[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vm / vmg / vr / vrpg / vst / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / pw / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / vt / wsg / wsr / x / xs] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

[Advertise on 4chan]

IDG why this is seen as such a difficult game, it's really not hard at all once you memorize where all the enemies are. They should try Starship Hector or Star Force if they want a NES shmup that takes no prisoners.
>>
>>10872008
>shmup that takes no prisoners
What are some easier SHMUPS? I'm a scrub, you see.
>>
>>10872038
Gradius is pretty easy. If you want to play Star Force play the Famicom one, it's easier than the US version which is one of the toughest overall games in the NES library.
>>
>>10872038
Axelay on SNES is fairly easy and one that I often recommend to anyone inexperienced with the genre.
>>
>>10872008
Honestly the hardest level in this game is Firelord and yeah even that is not that bad. Just that first section is a bit annoying
>>
>>10872008
The biggest issue with SS is the bullshit hit boxes.
>>
HE LOOKS SO STUPID
>>
>>10872008
the Follins music is pretty cool and there's the novelty of this being just about the only Western-developed NES shmup but mostly yeah it's just rote memorization and shooting uninteresting enemies that charge towards you in a straight line.
>>
>>10872038
Tyrian
>>
now dont use turbo
>>
>>10872008
>is not that hard
>ignores the huge hitbox that takes almost half screen.
try to bai harder next time fag.
>>
File: 1703166096883398.png (7 KB, 512x448)
7 KB
7 KB PNG
>>10872008
>those hitboxes
>>
>>10872109
Is it really the only western shooter on NES?
>>
>>10872038
Elemental Master. You can select among four levels at first, and you have a life bar and can extend your life many times.

Thunder Force III is fairly easy I'm regards of the genre, and you pick up where you left off after deaths/continues.
>>
>>10872303
The only other one I know of is Captain Skyhawk.
>>
>>10872345
There's also an NES port of Flying Shark (Sky Shark), also made by Software Creations with Tim Follin on sound duties.
>>
>>10872345
Was done by Rare.

>>10872419
Rare and SC were quite similar in that they had a very assembly line approach to NES games. They preferred using the same mapper hardware (AxROM in Rare's case and MMC3 128k PRG+128k CHR in SC's case) in almost all of their games because it simplified development and allowed them to reuse a lot of code.
>>
>>10872289

I'm not OP and have played through this game. I highly doubt that that was bait. It's not a trivially easy game but it's not substantially harder than, say, Super Mario Bros. It's just a harsh experience for somebody new to it, since it punishes inexperience swiftly and severely. Reaching the end of it successfully without ever having touched it before should only take a few hours (or less) for a moderately skilled player of action games with an adult's attention span. It can be done in a single sitting.

I think maybe the game is known as being especially difficult for a few reasons:
* It has an amazing soundtrack, which calls attention to it
* It stars Marvel characters so it's easy for ordinary English-speaking people to remember, whereas various Japanese shooty games involving random planes or spaceships or cute alien robot thingies (TwinBee, Fantasy Zone, etc.) can more easily blend together in the mind
* It got an AVGN episode, and AVGN is a bit of a casual player to begin with; on top of that, his show's concept incentivizes him to emphasize a game's rough edges

But I suppose that probably AVGN is the biggest factor by far.
>>
black backgrounds make my pp the big pp
>>
File: cover.jpg (552 KB, 968x1105)
552 KB
552 KB JPG
>>10872038
>What are some easier SHMUPS?
Star Parodier for the PC Engine CD
Very cute and comfy too
>>
>>10872465
>It's just a harsh experience for somebody new to it, since it punishes inexperience swiftly and severely
You can play the levels in SS in any sequence you want (although most people tend to play the Reptyle stage first) so the difficulty in them is all about the same and not gradiated where the game gets harder as you go along.
>>
File: Silver Surfer.jpg (12 KB, 190x162)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>10872105
>tfw you look so stupid

[Advertise on 4chan]

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.