[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Monke game called /vr/, we picking up?
>>
>>10868694
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGlPP2mOcAc
>>
>>10868694
I played through Ape Escape 1-3 for the first time this year and I really enjoyed all of them.
Finally had the opportunity to play PS1/PS2 games after my cousin gave me an old PS2 he no longer used.
Out of the trilogy, the first is my favorite. Really like the atmosphere and the soundtrack. Also the best story, as it’s mostly serious. I will say the sequels have better controls and voice acting though. 2 had some fun boss battles and I like the stage variety in 3.
It’s probably a series that I could replay at least once a year. Some of the best 3D platformers ever.
>>
*plays Snowy Mammoth in you’re path*
https://youtu.be/FGnCFRbMSbk?si=brjxyYGRGyCpQy5S
>>
I finished 3 for the first time yesterday. Such a great game. All three are awesome but if I had to choose it's probably be the first one. Not only was it something completely new, it also has probably my favorite graphics out of any PS1 game ever aside from maybe SH1 and MGS1
>>10868807
>I will say the sequels have better controls
I have to disagree, 1 overall feels more fun to play to me personally. Little details like the sky flyer being fun to use unlike in 2 and 3 when using it makes you lose all of the momentum
>Some of the best 3D platformers ever.
I honestly can't name a more underrated series. Most games that are considered 'hidden gems/underrated' have good at best gameplay but Ape Escape 1-3 are literally among the most fun games I've ever played and no one cares about them nowadays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvFf091Qatc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwnN1fSfoUs&list=PLr3ad8O9Qc1scQaFEEbyMw2Nns2veepLq&index=37
>>
>>10868694
I miss the days when PlayStation exclusives had at least an ounce of variety, and weren't all jewish cinematic slop.
>>
I still need to play the third, but I didn't fully completely clear the second because of that dumb secret monkey radar thing they gave you at the end that required you to backtrack a lot.
>>
>>10868896
I think I said I felt that the controls feel better in the sequels is that some aspects felt better to me. And one thing I think is better in the sequels is that you only lose 1 hit point when you fall into a pit in comparison into losing a whole life. Led to me getting a lot less game overs in 2 and 3. It also took me some time to get used to jumping with the shoulder buttons instead of one of the face buttons like you would in almost every other 3D platformer.
But I definitely agree that the sky flyer feels much better to use in the first game in comparison to 2 or 3. I feel like you lose your momentum faster in 2 and 3 compared to 1.
Speaking of 1, I occasionally get the Crumbling Castle and Specter Land themes stuck in my head.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nBy_pkcsdzs&list=PL06360565CFC0FAC0&index=26&pp=iAQB8AUB
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HQtVUD7_zRs&list=PL06360565CFC0FAC0&index=31&pp=iAQB8AUB
>>
This monotonous song wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't used in one of the largest maps in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwn9wx2dqqI
>>
>>10868849
This game had such comfy fucking music.
>>
File: 1706041068326519.png (1.08 MB, 1299x974)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB PNG
>>10868896
Ape Escape issue is that it was a 3D platformer series that started as shooters and other edgier genres were taking over gaming. So it ended being looked over despite being made very well. I consider them all unique high quality games. Nothing else gives me that same sense of satisfaction as catching a monkey in these games.
>>
>>10869414
> that started as shooters and other edgier genres were taking over gaming
And yet everyone still can't shut up about Jak, Sly and Ratchet. I'm not shitting on these games by any means but you get what I'm saying
>>
1st and 3rd games are god tier. 2nd is just fine.

>>10869152
The producer did a masterstroke when they decided to get a random Japanese jungle composer he knew of to make the music for the original game. Introduced so many people to those certain kinds of Japanese electronica.
>>
how do yall feel about the various spinoffs?
>>
>>10869414
The series didn't catch on because catching monkeys is not cool. The "you need to be this IQ" meme legitimately applies to Ape Escape, it requires you to be not dumb to look at a game about catching stupid looking monkeys and not go pssshhh.
To be fair AE1 did get some traction on PS1 but by PS2 we were in full edge mode
>>
>>10871903
>The "you need to be this IQ" meme legitimately applies to Ape Escape
I was also surprised to learn that some people simply can't handle AE's unconventional control scheme, it truly is a brainlet filter
>>
File: 1707744290196100.webm (2.88 MB, 708x540)
2.88 MB
2.88 MB WEBM
>>
>>10871868
Pipo Saru 2001 and Pumped and Primed are okay. Million Monkeys was kinda eh. SaruSaru Big Mission is almost on par with the main games, but that's not /vr/. The rest are just ass.
>>
File: 1692925843138739.png (1.69 MB, 1316x960)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB PNG
>>10871979
I have to finish my playthrough of Pipo Saru 2001. One of the stranger premises of a game I've ever played.
>>
File: neosaru.gif (1.82 MB, 480x480)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB GIF
What made Ape Escape such a peak of platforming for PlayStation?
>>
>>10871928
I dunno about there being a significant discrepancy between players based on spatial-awareness and hand-eye coordination for AE being different from any other 3D genre (though it wouldn’t surprise me), but I definitely wonder how a game with a combination of AE’s use of the right analog stick for gameplay and trigger buttons for camera alignment and crouching/jumping would be received and handled by modern-day audiences now that it’s firmly cemented in our brains that “game controls have two analog sticks so that you can use the left for movement and the right for aiming/camera positioning”
Like I think you’d see more kids struggle for a longer time to get accustomed to the control scheme than back when the biggest leap we had to make during AE’s release was “my camera-realignment button is a trigger, and now there’s a new analog stick no one knows what to do with yet which lets me swing the net and various other tools around”
(Honestly, you could argue that AE paved the way for the “right stick = aim” mechanic we know today, because half of the gadgets involved some form of horizontal aiming, even though the camera didn’t follow whichever the player character was facing)

…I want more classic AE games that control the same way AE1 did
>>
File: DrY7h_JUcAALCw8.jpg (26 KB, 332x294)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>broke my Ape Escape disc by accident
>megnafen emulator analog stick feels bad and constantly needs setting back up
>can't find the PAL version online, have to play the shitty NTSC version (only bad because the voice acting sounds different)
its also tiring
>>
>>10873140
>>can't find the PAL version online
Vimm's Lair
>>
File: Ae3sp10.png (96 KB, 250x219)
96 KB
96 KB PNG
Ape escape 3 is my favorite crying emoji game
>>
>>10873013
Great collect-a-thon but the collectables fight back gameplay which used the analog sticks/shoulder buttons in an actual ingenious way, great music made by an underground Japanese jungle artist the producer of the game liked, a solid colorful art style that still looks great to this day and an amusing story with great cutscenes. It's truly peak.
>>
>>10873140
I've played Ape Escape with Mednafen just fine. I just followed the documentation for the PS1 module when it came to tweaking the config line "psx.input.port1.dualshock.axis_scale."
It recommends using 1.33 as a baseline and experimenting with smaller values like 1.20 until it feels best.
>>
>>10873013
The collectibles that fight back is such a kino concept. honestly, the monkeys are so great.
>>
File: 1529202339721.gif (1.43 MB, 360x238)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB GIF
>>10868694
if you played NTSC you didn't play Ape Escape. Go back and play it PAL or JP right now.
>>
>>10873160
UUUOOOOOOHHHHHH
>>
>>10875106
And the reason for that is?
>>
>>10875205
ever heard an american speak?
>>
File: 1711512593599964.jpg (7 KB, 300x168)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>10869152
sure did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYi-zuFRGUE
>>
>Ape Escape 2 JPN had quick gadget swap
>American version didn't
why
>>
>name: Yumi
>age: 4th grader
>favourite subjects: English, music
>skills: singing
Cheerful girl!
>>
File: Ape Escape.png (3.05 MB, 960x1440)
3.05 MB
3.05 MB PNG
I just beat the first game (except the time trials). Great stuff overall, not sure if/when I'll play the sequels
>>
>>10877335
I guess to compensate for the International versions not needing an extra disc for the last three monkeys in the game, so JAPs had something over them? IDK.

In either case, I'm glad they didn't do the same shit with 3.
>>
>>10878727
Gameplay-wise the sequels are just as good so I'd play them later if I were you
>>
>>10868694
Always felt that 2 was the best gameplay-wise, but it had the weakest art direction and music. Not that the soundtrack in 2 is bad, but it doesn't compare to 1 or 3 which have some of the best video-game music ever.
>>
Which game do you guys think has the better dnb soundtrack? Ape Escape or Bomberman Hero?
I think I like the Ape Escape soundtrack slightly better than Hero’s, but Hero is still one of the best Bomberman games in terms of its music.
Funnily enough, the games only came out a year apart from each other.
>>
>>10881305
2 felt like it needed more time in the kitchen.
>>
>>10882603
I still return to Ape Escape's soundtrack every few months, while I haven't listened to Bomberman Hero's after beating the game years ago.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.