[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: hqdefault.jpg (23 KB, 480x360)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Whats the one cancelled /vr/ title that still hurts you?
>>
I would have given my left nut to see Lufia Ruins Chasers come out as intended on the PSX
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g65aNHZKMXk
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzvS_beXtXk
>>
File: resident-evil-0-n64.jpg (56 KB, 537x350)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
I also like to imagine that this version would be great and absolutely on par with the original trilogy
>>
>>10871117
Wtf this is the first time I'm seeing this, how in the fuck is this running on a SNES. Rare are just insane
>>
>>10871146
I wish this came out so Sonic would become a laughing stock even earlier than he did.
>>
>>10871117
That's insane, wow. Does that mean stuff like Resident Evil would have been possible?
>>
>>10871209
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbxBclN1S54
It would be something like this
>>
>>10871219
Its always a shame snes/gba/ds didn't get enough 3d experiments. Wpuld have been great, wow, i would have bought that back in the day.
>>
>>10871162
It wouldn't be on par with 1-2-3, because everything indicates that the story would have been the same (it sucks) and that you'd still have to deal with the item dropping bullshit.
However, it would definitely have been better than the GC version. From the videos we have the game seems to use the same engine as RE2 N64, and all the models and animations are straight out of RE2. So, gameplay would have been as tight as in RE2 whereas it plays like ass on GC due to the animations being too long. It would also have been more colourful while GC is all "3 shades of brown + red"
>>
File: hellraiser guts.jpg (271 KB, 800x1097)
271 KB
271 KB JPG
NES Hellraiser. The fact that it would have it's own Z80 processor was nuts and years ahead of similar implementations in the homebrew scene today. The theme as well...Cenobites on the NES?

This should be the most valuable NES cart if the proto is ever found as it's totally unique.
>>
Sci-Fi rail-shooter for DC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eCU0azDqr4
>>
pc cocoron, cuz it was finished but its being hoarded in a refirgerator in a french dude's apartment in japan
>>
>>10871247
tell me more
>>
File: 200px-Sutte_Hakkun_GB.png (57 KB, 200x175)
57 KB
57 KB PNG
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (146 KB, 1280x720)
146 KB
146 KB JPG
I'm still mad
>>
>>10872468
This would be my answer too desu but I'm not sure it's retro
>>
Sierra teased a Space Quest 7. It would have been nice to have got that, but I suppose SQ6 would have had to have been good first (SQ6 was not good).
>>
File: bgb00001.png (14 KB, 256x224)
14 KB
14 KB PNG
>>10872437
You can just download this now.
>>
>>10872468
>>10872473
3DS games aren't retro, retards.
>>
>>10871247
Everything on that board can be sourced. May as well just do the RPI interface through an NES cart. Meh.
>>
>>10872494
SQ6 is okay imo, but mostly because Josh Mandel's writing and Gary Owens returning save it.
Still a shame there's no 7
>>
File: Dart_pose2.jpg (670 KB, 1600x1000)
670 KB
670 KB JPG
Legend of Dragoon was supposed to get a sequel. Was even in the planning stages, according to the original director. But Square became Sony's bottom bitch, making Final Fantasy an honorary Sony IP, so the Legend of Dragoon IP was no longer needed.
Sony is still aware that they own it, but at this point I'm not expecting anything to ever come out of it. Final Fantasy just prints too much money compared to anything Legend of Dragoon could do nowadays.
>>
>>10872710
Man that model looks like shit. They really channeled their inner western game dev.
>>
File: 1702845676887955.jpg (33 KB, 640x480)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
Resonance for the XBOX
>>
File: True Fantasy Live Online.jpg (536 KB, 1226x1526)
536 KB
536 KB JPG
It's going to get announced any day now... we just have to be patient... *coughs blood*
>>
if a game was cancelled that means it was bad so its good it was cancelled
>>
>>10872761
SHeeeit, I forgot about this one
>>
>>10872761
What are you talking about. It's still alive and on it's triumphant 20th expansion pack celebrating it's status as the greatest MMO of all time and thus eliminating the need for any and all other online games... hahahahahahaah ;_;
>>
Is Everquest Next retro yet?

>>10872761
Ahh I remember that one too..
>>
>>10871146
Having played one of the most polished fanmade demos that came out, I'm not convinced that the game would have been any good. This is the demo basically on par if not better than what was shown off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QhfLBEDKIc
The novelty of the fish-eye lenses would have gotten stale quickly, the framerate would've sucked on Saturn unless they could've done some serious optimizations, but even then the problem is that it basically looks like Bug 3 but with Sonic. It already would have looked like shit compared to Jumping Flash, but releasing Xtreme next to Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot would've fucking killed Sonic's reputation.
>>
File: 1698200025331939.jpg (172 KB, 1024x768)
172 KB
172 KB JPG
>>10872761
>>
>>10871063
It looked good...
Fuck Epic Games.
>>
starcraft ghost
>>
File: robotech n64.jpg (70 KB, 1280x720)
70 KB
70 KB JPG
There was gonna be a, supposedly, super massive Wing Commander esque Robotech game for the N64 that was apparently in production since before the console launched. Apparently there's some beta shit out there that KIND OF works.
>>
File: nova by joe mad.jpg (244 KB, 1600x1200)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
>>10872836
Oh boy that one hurt a lot of people. But hey she totally got to show up in some shitty fucking moba or whatever the fuck. That almost makes up for it! No I'm not still pissed!
>>
>>10872836
Xbox beta of the game got leaked sometime ago. I have yet to try it myself, originally was only mildly interested because of the sexy female character but the game looked like ass from the start.

https://archive.org/details/starcraftghostxbox_202002
>>
>>10872717
PASBR was a pretty ugly looking game, all things considered.
I was just happy to see Dart again, even if he was never released.
>>
>>10872815
And then Black Desert came along with everyone leaving their fucking horses parked everywhere and it looks like shit.
>>
Resident Evil 1.5. because I am convinced it would've been better than what we got (which is still a great game).
>>10872710
This hurts, The Legend of Dragoon is my favorite JRPG and the only one I tolerate.
>>
>>10873020
Oh and I'm also salty about the Silent Hill game Team Silent was working on being cancelled after Silent Hill 4 was released and the team being disbanded.
>>
>>10871117
This was what later became Banjo-Kazooie, right?
>>
>>10871146
Kek it’s literally 3D Blast viewed through a sickening fish eye lens.
>>
>>10872559
3DS is officially retro

https://www.gamesradar.com/after-13-years-the-3ds-is-a-retro-console-in-a-new-pokemon-ad-and-millennial-nintendo-fans-cant-handle-it/
>>
>>10872836
warcraft adventures
>>
File: finished games.png (792 KB, 1026x526)
792 KB
792 KB PNG
The worst thing to do is to cancel a finished game
>>
File: mml2-15.png (55 KB, 320x240)
55 KB
55 KB PNG
>>10872468
Mega Man Legends not having a conclusion and ending on a cliffhanger makes this series even more legendary. ZXA ended on a cliffhanger too but honestly Zero 4 feels like the conclusion to the whole saga not counting the Legends games. ZX and ZXA are just filler and they aren't even that good
Also play Misadventures of Tron Bonne, it's great.
And if you want something similar to Legends 3 graphics-wise I recommend Ape Escape 3
>>
>>10873020
>Resident Evil 1.5. because I am convinced it would've been better than what we got (which is still a great game).

It really wouldn't have. That's the reason it was cancelled in the first place.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (10 KB, 188x267)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>10871063
>>
>>10873121
ZX games unironicly has a better gameplay engine just because it plays more closer to the X games, such as Zero's multihitting slash.
>>
>>10873463
Reminds me of that Dirty Harry game for the PS3
>>
>>10873078
Just because The Pokemon Company is retarded, doesn't mean it is.
>>
File: GCn9OF_W0AANSe_.jpg (110 KB, 543x690)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
I'm really sad Vectorman never succeeded as a reoccurring ip I feel like it was one of those franchises that could've survived pasts the 90s. The fact that there were like 3 different versions of this game with the same title is so saddening to me.
>>
>>10872710
A new LoD would certainly sell better than XVI at least
>>
>>10873463
To be honest, Taxi Driver could never work as a game, and hearing the plan for it, yeah, it wouldn't have worked
>>
>>10873078
Sticky doesn't say it's retro, it's not retro
>>
>>10871117
How does a game that looks this good not get finished? It just doesn't make any sense to me
>>
>>10872603
Nobody was putting CPUs in NES carts in 1990, the point isn't what can be done with today's tech it's that it was done bitd. That and the ROM image is still missing and it's Hellraiser ffs so pretty intriguing - if you had the ROM it would be easy enough to clone the board just looking at the pic but no ROM makes that kind of pointless.
>>
>>10872603
>>10874128
Was there ever any additional information disclosed about how much work had actually been done on Hellraiser NES? While in theory it would be cool, knowing that it was a Color Dreams game makes me doubt that whatever they'd have managed to put together would've been anywhere near as impressive as it sounds on paper.
>>
>>10873726
Sure it could have. You have to drive black guys around 70s new york and listen to them talk about how they want to kill their cheating girlfriends. You have to follow traffic laws but get them to their destinations before Travis' racism meter fills up.
>>
>>10871117
Would have loved this shit as a kid
>>
>>10872710
Final Fantasy isn't printing shit unless it involves mmo money-only items
>>
For me being a huge fan of No Mercy on the 64 to find out that there's going to be another sequel called WWF Backlash and it was about 30-40% done. Should have been released as a last hurrah.
>>
>>10873475
>missing the wii u
tendies are delusional
>>
>>10874232
>push x QuickTime event to keep your Meter low
>QTE to bite the curb! To fully clear your meter
>>
>>10874232
So Crazy Taxi, but dark.
>>
File: IMG_3986.jpg (195 KB, 680x956)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
Snake’s Plissken’s First Escape

Escape From New York is my favorite movie ever and even though this was probably going to be an average experience, I still would have loved it.
PS2 era was amazing for video games based on 1980s properties. The Thing and The Warriors immediately come to mind.

The front cover shows Escape From LA Snake for a reason I don’t quite understand (probably wasn’t the final cover), but the game itself was a prequel to Escape From New York.

Robocop got a game, a very good one, in 2024 so I hold on to hope that one day we will get an actual EFNY game but it’s a longshot. I personally think a solo survival experience in an open world prison city is a bold and unique idea. That wasn’t what the PS2 game was going to be, but that’s how you should do it now.
>>
>>10873078
Damn.... I'm realizing the 3DS is the last Nintendo system I really cared about. I'm old as fuck so yeah that checks out. Honestly, in 2 years this board might actually consider it retro (it would be 15 years old).
>>
>>10873121
mml aesthetic was just amazing
I would have played 10000 hours of mml content if it existed, not because the gameplay was exceptional. It wasn't. It was addictive. But because the aesthetic was just so spot on.
>>
>>10872857
1 mission in starcraft she's in after that she hangs around the armory cloaked and a cut scene in HoTs
Along 4th Expansion with 6 missions

Few characters from ghost got reused in starcraft II also
>>
I wouldn't say that this game 'hurts me' for being cancelled. But it is one that I have had a morbid fascination with:

https://youtu.be/70adjRmMveE

The game was in development by Scavenger, and uses every graphical effect the devs could come up with for the Genesis hardware. This version was cancelled and the project was pushed over to the 32X under the name Heavy Machinery. The 32x version was cancelled as well.
>>
>>10875391
32x version.
>>
>>10873078
I think most people class it as retro at this point. Great little system too
>>
>>10875337
Try "visual style" and "world building".
>>
>>10873726
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO051SIewpI
It looks stupid as fuck and extremely mediocre, but still better (and somehow potentially less stupid) than both the Sopranos beat-em-up and the Scarface game.
>>
File: Fallout_van_buren.png (268 KB, 512x300)
268 KB
268 KB PNG
>>10871063
The real Fallout 3, van buren.
Some fan is onto it to recreate the real Fallout 3 in F2 engine: Fallout yesterday
Also Shadowrun 2 on SNES didn't came though Drake mentioned it.
>>
>>10875782
I don't think it looks too bad. If I was a kid and I got it I would probably have enjoyed it for a bit.
>>
>>10873042
IIRC, yes, more experimentation on the N64 eventually led to BK
>>10873734
Probably way too late in the console's life and this is probably just a tech demo and that's all that was ever made
>>
>>10872710
>Final Fantasy just prints too much money compared to anything Legend of Dragoon could do nowadays.
Actually Square are such fuck ups and has been so for years that they managed to alienate the old fans and FF sales really aren't good compared to the budget they put in them. Hence why they're currently milking FF7 for all its worth and even that isn't working all that well currently
FF is done
>>
>>10875859
In fairness, Square was pretty deceptive with how they handled the FF7 Remake. The split the entire game up episodically, and then they called it "Remake" when it was really more of a reimagining. And they released FF7R at the tail end of the PS4's lifespan, meanwhile FF7R P2 is still exclusive to PS5. And while there's more PS5 owners now than at launch, most people's financial situations aren't great to where they can afford to constantly shell out for $70 + tax on new releases.
FF14 really is keeping the entire company afloat, its really shocking.
>>
>>10871063
I suppose I would have liked to see X-Women for Genesis come out.
>>
File: 34bce_tlaloc_tak4.jpg (162 KB, 640x448)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
>>10871063
A lot of the shit I held a torch for eventually came out or got leaked.

I was hoping against hope for years that Star Fox 2 would get an official release, and then I was kinda bummed out when it did and it ended up being 99% identical to the version available on the internet for years. Then I thought it might be neat if somebody found those old Star Fox 2 builds from magazines and show floors that looked nothing like the final game, and those turned up during the gigaleak.

I suck ass at RTS games, but I always loved the aesthetics and setting of Starcraft, so it always frustrated me that Ghost never came out, but then a build of that got leaked a few years back, albeit only containing a small chunk of the game.

Always dreamed of getting SW Battlefront 3 as a child, salivating at that footage one of the devs intentionally leaked to try and get people interested, and then the assets for that leaked a few years ago. Modders are basically slowly trying to piece them together into a more stable and functioning state, as well as reconstruct it into a Battlefront 2 mod.

About all that's left are the OP N64 iteration of Mother 3 (and I never really got into 3 compared to EarthBound, that's more just for curiosity's sake), the original version of the fourth Tak game before that got turned from a proper sequel for the others into a shitty tie-in for the shitty CGI cartoon, Star Wars 1313, and the allegedly fully completed HD collection of the SW Rogue Squadron games for the Wii.
>>
>>10871117
>le hueg sprites
>le prerendered graphics
It’s better off cancelled
>>
>>
>>10871072
I didn't even know this was a thing. But that's probably mine already. I love Lufia.
>>
>>10871063
Would have been a cool little game

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.