[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Earthworm Jim.jpg (104 KB, 600x840)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
Bros, I've been playing Sega games. Are all Sega CD versions of the games superior, or are there any exceptions?
Earthworm Jim and Ecco are best played on Sega CD, right?
Anyway, recommend me some Sega CD games, guys
>>
File: sega-cd-model-1.jpg (237 KB, 1080x1080)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>>10862332
My Personal Top Ten:
>Sonic CD
>The Terminator
>Starblade
>Road Rash
>Keio Flying Squadron
>Lords of Thunder
>Android Assault: Revenge of Bari-Arm
>Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure
>Silpheed
>After Burner III
Also check out Popful Mail, the Lunar games, and Snatcher. Imo SEGA CD is as good as it gets, it's better than regular Genesis without being completely different like Saturn. And it has more games than you would expect. If you get really into it just download a full US CHD set
>>
>>10862361
>The Terminator
Literally no one ever talks about the actual game. People only talk about the OST
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGobJ153r78
>>
>>10862371
The OST is that good lol. But the game is fun too, if you like run 'n gun like Contra, Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug etc. Maybe not as fast and frantic as those games but still a fun time imo
>>
sega cd games are just genesis games with worse music
>>
>>10862332
I think Ecco is much better on Genesis. The music in the CD version doesn't fit the game anywhere near as well. Generally though yes.
>>
>>10862332
Snatcher is a really good adventure game, made by Kojimbo.
>>
>>10862382
>>10862590
Basically this. I can't pay echo on CD, the music is fucked
>>
>>10862618
I saw a woman yesterday wearing some chink clothes that said kojimbo on the back, pretty funny
I wanted to take a picture, but it'd be creepy
>>
>>10862371
Which is weird, because it is your typically Tallarico buttrock with a touch of generic techno.
The game is ok. It is better than the Genesis version, but is still a western developed action platformer. Little thought put into level design, enemy encounters, or overall challenge. Which, by Sega CD standards makes it a masterpiece. But that is only because there are so few "real" games on the Sega CD.
>>
>>10862332
Some are worse and some are better. Games that don't change the graphics much I'd rather play the cart, even the minor load times of Mortal Kombat I found annoying. Some examples are Cliffhanger has a nice minigame and Fatal Fury has mostly better graphics. Some games have generic boring music. Flink has similar music to the cart but remastered which I think sounds good. Eternal Champions has new graphics but I think the cart is better. There are a bunch of games that are just the cart but with actually worse music.

>>10862618
Turbo CD failed so bad they went to the trouble of converting Snatcher and Lords of Thunder.
>>
>>10863170
>Eternal Champions has new graphics but I think the cart is better.
It's actually supposed to be a sequel to the Genesis original, and would have gone on to a third (presumably on Saturn) had Sega not killed it in favor of Virtua Fighter.
>>
>>10862332
Technically two different versions of the game with different devs and not a port but the Sega CD version of Prince of Persia has terrible graphics compared to the regular Genesis version
>>
File: s-l1200 (3).jpg (260 KB, 800x1043)
260 KB
260 KB JPG
>>10862361
also Final Fight CD, Sol-Deace, and the Lunars.
Sega CD was really under-utilized. It was powerful as a 16-bit system but the support just wasn't there. And a lot of stuff got left in Japan.
Did anybody play pic related? Adventure game.
>>
>>10862382
>>10862629
It's sad you can't appreciate Spencer Nilsen-sama's work.
Anyway, Ecco CD has extra levels, and checkpoints. It's the definitive version.
For the music, you can inject the original Genesis music, swapping the .WAVs
>>
>>10864089
I quite like the atmospheric moody music of Ecco CD.
The only complaint I have is they clearly ran out of space on the disc because the Open Ocean song gets used over and over in the entire endgame
>>
>>10863268
>And a lot of stuff got left in Japan.
Are you sure you aren't thinking of Saturn? The SEGA CD versions of Snatcher, Lords of Thunder Mickey Mania, and Earthworm Jim never even made it to Japan at all (plus others like The Terminator, Road Rash, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, etc). In a lot of ways they are kind of like opposites. In fact the only real games we are missing are what, Night Striker, Sengoku Denshou, and Ninja Warriors? And maybe that Cyborg 009 game.
>>
>>10864376
Shadowrun
Annet Futatabi
Arcus 1 2 3
Game no Kanzume 1/2
Illusion City
Nostalgia 1907
Shin Megami Tensei
Yumimi Mix
>>
Earthworm Jim is best played on Windows 95 actually. It's a port of the CD version with superior graphics.
Try beating it on Easy mode, the unique ending is worth it.
>>
>>10864430
>Shadowrun
How has this not been translated yet?
>>
>>10862361
>Popful Mail isnt in top 10
man fuck you. your opinion is DIFFERENT from mine
>>
>>10864430
Annet is legitimately one of the worst beat em ups I've ever played.
>>
>>10863170
>Fatal Fury has mostly better graphics

fatal fury special sega cd actually looks worse than fatal fury 2 on genesis. lot of cut animations as well
it does however have playable ryo from the start
>>
>>10864376
>Night Striker

taito did an absolute dogshit job with this port. you cannot even tell what anything looks like, its so pixelated
>>
>>10862361
>it's better than regular Genesis
absolutely not.
i mean come on...starblade? the only namco sega cd game is some FMV shooter...they made over 20 "real" games on genesis
lords of thunder is also better on pce
>>
>>10864673
The only game on Sega CD that is arguably the best in its genre on the combined library is Lunar 2, and even then, one could easily argue for Phantasy Star 4 instead.
>>
>>10864097
That's my main complain.
In the mega drive version the music is better distributed and there are some climatic levels that have their own unique tracks.
>>
>>10864673
Now compare that to the number of Namco games on Saturn
>>
>>10864673
>>10864676
I really liked my Sega CD but have to agree.
>>
>>10862332
redbook audio is pretty good yeah
>>
>>10864580
El Viento, Earnest Evans and Anetto Futatabi are all mediocre. It's crazy these guys went on to make the Tales games
>>
File: 26.jpg (90 KB, 787x787)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
Thanks for the suggestions, bros, backed them up
With the recent nintendo shit and with itoddlers and twatter discovering emulators, you just know the lair is in danger
Back your shit up
>>
>>10864089
>just hack the game bro!
>dude, it's definitive because they made it easier!
>extra shovelware levels that add nothing to the game!

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.