[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: forever.jpg (79 KB, 809x800)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
Rayman thread.

I've only played and got stuck on Rayman GBC and beat Legends, but I'm going to start from the beginning with the original Rayman MS-DOS version.

Looking at the games in the series, there are some entries that are confusing.
For starters, the original Rayman has a few different versions. I'm pretty sure the GBC game is different than the original MS-DOS/Sega/Atari/PS release, but supposedly the GBA also has a game called Rayman, and so does the Nintendo DSi. Does anybody know the differences?

And again, the GBA has a Rayman 3, a 2D game released at the same time as the console, 3D version of Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc, but then the GBA also has a game called Hoodlum's Revenge, are the GBA games different?

And,.. Rayman Rush, for the PS, is a "demake" as Rayman M for the PS2 which was released earlier, but also named Rayman Arena for the Gamecube?
>>
Jag version >>>>>>>>> all others
>>
File: 1693054773750430.jpg (78 KB, 404x349)
78 KB
78 KB JPG
>>10871090
I'd advise against the GBA and DSi versions of 1, not bad, just console / PC versions are better. I'll wait for someone else to weigh in on which is best.
Rayman 3 GBA is seperate, Hoodlums revenge is a seperate game.
If I recall rightly, M was a PS2 exclusive in Europe, then Arena had more content added and released for more platforms in America. Rush is just a weird demake as you said, it's just racing, while M/Arena have battle modes too.
>>
>>10871095
Why tho?
There are a lot of interesting differences between console versions. For example, the Jaguar lacks the lighting effects with the firefly in Eat at Joe's. One part of Pink Plant Woods has fog effects only in the PS1 version. There are other level alterations, and different music formats.
>>
File: 1706228637247326.jpg (74 KB, 736x483)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>10871205
>I'd advise against the GBA and DSi versions of 1, not bad, just console / PC versions are better
I was assuming as much if they were ports of the original.
>>
I played a fuckton of Rayman games as a kid, I never beat 1 however. Everyone is saying that it's very hard so I'm afraid to even try it now. I want to beat it though. Just how hard is it really? Compared to NES platformers like Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania and Mega Man
>>
>>10871380
The biggest problem is the straight broken continues system. Idk if any official versions fixed that.

>>10871090
From what I recall, the PS1/Jag and PC/GBA versions had different level layouts.
>>
>>10871090
if someone stole his shoes and gloves, would he just be a fleshlight?
>>
>>10871380
>Just how hard is it really?
haven't played any of those games you subsequently mention but like, unreasonable-to-complete-without-cheats levels of hard. i have never played a harder game
maybe you've played crash 1, it's easily harder than that. the stormy ascent level they added as DLC in the remake is the only point of comparison i can think of, imagine if ~50% of the levels are on that level of difficulty
>>
>>10871090
>the "demake" brain poisoning
>>
Eurojank gameboy games are an improvement on this formula. But Rayman only got off the ground after the second game
>>
>>10871760
Yes I did 100% Crash 1
>unreasonable-to-complete-without-cheats levels of hard. i have never played a harder game
> imagine if ~50% of the levels are on that level of difficulty
I never played the remake but I can imagine the difficulty, holy shit... Yeah nah, I'm not playing Rayman 1 I guess lmao
>>
>>10871090
just gonna drop in a mod recommendation if u plan on playing the pc version of each game, this launcher pretty much collects all the essential fixes and QOL stuff you might want.
for rayman 1 the music fix is pretty much essential
>https://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25761

that being said, if you don't mind emulating then rayman 1 sports a higher resolution on sat/ps1, if u compare with pc it looks very cropped.
Rayman 2 on dc has sharper textures than pc and widescreen support (there's a mod on pc but you'll see tons of pop-in around the corners).
Rayman 3 is actually fine on pc and there's an HD texture mod if that's ur thing
>>
>>10871932
you could try playing with the in-game infinite continues cheat, it makes it somewhat reasonable. i recommend looking up locations of cages when you get toward the end because some of them seem impossible to find organically
>>
Playing Rayman 2 (Dreamcast version), its got such an amazing atmosphere.
>>
>>10872379
Emulation? I have to try it eventually. Also Revolution even if it has some shitty and pointless changes.
>>
>>10874385
>Emulation? I have to try it eventually
Yep and I used redream to emulate it. It's surprising how small even early 3d games are, it hardly takes up any space on my laptop.
>>
>>10871090
you should definitely emulate the ps1 version of 1
it has much better graphics and sound than the pc port
>>
File: PeterMoyai.png (302 KB, 400x400)
302 KB
302 KB PNG
>>10871090
GBA is a semi-demake. Mostly faithful but it suffers from screencrunch and the OST is pretty butchered even if I do find it charming
DSi is more faithful but makes some quirky changes on account of making the whole experience easier.
I'd say either play the PS1 (or Saturn) version if you want a pure vision, or play the fan remake Redemption if you want a better-balanced game. Rayman 1 suffers from a clear lack of QA in large stretches.
>>
Beat the Cavern of Bad Dreams; have to say, I'm liking how the platforming is improving over the course of the game.
>>
had the ps1 and pc versions as a kid, think i only ever got as far as the music place
>>
>>10874837
>"demake"
>>
PS1 is the best version by far. Revolution gets shilled all the time but it changes too much and has some shit additions.
>>
>>10877696
technically it's a gbmake
>>
One thing that I was not expecting going into this game was how shit the music was going to be. Like how the fuck is Bandland mostly instruments just 'farting' notes without any composition or melody whatsoever?
>>
>>10871095
Jag version interests me the worst, it's got the weirdest differences like Candy Chateau being completely different and having objects that wouldn't reappear until Rayman Designer
>>
>>10880951
Fuck, meant to write most, not worst
>>
>>10880852
OST is weird. Sometimes it's fantastic and sometimes it's just ambient noise. I love it though. This is probably my favourite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-o-grYSAYo
>>
>>10880852
Seriously? Rayman 2 has a fantastic OST

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.