[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

File: fm07.jpg (128 KB, 451x567)
128 KB
128 KB JPG
>"Why does everyone ask about Chrono Trigger?" he laughed. We told him it's a very loved series. "That's not what the sales tell me!" he responded.
>"If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"
- Shinji Hashimoto
>>
>>10871939
>Print 9 copies
>it's your fault the game didn't sell
Classic Square
>>
He wrecked all the Square troons
He's a gigachad
But he also soiled the good name of Saint Toriyama
So he's decidedly uncool
>>
Who?
>>
Didn't Cross and Gears sell worse?
>>
>>10871939
I've reached a point where I almost consider "vote with your dollar" to be a logical fallacy.
>>
>>10871939
If every great piece of art made all the money they deserved, there would be no such thing as cult classics. If anything it prolly had something to with advertising, marketing, number of units, exposure, etc. That's usually what tends to kill quality films/games.
>>
>>10871939
He's not wrong.
>>
just sounds salty that he can't put out mario numbers
>>
>>10872267
It's a fine line to walk. You get the average person buying mediocre products, because it's advertised to them and they don't have very high standards. You can get things with depth to sell, but it usually just costs more to produce than said generic product that is sure to sell a set amount of units based on average buying trends. CEOs need them extra millions every quarter or else their egos get bruised.
>>
He was talking about the NDS port, he is a producer so he doesn't know shit about games, give the guy some slack.
>>
A lot of SNES got beloved later because they were what you could play on an emulator in the late 90s, and everyone wanted to play Square games because FFVII.

And losers who liked RPGs went to the internet to talk about games because no one wanted to talk to them in real life, and they ended up being the early colonists that set the tone for everyone later. Funny how those things work out.
>>
>>10872742
>NDS port
There's your problem. Normal people do not buy ports or remakes. If you want my money then release a true sequel, not an unrelated game that's borrowing the name of a good game.
>>
>>10872741
It really depends on the company and its size and also to an extent how non dickish they are regarding IPs. For a recent example, Songbird productions has been doing official reprints of fucking Nuon games and they most recently got the rights to reprint Tempest 3000 from Atari. That right there is an extremely niche product for an extremely limited set of buyers, yet these two companies were able to come to an agreement to do so. SquareAnus is quantifying profits on million dollars sales, at minimum. It's why they wont take risks on niche things, even if they would see a return on smaller projects or rereleases of older games. It's simple not enough money for them to waste time and resources to do to focus on a small "minority fanbase" asking for a product, when they can instead focus on the bigger product that they assume more people will buy. It sucks, but its a tipping point where they stop seeing profit in smaller releases and there is a disconnect between the guys running the company and those on the ground floor who may have a desire to do these passion products or going back to old stuff.
>>
>>10872754
>not an unrelated game that's borrowing the name of a good game.
So most sequels?
>>
>>10872830
And yet every flipping SaGa game is getting loving remasters, explain that with your science
>>
>>10872883
gotta give the unpaid interns something to do
>>
>>10872883
SaGa was always decently regarded in Japan and sold enough for that market to be worth it. It's only in the recent few years been getting localized and those are all just English options in the Asian/Japanese releases.(unless there was a direct US/Euro release I am not aware of) I think the new one is the first time we are getting a directly published one in the west since Unlimited.
>>
>>10872898
The Romancing remasters + Frontier 1 all got physical releases in the US, plus Scarlet Grace getting a digital release with a full (and actually pretty good) dub.

Square really is showing SaGa some love these days.
>>
>>10872753
Funny your headcanon.
>>
>>10872106
Evangelion pilot
>>
>>10871939
Shit always sells better than art. That's how it was, that's how it will be. Average subhuman wants whatever marketing will tell him to want.
>>
>>10873108
> That's how it was, that's how it will be.
With a M, with an I, with a K, with an E
>>
>>10873073
He is not wrong at all.

RPGs are the easiest genre of game to play if you are running an emulator without a controller. They are also really easy to savestate and pick up where you left off if you just want to grind a few encounters while you are waiting for dinner or something. Also if you have emulator jank like frame skipping, input lag, etc it does not really matter that much since it's turn based.

Good fucking luck trying to play Mortal Kombat 3 on a keyboard or any other game that has tight inputs / circular dpad motions / multiple button combos.

t. 90s emulator user
>>
>>10874557
>Final Fantasy IV SNES 1991 1,840,000
>Super Metroid SNES 1994 1.42
Was this the product of the so called rpg colonists too?
>>
>oh you want new game?!
>Well only if you buy this shitty port/remaster/collection first!

Modern gaming
>>
File: 6ytPJ3JuK7cmubFTfA9tcJ.jpg (178 KB, 1920x1080)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>10874557
>Good fucking luck trying to play Mortal Kombat 3 on a keyboard or any other game that has tight inputs / circular dpad motions / multiple button combos.
well you say that but shit like this exists
>>
>>10871949
srsly
that whole era was just
>oh westerners dont like RPGs
yea maybe cuz you didnt fucking localize 90% of them. or did, and just half-assed it and barely made any carts to sell

even dumber when you realize how niche RPGs were over in japan, compared to every geek and his mother playing D&D in the states. if anything we were probably the biggest potential market for such games.
i mean JRPGs obviously are not D&D, but the narrative was always that we were "scared of all the numbers". even though most of us were used to dealing with substantially more complex mechanics and doing the math in our heads
>>
>>10871949
More like
>make a practically barebones port of a decades-old game (Chrono Trigger for DS)
>no one buys it
>this justifies our lack of effort
Scumbag Square suit.

>>10872742
Fuck off, fanboy defender.
>>
>>10876858
>"scared of all the numbers".
The japs have been using excuses like this for their fuckups for well over 30 years now. It's always some trite line about how it's too complicated or too hard for western audiences. Then time and again it's the western audiences that absolutely destroy such notions. The original Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't brought to the west because they thought the stupid lazy gaijin couldn't handle it. Meanwhile the west embracing games like Battletoads. Decades letter the difficulty lie would be repeated which helped Demon's Souls and Dark Souls become a huge success. Fire Emblem was another such case in which Japan thought that it was just too tough of a game for the stupid westerner. Yet Super Smash Bros. Melee happened and people said, hey who are these Roy and Marth guys? Japan had to have their arm pulled to finally port some Fire Emblem games and look at the series now! Well, don't look at Engage, but overall the series became a big success in the west as well.
Yet everytime the Japs frame it as the game was just too complicated or hard for the west. Meanwhile the west has niggers that play MODERN YUGIOH! They'll make this same mistake again and again act shocked that anyone in the west could possibly like a complicated or difficult game, because when they do, it reminds the Japs that they're not as superior to everyone else as they tell themselves they are.
>>
>>10876872
Don't forget
>charge $10 more than literally every other game on the shelf because you expect the public to Buy It Anyway off of name alone.
>>
>>10877225
Damn, based psychoanalysis. As a Japanese ex-pat, I have no argument.
>>
>>10877225
>The original Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't brought to the west because they thought the stupid lazy gaijin couldn't handle it.
Also it was three years later from Mario 1 and it still looked like a launch title despite how much graphics had improved since then.
>>
>>10877225
>harder Ninja Gaiden
>harder version of Streets of Rage 3
>Contra Hard Corp -HARDER!
>more tedium (metroid)
>poor translations (LoZ)
But playing Ys with your dick in your other hand or goddamn Normie Fantasy 3 is too hard? Stinky Takeshi eating fucking soba and playing NES on his floor in 1988 was not a gamer.
>>
>>10877268
Glad you mentioned that, as right after posting, I remembered that its MSRP was a full-price DS game's (or at least that, if the $10 extra premium you mentioned is true). Saddest part is that Square is even worse and more mediocre of a company than they were back then over a decade ago, now also being a Chinese company.
>>
>>10877446
I will always remember it. At the time, DS games were $30, with two exceptions: Pokemon Heart Gold/Soul Silver (which included the Pokewalker), and Chrono Trigger, which were $40.
>>
>>10877454
I remember there being a price hike from GBA games (always $30 I think), and some games being $40, but details are so minor in my memory. Now that you mention it, I think that premium price was a major reason why I didn't get it (while I did happily get SoulSilver at launch), besides the fact that I thought this should've been released as GBA port if they weren't going to polygonally remake it a la FFIII-IV I was also holding out for a DS port of FF7 for the lifetime of the console, so this decision of theirs was especially a twisting of the knife; thanks for reading my unnecessary blog
>>
>>10873108
>Average subhuman wants whatever marketing will tell him to want.

As it should be! The majority of the human race are nothing more than cattle that exist to mindlessly eat slop and be milked dry.
>>
>>10877714
I honestly never thought of this, but you are right. It is kinda mind boggling they didn't bring 7 to the DS and 8 and 9 to 3DS.
>>
>>10871949
True, Chrono Trigger didn't even get an official release here in Australia until 2009 for the DS.

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.