[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: images.png (6 KB, 240x210)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
Does anybody have the quote or interview or whatever it is where the people at square are trying to explain to Nasir turn-based combat and he's utterly confused and he says something like "why does the enemy have to wait a turn? why wouldnt he just fall down when you attack him?"
>>
>>10871552
I don't but that sounds based.
>>
>your characters are turn-based
>enemies are real-time
The hardest RPG genre...
>>
>stab a fucker
>he doesn't die
doesn't really make sense when you think about it
>>
>Nasir is an action game nig
>>
>>10871552
why did they even get this retard, it doesn’t make sense to me
>>
>>10871618
Nasir was "famous" at the time for his work on early 80s computer shooters. Square hired him because of that
>>
I am here to deliver

>"I was a huge fan of his," Sakaguchi said. "When the president bought him into the company, I was all 'Wow, it's Nasir, let me have your autograph!' It was the first time he had programmed anything like an RPG, though, so it was tough. I had to explain basically everything about how an RPG worked before we could begin. I'd say 'The character's hit points go down at this point' and he'd reply 'What're hit points? If he's hit, why doesn't he just fall down?' After a certain point, I gave up explaining everything to him and just said 'Don't worry about it, just code it!'"

https://web.archive.org/web/20130921061149/http://www.1up.com/news/hironobu-sakaguchi-final-fantasy-roller-coaster
>>
He would've loved Persona 3 FES
>>
>>10871635
I hadn't known he was famous prior to the FF games. I'm surprised he was, since my perception of FF1 was that it was full of bugs. It's almost notable to me primarily because of the sheer number of mechanics that don't function right.
>>
>>10872229
He was famous in the Apple ][ scene and early JRPG devs were all appleheads who played Ultima and Wizardry on their original platform.
>>
>>10872229
FF1-3 are impressive when you realize it's main programmer had NO idea what a RPG was.
>>
>>10872229
There a reason I put famous in quotes. Like
>>10872240
said he was famous to a very limited number of people
>>
Did they not think about getting a mock board game out to demonstrate turn based combat?
>>
It would honestly make the genre much more entertaining if characters actually fell down or had more than one pain animation in JRPGs. Fuck it, ragdoll the whole party after a bomb blows up, have fun with it.
>>
>>10872297
Apparently only one person ever talked to him, over the phone, because Nasir didn't speak japanese
>>
>Nasir
>>
>be making one of earliest jrpgs ever (like ff/dq or w.e.)
>relatively new for the time
>one person understandably is new to it
>/vr/ autists have to autism over this
>>OMG hOw cOulD thEy hIre pErsOn??
>>it's actually l-le based! he's dunking on the genre haha get it xd
>>I dOn't UndErsTaNd!!
kys this is fucking nothing
>>
>>10872520
I just thought the "why wouldn't they fall over" line was funny
>>
>>10872571
Is this why Garland wants to knock you down?
>>
>>10872520
God I hate video games so much.
>>
File: carloooos.jpg (11 KB, 210x240)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>10872571
>>10872586
>>
>>10872154
Boomers:
>What're hit points? If he's hit, why doesn't he just fall down?
Zoomers:
>What're hit points? If he's hit, why doesn't he just fall down?
>>
Nasir was a giod programmer and programmed the only hits Square got at the time. Rad Racer was really impressive for the time and hardware.
>>
>>10872520
anon the concept of hitpoints was already ancient at that point
>>
>>10871592
Similar logic was used in the original Ultima games. Because the player essentially has Chim, enemies are allowed to attack at angles but the player is not, to balance things out.
>>
>>10871618
>creates incredibly successful, beloved, famous game that spawns an earth-shatteringly thriving franchise (and then goes on to make other incredibly successful beloved famous games)
>game has bugs you didn't even know about your whole life until Youtube was invented so some oily söy influencer can tell you about them [or you're a zoomer faggot and this game was made before you were born]
>OHHH IT WAS BAD GAME OHHH SO POOR CODE I GET MAD >:{

This all that's on your agenda to shriek about today, zoomzoom? Got anything else you want to get off your sunken chest?
>>
>>10872520
If you do the mixed case thing I immediately assume you're retarded.
>>
>>10872804
What you assume doesn't matter because you're the zoomer faggot.
>>
Sounds to me like Sakaguchi was jelly of Nasir being the face of Final Fantasy and the driving force being it (as well as the other successful titles he worked on like Rad Racer and 3-D World Runner). So when Nasir left the company despite now being at a higher position, which is an unreedemable sin in Japan, Sakaguchi saw the opportunity to become the face of the company, the "creator of Final Fantasy", and "the man that saved Square multiple times over", but in order to do that, you gotta start by destroying the reputation of the only face (ads) and name (all over the games title screens) people knew about.

Reminder that during the making of FF2, Nasir's work visa expired. The entire dev team followed him to California. If he was a bad programmer they would have replaced him. Even if he was "just a good programmer", they would have replaced him.
Also he hads hands in more things he has been given credit for as proved at least by a document that hints at him working on Rad Racer 2 despite not being credited for it.
>>
>>10872904
It sounds to me like none of this happened and it's just cultists putting ridiculous weight on meaningless historical nonsense like any paparazzi-chasing celebrity cum eater
>>
Thinking he wouldn't know what hit points are is so stupid and gullible. Any video game in which you or the enemy doesn't die in one hit has hit points, they may or may not be shown on the screen like in RPGs, but it's the exact same concept on the programming side.
>>
>>10872928
But in those games the enemy falls down when you hit them
>>
>>10872154
>>10871552
Wow. by FF1 I think rpgs are already deviating from the source material. All he'd need to do is play a single D&D session with Nassir and explain it all. These are abstractions to simulate complex combat situations. And since FF1 borrows so heavily from D&D, it gives the impression that they have the monster manuals to steal from, but they're not actually plyaing the games.

but j-rpgs ended up being "4 guys in a row" genre, which implies that the creators do NOT know it's an abstraction and that it's literally two rows of guys trading blows. That's why rpgs in Japan stagnated.

>>10871607
Yeah, he sounds a better fit for Falcom to be honest senpai.
>>
>say something retarded in op
>literal horde of midwits digest it as true and spend all day coming up with soapbox preaching reasons to explain why it's bad
>not one single one ever investigates to see whether it's true or not
you people are so easy to manipulate
>>
>>10872735
Technically, most Western games were the most impressive. Not exactly the most well designed, but the most ambitious.
>>
If you've never seen someone spew bullshit on a coworker's back to make himself look and feel better then you've never worked in your life.
>>
>>10872154
>What're hit points? If he's hit, why doesn't he just fall down?'
Based. Fucking nerds with their convoluted logic. If you hit the motherfucker, why doesn't he fall down is he a zombie?
>>
>>10873004
You didn't bother to read the thread did you?
>>
>>10873094
The "proof" delivered ITT isn't the same thing at all as what the OP said though.

If I say "anon said OP is a fag", is it the same thing as OP saying "I'm a fag", and is it the same thing as OP actually being gay?
Yet, people ITT went from the first thing, to the second, to the third, with no issue whatsoever
>>
>>10873128
Let's agree that you are a fag and no one disagrees.
>>
>>10871552
I always found it hysterical that a game with broken code, specials and items that are not working and fucked up leveling and magic system boasts a proud "programmed by" card at the title, like, zero fucking self-consciousness.
>>
File: SquareRPGS.jpg (709 KB, 2430x796)
709 KB
709 KB JPG
There are 4 RPGs published by Square before Final Fantasy, 3 of which at a time when Nasir was already working for the company.

And we're supposed to believe that he had no idea what an RPG was. All while, at the same time, the hottest most successful game everyone talked about at the time was Dragon Quest 2; and he would also have been unaware of that for months.

You are all gigantic retards for believing this.
>>
>>10872808
>you're the zoomer faggot
Dumb ESL.
>>
>>10873224
Nasir did not speak Japanese. He would have never played these.
>>
>>10873128
I am the OP and I am the one that posted the source. Obviously I misremembered the exact quote as it had been three years since I last saw it and I was asking if anybody knew what I was talking about, but the essence of what Sakaguchi said was not completely different from what I posted.
>>
File: 245245sdfgsdfg.png (76 KB, 776x646)
76 KB
76 KB PNG
>>10873224
their sole sprite artist had no idea what video games were despite directly working on the development software herself, it's not too far-fetched

the man was a pure mercenary in his style, just another job to him with no indication he even gave a shit about market trends. working with just a design document in a complete vacuum with disregard to the industry was not unheard of. the man couldn't give a flying fuck about FF even today after it's made him well-off in retirement
>>
>>10873332
>>10873303
What you're saying amounts to saying he has been working for the company for months with no idea what the company did before he joined, nor is he aware of what the company is doing while he's working there. And we're supposed to believe that. He wasn't some contractor hired just for Final Fantasy, he had been there for months, working on several big projects.
>>
>>10873348
>You really expect me to believe this American guy who didn't live in Japan and didn't speak or read Japanese wasn't intimately familiar with 100% of the Japanese video games this Japanese company made which he didn't work on personally?
Yes.
>>
>>10872423
>You will never have fine quality copper.
Why even live?
>>
>>10873368
>Yes.

Even at the time, Square was best known for their RPGs in Japan. Their best selling titles before Final Fantasy were Deep Dungeon 1 and 2 and Cleopatra no Mahou, which performed better than 3-D World Runner and Rad Racer in Japan. It would be impossible for an employee not to know that. It would be like someone working in a barber shop not knowing they trim beards because his job is cutting hair.
>>
>>10873471
>it would be impossible for the American contractor who doesn't live in Japan or know Japanese to have never played these Japanese games
Why are you so confident about this retarded assumption? Even if he knew the titles of those games and that they were popular (which we can't actually know) there's no reason to assume he ever played them or knew anything about their gameplay.
>>
>>10873471
It's more analogous to working in a publishing house, and of course it makes sense that different teams aren't aware of every single project being made, especially contract employees, especially foreign employees that don't speak japanese, and especially employees brought in after those games were made.
>>
>>10873480
You're really stretching now, bringing the interview out of its context. Sakaguchi's quote is obviously talking about the development of FF1, which happened after 3-D World Runner and Rad Racer. Nasir had been there for 6-8 months already, both in Japan and with Square. Also, documents show that they communicated between each others both in English and Japanese.

>>10873548
>and of course it makes sense that different teams aren't aware of every single project being made

No it doesn't, it's not like they were publishing a tons of games per year at that point. It's not like they were some obscure titles, again, they were the best sellers

>brought in after those games were made.

3 of the 4 games I mentionned were published while he was working on 3-D World Runner and Rad Racer

>contract employees
He wasn't an independent contractor, he was directly hired by Square

All of this of course, is without mentionning that he had been developping computer games since 1980. But nope, never heard of Wizardry or Ultima or all their clones I guess, not like they were well known titles right

In conclusion you're all really stretching here, changing the context, inventing things, dismissing the obvious; all because you're too stuborn to admit you were gullible enough to believe everything you read in an interview which by all logic should trigger anyone's red flags
>>
>>10873568
>Sakaguchi's quote is obviously talking about the development of FF1, which happened after 3-D World Runner and Rad Racer. Nasir had been there for 6-8 months already, both in Japan and with Square.
What part of this guarantees Nasir was familiar with those other games?
>>
>>10871552
>Nasir
>Iranian
Oh i bet all the hate ITT is from the tunnel pedos
>>
>>10874498
I don't know what you mean by that, but you made me realize a good half of the haters are probably poltards and somehow that had never occured to me, now I regret ever engaging in the discussion (the other half being impressionable people who believe everything they read as long as it's the first thing they read)

I don't know why that never occured to me since the "he was a foreigner therefore he was stupid" I've seen being brought up multiple times
>>
File: Nasir.jpg (13 KB, 269x239)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>doesn't know Nihongo nor what's an RPG
>makes one for a Japanese console anyways
Based AF
>>
>>10875234
You're taking this thread way too seriously. I just thought it was funny how innocently he supposedly reacted, according to Sakaguchi. Most people here aren't hating, including the ones that are convinced it's an accurate quote, and the ones that are hating are obviously trolling.
>>
>>10871607
He did a lot of racing and action games. Which are better genres, but here we are.
>>
>>10873008
Part of that is a computer vs. console thing as well. There were impressive Japanese PC games. Probably as much a question of audience as anything though.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.