[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: darksun.jpg (264 KB, 1280x720)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
A game for MEN
>>
was cancelled due to problematic themes
>>
Shame they never did much with the engine, would love something like a construction set for it.
>>
File: kek.jpg (5 KB, 180x180)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>10866451
>>
>>10866451
I got my Big box set of the 2.
>>
Anyone ever play Dark Sun Online? The ad for it that came with my AD&D collection looked intriguing.
>>
>>10866467
>problematic themes
what was it?
>>
>>10867246
rape
>>
>>10867263
I played Dark Sun 1 & 2 (only finished DS 1) but I didn't remember any rapes in the games. On the other hand, it was 30 years ago so I didn't remember much. Or was it in the pnp?
>>
>>10867270
No, it isn't there either. He's just making things up, as one is wont to do.
>>
>>10867263
I will doubt it.
Only reason games got cancelled back then was when they just made games for faggots with homosexuality,no other reason to cancel it over rape.
>you got the perk child murderer.
>you got the perk child rapist.
>you got the perk serial rapist.
>>
>>10867263
Oh, you mean the 'thing' most women actually fantasise about and fetishize unironically?.
>>
really like the graphical style, overhead jrpg but less chibi. can't think of many crpgs that did something like that.
>>
>>10866467
Faggots like you kept jerking it to the promo art.
>>
>>10867246
Slavery
>>
>>10866451
Western developers trying to make a hetereosexual game for hetereosexual men be like, yeah, even the chicks have bigger dicks than we do.
>>
>>10866451
I remember this ad, I can't remember what game it came with though, maybe something like Wings Over the Pacific or some Dynamix game.
>>
>>10866451
Anyone play the sequel?
>>
>>10866451
is this achievable natty?
>>
was Strategic Simulations considered a good dev?
>>
>>10868946
It's true, I did. Mul daddies for days.
>>
>>10867020
I wanted to play it at the time, but my poor-ass family wasn't paying a monthly fee for any vidya. It's why I never got into Everquest, either.
>>10869030
I beat this years ago. It's fun but very, very buggy. You should keep multiple backup saves in case quest items disappear or NPCs don't let you continue the game. Also it has monsters like mind flayers that should not exist on Athas.
>>
I got it for my friend on his birthday. He seemed to really enjoy but managed to soft lock his game by killing a bunch of cultists and then later needing their red robes for a quest (its been years, I don't remember it exactly)

Setting sounds awesome, one of those fantasy series I keep meaning to check out.
>>
>>10869478
>but my poor-ass family wasn't paying a monthly fee for any vidya
It just seemed absurd to most people at the time, to.
>>
>>10870612
? monthly fees weren't new
>>
>>10869478
>buggy
Buggy as hell. I played the floppy disk version when it was new. Restarted many times because missing items or corrupted savegames. But I love it. They also changed weapons that cast spells on hit like El's Drinker. El's Drinker disappears if you use it a lot. I heard they give those weapons charges and when they run out of charges, the weapons disappear. It was unlimited in DS1.
>>
>>10870693
Kinda sucks, most of the fun I had in the first game was meleeing people with extra damage effects, since you could dual wield, it stacked.
>>
>>10870748
My favorite weapons in DS1 are El's Drinker (cast Vampiric Touch on hit) and Terror Blade (cast Poison on hit). There's a genie who offers you 3 wishes. One of the wishes he offers is duplicating an item, duplicating El's Drinker is a really good idea. Speaking about El's Drinker, I think I met this El character in DS2. He is evil and you must kill him. I never finish DS2 because of the bugs. I heard the CD version (possibly the GOG version too) is less buggy because they patched the game.
>>
>>10870778
> I heard the CD version (possibly the GOG version too) is less buggy because they patched the game.
Can anyone confirm this?
I'd defininitely give these games a shot if they aren't too buggy.
>>
>>10871112
The CD version number is 1.10, it was a patch made by SSI. I think GOG version is patched. But it's still a good idea to save often (multiple saves). Sometime I wish to replay DS series but the buggy DS2 made me consider to choose other games. I recently played Ravenloft series, also published by SSI.
>>
>>10870620
I didn't say it was "new".
>>
>>10871225
Or, you know, just play the first one. Wake of the Ravager doesn't just suck because it is buggy. It also sucks because it has terrible graphics, locations, story, aesthetic, voice acting, etc.
>>
>>10870778

how the fuck do you remember shit like that?
>>
>>10872141
NTA, but sometimes the vidya you play repeatedly as a kid can stick inside your brain forever. I know more about Final Fantasy Tactics on the PS1 than I know about my own family members.
>>
>>10873320

Fair point. I actually remember random shit from my childhood too. Sucks how your memory goes to shit when you become an adult, I can barely remember that I had for breakfast most days.
>>
Moar liek gayme 4 pseudomaculine fanstasies
>>10868778
zoom zoom detected
>>
>>10872141
>>10873320
(i'm not the same anon.) oh if you've played this game, you remember el's drinker.

i came into this thread just to shitpost about el's drinker; to this day, it's my favorite item in any game, and getting 4 of them via the genie and then importing them to darksun2... that was the absolute greatest.

and ,yes, there are less buggy versions, i can't say if it's GOG, but it's possible to beat the game. i had crashes when i was little when the games came out, finally beat it 15 years later.
>>
random favorite darksun moments:

- DS1: the subterranean heart puzzle spread across the maps.
- DS1: the fact that you can end/"beat" the game just by attacking the villages and killing everyone.
- DS1: how desolate and barrren and poor the cities were. holy shit.
- DS1: random crap like the dude wandering that pattern in the dragon illustration map and you can follow him and get experience.
- DS1: dagolar. seriously wtf is that dagolar side quests? it's super creepy.
- DS1: randomly going to the slave pens late in the game just to punch people.
- DS1: wandering the map and punching people after beating the game.

- DS2: the mines. shit was creepy.
- (overall DS2 breaks the atmosphere a bit and is less good. Why is there so much metal and greenery? dafuq.)

- DS1+DS2: notaku selling you random shit.
- DS1+DS2: having chatacters split like 10 classes and all be able to cast fireballs, ironskin, haste, etc.
- DS1+DS2: psionic abilities are SO FUN.
>>
>>10874887
>- DS1: the fact that you can end/"beat" the game just by attacking the villages and killing everyone.
What kind of "ending" did you get?
>>
>>10866451
Why don't they make a new Dark Sun game? It has a cool setting. An Elder Scrolls type game in the Dark Sun world would be amazing.
>>
>>10875345
Read OP's post. A game for MEN.
Zoomers are not MANLY enough for Dark Sun.
>>
>>10869247
at the time they were successful and well reviewed. there were still some problems and some games that whiffed, but overall the were fan favorites for DnD nerds and strategy geeks.
>>
>>10875345
>Why don't they make a new Dark Sun game?
Because Dark Sun is so heckin problematic!!! No fun allowed.

https://www.wargamer.com/dnd/dark-sun-problematic

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.