someone else doesn't put the thing you do on that retarded system*
>>
didnt know these japanese arcade groups exist, i wonder if eventually they will make their own emulators with inside knowledge. i feel like the devs who made these games in the 90s are in these groups. well, could be anyway. it would make sense. would be cool if they could jumpstart some stuff by dropping some clues or hints.
>>
>>10866213
>>10866220
You talk about preservation but you ignore reality. The moment the roms get dumped, the Chinese will copy it and release some new updated Chinese pandora's box and sell it for $200 dollars and earn a profit on someone else's work.
>>
>>10866419
>didnt know these japanese arcade groups exist, i wonder if eventually they will make their own emulators with inside knowledge.

Their attitude is a little different from Western game preservation groups. A lot of these Japanese groups are focused on keeping retro arcade cabinets running. They care about arcade culture. Not just the game data. So they preserve the roms with a focus on keeping the hardware working.

For example....some old arcade cabinets use Laserdisc or some other custom disc player. You can't use just any disc player. The game board in the cabinet will ONLY accept connecting to a specific disc player. The custom one that the game company used.

Problem is that these disc players use moving parts. And after decades of use, many of the disc players have broken down, and there is no way to get replacement parts for a 40 year old custom disc player anymore. The factory that made them is long gone.

Imagine a super deluxe arcade motion cabinet that won't work because a small disc player inside is busted. So the entire cabinet will not function.

Solutions? The Japanese game groups have created custom emulator programs that "emulate" the disc player. They remove the broken disc player from the cabinet, and instead connect a small flash drive running the emulator (and game data) to the game board. The emulator fools the game board into thinking its the disc player. Then the emulator loads game data or video footage that the disc player normally would send to the game board. Now the whole cabinet functions again and future kids and adults can use it again. Quite clever.

Western game groups would have just copied the game data and ignored the cabinet. Or thrown the cabinet into the trash after getting a copy of the rom. They don't care about the physical cabinet and just want the game data so they can emulate it in Mame or add it to their digital collection. That's one reason (among many) why Japanese preservation groups don't like them.
>>
>>10866131
It's so weird how you archive fever freaks resort to "oppression" language about these coin munching toys that are unplayable outside the original hardware anyway.
>>
>>10866485
thats kind of based, my guess though is that if the arcade scene didnt die in the west there may have been similar groups. maybe not to the same degree but something similar to what the japanese groups are doing. they have more of an incentive to keep these things running since there are more places to use them. if you could keep the machines running in the west, they would just benefit the private collector dude who has the 100k machine in his garage.
>>
File: 1688845270983.jpg (102 KB, 543x750)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
Does anyone know if any Konami hang pilot arcade cabinets are still around?

I just found out about it and want to try it out. It looks interesting.

Do any still exist?
>>
File: IMG_0817.jpg (3.72 MB, 4032x3024)
3.72 MB
3.72 MB JPG
>>10860536
I’m also lucky to live a half hour away from Galloping Ghost. Been there 3 times.
My favorite games I played there are Ninja Baseball Batman, Atomic Punk 2, Centipede and Millipede, Joust, Sexy Parodius, Dig Dug, Mappy, Galaga, and Mr. Driller G. Not super into fighting games or shooters (besides the Parodius and Fantasy Zone games), but still plenty of great games to play there. Plan to go back around June or so.
I actually got into the Mr. Driller series because of Galloping Ghost. Pic related.
>>
>>10860756
Nice. My arcade had the one with the big screen as well. It felt so spectacular to play this for the first time. Don't think I spoke much English at the time, but even then it was obvious how awful the voice acting was. It didn't lessen the experience. Love the howl at the beginning.
>>
>>10864303
Aw hell yes.
>>
File: Untitled.png (353 KB, 598x276)
353 KB
353 KB PNG
>>10866621
There was one at a game store in Washington until two months ago, so there are still a few in existence. Couldn't tell you where else you'd find another, though.
>>
>>10866440
that would happen if it was a commercial game of any kind by piracy causing that, and for that is ok in my book by being:
1. media which the original devs don't profit from
2. an action which forces hoarders to do things of real development instead of hoarding which normally is for narcissistic purposes, the inherent interest of playing on real hardware is where the interest comes from in which people will enter the places these games are shown so profit isn't being lost at all.
3. literally hoarding something without paying for a license or buying the game while giving money to a third party which is unrelated to the original dev is literally profiting of someone else job, if you can buy and give money to the person who made it pirating is the only moral choice.
stop hoarding.
>>
>>10866485
and the solution of that is that they dump and made new cabs rather than just letting them to rot, they have to do both, something which the western scene has done but i admit requires more effort.
>>
>>10866882
you can't*
>>10866889
just letting the game data to rot*
i think most japanese preservation groups do both but this is for the ones who don't dump the games.
>>
>>10866882
it's you can't buy or give money*
if you have the option of buying the game from the original dev or in a way which supports it buy it obviously.
>>
>>10866485
>Western game groups would have just copied the game data and ignored the cabinet.
Are you retarded? The workaround for the Sega System 24's constantly malfunctioning cassette drive was made by Westerners. Hell, MOST of those kinds of things are developed by the western arcade community, then get used by the Japanese.
>>
>>10866880
Thanks for sharing anon. Did you get to test it out? What did you think of it?
>>
You are talking about Western Arcade fan groups. People who run arcades, post on arcade forums, and care about preserving them.

Western Emulation groups like Mame and the Dumper's Union don't care about cabinets. They only want to dump the rom.
>>
>>10866805
i didnt even know of the place until i saw it posted here, it looks really cool. im wondering about the logistics of traveling there out of state, would probably end up getting a room for the night. are there any affordable places in the area? theres so much there i would probably go for two days or something when im not working. curious why people in here who live close by dont go more often, 25.00 for an entire day is a good value if you went in early and didnt need to drive far. same price as going to see one movie and getting popcorn.
>>
>>10866974
Disagree. A lot of the advancement in arcade machine preservation is done by people who write emulators, which is the reason they have an intimate enough understanding of the hardware to do shit like that.

A good example of that is Initial D. The original arcade game uses a magnetic card system to save data. It was the guy who wrote one of the Dreamcast emulators who managed to decode the reading/writing enough to write an interface that can spoof the card reader using something like a Raspberry Pi. Which in turned opened up the door for using USB drives or NFC reader/writers on physical machines to simulate the save cards (which is a huge deal, since the save cards are becoming rarer and rarer as time goes on). The hacks for things like the English version of Dinosaur King that allows them to run without the management chip (a chip that makes the board stop working until a new one is ordered after 700 plays) were also done by the emulation circle.
>>
>>10867013
>curious why people in here who live close by dont go more often, 25.00 for an entire day is a good value if you went in early and didnt need to drive far. same price as going to see one movie and getting popcorn.

Galloping Ghost is packed full of people every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. A lot of local people do go. It's a very successful arcade. Ironic since other arcade owners didn't think the flat fee freeplay model would work and said Galloping Ghost would go out of business within a year of opening. Egg on their face.
>>
>>10867013
Don't encourage him.
>>
>>10867013
I would at least take a 3 days off and travel there. They have around 1000 games and there's no way you are going to be able to play them all in one visit. So Make a list of arcade cabinets you absolutely must try so you stay focused. Keep in mind if you go on a weekend then it's going to be very busy and full of people. Middle of the week is less busy.
>>
>>10866904
You don't need to know how to program an emulator to fix arcade machines. The people who maintain arcade machines and do physical repairs on game boards do a ton for the arcade community.
>>
>>10867049
I won't respond to this comment until you explain what it had to do with the post you're replying to.
>>
>>10864781
>(I actually know the method on how he did it so quickly).
Please share with the rest of us. Because doing a repair on one machine while figuring out exactly what sort of ROM chips you are dealing with on another and dumping all 15 them properly in a short period of time is pretty impressive. What's even more impressive is the "collector" who claims it was done illegally has yet to name the rogue arcade repairman who did it. You would think warning his fellow collectors would be a high priority for him, instead of just calling him some anonymous "local" repairman and saying nothing else about it.
>It's no wonder the Japanese collectors who have rare arcade games absolutely refuse to cooperate with American groups like "The Dumpers Union" and refuse to cooperate with the Mame team.
The JP dumpers has no issues with the Dumping Union(not dumpers union), their issue is with Guru. ShouTime gave some C2 prototypes to the DU and MAME team, and Guru went ahead and leaked them out. He wanted to sell off the prototypes before the dumps were released, and Guru screwed him over. JP dumpers still work with the MAME team, under the clear understanding that Guru isn't involved in anything they are involved in.
>>
>>10867143
Yeah, it's way more likely the collector dumped it himself and shared it with a friend or something, who then leaked it. The collector needed an excuse so he didn't get blacklisted from the community for it, so he came up with a crazy story about a technician managing to dump it while he wasn't looking.
>>
>>10867031
how many people are the on a weekend versus weekday if you threw a rough guess out? some people is fine but i wouldnt want to be there for consecutive days if it was like 100 people. hen again, the building does look large. as long as it isnt packed its fine.

>>10867034
whats wrong i dont get it.

>>10867039
i might just go on a weekday. it would be less distracting i think. it would be cool to talk to some other people if we like the same stuff but i wouldnt want to waste much time since its so out of the way.
>>
>>10862901
I just did some checking in the wayback machine, and you seem to be a bit off.
One of the earliest pulls of mamedev.org is from Oct 2005, around version 0.102. Checking the whatsnew.txt for 0.102, 0.103, and 0.104, I see the original dev Nicola Salmoria is still active in the project, so he hadn't left yet. On the about page from Oct 2005, I see this:
>MAME is strictly a non-profit project. Its main purpose is to be a reference to the inner workings of the emulated arcade machines. This is done both for educational purposes and for preservation purposes, in order to prevent many historical games from disappearing forever once the hardware they run on stops working.
Found an old tripod site talking about MAME.net, where most of the action happened before they got mamedev.org. Quoted from there:
>Even though MAME allows people to enjoy the long-lost arcade games and even some newer ones, the main purpose of the project is to document the hardware (and software) of the arcade games. There are already many dead arcade boards, whose function has been brought to life in MAME. Being able to play the games is just a nice side-effect. The huge success of MAME would not be possible without the talent of the programmers who joined to form the MAME team. At the moment, there are about 100 people on the team, but there is a large number of contributors outside the team too. Nicola Salmoria is still the coordinator of the project.
So the original dev for MAME is the one who decided to say MAME's main purpose was for preservation, not some people who came along after.
>>
Bump
>>
File: 1712824429033.jpg (423 KB, 1647x1080)
423 KB
423 KB JPG
For those who don't know, *today* was the Grand opening of Galloping Ghost Arcade's new expansion.

A few years ago, they bought the building next to the arcade (formerly a restaurant). For several years construction has been happening. They knocked down the walls, and did a ton of construction, reinforced the structure, added a ton of the electrical work to power more arcades, and connected the buildings together.

In a big ceremony, the owner sliced the fabric that has been hiding the expansion entrance with a Katana. And unveiled the new building. They added a bunch of new of games to the arcade.

It's a good time to plan a trip for anyone planning on visiting the arcade.
>>
File: 1702597510112.jpg (209 KB, 844x776)
209 KB
209 KB JPG
>>10865832
Hard disagree. You don't preserve arcade culture by promoting staying at home and playing on your computer. A computer that probably doesn't have the right hardware to experience the game the way the developer intended.

You preserve arcade culture by providing a dedicated space for people to come together and play games. And by keeping the machines well maintained for as long as possible so future generations of kids can understand.
>>
>>10868395
You can maintain machines while still spending 5 seconds to ensure they're backed up for everyone else in the future.

The guys fucking around with emulation and playing shit on their computers will be preserving things for future generations, retards like you will run out of spare parts eventually and depend on the nasty hackers to bail you out.

The problem is that you think it's either/or for some reason. Thank god others have sense, and understand that "the right hardware" is something that can be replicated.

I think about this kind of thing from time to time, when I'm doing something like playing Outrun 2 with a hilariously overpowered DD wheel while the original cabs used belt drives, and load cell pedals when a basic potentiometer was good enough for the arcades, with the screen res up at 4k instead of 480p. I'm absolutely not experiencing my arcade games "as intended". I'm playing them better than intended, and as time goes on new technology will make old games more accessible and better than ever. Thank god for preservation.
>>
>>10865832
You are just a coward. If you had any real courage and cared about preservation you would be yelling at arcade companies like Namco, Raw Thrills, or Sega etc to release their archive game data to the public. But nope. You are hypocrite. No courage. Just harass old man collectors. Shameful.
>>
>>10868459
What "courage" do you need to send letters to companies that will ignore them? Sega straight up lost HotD forever through incompetency.

I'm not "harassing" you by calling you a worthless pile of shit. I don't expect you to release anything, all your shit will go to estate sale and maybe someone with a soul will pick it up.
>>
>>10868438

Why didn't you just buy the digital download of Outrun for consoles?

Why did you buy the Nintendo Switch re-release of the arcade version and connect it to steering wheel peripherals?

Why didn't you buy ANY official Outrun versions to support the game developers?

At least arcade owners follow the law.

All your arguments sound like you want free stuff so you can emulate on Mame. Preservation is not the same as free access. They are two different issues. Things can be preserved without giving everybody free access.
>>
>>10868472
>What "courage" do you need to send letters to companies
Did you send any letters to these companies???? Did you contact their social media teams to express your concerns??? Nope. Of course not. Jajajaja. You dont practice what you preach. Cowardly hypocrite
>>
>>10868495
>>Why didn't you just buy the digital download of Outrun for consoles?
Doesn't offer any of the features I want.

>Why did you buy the Nintendo Switch re-release of the arcade version and connect it to steering wheel peripherals?
See above.

>Why didn't you buy ANY official Outrun versions to support the game developers?
See above.

The ONLY guys ensuring I can enjoy Outrun 2 are the guys working on Teknoparrot. Why would I play an inferior version of the game, with less features?

>Preservation is not the same as free access.
Preservation requires free access. The wonderful thing about data is that it can actually be preserved to a level that loss is incredibly unlikely. I can attempt to preserve a priceless painting, I can store it in a fireproof safe underground in a bunker or whatever, but a meteor could still hit it. The level of destruction it would take to erase a ROM file of Dig Dug would send humanity back to the stone age, at which point we'd probably have more things to worry about than playing Dig Dug.

Giving your backup to a few buddies isn't preservation. It's a very poor attempt at preservation, maybe. But the natural question is why you didn't give it to everyone, and your only response to this is "uh I paid money for this rare proto, I'm not giving it to you for free!". I thought you wanted to preserve it? Oh, right, you still want to own something that isn't yours.
>>
>>10868495
Who cares about any of this? I'll play games however I want with whatever controller I want.
>but the law
Oh I'm sure I own some version of Outrun somewhere, who gives a shit at this point. Supporting modern SEGA is not going to bring those games back anyway
>>
>>10868521
>The ONLY guys ensuring I can enjoy Outrun 2 are the guys working on Teknoparrot. Why would I play an inferior version of the game, with less features?
And this is where your entire argument falls apart.

1. You are VERY foolish for using a closed source emulator. You can't trust it. Open source versions or nothing.

2. You maybe had a point with Mame since 99% of Mame's library are older than 20 years old and no longer in production. But Teknoparrot is literally stealing from game companies. It runs modern arcade games still being used in today's arcade businesses, manufactured by game companies, and supported by companies. You are just stealing at this point and not supporting game developers. Your entire argument is tainted and not worth listening to anymore. You are Not a preservationist. You've made it clear you are just a pirate that wants free stuff.
>>
>>10865832
You are talking about preserving game data and roms. The other anon is talking about preserving *arcade culture*. Arcade Cabinets do not exist in isolation. They were made because people go out to public arcades, spend money, and play games. Nothing you've suggested actually preserves the arcade culture and arcade businesses fighting to stay open. Present actual ideas that not only save the cabinet but also the culture as well.
>>
>>10860536
>>
>>10868553
>You can't trust it.
My tinfoil hat isn't big enough to believe that running any code without reading through the whole thing first myself is an issue.

>Teknoparrot is literally stealing from game companies.
That's nice, I don't care. Game companies who produce only locked down arcade versions of their games deserve to have the data "stolen" from them, but sadly you can't steal data by making a copy of it.

Imagine being so retarded that you'll justify closed source games running on "proprietary" hardware that's literally a windows box with added DRM, but be against anyone possibly circumventing that DRM so that people can still play the games in a decade or two when the companies shut down and don't bother to release any code. Why would you even want to support companies like this to begin with? Oh right, because they're the only ones keeping the arcades "alive" with flappy bird and gambling machines.

>>10868579
Arcade culture can only be preserved long term by preserving game data. Nobody is going to go to an arcade filled with empty boxes that no longer work.
>>
>>10868395
Bad answer!

The reality of the situation is that retro arcades only "preserve" the games they're interested in. Did you know the last arcade with a Derby Owner's Club machine finally got rid of it in 2019? They said it took up too much space, was a pain in the ass to maintain, and they got tired of having to clean up the cards.

You can wax poetic about "fun experiences" as much as you want, but public arcades aren't nearly common or profitable enough to act as the main pillar of preservation. Even Galloping Ghost, which the one bitch will inevitably use as a counter-example, actively picks and chooses which games it does and doesn't feel like preserving. It generally doesn't give a fuck about unusually large machines, outside of a handful of exceptions, and the owner is very vocal about not wanting anything to do with rhythm games.

The games themselves need to be preserved first and foremost, since they only remain in the public for as long as an arcade feels like housing them.
>>
>>10868521
You don't even use OpenParrot? You deserve to have your computer filled with spyware.
>>
>>10868582
>That's nice, I don't care.
Then why are you even here? This is an ARCADE general thread. Not an emulation or Mame thread. Go post in those threads. Earlier anons were right. You are just trolling arcade threads and ruining the vibe.
>>
>>10868592
NTA but It sounds like you want arcade businesses to fail. I hope you realize that without arcade businesses, no new arcade machines will be made.
>>
Preserving game data is absolutely more important than accurate emulation, if only because data preservation is time sensitive. As more time goes on, more original hardware fails, more boards wind up in the hands of people who will never back up the contents, more auctions for extremely rare boards come and go. Accurate emulation can be achieved whenever, as long as somebody with know-how is willing to invest the time. So yes, putting in effort to track down and dump game hardware (and even recording footage of original said hardware operating, for reference) is more important than whether or not a particular game currently has perfect emulation.
>>10868395
Some people on this board seem to unironically believe that sitting at home, grinding for 1CCs on MAME with a keyboard, is more faithful to arcade culture than actually going to an arcade. Probably the same kind of people who think getting a AA/AAA score on DDR with a keyboard or gamepad is as valid as actually doing it on an actual DDR arcade platform with your feet.
>>
>>10868660
no one is going to make emulators for any of this stuff 20 years from now because most of the people who care about this stuff and have the knowledge to do anything with it will start dying off. zoomers are not going to make arcade emulation software for 90s games 20 years from now. gen alpha is not going to give a fuck about emulating 90s arcade games enough to do it either. and even if they did care which they wont, they arent going to have the knowledge to do it that people who grew up with or played this stuff in arcades had. the barrier to entry is too high. so archiving this stuff at this point an not concentrating on an emulator is retarded. niche small amounts of zoomers and beyond may be interested in playing this games as a novelty, like, 0.005% of them. but none of them will be able to make an emulator. so if it doesnt get done in the next 5 or 10 years that archived data is worthless. the window is closing. archiving all of these old games and not making an emulator NOW is just pissing in the wind. anyone should be able to think 2 steps ahead and understand this. archiving this stuff at this point is just doing the bare minimum to make yourself think that you're "helping". basically the equivalent of donating 5.00 to some lost cause to feel better about yourself.
>>
>>10868827
>archiving this stuff at this point is just doing the bare minimum to make yourself think that you're "helping". basically the equivalent of donating 5.00 to some lost cause to feel better about yourself.
You're writing about the hypothetical of nobody being able to, or caring to learn how to, properly emulate this stuff in the future, which if that is taken as a meaningful argument, then (hypothetically) in 10 years, maybe nobody will care about playing them either, so why bother preserving or emulating anything at all?
The reality is that data stored on old (and sometimes very rare) hardware is at an increasing risk of being lost with each passing day. At any given point in the future, people will still have the potential to learn how to improve emulation if things are properly preserved, but nobody will be able to go back in time and recover data which was sent to a landfill or once stored on fried flash ROMs or EPROMs.
And the other reality is that spending time on one thing doesn't detract from the other. People who work on improving emulators aren't necessarily the same ones who spend resources obtaining the hardware.
>>
>>10865947
How many of these non vidya arcades are seen often?
>>
>>10863046
member when laundries, pharmas, local food joints and even barber shops had arcades?
>>
>>10868632
Nope. It's the truth. Public arcades are a flimsy source of preservation for older arcade machines, since their main priority to keep an audience coming. They're simply limited in the number of random D-list games they're able to keep on the floor, even if they have them. Even the exceptions to the rule have floor space issues that prevent a lot of the more intricate machines from having space.

There are MANY arcade games right now that are literally impossible to find a public arcade, and likely never will be again, just because nobody gives a shit about them. And many, many more that are literally impossible to find outside of a single cramped arcade in Chicago (and I'm not even talking about the prototypes, I'm talking about shit like Ninja Clowns that no arcade will bother to house again if something happens to that place).

The reality is that the games need to be preserved first, then people can worry about "arcade culture".
>>
>>10868878
There's probably 1 or 2 dozen left in North America. Maybe. They are interesting and unique.
>>
>>10868871
the people who care to play these games will be alive for another 30 or 40 years. most of the people with the knowhow and specialized knowledge (which takes years to acquire) have already started dying off. most of them will be gone in the next 20 years. Thats why I explained the window to make proper specialized arcade emulators IS closing. If you're thinking using logic and reason, this should be self evident. The likelihood of people today with no or little knowledge learning enough to make any of this stuff is already slim. Which is why i said the barrier to entry is high. There is a large upfront cost of time to learn enough to do this. The resources to learn this stuff are also slowly dissapearing as more and more of the old web dissapears as well. Zoomers and gen A have almost no chance to create an emulator for these games. An incredibly small number of them will care to play these, so an even smaller amount of them will have the motivation to participate in creating emulators for such old hardware. The people who CARE to PLAY the games will be around for another 30 years. So if the emulator was made in the near future, which is the only likely chance it will happen, its benefits will be long lasting. But if it doesnt happen soon, it isnt GOING to happen. It isnt a hypothesis or a theory it just is common sense. You can throw words around like POTENTIAL but as the knowledge recquired to actually get this shit done because more and more esoteric and irrelevant no one is going to sink 5 years of their life into figuring it all out. The POTENTIAL to create the emulators is already here and nothing has happened. we have already long passed the window where it was at its highest likelihood to happen.
>>
>>10868909
adding on to my post because it was too long to include everything. The people who would have been most valuable to the project would have been people who were involved in the creation of these old machines explaining things. Many of them are dying off or already gone. Today we still have lots of people who have 40 or 30 years of experience tinkering with arcade hardware, who have an accumulation of specialized knowledge. They might have a chance of creating proper emulation if they commit to it now. But every year more of these people die. in another 10 years how many of these people will be active let alone alive to work on this stuff? So that just leads to a situation where the only people who can get the job done are people who really dont know much of anything most likely having no chance to do it. People today who are in their 20s or 30s who care about this stuff are extremely unlikely to have the time, motivation, access to knowledge, a team to work with, patience and perseverance to build up the knowledge to get proper emulators made. And every year that goes by this problem will be exacerbated. Yeah there is the potential some zoomer will spend 10 years of his life figuring it out dedicating his entire life to it. but its not going to happen.
>>
File: 1684726042376.gif (2.46 MB, 320x240)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB GIF
>>10868592
>Even Galloping Ghost, which the one bitch will inevitably use as a counter-example, actively picks and chooses which games it does and doesn't feel like preserving.

Doc Mack (owner of GG) has stated that the arcade cabinets they have come from other collectors and people in the arcade collector community. He buys what he can afford. Garage sales, thrift stores, or even broken machines they fix up and restore.

Like a rare arcade board that was donated from someone in USA, but is 4 states away. They say it's Free if Doc comes and picks it up himself. So he rents a uhaul and drives over a weekend to pick it up.

Or a rare arcade board from an arcade fan who lives in Spain and wants to sell it to Doc Mack for cheap if Doc can put it in a cabinet for people to enjoy.

If he doesn't have a particular machine it's because they haven't been able to find it, or find one for sale at a good price. He wants to buy support the arcade community and buy from locals first. He feels that it helps cultivate food relationships with fans and saves some cabinets from being destroyed or thrown out.

>It generally doesn't give a fuck about unusually large machines, outside of a handful of exceptions, and the owner is very vocal about not wanting anything to do with rhythm games.

There are numerous big machines at Galloping Ghost. He's the only public arcade in the entire world that has a working Sega R360. It was part of the expansion that was unveiled today.

Yes he not a huge fan of rhythm games but he doesn't hate them. He grew up in the 80s and 90s America. So his focus is to save the games he grew up with first. He said he doesn't have enough room and there are still several hundred games they have in off-site storage.

Even you have to admit that Rhythm games fans are an entirely different beast. They are fanatics when it comes to their Dance machines. Their own sub-culture within the gaming community. If you want to appeal to them then you better be serious.
>>
>>10869000
Your tangents do very little to counter the points of the post you're replying to. Try again, but be more conscience.
>>
File: g-loc-r360.png (376 KB, 640x480)
376 KB
376 KB PNG
>>10869000
>GG has no big machine
>There are numerous big machines at Galloping Ghost. He's the only public arcade in the entire world that has a working Sega R360.
Yeah I thought his statement was dead wrong. GG has a MASSIVE Sega R360. No one has one except them.
>>
>>10869017
Isn't that one of the exceptions he mentioned? Of the 1000+ machines at Galloping Ghost, I think less than 20 of them are full-size deluxe cabs.
>>
>>10869000
>So his focus is to save the games he grew up with first. He said he doesn't have enough room and there are still several hundred games they have in off-site storage.
And that's exactly the point. Arcades don't have unlimited space. Even the biggest arcade in the world can't afford to make space for a lot of games, and they manage to sustain themselves entirely on their reputation for their size.

This is why public arcades will never be the forefront of preservation. You have no idea how many arcades I've seen that have the only copy of their machine in the country, possibly the world, but ultimately had to get rid of it in favor of something people actually wanted to play. Just because Galloping Ghost goes out of its way to preserve machines doesn't mean it's viable in the slightest. Especially since, as you yourself admitted, when they're the only ones who can feasibly do it, they have to pick and choose what does and doesn't get preserved based on personal preference.

(on a side note, I'm in the camp that believes Galloping Ghost is more of a museum of arcade games than an arcade. It preserves "arcade culture" in the same sense that a museum preserves dinosaur bones)
>>
>>10869043
No one expects a single arcade to have everything, but collectively they should have the majority of what's out there. If you combine all retro arcade museums, barcades, and retro arcades then they should have a lot saved. This whole argument is pointless and I have no idea what you are even arguing anymore

>This is why public arcades will never be the forefront of preservation.
Retro Arcades save full arcade cabinets. No one else does that. Unless you can think of another business that does it.
>>
>>10869156
>If you combine all retro arcade museums, barcades, and retro arcades then they should have a lot saved
That's what I'm arguing: They don't. Despite how many arcades there are floating around, there are very few who actually go out of their way to house unusual games. Galloping Ghost is an EXTREME outlier. The vast majority of retro arcades stick mostly to popular games. And even the ones who don't tend to only have a couple of oddities mixed in with the usual stuff. A lot of the other arcades who actually had machines you can't find elsewhere had to rotate them off the floor, just because nobody was playing them.

The number of publicly available machines outside of Galloping Ghost is way, WAY lower than you'd expect.
>>
>>10860536
>20 minutes from Galloping Ghost
I was so let down with this place. When I went there seriously like 70% of the machines I wanted to play were broken somehow. Was worth the admission just for the 30% that worked, but a lot of disappointment too.
>>
>>10869243
>The number of publicly available machines outside of Galloping Ghost is way, WAY lower than you'd expect.
No. There's roughly 6,700 registered arcade businesses in the United States of America as of 2023.
>>
>>10869268
>70% of the machines I wanted to play were broken somehow.
Which ones did you want to play? A lot specific machines see heavy use.
>>
>>10869315
Cyber Sled
>>
>>10868253
>For those who don't know, *today* was the Grand opening of Galloping Ghost Arcade's new expansion.
Cool. What games did they add?
>>
>>10868827
Not that anon, but this isn't true.
We are just now getting good Laserdisc dumps and SGI workstation emulation. Neither has been relevant for over 20 years. We were stuck with good-e-nuff DOSbox emulation for DOS gaming for ages until around 2014/2015 when PCem finally became a decent alternative. PS1 emulation was a hodgepodge mess of plugins until 2019 when Duckstation finally came around. We didn't even have an NES emulator that could be called accurate(or even really tried to be accurate)until PuNES came around about 9 years ago.
Getting shit dumped and documented means it can eventually be emulated one day, like all those SGI workstation OS discs that were completely worthless until they got the emulation working. If it doesn't get dumped and documented while functional copies still exist, then it can be lost forever.
>b-b-b-but zoomers won't X!
Good job on completely missing the point. If it's dumped and documented, it will be able to be emulated eventually because all the data and needed information is there. It doesn't matter if Zoomy McZoom doesn't know how to program an emulator. The next generation that grew up hating Zoomy McZoom might take up the skillset just for the hell of it. There are hobbyists that make swords and armor in 2024, and both of those have been obsolete since the gun was invented. And they were able to take up the hobby and succeed because information on how to make swords and armor has been well documented for centuries. Doesn't matter that the US hasn't had a sword factory for generations, the information isn't gone.
>>
>>10869312
And, when put together and subtracting Galloping Ghost, what percent of arcade games released are available to play in public in the US?

There are a LOT of arcades in the US, but you'd find very quickly that most of them have the same handful of games.
>>
>>10869268
>>10869317
Sorry to hear that. That's the one negative I will say about GG. They have so many people visiting that their machines sometimes go down more often. Cyber Sled was working when I visited. Just bad luck of the draw. Don't let that stop you. You should visit again though.

Keep in mind that there are only 2 people who maintain the entire video arcade. Doc Mack and 1 other tech do all the maintenance. He has said in interviews the #1 problem he has is not the game boards. It's almost Always the CRT screens constantly needing repair.
>>
>>10860536
>Tips for getting MAME to work well?
Look for torrents with complete romsets,
Anything else is a mess and a waste of time.
>>
File: 1687784053807.jpg (2.18 MB, 5184x3456)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB JPG
>>10869317
>Cyber Sled
One of my favorites.
>>
Cool! An arcade thread.

Can you guys please help me out? I'm looking for a specific arcade cabinet. It's called Warrior Blade.

I played it as a kid at my arcade. But the arcade closed down, and I never saw it again. It looks exactly like this picture.

Does anyone know where I can find one? I don't have a clue on how to locate this arcade cabinet.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
>>
>>10870096
I looked at the Galloping Ghost website, since they have like 970+ games, and looks like they have the game you’re looking for. Think the full title of the game is Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga Episode III.
>>
File: IMG_20231021_183511705.jpg (2.01 MB, 4080x3072)
2.01 MB
2.01 MB JPG
>>10869317
For what it's worth, there are THREE Cyber Sled machines in Madison, Wisconsin. It's not really that rare.
>>
>>10865954
>a rogue truck careens into the front of galloping ghost tomorrow killing the owner and senior staff
>games never get dumped and are lost to time
BG NO RE
>>
>>10870562
Hey anon. Thank you for the reply. I just looked through about 300 pictures of their arcade and I couldn't find it. Are you sure they have it?
>>
>>10870494
May I ask if you have a picture of their Warrior Blade arcade machine?
>>
>>10870096
I couldn't find it. I don't think any still exist. What country did you play it in?
>>
>>10869000
I wonder how often some poor guy working at the arcade had to clean puke from all over that machine
>>
File: 6y7ymf8ohu271.jpg (160 KB, 1280x960)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
Where are my Laundromat arcade anons at???

Who here played arcade games at their local Laundromat??
>>
File: IMG_20231021_135901955.jpg (1.26 MB, 4080x3072)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>10870903
The one I posted is from Aftershock Classic Arcade. It's in kind of a weird spot in the back corner, which might be why there aren't any photos of it on Google. It's absolutely there, though.

The one >>10869775 posted is in Nerd Haven.

Pic related is in Geeks Mania. As you can see, it was out of order when I went a couple months ago, so it may or may not be working again by now.
>>
Are there any retro arcades in the Netherlands?
>>
File: Pixel arcade candy cabs. .jpg (153 KB, 1500x1500)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>10871468
There are several.

Blast Galaxy Arcade Club in the Amsterdam.

There's also Pixel Arcade at Tramkade 24
5211 VB Den Bosch
They focus a little lore on Candy cabs and rhythm games.
>>
>>10871468
I know there was this one SUPER esoteric one in Belgium run by a hardcore collector that was full of Candy Cabs and was running all sorts of crazy shit, like a few of those Japanese 18+ games. I have no idea if it survived 2020, though.
>>
>>10871502
Asking because I'm going in June and my friend wants to go to Gamestate in Utrecht, which looks like it will suck ass. I was trying to use google but I can't really find any good ones over there.
>>
>>10871507
Not sure if I wanna go to Belgium.
>>10871502
Pixel looks nice. They got Naomi.
>>
>>10871508
>Gamestate
They have a few pinball and a very small amount of retro cabs like Time Crisis 3 or 4 (can't remember which).

But they are mostly a modern arcade with modern games. But 92% of the arcade is modern games. Stuff like worlds largest Pac Man, star wars Battlepod, piano keys, raw Thrills super bikes, halo fireteam raven, and ALOT of ticket games.
>>
>>10871543
I wanna play some fighting games, beatemups, and racing games. Not interested in basketball, hockey, pinball, etc.
>>
File: blast Galaxy 1.jpg (188 KB, 720x540)
188 KB
188 KB JPG
>>10871468
Blast Galaxy Arcade in Amsterdam
>>
File: blast Galaxy 2.jpg (100 KB, 720x720)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>10871554
>>
File: blast Galaxy 3.jpg (104 KB, 720x540)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>>10871559
>>
File: blast Galaxy 4.jpg (252 KB, 1200x798)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
>>10871569
Last one for Blast Galaxy
>>
>>10871572
Gonna kill my buddy in turd strike. Lil bro already saying he doesn't want to go, because "there's so many other things to do in Amsterdam". He's ducking the smoke.
>>
File: sega games arcade.jpg (900 KB, 1079x1600)
900 KB
900 KB JPG
>>
>>
>>10871729
Half of these don't even run properly in Mame. Even after 20 years they still haven't fixed it.
>>
>>10871021
Sorry, I don’t have a picture of it. I just saw the game under their list of games. Maybe if you look around their Facebook, or maybe look through the reviews to see if anyone took a picture of it. Only have a picture of the entrance and another game (Mr. Driller G) saved on my phone.
If you ever go, hopefully you can find the game.
>>
>>10865994
Hooray. That's only just over an hour from me. Thanks anon.
>>
>>10868495
if you believed in what you claim (that people should play in person on real hardware), you should still support emulation because that helps people make reproduction cabinets which allows people to play more
>>
>>10872427
Not that specific anon but its pretty annoying Chinese and other Asian companies take Mame and download full Mame game libraries, and put them on Pandora box emulator boxes. Then sell those to customers online who don't know any better. It's one thing if it's some guy in a garage trying to fix or build they own custom arcade cabinet for their home. It's another thing entirely for large big companies to make money off emulation. Until that's addressed, I can't support it wholeheartedly
>>
>>10872492
>I can't support X because shady chinese companies have found a way to profit off of it
Let me try to explain this in words you can understand.
>person creates item/software
>chinese company finds way to clone it and produce it for cheaper(or just steals it and copies it outright), does so
>18 other chinese companies do the same thing in the time it takes the original person to spend the time and effort to try and get Amazon and other online marketplaces to stop selling the clone product from the first company
>after that company is shut out of the marketplace, they change names and do it again, rinse and repeat
The international airplane repair industry has been fighting this very problem with strict regulations and careful vetting of supply chains. They still suffer from knock-off chinese parts being used and even sold by vendors who don't even know they are selling a knock-off. These parts aren't built to the same specs as the originals, and fail more often. Outside of pilot error, these knock-off parts are considered to be the #2 cause of aviation accidents.
If multi-billion dollar industries with full backing of international governments can't win this battle, why do you expect Joe Programmer making a free emulator to be able to fight it?
>>
>>10872492
Didn't Mame get into legal trouble many years ago and they had to change their focus from emulation to "preservation" in order for companies to stop threatening them with legal action?
>>
>>10860536
Back when I was in like middle school my grandparents would take my brother, cousin and I out camping for a few weeks each summer. At the campground was a visitor center, which had a Time Crisis 2 machine. Us three spent legit hours just scrapping together quarters to get more runs on the game. We eventually beat it and had a big group hug together. This was during a really turbulent time in my life, and this is one of the few good memories I have from that time, having a blast playing TC2 with my brother and cousin. Thanks for listening
>>
>>10872629
If they did, it happened before the year 2000, as that was the earliest sighting in the wayback machine I could find for the preservation goal as posted about here:
>>10867189
>>
>>10872658
>This was during a really turbulent time in my life, and this is one of the few good memories I have from that time, having a blast playing TC2 with my brother and cousin. Thanks for listening

Don't worry anon. We've all been there. We get you. Sometimes as kids these small moments of fun are all we have as an escape during this crazy world. For me it was playing Neo Geo and Metal Slug in a 7 Eleven corner store and drinking a slurpee with my friends on the weekend.

You should buy a Time Crisis 2 cabinet and put it in your house. Invite your brother and cousin to play to relive the good old times.
>>
>>10872492
You're just making an excuse to cover up your emotional reasoning for not wanting emulation. There is nothing you can do to bring back arcade culture, everything you're doing to fight against emulation is hurting arcades, not helping.
>>
>>10860536
Arcades are dead in central Europe. In Spain and Italy they lasted a little longer, so I still could enjoy them on holidays. All gone now. Bought a PWM and play on FBneo with an arcade stick, dreaming of the good old days
>>
>>10873403
>Bought a PWM

I wish I could. I am so jealous.
>>
>>10873405
I was lucky to buy a pvm1440-qm from an old guy. He was a video enthusiast and bought it in the 90ies for cutting his private videos (or propably cutting his favorite vintage porn scenes into one disgusting tape).
Spent 380€ and am very happy. It's only 14", but man the colors and brilliance is sick. Also, at that size you don't see the lines so much. It sits on my desk and I don't even recognize how small it is anymore.
Search for one Anon, I had to check occasionally for a few months
>>
>>10873504
That's still overpriced, but compared to what these bitchnerds are selling them for it's a steal. There's no searching, they don't exist where I'm at, and I don't wanna ship something as heavy and fragile over multiple countries. Not that I'd find one for less than 3k online anyways.
>>
>>10873403
>arcades dead in Central Europe.
That's because Greece and Germany banned arcades from their countries for decades. I think the ban was lifted in Germany only a few years ago, but they are still banned in Greece I believe. They were considered gambling devices for children and were banned for decades during the height of arcades. So no arcade culture could ever develop.
>>
>>10873707
What the fuck lmao? That's satanic.
>>
>>10860536
Grew up in LaGrange. It's a must visit when I visit.
>>
>>10873721
They say it was to protect young people. But the reality is that lGreece has state run gambling and legal Casinos. They didn't want competition from arcades and internet cafes taking away customers from Casinos. So they lobbied the government to ban arcades. It's all very insidious.
>>
File: 1709575882663.jpg (178 KB, 836x470)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
You may not like it but this is what peak 90s arcades were like.
>>
>>10873707
>but they are still banned in Greece I believe. They were considered gambling devices for children and were banned for decades during the height of arcades. So no arcade culture could ever develop.
First time hearing this. Any source of news of this?
>>
File: 1688190567235.jpg (95 KB, 960x720)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
So someone just abandoned a Sega R360 in the middle of a field in Ireland and let it sit there for 20 years.
>>
File: outrun.png (674 KB, 1036x781)
674 KB
674 KB PNG
Anyone here got pictures of old design drawings for arcade machines, or some good sources for them? Love this shit.
I'll post the few I've actually got.
>>
File: atariart21.jpg (43 KB, 640x583)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>10875451
>>
>>10875452
>>
File: arcade-fullwidth.jpg (833 KB, 1957x1268)
833 KB
833 KB JPG
>>10875453
and the last one
>>
File: AEA-2.jpg (293 KB, 1000x1000)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
The greatest cabinet shooter of all time. Period.
>>
File: 1685527266331.jpg (125 KB, 659x700)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
Giant CRT screens are way better than rear projection TVs.
>>
>>10876109
What is the name for this type of arcade machine?
>>
>>10876009
I always thought this game was normie tier Dave and Busters type garbage when I saw it. Is it actually good? There's no way it's better than Time Crisis and stuff like that, surely.
>>
>>10877062
That is a Pedestal style arcade cabinet.
>>
>>10877309
I haven't played it personally, but apparently it's an underrated fun game. Alien fans and even regular people seem to like the game. Several people have told me they like it.
>>
>>10877309
It's not Time Crisis tier, but from what I hear on forums and social Media...people enjoyed it.

Some have fond memories of the game and buy it for their home at add

The game came out right after I stopped going to arcades regularly.

I only recently started up again and I only go to retro arcades.

I'll add it to the list of games I need to try.
>>
File: 1706580722646.jpg (35 KB, 338x252)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Open yourself up a traveling arcade business. Like they do overseas
>>
>>10878932
Whats this? From India or something?
>>
File: 20240126_232219.jpg (2.9 MB, 4032x3024)
2.9 MB
2.9 MB JPG
I've never been to a proper arcade, but there's a pretty great barcade in West Toronto I go to from time to time. From what I understand, the guy running it fixes up old machines and then puts them out for people to play. There's a cover charge, but other than that you can play for as long as you'd like. Drinks are somehow reasonably priced. It's not the real thing, obviously, but I like to think it just barely captures the spirit of old arcades. I guess it's impossible to truly capture that, because people stopped using arcades/malls/etc as social hubs decades ago. I do really miss arcade machines being in random shops and pizza parlours, though.
>>
File: 1696696369620.jpg (1.93 MB, 1512x2016)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB JPG
>>10879645
>>10879645
Did you ever visit Playdium theme park in Mississauga before it closed down? Massive arcade with retro games and machines.

BTW dude...you are near one of the world's most retro arcade. Visit Skylon Tower in Niagara Falls near your location. In the very bottom basement level, there is a huge hidden retro arcade. Take the escalator to the underground area all the way to very bottom underground. There is a hidden forgotten arcade. Pic Related.

The arcade has an interesting story. It was Built Decades ago during the peak of the arcade era. Then left to sit there. Years ago, management thought about getting rid of it and using the space for something else. But the money, effort, time required to physically remove the machines from underground and renovate the area wasn't worth it to them. Plus it gives kids something to do while Visiting Niagara falls. So management left the whole area alone. Only investing the bare minimum money to keep the arcade clean, presentable, and keep the current machines running. But not buying any new machines at all. None.

So it's remained a time capsule of sorts. No machine newer than 2002-ish. But the whole arcade is a mix of 1980s, 1990s, and early 2000s arcades. Even a few very rare deluxe machines like deluxe After Burner and several others. The fact management doesn't want to spend money to remove the machines from this inconvenient location has saved the arcade from destruction. Now it's like a time capsule of a former era. Go. Visit. it.
>>
File: 1689679879999.jpg (237 KB, 680x906)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>>10880752
Want to play some Tekken 3?
>>
>>10880752
Huh, never knew that place existed. It looks pretty cool. I'll have to make a day trip down that ways some time.
>>
I always wondered, with cabinets being so scarce, would there be a market for "remade" cabinets? Like, building and designing a brand new cabinet while trying to stay true to the original cabinet design and artwork and use an original arcade board?

And even provide an option to use an LCD to lower the cost? Because let's face it, arcade-grade CRTs are becoming increasingly harder to find
>>
>>10881743
Sure, there's a market for that garbage. There are plenty of products out there appealing to the home user who wants a crappy little mini cab with a shitty version of Time Crisis running with crap guns on a tiny screen you have to stand 6 feet away from.
>>
>>10881793
>>
>>10876009
that's T2.
>>
File: 1707194893036.jpg (173 KB, 800x654)
173 KB
173 KB JPG
>>10881743
>I always wondered, with cabinets being so scarce, would there be a market for "remade" cabinets?

There is, but the game has to be incredibly popular. One example is Ice Cold Beer by Taito. Made in the 80s. Still very very popular today. However the game uses physical parts which can break, and replacement parts aren't made anymore. The game is still very popular in barcades so every owner of the machine is fighting eachother to find any spare parts to fix these machines and keep them going. Another peoblem is the original cabinet can't be set to more than 25 cents per play.

Taito was petitioned to remake the machine. They agreed and a small factory was opened in the USA to remanufacture new Ice Cold Beer Cabinets for arcades and barcades. The game uses newer parts to make it more reliable, and operators can set the machine to more than 25 cents now. It's selling well from what I hear.

So it's entirely possible but it would depend on how popular the game is.
>>
>>10869043
>forefront of preservation.

"preservation". like those beggars who keep e-begging for money online but never let the public check out the games they collected IRL?

or the MAME devs who suddenly want to insert every single Game n Watch into arcade ROMsets, but never actually play them, because they said so?
>>
>>10871772
>Even after 20 years they still haven't fixed it.
Mame devs are "archivists" in their own words...
>>
File: 1685261818064.jpg (101 KB, 640x480)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>10881841
>A few hundred of these cabinets were made in early 90s
>Almost all were mindlessly scrapped over the years
>Only two physically still exist in the world
>One is broken and can't be fixed because no spare parts exist so it

What a shame about what happened to this cabinet. We should have preserved a few more of them for future generations.
>>
>>10881939
>Ice Cold Beer by Taito.
absolute never heard of it or care? or bar thots and drunks really into this shit?
>>
File: 1683024337781.gif (503 KB, 200x150)
503 KB
503 KB GIF
>>10881958
You will show respect to vintage games you dweeb.
>>
>>10881958
Yeah, it was basically the Big Buck Hunter of its time. It was a random machine bars would stick on the floor to give drunks a few minutes of entertainment.
>>
>>10879645
>There's a cover charge, but other than that you can play for as long as you'd like.
that's better value for money than most arcades back in the day.
Most arcades would just set games to the highest difficulty, so you will be wasting at least 20 bucks or so(if you suck like me) to beat a short shooter game. or maybe spend even more to "learn" the game so you can beat it on 1 token.

these days the games in modern SEA monky arcades are both overpriced and mostly hard. no more rare arcade machines found in a random part of a 1990s chalet resort that charge only 20 cents for 1 play. now it's more like 1 dollar per token or more. or it's all digital with cards, and instead of giving you a discount because the owners don't have to mess with big heavy bags of metal tokens, they make the games even more expensive for such "high-tech" arcades!
>>
>>10881958
They were EVERYWHERE back in the day. Especially in bars. But they were gradually retired when they broke down.
>>
File: 1691781283761.jpg (293 KB, 1077x787)
293 KB
293 KB JPG
>>10881958
My arcade had it for a while. Pretty popular. It disappeared in the 90s and got replaced Sega and Namco games like pic related.
>>
File: 1698296047452.jpg (163 KB, 841x630)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
What is so strange about arcade history is that we, the human race, made these great amusement machines. Millions were made worldwide.Then one day... we just decided to throw most of them in the trash after years of service, and destroy them.

Did no one stop and ask maybe we should save more of them for the future? And now retro arcades are popular and there's a huge demand for these old classic arcade machines again. Maybe if didn't throw out most of them we wouldn't have so much trouble keeping them running now.
>>
>>10882075
Lots of arcade games are trashed and destroyed because giving them away could lead to a competing arcade repairing them and eating profits
>>
>>10860536
>mame
bwahahahahah

the only "good thing" about that software is it got me into physical pcb collecting and building my own cabinets

FUCK MAME
FUCK RETROARCH
>>
>>10881957

Dave and Busters scooped up a bunch and converted them to some kind of water themed or airplane game. Can’t recall the name.

The one in Funword, NH continues to rot on the top floor all by its lonesome. It’s a travesty.
>>
>>10861141
Midgets deserve to play video games too
>>
File: 193906.jpg (91 KB, 800x800)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>10882002
>that's better value for money than most arcades back in the day.
Oh yeah I think the "pay for the day" business model is way better for them. The drinks are pretty much the same price you'd find in any other bar, too. There's a barcade in Ottawa, but they only do the "pay for the day" thing once a week. It's okay, but the one in West Toronto is a lot better. I'll probably go back there again soon.

It got me wondering how much money you'd spend at an arcade in the 80s and 90s? If you think about it, and squint a little, the arcade business model was actually kind of similar to the streaming/gamepass model we have today. Kind of. Console games back then were expensive, and for a time, didn't look even remotely as good as their arcade counterparts. If you spent 5 bucks an hour playing games at an arcade, and the average NES game was 40 bucks at the time, then after 8 hours at an arcade you could've bought 1 NES game. But it was a lot harder to tell which NES games were any good, whereas it'd be immediately apparent after one game which arcade games were good. Plus you would've had variety at an arcade, and cutting edge tech (for a while). Now, I doubt 5 bucks would last you and hour (at least by the 90s), but maybe in the 80s you could? 25 cents per play at 3 minutes per play is 5 bucks an hour. Though, I assume by the 90s it would've been like 10 bucks an hour minimum. It kind of tracks with the time period that arcades were at their height. When playing at an arcade was better and cheaper than playing at home.

Does anyone here remember what the average "hourly rate" in the arcades were? How much money you'd spend in an hour there if you were of average skill?
>>
>>10882649
There was no "average 'hourly rate' in the arcades". There's also measurement of "average skill" that's not totally asspulled. And there's a metric fuckton of other factors that make any attempt at giving a number retarded.
But I'm sure many larping zoomers will disagree.
>>
>>10882649
>It got me wondering how much money you'd spend at an arcade in the 80s and 90s?
Everything was a quarter (25 cents) until the mid 90s when games started charging 50 cents to even 1 dollar for super deluxe cabinets.

(not counting those dumb laserdisc games in the 80s which cost 50 cents and ate are your quarters if you made 1 mistake).

>How much money you'd spend in an hour there if you were of average skill?

It really depends on the games you choose to play. But if you chose games that only cost a 25 cents to 50 cents, then you could probably make $15 dollars last an hour if you were careful and played decently. $20 dollars if you were playing really sloppy.

This is assuming you don't stop for a break for a few minutes to talk, laugh, or joke around with your buddies. Most people don't sit for an hour straight playing arcade games. They play a game, walk around for a bit, play another Game, joke around, talking with other players, play arother game, etc. Arcades were also a social hub for people.

This is also assuming you aren't burning your quarters getting your butt beat by the pro players on Street Fighter or other fighting games. Where you lose in less than a minute.
>>
>>10882693
I never suggested the number be treated as a universal standard across the world. I was asking how much, on average, you personally would spend at your local arcade in an hour. If you went to your local arcade regularly, surely you'd have some idea of hourly cost.
>>
>>10882693
esl?
>>
>>10872549
>The international airplane repair industry has been fighting this very problem with strict regulations and careful vetting of supply chains. They still suffer from knock-off chinese parts being used and even sold by vendors who don't even know they are selling a knock-off. These parts aren't built to the same specs as the originals, and fail more often. Outside of pilot error, these knock-off parts are considered to be the #2 cause of aviation accidents.

now do it for >>>/o/
>>
>>10882075
CRT screens are big toxic hazards. most biz wouldn't wanna keep them around if they have no idea how to fix them. most arcades did for money, duh? they don't care about fanboyism or anything.
>>
>>10882880
But you don't have to destroy the whole machine. Just replace the broken crt with an LCD.
>>
>>10882779
>what i actually meant was...
Many such cases
In an hour I'd definitely spend less than a quarter
>>10882795
zop?
>>
>>10882779
>I was asking how much, on average, you personally would spend at your local arcade in an hour.
Different anon here. It depends on the arcade. Landromat arcades and Corner store arcades were the ones near me. They had a couple machines inside. In an hour? Probably 5 dollars. Depends on the game tho. Fighting games against other players eat your quarters faster.
>>
>>10882954
Yeah and I wouldn't visit every day. Maybe a twice a week if I had any spare allowance.

Big arcades with the big deluxe machines were closer to the city. I only went to those when I had a birthday or some other special occasion with my friends. Their machines were always more expensive.
>>
>>10882469
>The one in Funword, NH continues to rot on the top floor all by its lonesome. It’s a travesty.
NTA but is there any hope of fixing it?
>>
>>10881939
>Oh god my tripophobia! Aaaaaaaahhhhh
>>
>>10883647

As far as I’m aware everyone who has approached the funworld owner on selling it have been shot down, so hard to be specific.

Mechanically for the seats etc should all be easy enough to rig something together if they’re broken. Unfortunately I think the game board itself is porked. It would require specifics from Nacmo to fix and they don’t seem to be of much help.
>>
>>10883647
Supposedly, they keep it with the intent of someday fixing it. The issue is that so few of them exist that nobody's entirely sure how to fix the board, since it communicates with the laserdisk in a weird way.

I do wonder if they've tried getting in contact with the guy who owns the working one.
>>
File: 1702584901641.jpg (275 KB, 1154x780)
275 KB
275 KB JPG
Anyone know where I can find one of these? It can be anywhere in the world. I will fly to play it.
>>
>>10885061
Nope. We've had this discussion many times. There are no known working ones anywhere in the world. It's not impossible there's one in, like, Africa somewhere or something (they actually have a LOT of random deluxe cabinets down there), but not likely.
>>
>>10885061
I'm not sure there's any left still in public arcades. But a few so still exist on the planet.

There's one in an arcade in Africa, but the owners put it in storage several years ago to make room for newer deluxe cabinets from Raw Thrills and deluxe VR machines. Still in storage, but maybe if you offered enough money they would sell it to you.

There's also another in the Thailand/Burma region in South East Asia. They often buy leftover deluxe machines from Japan when Japan sells them off. It was spotted in the 2010s. But no one in the gaming community has revisited the arcade to confirm if it's still there.

Japan had almost 10 or more. They kept at least 1 or 2 in storage. Another was dismantled when the game boards burned out. Namco refused to fix such an old game board, and the owner put the car in a children's sandbox play area in the arcade. Kids can climb inside the car and play. The rest were scrapped or their fates unknown.

America had at least 6 to 8 of them. I know for a fact at least 2 went to American private collectors.

UK had at least 3. One was in storage and scrapped. One was accidentally given to a hoarder who destroyed half of it and the car and gameboards were saved. One was last seen in Northern UK at some backwater casino arcade no one visits.

Spain had 1 or 2. One was scrapped.. Unknown what happened to the other.

France had 1

Israel had 1. No idea what happened to it.

Australia had 3 or 4. Two were sold to private collectors. Two were Scrapped.
>>
File: 1686294341401.jpg (247 KB, 846x764)
247 KB
247 KB JPG
Who played this? I have fond memories of this game playing it at my local arcade.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.