[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Let us discuss the pros and cons of each party. As a reminder, humans grow depending on investing in potions and other items, mutants grow completely randomly, and monsters do not grow at all but can be replaced by stronger (or weaker) monsters.

>1 human, 1 mutant, 2 monsters
Perhaps the most balanced. The one human is your dependable fix-as-you-need character, the mutant is your wildcard, and the monsters are stable. Having two monsters allows you to double potential monster movesets, as monsters have less abilities than humans and mutants.

>1 human, 2 mutants, 1 monster
This is probably my favorite. Like the above, but a second mutant can add even more random elements to the game and can be more fun. Ideally, you might get one mutant that's really good in magic and another that's really good in agility or strength, but due to the random elements either one could potentially surpass the other.

>2 humans, 1 mutant, 1 monster
Really slow in the beginning of the game, and can be more expensive, but this is probably 50/50 controlled/random elements.

>2 humans, 2 mutants
>1 human, 3 mutants
>1 mutant, 3 humans
It's fine, but why no monsters?

>2 humans, 2 monsters
>1 human, 3 monsters
>3 humans, 1 monster
No random elements, unless you are transforming the monsters blindly.

>2 mutants, 2 monsters
>1 mutant, 3 monsters
>3 mutants, 1 monster
Very unstable party, but could be fun.

>4 humans
No random elements at all, and the most expensive party

>4 mutants
No predictable elements at all, this is pure gambling

>4 monsters
Probably the hardest party and will be very weak in the beginning as you don't get stronger monsters until later. Might be good for a challenge run. By the end of the game you can safely transform to any monsters you want though.
>>
>>10861721
Anon, you forgot the canonically best party.
> 1 human, 2 mutants
In FFL you don't need to use 4 characters. With only one human, you don't have to spend much of anything to give him the best equipment and stats. And the two mutants can survive on item pickups alone, plus the odd 500 gp spell book here or there.This party is more than powerful enough to run the game easily and quickly.
>>
I've also done 1 human, 1 mutant. (ie, a 2 person party) It's a bit, but not much of a challenge. You can definitely feel it's more difficult than having 3 characters, but doesn't really constitute a challenge run.
>>
I remember very little about this game... though as I ponder it maybe I recall more than I at first thought and there just isn't that much to the game. FFL was the first Final Fantasy game I ever played. I got it to see what the hype was about with FF. I didn't realize that it would be very different from the mainline FFs though.
I recall my first time playing the game I got stuck for way too long on the world of ocean. In a weird way, the simplicity of the game made it harder for me. I was expecting to have to do more at parts of the game. So when an NPC told me about floating islands, I didn't realize that all you had to do was walk on them to get them to move. I walked around everywhere looking for some sort of item to make them move.
Then on the world of ruins, I remember there being some sort of super monster bird that showed up like every 3 or 4 spaces. I must not have noticed the entrance to the tunnels because I remember traveling across the surface of that entire world and having to run from the bird monster over and over and over again. Eventually though, I did reach the other side and continued on with the game. I remember beating it. I certainly didn't expect the final boss of the game to be god.
>>
>>10861721
I only learned recently that Final Fantasy Adventure was a Secret of Mana prequel and now you're telling me theres a game called Final Fantasy Legend and its a Romancing Saga prequel? I can't keep track.
>>
>>10861898
The word you're looking for is predecessor, but yes, FFL 1&2 are the first two SaGa games. (FFL 3 is FFL/SaGa in name only, it's made by a different dude and has nothing in common with them). It has a lot of the random elements that are famous in SaGa, but none of the non-linear elements introducing in romancing and beyond.

>>10861884
It's a very barebones RPG. The target audience was Japanese salarymen who wanted to play an RPG in short 5-10 minute bursts while on the bus or train. So the result is an RPG that has almost no story, is primarily about turn based combat and party development, and which has almost endless replayability since there are so many random elements that change every playthrough. Most people will write it off because it's not a story intense game, but it is one of the purest rpgs that exists, in that all of the emphasis is on the turn based combat.

And yes, that last world with the deathbird that kills you ever 2-3 steps is brutal.
>>
I pick my party based on which character sprites are cute
RPGs are made for 12 year olds they're not hard
>>
File: Final Fantasy Legend.png (70 KB, 480x864)
70 KB
70 KB PNG
when I played the game with 2 humans, 1 1 mutant 1 monster iirc only the 2 humans could do any sort of damage to the final boss. Mutant could do a bit and the monster was totally useless.
>>
uhhh, obviously it's
>human m (self-insert lead)
>mutant f (love interest)
>robot to carry the team
>a monster because I'm so random xD
it's brilliant because the robot and monster are inhuman therefore there's no risk of them stealing my mutant gf
>>
File: 1694420238536157.jpg (33 KB, 680x450)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>10862274
>inhuman therefore there's no risk of them stealing my mutant gf
>>
4 mutants is clearly the best. Without a human eating up your money, you have so much that you can afford to spam Flare spells that instant kill every random encounter.
They can use the saw too which instant-kills bosses.
>>
>>10861721
I always took it that humans put you on a GP grind to buff their stats and their stats increase linearly so you have a hard time very early on but you have a lot of control over their development and can expect power increases at specific points (Usually when shops sell better equipment after each world.). Since you can dump almost as much GP as you want into a human, having a single human in a party is great for a money sink to give you something useful to spend gold pieces on.

Mutants are too wild for my tastes, sure their stats increase through combat on their own so you don't have to spend anything on them, but their spells are random and constantly overwrite themselves. You can make your way to a boss with several powerful spells and random encounters replace them with something useless as you go. Four equipment slots limits you in what you can put on them to improve them, usually three spaces are used for armor and one for a weapon of some sort.

Monsters get started fast, kill the right enemy and get the right meat, you can skyrocket them to high level monsters far before you should have one. No need to buy or find equipment for them either. The only problem is they eventually level off and hit a cap that's much lower than what mutants get and far below human capability, so a monster heavy party has some grueling boss battles at the end.

My last run I did one human and three monsters, kept the monsters as skeletons and zombies and called my human a necromancer. It was a flavorful playthrough albeit not a particularly great one.
>>
>>10862274
>human m
>self-insert
based
>>
>>10862274
>human m self-insert
>human f tom-boy weapon-crazy OC
>mutant f psychic/magic love-interest OC
>monster funny cartoon animal sidekick

Now you are ready to chainsaw God.
>>
>>10862368
>mutant f falls for human f
>self-insert stuck banging the animal sidekick
>>
>>10862372
That's not so bad. I'm sure you can have it evolve into a succubus or something with the right kind of meat.
>>
its called final fantasy legend because its legendary how bad it is and they didnt want to taint the saga brand in the west
>>
>>10861926
You've said this perfectly. A good playthrough of FFL is probably 4 hours. It's the RPG I've replayed the most over the years, and the one I return to most often.
>>
>>10861721
I also usually prefer the 1 human, 2 mutants and 1 monster set up. It can be a pain depending how your mutants turn out but it is fun. I should replay this, it's been many years but I love the game. It was actually my first RPG of any sort.
>>
>>10861813
Why would you not have a monster tag along for fun though?
>>
>>10861721
>>4 mutants
>No predictable elements at all, this is pure gambling
That's how I play it. No need to use your brain. Just pure grinding.
>>
>>10862538
You're right. My next party will probably be 1 human, 1 mutant, 1 monster.
>>
>>10861721
One thing people are missing here is that the mutants are not necessarily random. It's basically useless to rely on their abilities, as you only rarely get ones that do damage, and when you do they don't stick around too much. However, they are great when using spellbooks, or other items that scale from the mana stat. In that sense, the mutant abilities are a bonus at best. Buy a few spell books, leave slots open for items, and you'll have the best characters in the game.
>>
Did any of the future SaGa games follow the style of FFL2? I tried playing one or two and was turned off by the short-story across multiple characters way of doing things. Legends 2 had a simple story mixed with a team you create yourself and the NDS remake did a good job of fleshing that out. I'd love to play another game like it.
>>
>>10862708
Same here. I've wanted to try the later SaGa games, but it seems like they're nothing like FFL or FFL2.
>>
>>10862715
If you haven't played the Japanese only remake for the ds, I recommend it. It has a translation patch and new graphics/mechanics, I think they even added some bosses on the side.
>>
I just picked humans and then cheated in money to buy them stuff hehe
>>
File: 1697710426976549.jpg (124 KB, 653x523)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>nooo I'm out of money
just use game genie

you don't waste your limited time on this planet grinding imaginary gold in single player jrpgs, right?
>>
Speaking of FFL2, playing with 4 robots is my favorite way to play, and changes up the game significantly. It goes something like this:
- For much of the game, your 4th robot is your strongest robots. Robots 1-3 exist to tank hits from bosses.
- 4th robot should be a full agility robot.
- Run from ALL random encounters, only fight required bosses.
- Never pay for equipment, only equip your robots with items from treasure chests.
- Once your 4th robot is sufficiently strong, start building out your other robots.
- The final boss can be pretty RNG, but is definitely beatable with this method. (you will have to restart a few times, though)
>>
I believe the mutants abilities and possibly stat development are determined by their names. Every time I name the female mutant Mike (I was dating a girl named Mikal at the time), she almost always gets the POWER spell (insanely broken end-game buff spell) right at the very beginning. Doesn't happen when I use a different name, and happens nearly 4 out of 5 times with that name. But I have never seen any guides mention this.
>>
File: 1712950547498130.png (104 KB, 340x447)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
>>10861721
I didn't run monsters just because the eat food prompt after each battle annoyed me
2 humans 2 mutants rocked
>>
>>10862692
They are random, but they do have some customization if you are using spell books, yes. However, you do run the risk of having a mutant that decides to go the magic route the first half of the game and then suddenly becomes a strong warrior the second half of the game. That has happened to me. I had two mutants, one was a warrior and one was a mage, and then by the end of the game, they magically switched roles.
>>
File: 1702507700082871.png (386 KB, 426x640)
386 KB
386 KB PNG
>when you shrink down and enter that girl's body
>>
File: 1698787137264622.jpg (62 KB, 1024x576)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>10862860
>>
>>10862859
This might be totally superstitious, but I've always observed that stat growth is related to character order, and I've been able to balance my mutants by changing their order throughout the game. Is it purely superstitious? Maybe!
>>
>>10862860
SaGa 2 single-handedly created a generation of vore obsessed degenerates.
>>
>>10862883
Tell us more. Which slots do you think determine which stats?
>>
>>10862913
I always have my mutants in slot #2 & slot #3. What I usually find is that the slot#2 mutant is always getting better HP growth than the slot #3 mutant. I can't recall, but usually one mutant is doing much better on mana growth than the other, and I'll swap them between slots 2/3 to balance them out.
Now, some guy over on Gamefaqs over a decade ago claimed that mutant stat growth is purely random, and not affected whatsoever by the actions you take in game. He looked at the game with a hex editor or some such. I think it's easy to imagine that the random growth modifier does take position into account, but it's just as easy to imagine that I'm being purely supersitious.
>>
What's all this "party" bullshit? Solo human, everything into one character. Wreck everything with impunity.
>>
>>10863036
anon the real legend were the friends you made along the way
>>
>>10862895
I highly doubt that. Then again I don't understand the appeal of vore at all and I never will.
>>
I tried 4 humans once, the grind for money was awful, never doing it again. When I finish Romancing SaGa 2 i'll play FFL1 again and do 1 human, 2 mutant, 1 monster.
>>
>>10863071
>I tried 4 humans once
imagine the smell
>>
>>10861721
Female mutant to start. Sell her weapon. Hire three humans. Best team.
>>
>>10862267
Give your mutant a saw for the final boss. They will do all the damage.
>>
>not doing a Mr. S only run
ngmi
>>
>>10862692
This is true. And once their defence stat grows high enough, they don't need to equip armor freeing up more inventory slots. People also sleep on ESP which makes a lot of attacks miss your party.
That skill comes up pretty often.
>>
>>10862818
I enjoy some self reflection and meditation while I grind.
>>
>>10862883
Mutants always seem to get more stat growth in the first position, but maybe I'm crazy.
>>
>>10862818
Unfortunately there's no way to cheat in Game Boy games, otherwise everybody would be running around with mews.
>>
You all probably know this, but humans are overpowered because you can keep giving them strength potions after they max out their stats and the game still increases the attack stat, it just doesn't show it.
>>
>>10862860
Always wanted to try the 3DS remake just to see that section.
>>
File: mutant.png (4 KB, 192x192)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>10861721
>mutants grow completely randomly
Ah, so that's where the guy from Elona had the idea. How come I've never heard of this game before?
>>
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/563273-the-final-fantasy-legend/42444042

Here we go, I found the link. Give this a read, it's the best information on the internet as far as I'm aware.
>>
File: 1683929389859644.png (616 KB, 603x709)
616 KB
616 KB PNG
>>10863365
sorry anon, entering her without consent was considered too problematic so it was removed ;^)
>>
>>10863349
Yes. Just stop at around 230 because stats roll back over at 255 including your armor bonus.
>>
>>10863394
fucking kek, they seriously censored a legitimate medical procedure?
>>
File: 1690481164907463.jpg (35 KB, 600x600)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>10863394
>>10863401
That's bananas
>>
>>10863401
>10863401
No, they just ran a program over the text. The edits are mostly not political, and just confusing. The splash screen there is largely just a red herring.
>>
File: 1688354488091943.jpg (125 KB, 640x480)
125 KB
125 KB JPG
>>10863408
I see wat you did there
>>
>tfw no decensored romhack that returns the opium references
>>
>>10862860
I... what? I don't remember this part at all. Elaborate please.
>>
>>10863472
They're talking about an off topic game that happens to be in the same series
>>
File: 1710456269467658.jpg (629 KB, 1193x1600)
629 KB
629 KB JPG
>>10863487
>game boy games aren't retro
>ffl2 isn't part of the ffl series
damn, better call the police and turn myself in
>>
>>10863524
This is an FFL1 thread. Not an FFL thread.
>>
>>10863524
Gameboy games are retro, but that specific one isn't.
>>
>>10863526
Relax motherfucker. Go be hall monitor someplace else.
>>
File: 1710980678608512.png (191 KB, 276x350)
191 KB
191 KB PNG
>>10863526
you need to go back
>>
>>10863526
>I-I was just pretending to be retarded, guys!
>i-it's not like I did a Google search and assumed that FFL2 was a 3DS exclusive or anything!
>>
>>10863536
The party system in FFL2 is not the same as FFL1, besides just the superficial difference that there is a new class. Humans and mutants don't work the same way, making the above discussion more complicated if we include FFL2.

>>10863534
Sounds like you're the one upset. I was explaining why the person didn't remember that scenario: because it wasn't in the game that this thread is about. You can still mention it if you want.
>>
>>10863550
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>10863546
You're the one that read "off topic" to mean not retro. I never implied that. I meant that you are talking about a different game than the one the thread is about. I own all three games on gameboy.

You also somehow misread my post and claimed I said FFL2 is in a different series when I said it's in the same series.
>>
File: 1698736230669665.jpg (142 KB, 1280x960)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>he's still posting
>>
>>10863567
Okay, well I will move on from this misunderstanding. I don't want this thread to be full of shitposts or trolls.
>>
File: 1709789509251904.png (175 KB, 724x842)
175 KB
175 KB PNG
>>10863524
I can work with this.
>>
>>10863550
>making the above discussion more complicated if we include FFL2
I'm sure we can put our minds together and figure it out.
>Sounds like you're the one upset
Yes, I'm upset that you are fucking up a good thread.
>>
File: 1706720347804224.png (172 KB, 533x150)
172 KB
172 KB PNG
>>10863568
nintendo power has a couple tips for you, anon
>>
>>10863579
It's my thread, I'm trying to keep it on topic. You can drop this at any moment, I'm not being disrespectful to you, but you insist on shitposting.
>>
File: 1683590819012210.png (145 KB, 798x644)
145 KB
145 KB PNG
>>10863589
>my thread
>>
>>10863574
Imagine going to the rectum and running back and forth in front of the exit ha ha!
>>
>>10863591
Yes, I am the OP. We can stop this derailment at any moment. It is up to you.
>>
>>10863589
>It's my thread
I think that's the most /r/eddit thing I've ever read posted on /vr/.
>>
>>10863526
>This is an FFL1 thread. Not an FFL thread.
That's not how SaGa threads work fucko.
>>
>>10863587
saving this
>>
>>10863714
See >>10863587
>>
>>10863738
Don't reply to my mutant self again.
>>
>>10862962
TBF, there is no true random for computing. It's always an algorithm that acts as randomness. It may be possible the algo uses the party position to help with creating the random value and may affect other stats differently. This could also just be lucky anecdotes that fit a possible pattern.
>>
>>10863751
>there is no true random for computing
anon there is hardware specifically designed to generate random numbers entropically
>inb4 m-muh deterministic universe
>>
>>10863426
>The splash screen there is largely just a red herring.
It's goofy because that's a translation of the Japanese message about changes to the Japanese version of the game, which has only a tenuous connection to how other language versions turned out.
>>
>>10863767
>anon there is hardware specifically designed to generate random numbers entropically
*sucks in though teeth*
ssssshhhhhh, aktually

All that hardware does is take ambient RF readings to more or less salt a seed thats still based on a real time clock.
Its still all (theoretically) deterministic anon. There is no true random.
>inb4 m-muh deterministic universe
All because you can't measure it...
>>
>>10863751
This makes me want to experiment with save scumming it to see how things operate behind the curtain. It usually ruins a game for me, Shiren the Wanderer was the biggest, but it's always interesting.
>>
>>10863524
I always thought it was funny that it wasnt viruses inside here you were fighting, but things like ninjas.
>>
>>10863524
>brain creatures
Many such cases!
>>
>>10863524
More games like this? Asking for a friend...
>>
>>10864274
Microsurgeon, except it might be a dude.
>>
>>10864274
earthbound
>>
>>10864274
The Secret of Varonis
>>
>>10864338
Debunked
>>
>>10861721
>>1 human, 3 monsters
That's pokemon
>>
I’d love to make a romhack of this game just to add a cool lil story.
>>
>>10864524
He could be referring to Dungeon Man.
>>
File: D1esIBaWoAAZAyW.jpg (67 KB, 500x665)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
https://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1713511391231284.webm
>>
>>10864067
You do fight microorganisms in her, but yeah there's a lot more in her than just that.
>>
File: Final Fantasy Legends.jpg (1.36 MB, 2862x2092)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>10863536
>>
>>10865350
that's not what it meant by baby-d, baby-d
>>
>>10865350
Tea is so cute
>>
>>10862708
The closest you'll find is SaGa Frontier and (likely) SaGa Emerald Beyond.
In Frontier every character campaign has you traveling across different worlds like the GB games. Some are open, others are more linear like the GB games. While each character has their own story there's still a ton of freedom in who you can recruit in your party (monsters, robots, etc.).
Emerald Beyond releases soon and takes after the GB games and Frontier, but the exploration is more abstracted and there are no dungeons.
>>
>>10862708
>I tried playing one or two and was turned off by the short-story across multiple characters way of doing things
The only one with short stories would be Frontier 1. All the other games are full featured. Romancing SaGa 1 and 3 all the characters inhabit the same world, but may have different starting points and a character specific quest or two but go to the same end point. Romancing SaGa 2 the start and ending character is fixed. SaGa Frontier 2 doesn't have a character select and you just enter different years in areas that events happened on. Unlimited Saga has a decent length for its campaign, but yeah there are different characters with varying stories and goals separate from one another existing in the same world.
>>
>>10864338
https://youtu.be/2Q9Rtd13N1E?si=tNoP3TTeZRulO5PJ
BRUHHHH THIS SHIT'S BUSSIN!!
>>
>>10868416
>his first thought was Dungeon Man
Didn't beat the game, huh?
>>
>>10862274
>>human m (self-insert lead)
Fry
>>mutant f (love interest)
Leela
>>robot to carry the team
Bender
>>a monster because I'm so random xD
Zoidberg
>>
>>10868935
I believe you mean
>Fry
>Leela
>Bendr
>Z-brg
>>
>>10868425
I didn't beat it because i lost that excitement i had when i played it the first time.
>>
>>10863524
Where's the ovaries.
>>
>>10871658
They went in with the other entrance.
>>
File: 1546screenshot1.png (181 KB, 1549x800)
181 KB
181 KB PNG
Anyone make anything interesting with this?
>>
>>10861721
>2 Humans, 2 Mutants
My Party of Choice. Love me some mutants and the random spells they get, and I'll never settle for less than 2 humans considering how little inventory space SaGa 1 has. I might be a fraud for not wanting to engage with SaGa's unique Monster Evolution Mechanics, but prospect of degenerating my monster into a weaker one out of inexperience or accident turned me off from even trying it.
I used a Robot in place of a monster in SaGa 2. I have yet to finish 3, and there isnt a very big penalty for degenerating, so I might get into learning the Evolution mechanic properly (But monsters seem so weak in SaGa 3 from what I've played so far).

That, SaGa 1 is awesome. Its quite amazing how they managed to create an enigmatic, mysterious world within the confines of a GameBoy game, and as simple as the story is, its still very effective. Cool final boss and ending that had a surprising amount of buildup and foreshadowing.
>>
>>10871658
calcified into magi
>>
the wonderswan remake is wonderful, I wish it got a GBA port and that we got it in the west.
>>
>>10863394
This is the only warning disclaimer that sucks
>>
>>10863526
What the fuck
>>
>>10874591
Don't respond to mentally ill people, anon.
>>
>>10868979
You mean "lela"

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.