[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Is it possible to beat this game using only rental pokemon, or should I just not even bother without having original hardware to transfer pokemon?
>>
Wow, I never noticed they gave Charizard scales in that render, but I just checked my original cart and there they are. Anyway, good luck with your shitty not-retro emulation.
>>
>>10863734
not OP, but why bother replying with this garbage instead of giving an answer to his question?

sorry OP, I havent beaten it so I cant answer your question completely, but from what I remember of it the rental pokemon are strong enough to get you through pretty easily.
>>
>>10863723
It's possible, but you have to use underevolved pokemon because most of the fully evolved ones have garbage movesets. Like you'll be using Kadabra over Alakazam despite the latter obviously having much better stats, but it's movepool is atrocious.

Also, lots of RNG to deal with since you will be fighting with 3 level 50's vs 2 50's and a lvl 55.
>>
>>10863723
It's possible, but not fun
>>
>>10863723
Maybe if you're skilled and lucky, but forget any chance of clearing Round 2 on only rentals.
>>
>>10863723
Just look up any speedrun of the game and copy their strats. It's not hard, but time consuming as all hell because it is basically reliant on luck in the end.
>>
>>10863723
I've done the whole game with only rentals, including round 2. It's doable. You have to be reasonably good at Pokemon though.
>>
>>10863780
>>10863784
>>10863785
>>10863787
Okay, I guess I'll just pass on it. Not really into the idea of lucking my way to the end of the game, it sounds tedious. Disappointing, but I'm glad I checked.
>>
Possible but probably very time consuming.
>>
>>10863787
>Just look up any speedrun of the game and copy their strats.
You didnt beat the game. Worse than savescumming.
>>
>>10863796
How do you get "good" at Pokemon considering the attacks are RNG?
>>
>>10863886
You have a choice over which Pokemon you pick and which moves you use at any given time, as well as when you switch and why. It doesn't matter a lot in the mainline games because the mainline games are easy, but the Stadium games with rentals will provide a real challenge. If you're importing Pokemon and not using rentals, you can just pick Mewtwo and psychic everything basically.
>>
One of the big issues with it is that you have to strategize around VERY specific Pokemon. Like there's a... Dragonair, I believe, in one of the cups that's overleveled, so it will outspeed and OHKO 95% of your available Pokemon and it's so bulky that it's almost impossible to OHKO. There are only like two Pokemon who can even attempt to contest that thing.

Most of the time, you just have to get lucky and hope they use the overleveled Gyarados (?) instead, since its 4x weakness makes it easy to kill if you can survive one hit. But I might be mixing up two different battles. I remember there's also an overleveled Lapras in there somewhere that's also a huge bitch.
>>
>>10863896
Alright, yeah. It's pretty obvious you haven't played the game in a LOOOONG time. Mewtwo's not legal in the bulk of the game.
>>
>>10863916
Not without rentals, no. I did it with rentals in the past year or two.
>>
>>10863910
Lance has a bullshit one in Gym Leader castle specifically designed to make you rage quit due to Gen 1 mechanics
>is a Dragonair so you can't one shot it
>knows Thunder Wave so it will 100% paralyze your team unless Ground type
>proceeds to do Wrap so you just do nothing while it kills you at like 5hp a turn
>Ice Beam for coverage against the Ground types
>>
>>10863758
LOL I hope he falls for it bro
>>
Is Pokemon Stadium secretly a bad game?
>>
>>10863979
It’s an expansion pack masquerading as a full game. The rental route is possible, but frustrating on purpose to encourage you to buy the GB games and the adapter.
>>
>>10863985
The adapter was included but yeah, it's especially obvious since most of the big rewards are just pokemon you can't even use until you transfer them back to your game. It flat out has a Super Gameboy emulator built in with unlockable fast forward features.
Of course it makes sense, there were far more copies of Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/Yellow sold than N64s.
>>
>>10863723
You can, but like the other anons said, it's not very fun. And the only reason you'd want to do it at all is to unlock stuff for your Game Boy game. There's genuinely no point, and it blows my mind that Nintendo released this without any kind of Game Boy tie in.
One of the official guides goes over some rental strategies, if you're interested anyway.
https://archive.org/details/PokemonStadiumOfficialPlayersGuide/page/n21/mode/2up
>>
Still noway to take my rom-mons and play them in stadium?
>>
>>10864176
Just about every N64 emulator supports the transfer pak specifically for this.
It's just that the NSO version doesn't have anything to link to.
>>
>>10864182
Can u link a lad with a tutorial or something?
>>
>>10863723
can be beaten with rental pokemon,is not that hard to win since is more about chosing the right pokemon.
the logic choice is the 3 basics from the game in evolved form,psychic,ghost and fighting pokemon with that you can beat the game.
>>
>>10864176
It's trivial to do and has been possible for a decade.
>>
Reminder you can use ares to not only use the Transfer Pak to transfer Pokemon, but also use the Game Boy Tower and play the Game Boy games through it.
>>
File: file.png (1.36 MB, 1242x1755)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
>>10864212
If you're using a different emulator or anything, it's all easy enough to search for.
>>
The games are a waste of time using rentals. The NSO releases are only really good for having access to the minigames on demand
>>
>>10863723
It's a fucking sin that Nintendo and GameFreak can't get their shit together for this. Their service feels like it has so much potential to be better.
>>
>>10864752
It's less that they can't and more that they know they don't have to, so they don't. They know their current userbase is largely made up of normalfags and s0ifacing tendies who will happily fork over money for whatever lazy slop comes their way, especially if it panders to their nostalgia. Why do more than the absolute minimum if they'll pay regardless?
>>
>>10864752
>>10864797
GameFreak has an autistic obsession with every Pokemon game that has catchable pokemon being linked to their online service. They can't abide a version of Pokemon Red/Blue existing in a walled environment like the Switch Online emulator because it means those pokemon you catch don't "really exist" in the context of the modern Pokemon ecosystem since you can't carry them forward. That's why the Game Boy service will never have mainline Pokemon games and why Stadium will never let you use the GB Tower.
>>
>>10865292
And eventually they're going to wall off all pre-Switch-era Pokemon forever
>>
>>10863785
I have a old magazine that has strats for everything, all rental. It's definitively possible, but not fun in the slightest and the winning picks are probably extremely limited (and has to be a tad luck)
Stadium is really not meant to be played stand alone, you have to at least bring 1-2 specifically trained 'mons in your team
>>
>>10863723
wow anon you should make a youtube video like 'can you beat pokemon with just magicarp' and other hits!
>>
>>10865307
I tried using a guide for Stadium 2 once. It worked until the last match with Morty when he got a critical hit on the best Pokemon against him and knocked it out, then swiftly wiped out the rest. Never bothered again after that (mainly because I had rented Stadium 2 and had to take it back).
>>
>>10864552
How about romhacks? Can't imagine that's possible unless it's a hack that doesn't fuck with individual stats.
>>
Honestly, you're missing out if your aren't playing Stadium with your own Pokemon from a game you played through. That's the whole point. It's completely complementary to the games. Even all the QoL shit like the Pokedex and PC management for Pokemon and items adds so much, as well as the ease of battling and trading. Actual hardware is the best experience obviously, but emulating is decent.

>>10866473
If it's a rom hack that doesn't fuck with the structure of the Pokemon data then it should be fine. Stadium will flag moves that Pokemon aren't able to learn normally, but I think they're still usable. I'm not sure if it checks for stats.
>>
>>10865292
Couldn't you transfer Pokemon caught on RBY and GSC on the 3DS VC?
>>
>>10867051
Only to Sun/Moon and their Ultra versions, but they essentially become all-new Pokemon due to having to be updated to the IV/EV system that's been in place since Gen3. Plus they all get their Hidden Abilities, which for some is a benefit but for others is a harsh nerf to account for all the weird moves they can potentially have from the earliest games. The Machop line in particular is denied its normal No Guard ability (which makes all its attacks always hit at the cost of always getting hit itself) to prevent it from being able to destroy everything with Fissure.

In any case, it won't matter anymore once Bank is permanently shut down.
>>
>>10867051
Yes, but they won't do it for the NSO emulator for some reason. It might have something to do with how the 3DS releases were standalone, modified games while all the NSO games are just roms dropped in an emulator. So maybe in the NSO framework they just can't integrate that external connectivity. Or it could just be Gamefreak being lazy fucks.
>>
>>10867069
Probably lazy fucks, don't have the staff to do this shit constantly and more importantly, they don't want to give mainline games for free
>>
I've done it and like others have mentioned, it isn't worth it. You'll blurt out many curse words during Round 2.
>>
>>10867101
They don't even want to do something about how weird it is for NPCs to be shown singing but not actually have any kind of voice-acting behind it. GameFreak is half too outdated and half too lazy to get with the times.
>>
>>10867101
>>10867112
Small indie developer, please understand. :(
>>
>>10867121
If anything, they wish they still were.
>>
>>10863993
i'm kinda curious do any N64 or gamecube emulators support the connectivity to GB & GBA respectively or is my best bet still digging everything out of storage?

i thought about going through either red & gold or ruby & fire red and i'd love to include the stadium games or coliseum & XD into that respectively.
>>
>>10864182
It can't even link to the NSO version of Red and Blue?
>>
>>10866724
If a trainer is using an illegal move, their name is highlighted in red so that the other player knows. It doesn't actually stop you, but it lets the other player know if somebody's trying to pull a fast one on them, and I think that's a fair way to do it.
>>
>>10867340
Fuck me, it turns out there isn't an NSO Red and Blue in the first place.
>>
>>10867350
Yeah they really dropped the ball.
If they'd released this on Wii U's Virtual Console, they could have done a tie-in with the 3DS VC releases, but just chose not to I guess.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.