[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: GameFreakLogo.png (22 KB, 2560x269)
22 KB
22 KB PNG
Let's have a thread about retro Game Freak games that are NOT Pokémon.
This includes:

>Quinty / Mendel Palace (1989 - NES)
>Jerry Boy / Smart Ball (1991 - SNES)
>Yoshi (1991 - NES/GB)
>Magical Tarurūto-kun (1992 - Mega Drive)
>Mario & Wario (1993 - SFC)
>Nontan to Issho: KuruKuru Puzzle (1994 - SFC/GB)
>Pulseman (1994 - Mega Drive)
>Bazaar de Gosāru no Game de Gosāru (1996 - PCE-CD)
>Jelly Boy 2 (1996 - SFC) [UNRELEASED]
>Bushi Seiryūden: Futari no Yūsha (1997 - SFC)
>Click Medic (1999 - PS1)
>Drill Dozer (2005 - GBA)

Have you played any of these games? If so, which of them are the best and the worst? Do you think we'd see sequels to any of these games had Pokémon never happened?
>>
Pulseman is such a ride, highly recommend
>>
The only one I've played was Smart Ball. I was not impressed, but neither did I hate it
>>
>>10866986
I'll never forgive Sega for making that game Sega Channel exclusive in the west.
>>
I've played Mendel Palace. It was okay but not great. The idea seemed better than the execution and some levels are outright annoying.
>>
GF modern projects keep failing, it's a wonder why they dont just repackage their older stuff, unless the rights are all scattered to various entities. A modern port of Pulseman or a double pack of the two Jerry Boy games would probably sell better then their recent non pokemon stuff.
>>
>>10866968
>Magical Tarurūto-kun (1992 - Mega Drive)
I played this months ago and it was really fun. I do wish they made more non-Pokemon games, seems like their catalog was a lot more creative and varied back then
>>
Drill Dozer > poketrash
>>
File: WokuBack.png (4 KB, 193x217)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>10867881
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the rights are divided as follows:
>Quinty is owned by Bandai-Namco
>The Jelly Boy games & Click Medic are owned by Sony
>Pulseman is owned by Sega
>Bushi Seiryuden was owned by T&E Soft, but I don't think that company is around anymore so that game might actually be abandonware if nobody scooped up the rights.
>Drill Dozer is owned by Nintendo
>All licensed games are owned by their original licensers
>>
>>10868651
Someone bought Bushi at a private auction. Either way, 90% of the people who worked at GF at the time of these games no longer work there. The company is a revolving door, people leave and get hired constantly that it’s almost unrecognizable now
>>
>>10868863
>Someone bought Bushi at a private auction
Wot? Really?
>>
>>10868863
Wtf do they intend to do with the rights? Re release it i would hope, unless its just a super autist that collects dead ip rights.
>>
>>10866968
I have a few of these
>Quinty
Great game. It's much better of you do multiplayer.
>Jerry Boy
It's ok. Nothing to really say about it.
>Pulseman
Fun game. There's room for improvement but it's not bad.
>Bushi Seiryuden
I have this one but I haven't played it yet. I like the art.
>>
File: D4EnterpriseLogo.png (9 KB, 320x320)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
>>10868651
>>10868863
According to Wikipedia, a company called "D4 Enterprise" bought the rights to T&E Soft's games in 2019.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%26E_Soft
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D4_Enterprise
>>
Best: Bushi Seiryūden: Futari no Yūsha
Most overrated: Drill Dozer
Mendel Palace and Mario & Wario are good. Though the later is obsoleted by a touhou clone game. The rest is all forgettable mediocre and I'm glad they focused on pokemon
>>
>>10867881
>A modern port of Pulseman
Isn't it on the Switch's Genesis NSO app?
>>
File: sckfs1.png (9 KB, 878x720)
9 KB
9 KB PNG
Bazaar de Gosaru is really one of their best games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQahRYGp3Ww
Wish I could show the soundtrack
>>
>>10873123
Looks pretty interesting. How well do PC-Engine CD games emulate?
>>
>>10874362
Good
>>
>>10872220
It is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_oWkNienwo
>>
>>10873123
I found out about it through GCCX. Someone on the translation team suggested it as a change of pace but afterwards gave the impression that they regretted doing it. I thought it was a great episode so I decided to give it a try after watching it. It's just a puzzle game with good presentation but it ticks all the right boxes for me.
>>
>>10873123
I reject the notion that you even called this a game.
>>
Can somebody tell me what the big appeal of Drill Dozer is? Seems like it's on so many peoples' favorite GBA list, but I've played a couple hours of it and found it mind-numbingly easy. So easy that I can't see the fun in it.
>>
>>10877083
It's a puzzle game. Do you reject the notion that all puzzle games are games or something?
>>
>>10866968
I've played a bit of Bushi and it seemed pretty good. Great art too
>>
>>10877095
Rumble.
>>
>>10879432
I play it on the Everdrive, so I guess that makes sense.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.