[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: 82626272829292.jpg (678 KB, 3000x1500)
678 KB
678 KB JPG
>>
>>10865653
Other way around, buddy. FF7 is still a very fun ride to this day, Fallout is just an outdated mess.
>>
Both are bad and were never good.
>>
>>10865660

Nah, both are good for different reasons. Have always been.
>>
JRPGs never evolved beyond the Wizardry formula except you cant even customize your own character or party in most of them, they only improved visually
They barely have dialogue options or multiple paths through quests even today
>>
File: wq.png (645 KB, 1169x1621)
645 KB
645 KB PNG
>>10865653
They have a whole tradition of board games to get inspiration from. Whereas jrpgs copied anime.
>>
>>10865653
couldn't get into fallout back in the day,can't get on it after waiting 15 minutes to travel from one point to another.
most wrpg are inferior in reality.
>>10865727
and that's what makes them bad
>look we used D&D rules for our game
i played D&D so this game will be great
>never explained is D&D updated version.
also jrpg are their own thing and more rpg then other stuff.
>>
>>10865653
>comparing two games going for wildly different experiences
Extremely low quality thread
>>
>>10865727
>Whereas jrpgs copied anime

Low quality thread and nonsensical point. Are you the OP? JRPGs took inspiration from Ultima. What game mechanics would they have picked up from 80s/90s anime
>>
File: 2893739-magic_candle_back.jpg (1.84 MB, 2236x2819)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>10865865
>Low quality thread and nonsensical point. Are you the OP?
No
>JRPGs took inspiration from Ultima
Yeah, maybe Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, and a couple more of jrpgs back in the eighties. How many of them have keyword based dialogues? Day/Night and npc schedules? Besides, it doesnt matter because ultima is a videogame, not a board game.
>What game mechanics would they have picked up from 80s/90s anime
Focus on character driven plot over freedom. I mean, compare OP's picture.
>>
I like to have every companion in fallout 1 with me at all times. It's like the wizard of Oz or the Lord of the rings, just a merry band of niggas out in the wasteland. So it's kind of like a jrpg party. I mean I know parties aren't a jrpg specific thing, dragon warrior 1 didn't even have a party. But anyways, enough rambling. Comfy game
>>
WRPGs were born from D&D and evolved on the PC where you had an older player-base willing to learn a manual's worth of rules and gameplay scenarios. I'm sure the keyboard and mouse had a significant role to play as well, given how expansive it is as an input method.

Meanwhile, JRPGs grew out of the Japanese market trying to emulate what was popular on the PC in west at the time and translate that into something which was playable with a two button controller and would appeal to children.

JRPGs mostly followed that traditional blend of Wizardry and early Ultima which made Dragon Quest so popular, but added more and more visual novel elements into the mix and placed a huge amount on spectacle and story. Contrast that with WRPGs which kept player choice and actual role playing at the heart of the experience.

Apples and oranges, there are aspects of both FF7 and Fallout 1 which make the other seem primitive and old fashioned. Though from a purely gameplay perspective, Fallout is a lot more advanced than FF7.
>>
>>10865653
Because most JRPGs play the same boring way. It's not that their design can't be done well, but it's telling that the hardest JRPG series bandied about, SMT is only more difficult in having a higher encounter rate and requiring you to exploit magical weaknesses. Which is expected by default in WRPGs.
On lesser notes, the Japs were best when the western games they were copying were the best. They made some pretty good dungeons back in the day, but sadly that's gone now. They never really figured out overworlds or quest design, and now that that's the focus, they've fallen far behind.
>>
>>10865653
I like both. I prefer WRPGs.
Everybody must remember that JRPGs are not RPGs despite the name. They are linear adventure games.
There is no role playing involved. You control pre-determined characters in a pre-determined story that plays out nearly exactly the same every single playthrough.
Yes, there are exceptions to the rule, but especially in retro, 99% of JRPGs are merely glorified adventure games.

RIP Fallout, it had a good run but the TV show has officially buried it.
>>
File: 1709999588024090m.jpg (105 KB, 1024x768)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
Yeah, they were so far ahead that you can make your playthrough hell because it turns out your stat spread was shit. What fun.
>>
>>10866019
>99% of JRPGs are merely glorified adventure games.
JRPGs are like VN with stats and combats.
>>
>>10865663
Indeed. At least JRPGs are nice to look at and have good music. WRPGs are just pointless.
>>
The late 90s is when WRPGs turn to gay as shit point n click adventures with less gameplay
>But what about JRPGs
WRPG fans are always the pot calling the kettle black
>>
File: assault.jpg (629 KB, 1396x1408)
629 KB
629 KB JPG
loved it
>>
>>10865653
>>10865660
>>10865663
>>10865685
>Fallout is better than FF7
>FF7 is better than Fallout
>Both games are bad
>Both games are good

I don't know what to think anymore, bros...
>>
>>10866487

They're apples and oranges, a direct comparison is ridiculous.
>>
>>10865660
Fallout 1 is a lot more accessible and less complex than more modern WRPG's that are popular like Wasteland 3 or Divinity OS2.
>>
>>10866068
This is also a fair statement.
>>10866523
But muh old.
>>
>>10866019
Contrary to popular idiocy, a RPG isn't about playing a role except in the context of a wargame-style stats-oriented combat system. Like the one in FF7. FF7 is a very simplified RPG except for a few things about the combat and ability system, but it's still an RPG. FF7 also gives you substantial freedom to explore the world despite the linearity of the story.
>>
File: Tifa_pony_tail_02.jpg (1.98 MB, 2828x4000)
1.98 MB
1.98 MB JPG
>>10866019
Any video game story is going to be pre-determined to one degree or another. No matter how many options you have, at the end of the day all of the choices you can make were planned in advance by the developers.
Ultimately, roleplaying is something that happens in the player's imagination. A game can facilitate or hinder roleplaying, but never cause or stop it.
If you form a relationship with the characters and build upon the story the game provides you, you are roleplaying. If you play through the whole game with your nose in a guide and never make any decisions for yourself, you aren't. It's the player's responsibility; the game can only help.
FF7 is far from perfect and if you feel that the game has far too few options I completely understand that. But to the people who love it, it isn't a "linear adventure game".
I personally prefer games like FF7 to games like FF1. I like to take well-defined characters and build upon them further with my imagination until they're vivid and lifelike. Creating an entire character wholly from scratch to me seems like a lot of unnecessary work. There's no need to create a brand new, unique character when the Tifa Lockhart who exists in my imagination is already so greatly different from yours or anyone else's.
At the same time, I understand the reverse preference and the appeal of having a character who's 100% yours. Really it comes down to taste.
But if you can't understand my preference at all, can't roleplay the way I roleplay, enjoy the games I enjoy, you're really missing out. Half or more of the greatest RPGs of all time are just closed off to you. Perhaps it would be best to open your mind it a bit more? Food for thought.
>>
File: Angry Video Game Egg.jpg (983 KB, 1170x1358)
983 KB
983 KB JPG
>>10866592
>Contrary to popular idiocy, a RPG isn't about playing a role
Picrel
>>10866686
I said I liked both styles of games yet you think I’m insulting final fantasy for being linear. It isn’t a personal attack on something you like to say what it is.
>>
>>10865950
Isn't the real core difference between WRPG and JRPG is that the west is based off D&D and the Jap is based off Final Fantasy? Obviously exceptions exist for both but that seems to be the only thru-line.
>>
>>10865660
>outdated
fuck off back to /v/, retard.
>>
>>10865653
>fallout 1 horrible miss miss miss combat
>good
>>10865660
Fpbp
>>
>>10866835
Final Fantasy is based on Dragon Quest which is based on Ultima which is based on D&D. They both had the same origin point of D&D and Wizardy and Ultima.
>>
WRPGs were originally made for PC players while JRPGs were made for console players. Different markets with different expectations.
>>
>>10866835
Both have the same roots, PnP wargames, then mainframe RPGs, but they diverge around Ultima. Japan had The Black Crystal and then Dragon Quest.
>>10866973
What's even the point of playing a RPG if all your attacks hit anyway?
>>
The main problem with JRPGs is they're less complex and less reactive to the player. They also have highly emotional stories, and whether it's music, movies, whatever it is, highly emotional stories (FF8 is a good example) appeal to normalfags. It's not that JRPGs are bad, it's that SOME of them are gateways for faggots, troons, plebbitors, and they stink up the place.
>>
>>10866487
Don't worry I'll tell you what to think, bud. First you need to play each game, the. You decide for yourself if you liked them and if so, which one did you like more. Then take into account the difference in design. Does ffviis materia system beat fallouts vats? Which game has better equipment? Is the story good? Etc... in my honest opinion, I think that ffvii is better and just as, if not more complex due to the materia system. Fallout does not have as many enemy type match ups or variety in attacks or attack animations for that matter. Fallout has a better economy, both have great and fun worlds to explore. Ffvii wins in music...
>>
>>10865887
>How many of them have keyword based dialogues? Day/Night and npc schedules?

This is how Zelda is far more directly Ultima inspired and gives much more freedom of interaction, making it more of a real RPG.
>>
i always felt like Fallout took some inspiration from FF7
>>
>>10869854
They are completely unrelated zeldatard.
>>
>>10865653
If they're so far ahead why is practically every WRPG thread whining about JRPGs instead of actually discussing your superior game?
>>
Tale as old as time, warpiggers seething over jarpiggers.
>>
>>10869881
Yeah but only Midgar, they never made it out (skill issue)
>>
jrpgs are actually fun though

d&d likes are just convoluted bug-ridden messes with randomly generated characters you don't care about and constantly telling you to open the manual to page 437 and read the dialogue
>>
File: 1692203325601587.jpg (281 KB, 1000x1000)
281 KB
281 KB JPG
>>10870354
>constantly telling you to open the manual to page 437 and read the dialogue
Ah, a Forgotten Realms enthusiast.
>>
>>10870354
They are easiert to get into due to jrpg's aesthetic and streamlined gameplay. It is literal slop.
>>
>>10865887
The only inspiration JRPG's took from anime is in their aesthetic, but even in that regard they were also heavily influenced by Record of Lodoss War, which in turn itself, was hugely influenced by Dungeons and Dragons.

But, in general, trying to argue that JRPG's aren't heavily influenced gameplay wise on WRPG's is just blatant ahistorical revisionism.

>>10865950
I agree that comparing Fallout 1 directly to Final Fantasy is a lopsided comparison based on the fact that they are very different, but it's not outside the realm of possibility. They are both RPG's. It's not like we're comparing an RPG to a DDR game.
>>
>>10870354
The most nonsensically retarded description of WRPG's I've ever seen.

>convoluted bug ridden messes
Which ones? Care to point them out? You can't, because you're a retarded faggot.

>randomly generated characters you don't care about
It's extremely more likely that I will care about a character that I can choose to build and advance the way I see fit, than some poorly written hack that I'm supposed to care about for some generic and cliched reason.

>constantly telling you to open the manual to page 437 and read the dialogue
I don't think....you've EVER, played a WRPG, in your entire life.
>>
File: 1712184064121678.gif (23 KB, 112x112)
23 KB
23 KB GIF
crpgs > jrpgs = arpgs > wrpgs
>>
>>10870532
O_OU
>>
>>10870528
>Which ones? Care to point them out?
All of them.
>It's extremely more likely that I will care about a character that I can choose to build and advance the way I see fit, than some poorly written hack that I'm supposed to care about for some generic and cliched reason.
And yet Cloud is immediately recognizable while nobody cares about xXxSePhIrOtHxXx420
>I don't think....you've EVER, played a WRPG, in your entire life.
I suggest you play some of those "classics" which built the genre. Up until like CDs it was common for story heavy games to put all the text in a physical booklet which accompanied the game, then just reference it by entry.
>>
>>10870229
Other way around.
>>
>>10865653
cuz tim and the boys were actual DnD nerds
DnD nerds make games with better roleplaying capabilities
go figure
>>
>>10870583
>>>/v/
>>
jrpg
>cool
>explosions
>magic
>killing gods
>hueg swoords
wrpg
>*miss*
>*miss*
>rat hits you for 2 hp
>*miss*
>hit rat for 1 hp
>*miss*
>>
>>10870582
>All of them.
Not every game was made by Bethesda.
>And yet Cloud is immediately recognizable while nobody cares about xXxSePhIrOtHxXx420
Depends on the game. Obviously no one recognizes a random custom character, but games like WoW have very recognizeable models.
>I suggest you play some of those "classics" which built the genre. Up until like CDs it was common for story heavy games to put all the text in a physical booklet which accompanied the game, then just reference it by entry.
There are only two games people actually recommend that do this, and being extremely generous, a dozen more that aren't. Hardly as common as you credit it. This is about as accurate as saying JRPGs are nothing but coombait to beat your meat to.
>>
>>10868383
An attack that misses should be a powerful move, not the fucking basic attack
>>
>>10865653
Am I the only that feels like, FF7 is overrated?
>>
>>10871083
No but you're in very poor undesirable company.
>>
>>10871056
What's the point of even having hit and dodge stats if it never comes up? Having the attack that misses be a powerful move is a nice thought, but games are rarely balanced around that distinction, and never games where you can count on your basic attack always hitting.
>>
>>10871083
I don't like playing it but I recognize that it looks very cool and is a long and substantial experience
>>
>>10871083
Overrated is always the wrong term to use. There is no objective rating.
>>
>>10866019
RPG is a term that has two definitions. The first is the literal one, a role-playing game, in which case you're right that most JRPGs do not allow for this kind of in-world character definition. But the second definition is "game that uses gameplay mechanics commonly found in traditional RPG games", where the RPG is defined using the first definition.
For example, any game where success/failure of actions is determined by character statistics rather than player inputs alone is at least partially an RPG in terms of mechanics, as per the second definition.
These two terms have existed alongside one another for decades at this point. Every language has words that have multiple definitions whose momentary intentions are implied or made clear by context. JRPGs are linear adventures by story type, but RPGs by gameplay mechanics.
>>
>>10865660
fo1 doesnt feel outdated at all its very easily accessible
>>
>>10865653
so far ahead in BEING ASS
>>
>>10866361
An alternate future where Nintendo stuck it to N64 fatasses and finished up Armada as it was intended to be: Miyamoto's Halo.

Also Star Fox arcade not getting cancelled+getting a gcn port.
>>
>>10870583
>All PS3 slop
>>
File: logo.jpg (575 KB, 1360x765)
575 KB
575 KB JPG
>>10865653
idk OP this JRPG is pretty up there with the best

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.