[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: Speedman.png (881 KB, 860x1387)
881 KB
881 KB PNG
meme but true.
>>
File: 1713483117116566.png (1.69 MB, 1280x903)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB PNG
>>10866942
sonic was always kino
>>
>>10866942
I believe this but I dont make threads about it because im a nice guy. Leave the sonic fans alone
>>
You were never good.
>>
>>10866942
well, that's like your opinion mang
>>
I was a SNESfag but playing Sonic after school at Blockbuster was comfy af
>>
>>10866942
the first game is good, 2 is passable, 3&K feels like it's on rails.
It's crazy how quickly it they lost the spark
>>
Sonic defined 2D platform games. Before Sonic, platform games did not have memorable level designs, fun physics-based gameplay, interesting and unique bosses, and were pretty exclusively marketed towards very young children. After Sonic, every single platform game modeled itself after Sonic's concepts. Sonic embarrassed Nintendo when it came out around the same time as Super Mario World, yet looked and played like a next-generation title by comparison, to the extent that Nintendo stopped producing 2D Mario games for a decade because they were too embarrassed to attempt to compete. Even to this day, there are far more games taking after Sonic's platform design philosophy than Mario's. Sonic was awesome, it was Mario that was never good, ultimately had no impact, and is being forgotten, at least as far as 2D games go. I don't know why you SNES guys insist on starting this fight so often when it never works out for you.
>>
>>10866942
well it's not true or a meme really, that's like saying milhouse is a meme. just because it burnt out after the 4th gen doesn't mean the games we got weren't great.
>>
>>10867216
Switch "Sonic" for "Mario" and you'd be almost right
>>
The actual Sega games were basically laying the groundwork for fangames.
Every Sega Sonic has a "that level". None of them are completely good.
Maybe 2...

That said, it's the whole aesthetic of Sonic that persists, because it's amazing, and some of the best shit in games ever.
>>
File: 1668384188137172.png (473 KB, 1050x670)
473 KB
473 KB PNG
how the fuck is sonic still popular enough to have movies? how are kids in 2024 consooming sonic?
>>
>>10867216
>1991 game "defined platformers"
LMAO. Imagine thinking that.
You're talking a game that was after Mario 1-3, Ghost n Goblins, Castlevania, Megaman, Ninja Gaiden, Adventure Island, Alex Kidd...
You literally have to have only played Sonic games to believe this.
>>
File: EXinRFMWkAAZPBj.jpg (48 KB, 720x743)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>10866942
Look, Sonic-fags are insufferable and the Genesis trilogy are given way too much credit, but I'll give credit to Sonic Pocket Adventure for distilling everything good about the Sonic Genesis games into one streamlined iteration.
>>
>>10866942
>2d games about speed
>have to wait for slow moving platforms
>3d games place enemies above platforms so your homing attack does the jumps for you
>running sections full of in game cutscenes where the game plays for you
It really is quite bad I mean the gimmick of speed isn't bad but they're just so terrible at making it work. I mean fuckin' hell you could argue lard ass wario land 4 and crash faggotcoot have a better base to build a speed based game. I worked for that pizza tower game, yeah? Damnit man sega has cool ideas but they can't execute them for shit man I'm pissed.
>>
>>10867393
>I worked for that pizza tower game, yeah?
Cool! You on pizzatrash?
>>
>>10867393
>*It worked for that pizza tower game
so mad I can't even type or do these captchas
>>
>>10867216
>Even to this day, there are far more games taking after Sonic's platform design philosophy than Mario's
What games are you talking about, the genre isn't even alive anymore
>>
>>10867261
I think it comes down to him being the ultimate mascot to appeal to young boys.
He’s edgy, blue, and “cool”.
The japs spent countless sleepless nights toiling at a drawing board to specifically create something that would appeal to American youth and they hit a home run.

Outside of Mania I don’t think there has been a good Sonic game since SA2 but it doesn’t matter (the GBA games are pretty okay). It’s like Star Wars. They haven’t made a good one in almost 41 fucking years yet it still sells based on the original effort.
>>
>>10867471
Pinball platformers were hardly ever a genre. It's pretty much just Sonic, and glorified Sonic fan games trying to do that.
In the heyday of mascot platformers, most games were just Mario (or Megaman), because it's easier to do that than to program complex physics.
Banjo, DK, Crash, Spyro, Gex, Croc, Rayman all basically Mario inspired games.
Sonic had Zool, I guess.
>>
>>10867268
Never understood the praise Pocket Adventure gets. I think Advance 1 is at least as good
>>
>>10867478
Nope crash was dubed sonic ass game therefore it's a sonic game not a mario game.
>>
>>10867485
Sonic games are about inertia, and slopes, and going really fast through tubes. Crash is just a regular platformer. It's a Mario-like.
If you mean the character is a "bad due with attitude", that's a completely shallow reading of what any of these games are.
And plus, that's just Bugs Bunny.
>>
>>10867485
Tired of this argument as a Sonicfag myself. Crash plays nothing like Sonic
>>
>>10867492
nope naughty dog said it's sonic ass game
rekt and checkt
get fugged buch
bye bye I win *hides thread*
>>
>>10867502
It's clearly Donkey Kong Country, with Dr Robotnik in it.
Crash is mostly Taz, also.
>>
>>10867478
>(or Megaman)
Yeah, I know a game that ripped off Mega Man. The one where a blue guy is fighting a mad scientist piloting a capsule and his mechs
>>
>>10867508
That too.
But I meant more how there's a subset of platformers that are about fighting enemies with weapons. Something like Rocket Knight Adventures, or most of Treasure's games would fall in that category.
>>
>>10866942

I disagree and you're a pussy!
>>
>>10866942
>>10867393
Sonic is weird, in that there's no reason it couldn't have been good, but my experience is that only certain parts on Sonic 2 were actually good.

Sonic clearly should have always been 3D since, in a game about going fast, you want to have the freedom to move side to side while also having control of yourself, as opposed to being restricted to a single line/path or being shoved into a minigame where you're constantly moving forward into the screen. But the actual 3D games were also never that good.
>>
Was Sonic 1 ever marketed as a speedy platformer in Japan? Serious question
>>
>>10866942
The only Sonic game I ever played was what I assume is the original on the SMS. I hated it.
I'm the type that likes to collect everything and explore. Sonic's rings were just a disposable health mechanic and the levels weren't about exploring at all.
I also didn't like the music
>>
>>10867632
>I'm the type that likes to collect everything and explore
So you basically hate every platformer that came before Yoshi's Island or Wario Land?
>>
>>10867643
No, I liked Asterix on the SMS, even that game about the 7up mascot.
The collectibles in Asterix are almost as meaningless, but at least I can stand there and punch all the blocks to see if there's anything in them.
Sonic - well, your motivation is just to get to the end, and I can't help but wonder what I missed along the way
>>
>>10867652
Well, there are 6 chaos emeralds to collect in Sonic on the SMS. They aren't in the bonus stages like in the other games but scattered throughout the regular levels, with 1 emerald in each of the six zones
>>
>>10867478
>Pinball platformers were hardly ever a genre
And for good reason... pinballs can go as fast as they like as long as the flippers can respond in time, but in a pinball-platformer your character just runs into things constantly. It's a crazy genre. Ironically they never utilized QTE battles in Sonic to reduce damage, so it appealed to the more chaotic sensibilities of Western devs. It should've progressed into an action RPG like Kingdom Hearts but it never did.
>>
>>10867687
*classic sonic didn't use QTEs, apparently they were in Unleashed
>>
>>10867632
>Sonic's rings were just a disposable health mechanic and the levels weren't about exploring at all.

I agree that this is a huge problem that degrades the quality of the games. Sonic offers these huge levels to explore, but there's just no reason to care as long as you have a reasonable amount of rings, so all the extras are mostly silly.
>>
>>10866942
This but the opposite
Sonic games are up there will the likes of Michael Jackson and Kali Muscle
>>
>>10867632
It's fun
>>
One day we'll find a cure for autism and there won't be any sonic fans left
>>
Sonic CD was the only good Sonic game. Sega should've given more budget to AM2 and let them do more shit instead of Sonic Team
>>
>>10867582
No, he was called Sludge the Fat Retard in Japan but since the game was a commercial failure in the eastern market they rebranded the character for the game's western release, which saw immediate success
>>
>>10867482
obscurity bias + it has a charming artstyle that really isnt seen in any other sonic game
>>
Sonic was never good on a Sega platform. It was outstanding on the Neo Geo Pocket Color.
>>
>>10866942
In as far as 2D platformers are good at all then Sonic is good.

In terms of 3D plstformers Sonic for some reason didn't translate.
>>
'ate that 'edgehog
'ate 'is friends
'ate 'is chilidog
>>
>>10867168
this is the kind of take someone who hasn't actually played the games would say. Sonic 1 is mid af.
>>
>>10867216
you sound like an old Miata ad
>>
>>10870743
'ate the mess he left on me rug.
>>
>>10867687
>It should've progressed into an action RPG
It did. Sonic frontiers has an entire separate part of it's game dedicated to being an action RPG
>>
>>10866942
Hey you put the wrong game,you know is mortal kombat.
>>
File: ap97020603940_1_.jpg (121 KB, 1280x721)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>10870727
>In terms of 3D platformers Sonic for some reason didn't translate.
It's entirely Yuji Naka and Sonic Team at fault. Nintendo put years and millions into R&D to make Mario work in 3D before the N64 launched, whereas Sega let Sonic Team sit the Sonic franchise out for a valuable gen to make Nights instead, and then barreled through Sonic Adventure's development without taking the time to make sure the core gameplay of the franchise could work in 3D, then every following game just expands upon the already shaky base of SA.
>>
>>10873045
>every following game just expands upon the already shaky base of SA.
Every Sonic fan wishes this were the case. Heroes and Shadow deviated heavily from Sonic Advenure in game feel. 06 was entirely different gameplay wise, even if it "tried" to mimic it. Unleashed and onwards they threw it out entirely. We may get a new Sonic adventure style game after Frontiers, emphasis on may.
>>
>>10873167
>We may get a new Sonic adventure style game after Frontiers, emphasis on may.
Why do you think Frontiers is indicative of this? It sold well and most fans (sadly) liked it so the next Sonic game is going to be open world too. In fact, judging by Bowser's Fury, this is what the next 3D Mario is going to be like as well. Well, unless you consider Frontiers to be the true successor to the Adventure games for some weird reason
>>
>>10866942
Sonic is pretty good for its time, but Mario is more fun because it plays more granular and less deterministic. Sonic is often on-rails to take a hit multiple seconds before it happens. Play both with emulator rewind and you'll see how differently they play.yp0ww
>>
>>10873242
What kek, not even I think you just have extremely slow reflexes and/or you are a literal retard.
>>
>>10873246
it's an undeniable fact that with sonic games you need to rewind more frames/time to undo a hit. You can test this for yourself.
>>
>>10866942
ngl kinda true but i still like it
>>
>>10866942
>popular thing was actually.. never good!
Good post OP, we're all super demotivated right now.
>>
File: Jim.jpg (9 KB, 194x259)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>10866942
>Sonic was never good
Not if it features SONIC'S SHITTY FRIENDS, unlike Sonic 4, sweat tea.
>>
File: izzy.jpg (107 KB, 720x540)
107 KB
107 KB JPG
>>10874351
>>
>>10866942
It is not a meme
Facts are not memes
>>
>>10874419
>It is not a meme
>>
>>10873235
Kishimoto (the guy who directed sonic frontiers) has been alluding to the desire of making a game like adventure on twitter. Frontiers 2 has the potential of not including the boost.
>>
>>10866942
I want to FUCK that HOG
>>
>>10866942
sonic 2, 3, knuckles, and mania are all good
>>
>>10875273
I don't know what SA3 would even be, and I don't think the fans know what they want either.
The first two SA games are very different, in the first place.
>>
>>10874351
>I have to pretend I like all of Sonic's shitty friends now, otherwise Zoomers get mad
Sigh.
Tell me you like the Big the Cat levels. Go on.
Tell me you like Charmy the Bee.
>>
>>10875432
It'll be like update 3 of Sonic Frontiers, a large open zone area where you can play through multiple characters who all control similarly to Sonic (amazing really. It took them how many games before they realised they should just do what the genesis games did). It'll probably just play like the Adventure games, momentum and wonky physics and all.
>>
>>10867216
t. segalardx
>>
It's impossible to claim that sonic was never good without just whining about the difficulty. I've never seen it happen

People act like taking damage in a sonic game causes the controller to electric shock you. Just slow down and stop having a PTSD reaction to hitstun
>>
>>10866942
Mario troons spend their lives hating on Sonic more than playing Mario games
>>
>>10871795
>take
>mid af
you are a cyst filled with liquid essence of social media
>>
Sonic should have been a Ninja Gaiden-style game.
>>
>>10872996
Also true
>>
File: awesomepossum.png (1010 KB, 563x800)
1010 KB
1010 KB PNG
Step aside, hedgehog. Make way for kino.
>>
>>10873045
Ahem!
NiGHTS is a better game than Mario 64.
Mario 64 is just standard Mario gameplay with polygons. Bing bing wahoo, jump on goombas.
NiGHTS on the other hand is actually a bold and brilliant deconstruction of the entire platform genre. An utterly novel concept born, like Einstein's theory of relativity, out of a genius asking very simple questions: what if you didn't have to jump? What if you didn't have to die?
>>
>>10866945
Not true. Sonic used to be good, but mortal kombat was big at the time and it was just kind of hard to top that for 90s kids. I remember way more Mario fans than sonic fans by the way.
Moreover it’s not kino by definition. It’s a video game with a side view and the player controls a blue rodent that jumps on things. There is no seamless synthesis of man and camera that captures the true aspect and impression of cinema.
>>
File: 1000087374.jpg (49 KB, 600x600)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
never liked Sonic

And i don't hate Sonic
>>
>>10877849
Mario has a handful of good games, at least. Sonic has none.
>>
>>10882620
>What if you didn't have to have fun?
>>
>>10882643
Mario wasn't leading any parades and MK didn't get a cartoon until later. Sonic owned the early-mid 90s.
>>
>>10875315
Hi Amy.
>>
>>10877849
Sonic was never good is entirely perpetuated by tendies at this point in time.
>>
>>10869352
>>
>>10867632
>levels weren't about exploring at all
what about giant rings, red star rings, power-ups and the elemental shields?
>>
>>10875436
Charmy the Bee goes hard
>>
When was the last time you beat Sonic CD from start to end? For me, it's been a while.
>>
>>10887974
it's my favorite classic Sonic
>>
>>10867261
Anecdotally I bought Frontiers for a nephew last Christmas and he loved it, they’re also available on phones and tablets, just a quick glance at Google play the original Sonic has over 50 million downloads and there’s also emulation and TV shows to consider, plenty of chances to bring in new fans
>>
>>10876843
He doesn’t like Sonic IIRC. I think he actually prefers Mario.
>>
>>10866942
Actually, I realized that I've come full circle

>8 yo me: sonic is the coolest OMG
>18 yo me: sonic is edgelord slop
>28 yo me: there's no reason why a blue hedgehog that runs really fucking fast, destroys giant robots and goes super saiyan isn't really fucking cool

I don't even play Sonic anymore, btw
>>
>>10867261
You'd be surprised. My gf's little brother is a Sonic fanboy full stop, even prefers him over Mario. He's unironically super hyped for the 3rd Sonic movie. And from what I can tell, his friends also love Sonic. So the blue motherfucker's still going strong
>>
>>10884130
Sonic 2 > the entire Mario 2D catalog
Sonic Generations > the entire Mario 3D catalog
>>
>>10889085
Let us know your thoughts again in another ten years.
>>
>>10866942
That's true only for the 3D Sonic games before Sonic Colors
>>
>>10866942
Pulseman and Sonic CD are cool

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.