[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

>I understand why fans who've never played the Saturn version would be interested in those features, but I really, really don't feel good about them. I couldn't put my name on that stuff and present it to Castlevania fans.
>—Koji Igarashi, June 2007, on the Saturn port[45]
>>
>>10870919
Sums up all Japanese Saturn games kek
>>
Iga was just an assistant director on SOTN and jumped in mid-development.
His first real game was Harmony.
Also, there's an interview where he says he picked Castlevania out of a list and based on popularity, not because he actually loved the series.
>>
Coming from the guy who's so full of himself he de-canonized the games he didn't have a role in
>>
>>10870998
Kind of hard to decanonize the CV games when the majority of them pre-Rondo/Symphony had no real canon and were mostly just variations of "Simon fights Dracula".
>>
A few extra rooms don't justify the slowdowns, longer load times, lack of transparency, animation downgrades, or worst of all the stretching.
>>
>>10871032
Maybe not, but the double tap running in the reverse castle singlehandely does.
>>
>>10871032
There's a romhack that improves the slowdown and transparencies significantly. Nothing could be done about the stretched backgrounds though.
>>
>>10871039
Can't the stretching be fixed with filters?
>>
>>10871037
how does double tap running help when the game has slowdown from start to end, making your movement slower even with double tap run, while it looks half a gen worse?
>>
>>10870919
vinesauce or some other retro eceleb should do a stream "playing Saturn games until I like the console", will provide days of content
>>
>>10870919
Good game, bad port by a lazy inexperienced team
>>
>>10870919
Ironic coming through the guy who couldn't even port the X68000 game correctly.
>>
>>10870919
>saturn can't output 256 width resolution
fucking useless ass port.
>>
File: 1651862816646.png (3 KB, 381x357)
3 KB
3 KB PNG
>>10870927
Is it just me or are people more vocal about hating on Saturn than Saturn fans are vocal about enjoying the Saturn?
>>10870930
>>10870998
Iga sucks in general.
>>10871007
I, for one, enjoy variously drawn versions of Simon fighting variously drawn versions of Dracula. Except maybe the Amiga version. Eurobros can keep that one.
>>10871032
Fair criticism.
>>10871037
Definite cope, and this is from someone who thoroughly enjoyed playing the patched version as of a few years ago while my coworker's career imploded in the background (which probably had more to do with my enjoyment than having a cart that could boot CD-R's).
>>10871039
>>10871089
I think the Saturn version would need to be rebuilt to use the 320x240 mode for gameplay while displaying everything in a 256x240 windows, then use all the sprites and backgrounds as they were from the Playstation version, then rework any custom Saturn sprites to not look like shit in the new resolution. This would still require the player to endure squished sprites or to adjust their CRT (or emulator) settings to have the 256x240 windows use all available 4:3 screen real estate. That's a shit load of work.
>>10871220
I could boot up Vampire Savior or Fighters Megamix and be done in a few minutes, but that also defeats the point of being an eceleb grifter.
>>10871250
It's an all right game until you try to break it with glitches or overpowered weapons. Luck mode with level 1 fixed stats is probably the "best" way to play, and even then I put the quotation marks for a reason.
>>10871279
Kek, also very true.
>>10871319
Yes, huge weakness of the console. Means a ton of classic Capcom and Konami ports are objectively better on the PS1, especially the MSX collection from Konami and the Capcom Generations series.
>>
>>10870998
circle of the moon, 64 and LoD (devs said themself) never was canon to begin with lmao
as for legends, you really want that dogshit game that contradicts lore before and after be canon
>>
>>10871037
since you can already wing smash infinitely without glitches in the saturn version, running is made irrelevant by that point. plus i don't know if it was just me but i think it fucked with my spell executions. i'm sure it must have for maria mode at least because i could never activate that invincibility spell, made galamoth a real pain.
>>
>>10870919
only thing saturn has over rest of version is literally maria mode and some new tracks
>>
>>10871524
I'll give you Guardian, but the NES remixes were horrible. Also, Saturn has a Maria boss fight that is marginally challenging in that she tries to fight back (as opposed to PSP where you can literally stunlock her with divekicks).
>>
>>10871331
>especially the MSX collection from Konami
the saturn version has all 3 volumes on 1 disc though?
>>
>>10871536
bloody tears was pretty good, probably my favorite rendition of it now. too bad you can only hear it for 15 seconds ingame, should've been a longer fight in the inverted castle for the alucard spear.
>>
The Sega Saturn version had a far better Maria Renard move set. It felt like Richter had truly trained her for years to harness her abilities and become a proper Vampire Hunter, not just a joke character.
>>
in a perfect world there would be a ps1 hack that adds in the best elements from the saturn ver. the themes of the extra areas but redrawn with its own art, psp maria as both playable and boss at the center of regular castle and then saturn maria for final "dark maria" boss iga mentioned. complete with the unused possessed dialog ending
>>
I really hate Maria’s walk animation in this. It doesn’t feel like it was designed for a playable character
>>
saturn with fixes > ps1 > saturn
>>
>>10871039
Emulating it with a half-decent PC eliminates the slowdown issues and 95% of the additional loading screens. That said short of the novelty of the one new boss and the ghost enemy being immune to physical damage and Maria mode I suppose the game experience on the Saturn, although I did notice some odd QoL changes to a few music tracks, it makes them loop slightly better.
>>
>>10874590
>the game experience on the Saturn
isn't a significant improvement should be there
>>
>>10874576
i think it's just her walk animation from her cutscenes which explains why she's so slow.
>>
>>10874585
You'd have to be actually retarded to think this
>>
>>10874585
There’s no fix for the unevenly stretched background graphics
>>
>>10874585
Or the mangled sound effects, or the bad conversions of polygon effects, etc.
>>
File: 115881_6.jpg (42 KB, 382x450)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>10874747
>>10874757
>>10874758
you seem to be out of the loop. major patch was released for sotn saturn a couple months ago.
they fixed loading times
aspect ratios
the game is now fullscreen
transparencies
map macro

its terrifying but saturn might actually become the ps1 version soon
>>
>>10874786
There's no way to fix the aspect ratio without requiring the player to adjust their CRT, and not all CRTs even allow such a big adjustment. See >>10871319
>>
>>10874786
I played this but the background graphics and audio are still fucked
>>
>>10874786
They put in art from the PSP rerelease for god knows what reason
>>
>>10874786
what's the patch? i only played the translation by knightofdragon and it said it fixed some loading times but it didn't seem like it was by much. maybe that's just because of the submenu/map though. would be very nice if they could make map its own button again.
>>
oh and speaking of the map, did they add wolf swimming back? i got lucky with those inverted caverns tiles but that's such a dumb thing to remove.
>>
>>10874590
>>10871039
>goin trough hoops

how about NO?, look, if you want the saturn content so badly, wait until SOTN ps1 gets fully reverse engineered and start making ports yourselves.
>>
>>10874849
if you consider something so basic as emulation to be 'going through hoops in the year of our lord 2024 I don't know what to say to you, I've been emulating the PSX version as the primary way to play it for at least twenty years already
>>
>>10870919
Played the play station version first and later the saturn version thinking it would be a very giant upgrade but no:

- The 2 new zones, wich are the garden and the dungeon, both are small. In fact, the dungeon zone is so small, that is even smaller than the outer wall zone.

- Very few enemies from the saturn version, and even more few ones of them are memorable(the giant carnivore plant that walks from the garden and the man with the scissors from the garden too are of the few memorable ones) . Most new enemies are gargoyles or ghosts, wich by the way looks like they were made in a rush.

- Very few new weapons, items and shields.

- The new familiars look like mediocre imitations of the ones that were already present in the play sation version(for example, one is the same imp but with a mask). Is like they were made rushed too.

- No boss in the dungeon area(what a wasted chance).

- No bosses in the alternate garden area or in the alternated dungeon area(again what a wasted chance).

- The same problem as the play sation version: some enemies(like the nova skeletons or the jack-o-bones) are so common to find in nearly every zone that it makes it annoying(they wasted the chance of replacing them for some new few enemies).

- As far as know, it has the same problem as the play station version: if you have beaten the game, you cannot start a new game with most of the swords, shields and itmes you finished the lats one.

I expected the saturn version to be very superior to the play station one, but it was only very slight the difference.
>>
>>10875308
>The new familiars look like mediocre imitations of the ones that were already present in the play sation version(for example, one is the same imp but with a mask). Is like they were made rushed too.
They were both in the original PS1 version, but got removed for the US release. The PSP/PS4 version also put them back in.
>>
>>10871331
Someone made fun of a product you bought, you're not being persecuted. Shut up.
>>
>>10870919
Chadbox 360 mogs

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.