[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: polymega.jpg (43 KB, 940x626)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
Thoughts on this (almost) all-in-one console?
>>
>>10864134
>Emulation box that can only use real cartridges
Literally who is this for? People with extensive real collections are going to have the actual consoles
>>
none
>>
It's a fancy overpriced Retron.

Original plans was to make it FPGA based, which would have actually made it a decent idea. But that was dropped and it's just a really really laughably low-end PC with an Intel Celeron processor and a laughably tiny amount of RAM running Linux.

Yet despite all this the price is a total fucking joke. It costs $550, more than just about any Analogue console or a good MiSTer setup, you can even get a more powerful PC for less than that, and each module is $80! $80 for what is literally a cartridge port (which only dumps the cart into a ROM, and you can get these ports for $1-3 on Aliexpress) and USB controller adapter in a fancy casing! You can get the "console" with a set of the NES, SNES, Genesis, and TG16 modules together for an incredibly stupid price of $800!

It doesn't run the games off the cart like a real console would, or even an analogue system, it just dumps a ROM and then emulates it 100% in software on a CPU that can't even handle the more accurate emulators. And because of this, there are games (especially many newer homebrew ones) that don't run on it even though they will work on the real hardware, most flashcarts, and even newer PC emulators too.

You can get an even better experience for less by buying some used Xeon workstation, and if you really want to dump your own ROMs building or buying a Sanni Card Reader for around $150-200, less if you solder it yourself. It would just not look as fancy. If you care about having a box plugged into your TV that looks fancy, there are plenty of nice looking cases for Pis, MiSTers, and even Mini-ITX boards, which would still cost less than even the base model, much less the "bundle".

I literally can't think of a single reason to buy this thing, or why anyone would like it. Even when I randomly run into a YouTuber talking about this thing, they don't like it.
>>
>>10864190
Retron owners too stupid to live.
>>
>>10864134
MiSTer (and FPGA in general) is the answer to the problem it's trying to solve. In it's current implementation it is kind of a scam, you're paying top dollar for what is essentially just an emulator box with a disc drive. Forcing you to pay extra for each console "module" is just icing on the cake
>>
>>10864323

Wait, it DOESN'T use FPGA?
I thought that was the whole damn point and why the price was set so high.
>>
File: 1689441137693733.jpg (65 KB, 647x457)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>10864134
The FAQ section of their website makes me laugh. It literally encourages you to go on eBay and pay scalper prices
>Some games like Fifa 96 are under $10 though!
>>
>>10864345
it's such a shame. i love the idea, but not using FPGA (and not actually using the cartridge) completely ruin it for me
>>
>>10864345
The original point when it was being conceived was that it was going to use a FPGA, yes. But that got dropped and it's just a software emulator box now. I don't recall if this was before or after it started crowdfunding campaigns.
>>
>>10864356
>and not actually using the cartridge

Yeah, though even the MiSTer and most other FPGA systems don't use the actual cartridge too. IIRC the Analogue systems are the only ones that do.
>>
>>10864345
Yeah, they originally advertised it as an FPGA machine, but then I think they realised it would cost too much/be too hard so they walked it back and made it software emulation instead.

as >>10864323 said, if it WAS an FPGA device, it would be a cool all-in-one/alternative to MISTer that is a bit easier to use, but as it stands it really seems like a white elephant.
I remember one person I knew bought one, and i was shocked anyone would bother. It's the worst of all options combined.
>>
File: 240.jpg (8 KB, 240x180)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>10864134
Isn't this just an inferior ripoff of the LaserActive
>>
I guess I always over-estimate the average retro gamer/collector.
I can understand the appeal of collecting retro games as a hobby, sometimes the hunt for a rare game might be fun to some people etc. But then there are people who just want to play games, but for some reason are unable to understand emulation or have some weird moral hang-up about pirating a game that hasn't been on sale for 20 years and instead pay a king's ransom for the original hard copy.
I guess it's probably more common with younger people who grew up without PCs/don't own a PC?
>>
I said it in a prior thread - the kid in me loves the idea of a console that can play it all. But nearly $1,000 for emulation and you need cartridges? Lol what a hilarious pile of shit
>>
>>10864341
Does the Mister even have cart readers? Seems like the completely wrong tool for the task at hand.
>>
>>10864134
Does this have effort put into it like Analogue? I mean, I guess I appreciate the existence of machines like this, but if I'm going out there and buying physical Genesis games I wanna play them on an actual Genesis. I'm either going for real hardware or emulation, not this inauthentic in-between.
>>
I have one. It's definitely overpriced. I feel like they price it to compete with Analogue but there's a clear hardware difference between them. The controllers feel cheap. The N64 one is alright, but the base controller and genesis controller both suck. The OS is nice but the company has clear issues with QA. They've been shipping out consoles that are bricked out of the box.

Installing games was oddly fun for me and I haven't had any issues with the emulation. As a "Just Works" solution it works pretty great. I especially love how it handles controllers. I like being able to use OG controllers and haven't run into many compatibility issues. It was great using the N64 module to plug in four controllers and play some Mario Party and then switch to some Saturn Bomberman. I feel like controllers are the number one issue with me when it comes to emulation. Everything feels designed for a Xbox/Dual Shock controller and trying to use anything else is almost always an issue. Nevermind the nightmare of trying to connect a bunch of Bluetooth/Wireless controllers.

If it was like $200 for the whole thing it'd be a stronger recommend.
>>
My wifes son loves it!
>>
>>10865301
It saved my marriage because of how little space it takes!
>>
>>10864553
It doesnt, but I think a lot of people would like that. Reminder lots of mister users uses SNAC to use original controllers. But all that shit is a clutter nightmare. I'd be so down for the idea of a polymega if it wasnt software emu
>>
>>10864574
Well, you wouldn't be playing them on an actual genesis with the mega sg and this thing is literal emulation, not some "in-between" whatever that means.
>>
The UI is really cool. I bought one when I was unexpectedly handed $30,000 and I felt like buying something gaming-related that was cool but overpriced that I normally wouldn't buy. A month ago, I would have told you that it's not worth the price, but it's damned cool thing to have if money isn't an object for you. I love how you just pop a disc in, install it, and it connects to a database that gives you screenshots, a description, a splash page, etc for that game when you highlight it's thumbnail. It's very slick and professional-looking, and would be a fuckton of work to recreate with a standard emulator box. I love not having to dick around with tweaking emulator settings and troubleshooting the problems that will inevitably pop up when trying to emulate hundreds of games on a standard emulator box. I've put hundreds of games on mine by downloading and burning the discs for them. I recently played through the english fan translation of the japanese version of Ace Combat 3 this way, and it was a blast. But about 10 days ago my Polymega shit the bed. Out of nowhere it just stopped playing the audio properly for every system except PSX and Saturn. It's mostly silent with the occasional crackling sound. I have yet to hear back from customer service about it. I will give them 3 weeks, and if they don't reply with a satisfactory solution to my problem, I'll be contacting them again, this time asking about a refund. Because of this experience, I can't even recommend this to rich people.
>>
File: 1713221009895876.webm (217 KB, 640x800)
217 KB
217 KB WEBM
>>10864354
>Polymega is working with publishers both large and small to create a digital marketplace
Lmao, so they're going to have the kind of shovelware AtGames uses to pad out their classic consoles, only now you have the privilege to pay extra money for them?
>>
>>10864134
one of the most abominable price-to-performance ratios i have ever seen, worse than atari vcs even
>>
Whats wrong with a Retron?
My old Genesis doesn't work anymore, and I'd rather play something than nothing.
>>
>>10867295
Why not just use a cheap android box at that point? Why wear out your cartridges by dumping them constantly? It's an idiotic device.
>>
>>10867295
It's just a weak Pi-like device with a bunch of shitty stolen emulators. Just use your PC.
>>
>>10867295
Some of the retrons (e.g. the mega retronhd) are hardware clone solutions (not emulation) but they have their own share of issues. The nes one has bad colors of wrong audio. The SNES and genesis ones are not so bad though, they mostly work just fine. As it's using actual hardware it's still more authentic than some fpga emulator, despite being not as accurate.
>>
>>10864190
Coomlectors, thats who.

>>10864134
Will those controllers work on real consoles tough?
>>
>>10864134
it's retarded
>>
>>10864134
>>10864323

Just get a late Nintendo Wii and mod it, you will have NES, GENESIS, PCE, GB/C/A with really good emulation and even PS1 with the recent updated WiiSX and Wiistation, and you also have GCN and Wii games out of the get go, SNES and N64 emulation is kinda poopy tough outside of VC titles,
>>
>>10867429
I softmodded my wii, and I couldn't be any happier :)

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.