[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

4 levels
0 enemies
9 FPS
>>
>>10870806
I rember being so hyped for this, Panzer Saga and SF3 only for the Saturn to die in my country before they released, so no one stocked them and the net wasn’t really a thing so I couldn’t order them

I should prolly play them some day
>>
>>10870806
Biggest problem the game has is its length, levels are meant to be replayed but more levels would have been cool. OP is a faggot console warrior.
>>
>>10870806
You could argue that the environmental hazards are the enemies. I'm not going to because burning rangers is gay but you could.
>>
>>10870806
BURNING RANGERS WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT RIGHT BURNING RANGERS TO THE PEOPLE IN PARADISE BURNING RANGERS UNDER THE MARINE COLORED SKY FLY HIIIIIIIIIIIGH
>>10870843
Burning Rangers emulates like shit last time I checked. Panzer Dragoon Saga emulates really well though.
>>
File: 1699366750958862.png (387 KB, 1270x704)
387 KB
387 KB PNG
>>10870806
>9 FPS
weird, tendies love their slideshows but when it comes to other consoles, single digits fps bad
>>
>>10870864
The hell does Nintendo have to do with this?
>>
>>10870873
Anons who make threads criticizing saturn/ps1 games are always tendies. Now act outraged if you want to, but I know the truth.
>>
I remember picking this and Shining Force 3 Part 1 up as a kid when the Saturn was having it's last hurrah before being fucked off. Never grabbed a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga which is a shame.

Enjoyed the game, but looking back if was definitely janky and would probably just infuriate me if I tried to play it now. Have memories of the "hear a whistle and press down to dodge jump" being very temperamental which would often result in lost crystals and potentially fuck you over when it came to teleporting casualties out.

Levels were very linear, but I'm sure they mixed up casualties and their locations from play through to playthrough. Never managed to rescue all the survivors and complete the log book you had for it.

The mail system was also pretty cool for it's time with the casualties you rescued sending you thanks and occasional tidbits of information. Felt they could have fleshed out the Burning Rangers team a bit more as they were interesting characters but you only knew the snippet of information on each the instruction manual gave you. Music was really good and the little spaceship minigame was fun enough. They did a mission in PSO which was a homage to Burning Rangers with the theme playing throughout and putting out fires and rescuing people as the objective. Also think the visuals were very impressive for the time even if the frame rate absolutely tanked if too much was going on.

Plot was pretty out there. Definitely didn't see it ending up where it did considering the premise and how it started.

On a random note I did go on to become a firefighter and have been doing it for 15 years. Can confirm none of the stuff from this game has helped.
>>
File: 1616648747402.webm (2.91 MB, 640x480)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB WEBM
Saturn is for arcade gameplay
>>
>>10870910
Saturn quake fag has a vendetta of some kind
>>
>>10870907
Do you fight fire monster bosses like in Firefighter FD 18?
>>
more like flaming rangers, amirite?
>>
>>10870876
Strange, you claim all these console war posts about SOTN, MMX4, MM8, SFAz etc where Sony fans shit on Saturn or try to control damage are actually advanced nintendo fanboy falseflag tactics?
>>
Sega was literally never good. Their consoles were shit and even in the arcade they were mogged by Namco.
>>
>>10870916

No, you usually fight a bit of fire and then a senior officer shows up and orders all crews to withdraw as fire is dangerous so you stand outside throwing water through a window doing fuck all until the fire eventually burns itself out.

Or you go and help the scum of society who have locked themselves out of the house at 3am drunk and don't want to pay for an emergency locksmith so phone 999 and claim to have left cooking on so they can get back in for free.

The boss fights are never as exciting in real life.
>>
>>10870923
No, I'm claiming they're Commodore Commandos.
>>
>>10870934
Are you a volunteer? Any favorite firefighter core?
>>
>>10870935
you completely conceded the argument for an unfunny joke. what a fucking loser hahah
>>
/vr/ hates the Saturn. It's just a small autistic vocal minority who pretends it's good.
>>
>>10870941
I adore my 64.
>>
>>10870946
i HATE my 128
>>
>>10870942
Wtf are you even talking about? Saturn is a staple /vr/ console, newfag nigger.
>>
>>10870957
I never even saw a Saturn post here until like last week when that YouTube video came out.
>>
/vr/ has always been a Nintendo board. Look at the sticky image.
>>
>>10870806
I remember the plant which spits out fire. It had a pattern and phases to deal with in fighting the fires. Does that not count as an enemy?

The game is themed around firefighting, so that is the obstacle in which its gameplay. I can enjoy all sorts of games that don't have enemies, such as puzzle games or point & click adventures. I actually do like Burning Rangers and admit its flaw was the lack of stages, as it did feel like Sonic Team made a lot of cuts to the story as it feels like it should have been at least 7 scenarios, but what they did offer looked good and was fun for me. I don't have the tools to measure framerate nor frametimes, but it was playable to me in its day. I know it is not a locked 60, but it certainly didn't feel like 9 which I am guessing is its 1% lows which I think was the slo-mo when hit in a very busy scene. After a few playthoughs, which the game is fun enough to me for, I don't ever get hit, so I never encounter those framerate lows. There's even audio warnings and enough telegraphing which makes it easy enough to not get hit to begin with. The polygon wiggling and temporal consistency of textures may be a result of taxing the hardware, but it still looked good and played fine enough to be a very memorable game to me.
>>
>>10870973
Newfag.
>>
>>10870991
only because you're protected by the jannies. easy to talk shit about other systems when threads critical of nintendo get deleted easily
>>
>>10870860
>Burning Rangers emulates like shit last time I checked.

It emulates great and has been since 2007. It's just that the game is shit. All those graphical glitches you experience in emulators also happen on the console.
>>
>>10870935
Commando on the C64 was a legit great game.
>>
>>10870942
/vr/ is apathetic about the Saturn except for an intense and vocal set of haters
>>
>>10870991
it’s just that Nintendo is the default topic for retro games discussion because they have maintained their branding and characters consistently for 30 years and groomed multiple new generations into their stuff. And there are a lot of YouTubers who talk about Nintendo stuff because it gets views
>>
>>10870876
ps1 royally shits all over saturn
>>
>>10870991
/v/ is a nintendo board. "comfy switch" threads are allowed, while other consoles dont get that same protection
>>
>>10870991
I don't care about nintendo and like sega, but Burning Rangers is just shit
>>
>>10870876
The honest truth is that only homosexuals and Redditors like the Saturn. Everyone likes the PSX
>>
>>10871253
Fuck off back to /v/
>>
>>10870806
It does have enemies.
>>
It feels like a tech demo, which apparently it was for the Dreamcast or Sonic Adventure or something. I feel like the best parts were the boss fights. They probably could have made a decent little 3D MegaMan game if they ditched the firefighter theme, but kept the fire and explosion mechanics as environmental hazards, create new basic enemies like the robots you fight and flesh out the bosses. The actual firefighting mechanics just feels like placeholders for actual enemy encounters anyway rather then an intentional design from the start.

Would be cool if a Sonic Adventure 3 ever happens if that made the levels for Shadow or whoever to play like BR mechanics.
>>
>>10870806
Tech demo
>>
>>10870876
This, get fucked OP.
>>
>>10870991
This
Remember when they blocked out PSX discussion because Moot was a hard core Nintendo bab.
>>
>>10870940

Wholetime in London, UK.

No other experience with firefighting games aside from playing a demo of Rosco McQueen on the playstation back in the day. Did used to enjoy setting stuff on fire when I was a kid, though.
>>
>>10870864
GoldenEye is a good game unlike Burning Rangers, so it gets a pass.
>>
>>10870910
>Saturn is for turning off the console and playing PS1 or N64 instead
>>
>>10870942
if it had ported metal slug and gundam games I would've bought this over a ps1. appealed much more to my taste as a kid obsessed with mechs, light guns and 2D shoot em ups.
>>
>>10870806
Once Saturn emulators were good I tried all the “must play” games, like this one.

I probably would have liked it as a kid but wow, it’s extremely underwhelming.

Best Saturn game is Die Hard Arcade.
>>
Fire is an enemy of firefighters
>>
>>10870806
All great songs
>>
This and Nights is what Sega chose to work on instead of Sonic, meanwhile cancelling the western Sonic project.

Were they worth it?
>>
>>10870973
Is that why the the board has been flooded with low quality Saturn threads lately? I figured it was just the "Sega System" shitposter having another mental breakdown.
>>
>We Are Burning Rangers kicks in during the tube shooter part near the end
>>
>>10873563
Xtreme was a pending trash fire, 3D Blast's formula was too neglected to get a proper follow up.
They got it down with Jam and R, but the real deal was pushed to Dreamcast.

Cancelling the project was a right move
>>
>>10873949
The right call was to let the bug! team make the sonic game they were promised to and let Traveller's tales make the REAL 3D Sonic of that gen.
>>
>>10870873
Saturnfags gets insecure when anyone talks bad about the 8 Saturn games people actually care.

Saturn is third place anon.
>>
>>10874048
and N64 and GameCube will never be better than second place
>>
>>10874057
I like how you keep coming back to Nintendo like "I know the Saturn sucked but what about N64 TeNdiEs?
>>
>>10871627
This, Saturn fans and PlayStation fans are the same people and have no bad blood among themselves. All shitposting on 4chan is from Nintendo fans.
>>
>>10874048
>Saturn is third place anon.
Do you really think the 3DO is better than it?
>>
>>10874447
Not too worried about the Jaguar or 3DO or PC-FX fanbases tbdesu
>>
>>10870806
>psone : just a simple movie loading 15 fps and sometimes dropping to 0 fps.
each console had issues.
>snes being underpowered
>saturn being too powerfull to the point of bottlenecking itself.
>psone not having a 2D GPU (all games are 3D even the fighting ones)
>>
>>10875074
retard
>>
>>10870806
100% kino
>>
>>10871745
>fireman
>used to enjoy setting stuff on fire when I was a kid, though.
What was the name of this corelation again?
>>
>>10870806
You forgot
>only 2 hours of gameplay
Kino music tho
>BURNING RANGERS GO!
https://youtu.be/9O_JLWqRF_Q?si=YvbFMCphhJ97HAA1
>>
>>10870942
I love the saturn. Even if it got mogged to death by the psx and 64 it's still one of my favorites
>>
>>10870860
>BR emulates like shit
Have you ever played it on original hardware?
>>
>>10875980
I did as a kid and I loved it. Last time I tried to emulate it I couldn't see the fire and the explosions happened like every 20 seconds.
>>
>>10871826
>GoldenEye is a good game
no game that reaches single digits fps can ever be good
>>
>9 fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21dAdX4XcRQ
>>
>>10875538
its a mech machine, and that alone warrants appreciation
>>
This game looks really good for a Saturn 3D game. Usually you don’t see lighting and texturing used together to that extent on Saturn, and the particular use of bloom-y colored lighting looks really cool.
Also you can see a lot of design ideas in this that were used a lot more in the following generation. This game feels like it was pushing the absolute bleeding edge of a dying platform. Yeah the framerate tanks a lot, but you can see the tradeoffs they made that caused that.
>>
>>10877907
>Also you can see a lot of design ideas in this that were used a lot more in the following generation.
which ideas?
>>
>>10878248
NTA but I can see some similarities in Phantasy Star Online's character designs.
>>
>>10872926
>“must play” games, like this one

You searched the most popular games, the best Saturn titles are often just arcade ports
>>
>>10877014
Framebaby.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.